Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

"I literally just told the replicate to make exactly what you told me to tell it to make. If you're food sucks that's on you buddy."

Some rear end in a top hat walks you over the replicator and insists you're ordering it wrong, you have to listen to their inflection and accentuation when you talk to the computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like a problem for the diplomatic team!

Just as long as the diplomatic team lead doesn't bring their dog that keeps on peeing on people.

drat mutt has started far to many interplanetary conflicts.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Some rear end in a top hat walks you over the replicator and insists you're ordering it wrong, you have to listen to their inflection and accentuation when you talk to the computer

That's how you find yourself banished to 28-aft.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

dr_rat posted:

"I literally just told the replicate to make exactly what you told me to tell it to make. If you're food sucks that's on you buddy."

And yeah, other than alien take overs/space anomalies, you really shouldn't have to worry about people causing trouble as like a third of the people in their are probably going to be in security anyway, and if some how no securities there you can probable get some to beam in, in like less than a minute.

Worst you'd have to deal with I guess with be any non federation guest that are a bit surly or whatever.

or Guinan fetches out that huge rifle she keeps behind the bar.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh god with so many member plants and how many new first contacts there seem to continually be, the diplomatic department(?) of the federation must be good drat massive, drat thing if all put together would have to take up a reasonable sized city worth or people all by itself.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Oh god with so many member plants and how many new first contacts there seem to continually be, the diplomatic department(?) of the federation must be good drat massive, drat thing if all put together would have to take up a reasonable sized city worth or people all by itself.

The US State department has 60,000 employees. You could probably populate a planet with the UFP's diplomatic corps.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

The US State department has 60,000 employees. You could probably populate a planet with the UFP's diplomatic corps.

Planet of the diplomats sounds like a good TOS episode. That or a Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy aside.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I never liked the horror scripts

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:discourse:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Planet of the diplomats sounds like a good TOS episode.

Call the planet 'Babel'.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

Call the planet 'Babel'.

"Nimbus III" has a nice ring to it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can you imagine being Ben having to tell Troi in the middle of 10-Forward that he had to send back her Death by Chocolate because she's over her nutritional limits for the month?

Rather be one of the three redshirts accompanying Kirk, Spock, & McCoy down to the Planet of Acid-Based Explosive Rocks that Blow Up if You Look Funny at Them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would assume with Star Trek medicine you can just eat whatever you want and not worry about consequences tbh. You're telling me Crusher can't wave a light over me and get all the plaque out of my arteries from my 100% fried chicken diet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

There needs to be a full 1 second pause between "Tea, earl gray" and "hot" goddammit! :mad:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Can you imagine being Ben having to tell Troi in the middle of 10-Forward that he had to send back her Death by Chocolate because she's over her nutritional limits for the month?

Rather be one of the three redshirts accompanying Kirk, Spock, & McCoy down to the Planet of Acid-Based Explosive Rocks that Blow Up if You Look Funny at Them.

Be great if that happened and Troi just stares at him, and then he starts convulsing and falls on the floor with blood coming out of his eyes because it just turns out Betazoids can do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grand Fromage posted:

I would assume with Star Trek medicine you can just eat whatever you want and not worry about consequences tbh. You're telling me Crusher can't wave a light over me and get all the plaque out of my arteries from my 100% fried chicken diet?

Better yet, with direct manipulation of the molecules involved, the replicators can make stuff that tastes a specific way but has the nutritional content you need (and possibly zero calorie if necessary.)

That would be the dream, order whatever you want and the ship's computer already knows how much you ate per day, your BMR, and how much you exerted yourself on the ship and gives you the exact amount of calories and nutrients you need to be 100% healthy, craving free, and ideal weight.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This is how we got Olestra, you know.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

People have definitely programmed it for human flesh

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

davidspackage posted:

Be great if that happened and Troi just stares at him, and then he starts convulsing and falls on the floor with blood coming out of his eyes because it just turns out Betazoids can do that.

Followed by

Worf: "Captain, I recommend we confine Counselor Troi to quarters, if not the brig. She was the only member of the ship's complement in 10-Forward at the time with psychic powers, and waiter Ben had just delivered bad news to her."

Picard: "I value your input, Mr. Worf, but I am not going to imprison a member of my command crew based on supposition and hearsay."

Worf: *Throws hands in air, slams PADD on table* "Why do you even have a loving security chief, sir?"

Picard: "That'll be all, Mr. Worf." *Turns to replicator as Worf storms out* "Tea, Earl Grey...extra hot." *Muses to self that no one has figured out that 'hot' and its modifiers tell the replicator how much brandy to add to the cup*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"Computer: Ensign Cortez, recipe #2. Hot."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

"Computer: Ensign Cortez, recipe #2. Hot."

Is it better or worse if Cortez is the one placing the order?

I've never read The Philosophy of Star Trek but this is the kind of thing that should have had a chapter or two in there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.tumblr.com/lyroart/674702946623193088

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Better yet, with direct manipulation of the molecules involved, the replicators can make stuff that tastes a specific way but has the nutritional content you need (and possibly zero calorie if necessary.)

That would be the dream, order whatever you want and the ship's computer already knows how much you ate per day, your BMR, and how much you exerted yourself on the ship and gives you the exact amount of calories and nutrients you need to be 100% healthy, craving free, and ideal weight.

I think the computer is limited on what it knows about you when it comes to things like blood sugar levels, nutrients taken in (You might have had a protein bar you had in your pocket from a while back that you didn’t replicate etc) as you still have to have medical scans done to you to find out what’s up. In TMP those little tech looking belt buckles WERE medical scanners that were supposed to feed info to the computer all the time but iirc in one official book they mentioned those were short lived because many SF members started neglecting going to sick bay for regular check ups because they figured the belt info was enough.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Better yet, you could literally program it to generate Long Pig that's using your own genetic structure.

I'm pretty sure that will cause some sort of paradox and destroy the universe, which makes it extremely on brand for a Federation Scientist's Extreme Science

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sash! posted:

Better yet, you could literally program it to generate Long Pig that's using your own genetic structure.

Ten Forward has that sandwich on the menu as the "Tom Riker".

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

bull3964 posted:

Isn't this an actual thing, where Troi is like "Give me a chocolate sundae, a real one, none of this healthy nonsense"?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

Isn't this an actual thing, where Troi is like "Give me a chocolate sundae, a real one, none of this healthy nonsense"?

Yep. It’s in “The Price,” looking it up on MA.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That absolutely falls under the no genetic engineering rules you weird cannibalism pervs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

That absolutely falls under the no genetic engineering rules you weird cannibalism pervs.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ten Forward has that sandwich on the menu as the "Tom Riker".

You're going to have to lobby the Federation Council to close the loophole that classifies this as a transporter accident

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assimilating our culture, that's what they're doing!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Eating your own clone is still murder :hmmyes:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Only if you go through the hassle of making a whole clone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was watching the season 6 DS9 episode the Magnificent Ferengi the other day, and I kept thinking, I know the actor who plays the Vorta Keevan from somewhere. It finally hit me that he was in Gabriel Knight 2: the Beast Within as a researcher at the university where Gabriel has samples of wolf hair tested.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

Eating your own clone is still murder :hmmyes:

That's not what Janeway told me. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

That's not what Janeway told me. :colbert:

That's why Harry Kim was an ensign for 7 years. Voyager went through like 12 of him.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Was watching the season 6 DS9 episode the Magnificent Ferengi the other day, and I kept thinking, I know the actor who plays the Vorta Keevan from somewhere. It finally hit me that he was in Gabriel Knight 2: the Beast Within as a researcher at the university where Gabriel has samples of wolf hair tested.

He also shows up in "Suck" with fellow DS9 actor Nicole de Boer (Ezri)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Christopher Shea, apparently. I see he's been a few other aliens as well, but I really liked him as a Vorta.

Watching Waltz tonight, I find it difficult to tell if I've seen bits of these season 6 episodes back when they were airing, or if I've just seen scenes on youtube in recent years. They feel very new.

Marc Alaimo really gets to go for it, but I find it a shame that the writers over-corrected for Dukat becoming admired by nerds. It's kind of dull how the episode ends with "YES THE BAJORANS DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!"

Dukat was more interesting as a villain who may have done merciful things, but only because of his desperate need to be loved by the same people he looks down on. A lot of the episode covers that, and then it just it goes "see this guy? Evil. Just evil."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

:doh: I thought it was an Iggy Pop joke, I forgot there were two Vorta in that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I'm glad dukat snapped and went mask-off, it's nice to show how horrifying charismatic leader types are just hosed up evil underneath. It probably would've been better if it had happened at the end of the show, though.