Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Should i watch the Bear? I hate the pretenciousness of a great deal of chef related shows, and i can't stand Matty Matheson

For what it's worth for me, the first season didn't quite click for me. It felt like it was trying to find itself and what the show was. The 2nd season was much better, clearer than Season 1. So here are a few reasons to watch:

1) The actors are good, have a great sense of pacing and dialogue.
2) The show doesn't glorify the pretentiousness of the food scene and also doesn't glorify the industry.
3) You need to think of each episode as a mini-play, it feels very stage.

My only thing, I don't get the comedy label. So don't go in looking for lots of sidesplitting humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Of course professionals watch shows of their jobs as long as it's good and isn't too silly about it, alot of these shows have good consultants. Like I've heard Scrubs has some realistic points to it amidst the silliness, and some of the David Kelly shows have some realistic points from my viewpoint.

There really hasn't been a super realistic lawyer show (not a litigator) that I could find other than I don't know movies like a Civil Action or something bc being a lawyer is mostly just pouring over documents and client calls.

Lawyer friends of mine say My Cousin Vinny is the most realistic court movie ever made. But I’m not a lawyer. I’m a software developer. Silicon Valley was pretty accurate to my job in the first couple seasons (even using Agile Sprints and things like that), but I stopped watching it after that.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

swickles posted:

I don't think there is a standout medical show currently aside from first reaponder based ones to be fair.

This is kind of what I meant. Everyone had seen every episode of House by the time I started first year, and most had seen most of Scrubs and GA. That was over 10 years ago.

I don't know a student or colleague now who has watched The Good Doctor or New Amsterdam. And the majority of people I know well enough to discuss TV habits with are doctors.

edit: GA was cool. I almost stopped watching when in the first episode the patient's buzzer pages the intern. But I powered through and liked it.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fictional depictions of scientists tend to be... Well, very fictional, but honestly that is a good thing because the actual work is about as dry as you'd expect. It's nice when they get scientific stuff at least close to the ballpark, like on crime shows sometimes, and if it's just absolute technobabble that's fine too, it moves the character drama along.

I don't imagine actual lawyering is like the antics on Boston Legal, and frankly if real MD's live like the people on Grey's I feel sorry for 'em :smith:

I choose to imagine that actual policemen in the US are an amalgam of Elliot Stabler and Tom Selleck's moustache, however!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I don't know a student or colleague now who has watched The Good Doctor or New Amsterdam. And the majority of people I know well enough to discuss TV habits with are doctors.

New Amsterdam is a little different because (at least in season one), they really pushed for medical accuracy. If an actor wasn't precisely nailing a surgical procedure, they'd have a real surgeon scrub in to do it on camera. Real medical professionals don't wander the hallway loudly discussing their patients, but you know.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

Real medical professionals don't wander the hallway loudly discussing their patients, but you know.

It's adorable that you think that:allears:

Shageletic posted:

Of course professionals watch shows of their jobs as long as it's good and isn't too silly about it, alot of these shows have good consultants. Like I've heard Scrubs has some realistic points to it amidst the silliness, and some of the David Kelly shows have some realistic points from my viewpoint.
Scrubs gets the seal of approvement because the doctors actually research stuff, unlike House that just magically comes up with a diagnosis.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I finally got started on season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire, and I like it so far, but the whole thing with Joe not getting paid for his Cardiff shares doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't it ultimately the buyer's responsibility that the shareholders get paid for the shares that they are buying? Why is the former CEO even involved in this process? It's literally none of his business anymore! If Joe hasn't gotten paid for his shares, then the buyer's owe him money, and he should talk to them directly. This should be a slam-dunk case, but he just gives up, and it isn't even mentioned in episode 2. Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I will keep watching. I took a break after season 1, and when I wanted to start again, the show had disappeared from all streaming services over here and only recently came back. The streaming era can be annoying at times.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

They could make a TV show out of Men Who Hate Women but flesh it out with deeper stuff not in the book.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Lawyer friends of mine say My Cousin Vinny is the most realistic court movie ever made. But I’m not a lawyer. I’m a software developer. Silicon Valley was pretty accurate to my job in the first couple seasons (even using Agile Sprints and things like that), but I stopped watching it after that.

Been a minute since I've seen My Cousin Vinny. But litigating and pretty much any other legal work (like I do) are basically two different jobs. Then the latter category can be broken down by a host of sub jobs only united by being able to research and write well, and having good communication and reasoning skills.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Scrubs gets the seal of approvement because the doctors actually research stuff, unlike House that just magically comes up with a diagnosis.

They're all supposed to be geniuses from Johns Hopkins, McGill, Columbia, and UPenn. But these are the same people who would do the most reading on cases like this. So it tracks.

But it never being lupus? I see SLE all the time.

Shageletic posted:

But litigating and pretty much any other legal work (like I do) are basically two different jobs.

In several European countries they are literally two separate occupations and sometimes professions. Barristers and solicitors in the UK for example. And in Poland attorneys (solicitors) and counsellors (barristers) even have different degrees. An attorney can file your will or give you advice about a merger, and a counsellor can go to court for you. Technically that is. Because you wouldn't go to these people for those things.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 28, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As a history professor, I honestly can't think of a single fictional depiction of my profession at all, accurate or not.

In terms of professors in general I heard from a few people that the Netflix show with Sandra Oh from a few years ago was accurate, but I never watched it.

I will say that in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy being behind on grading term papers is also pretty spot on. And the importance of archive work that he mentions once at the start. But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

As a history professor, I honestly can't think of a single fictional depiction of my profession at all, accurate or not.

It's a movie, but The Man from Earth. Though it doesn't really put the profs in a professional setting, as it were.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rappaport posted:

It's a movie, but The Man from Earth. Though it doesn't really put the profs in a professional setting, as it were.

Big fan of that flick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chairman Capone posted:

I will say that in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy being behind on grading term papers is also pretty spot on. And the importance of archive work that he mentions once at the start. But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

I think how surprising that is may depend on how Harrison-Ford-hot you are.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I also think that the crowd of students represents how absentee of a professor he is. Half the people in that crowd probably wanted to talk to him about how unfair his grade was on their last paper—and they were probably right, because while he was marking it up his mind kept wandering to how he was going to acquire the Cross of Coronado.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Chairman Capone posted:

But being mobbed by students in office hours? I think I had two students total come to office hours in all of last year.

Maybe it depends where you teach? I went to one of the schools from the House post for undergrad and there were very much line-ups.

Some of the more popular/mini-celebrity professors had to have a no closed door policy ostensibly to prevent misunderstandings. Thought the rumour was that this wasn't their own choice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably different before you could email and he had a big stack of unanswered messages on his desk.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Rappaport posted:

It's a movie, but The Man from Earth.

Also a big fan. Never dared to watch the sequel, any good?

There was a show a while back about a trainee lawyer / sex worker by night that a lawyer friend heard was very accurate, at least the former part. (girlfriend experience?) We watched the first couple and the miserable paper shuffling while being abused by/sucking up to seniors is apparently close.

It looked incredibly cold and clinical and not a keeper, though I'm willing to bet at least some of that was due to motion smoothing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

Also a big fan. Never dared to watch the sequel, any good?

It's... Well, it's not. It changes genres and it's just a different type of story. Would not recommend :smith:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Noted, thank you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

It looked incredibly cold and clinical

Yup that's a Soderbergh joint. Now I gotta check it out

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chairman Capone posted:

In terms of professors in general I heard from a few people that the Netflix show with Sandra Oh from a few years ago was accurate, but I never watched it.

God its like National Treasure doesn't exist to you people...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Faculty in the humanities in movies and tv are often vain, selfish obstacles of some kind, sometimes doddering, sometimes stern, sometimes seducers or abusers. They’re almost always a problem. It used to bother me until someone pointed out that obviously the people who write movies and tv shows majored in things in the humanities, so when they met sleazy or horrible professors, they were in the humanities. People who met horrible computer science professors aren’t writing scripts.

It does kind of bother me that US representations of college are so often anti-intellectual, but you can’t tell an exciting story about falling in love with ideas or being encouraged and supported by caring faculty, I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Daniel Jackson had like 3 movies and a whole tv show.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

IRQ posted:

Dr. Daniel Jackson had like 3 movies and a whole tv show.

He also famously flamed out with "ancient alien" :airquote: theories long before reaching tenure

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chairman Capone posted:

In the show Falling Skies the protagonist is a history professor and his skills are apparently useful in starting an uprising against alien invaders?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mu Zeta posted:

In the show Falling Skies the protagonist is a :911: history professor and his skills are apparently useful in starting an uprising against alien invaders?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fighting alien overlords is exactly like fighting the 18th century British colonial forces. With AKs.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

In the show Falling Skies the protagonist is a history professor and his skills are apparently useful in starting an uprising against alien invaders?

I actually watched Falling Skies and completely forgot that he was a history professor. And actually almost all details about the show, or that it even existed, let alone aired for five seasons!?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Well i watched the first episode of The Bear, so much yelling, quick cuts, obscenely close close ups. I'm not sure i can do this.

But Episode 2 the main character falls asleep watching Pasta Grannies and i might just finish the season.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Well i watched the first episode of The Bear, so much yelling, quick cuts, obscenely close close ups. I'm not sure i can do this.

But Episode 2 the main character falls asleep watching Pasta Grannies and i might just finish the season.
It's good but it's very stressful. I ended up liking season 1 a lot but I still haven't watched season 2 because I haven't been in the right mood for it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

EricBauman posted:

Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

How do they explain how Ford knows his way around a standard issue weapon?

I think in the Krasinski and such versions he's meant to have been ROTC in college or a staff lieutenant in an academic role at some point. The latter wouldn't explain anything but the fundamentals of firearm safety and basic manoeuvres from officer selection but at least it'd be a starting point for what he picks up rapidly as a field agent.

mystes posted:

It's good but it's very stressful. I ended up liking season 1 a lot but I still haven't watched season 2 because I haven't been in the right mood for it.

That scene that everyone says makes the show a masterpiece from that point onwards? Where he breaks down and finally talks about his brother? How he loved and hated him? Is glad to be rid of the mess he makes in everybody's life but would give anything to have him back?

I watched it. It's fine. Maybe more than fine. And I obviously missed the build-up and context. But I've seen better. I listen to more touching stories every week irl

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rando conversations don't mean poo poo without the backstory and buildup, what are you on about

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Episode 03 of Monsieur Spade is out and it was more-than-just-fine to very-fine.

We meet the ostensible primary antagonist, albeit in a flashback. He's a piece of work and it was worth the wait. And given the focus on war changing everyone for the worse I don't expect he'll be any more cuddly going forward.

The ending of the episode was exactly what I should have expected but I got lulled into a false sense of ease right beforehand. It was also more hardcore than I remember seeing in an AMC show up to this point.

Finally, we have a transgender actress playing an ostensibly cisgender woman who may in fact be a cross-dressing cisgender male MI6 agent. If that's not progress when it comes to representation I don't know what is.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bright Bart posted:

How do they explain how Ford knows his way around a standard issue weapon?

He was a marine who washed out with a back injury, I think

He's definitely played as now cerebral by Ford than the others, but how can't you, with Indiana Jones on the poster

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EricBauman posted:

He was a marine who washed out with a back injury, I think

He's definitely played as now cerebral by Ford than the others, but how can't you, with Indiana Jones on the poster

Yeah Jack Ryan was a Marine who injured his back in training and his girlfriend/eventual wife fixes it in an early book.

Edit: IIRC the Sum of All Fears movie with Ben Affleck does bring up the back problems.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

Ford was the only good Jack Ryan anyway. Also, I think that's accurate to the books for like Patriot Games era at least.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm pretty sure Alec Baldwin's Ryan is also a history professor in Hunt for Red October. He has that exchange with Ramius where he says he writes books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

howe_sam posted:

I'm pretty sure Alec Baldwin's Ryan is also a history professor in Hunt for Red October. He has that exchange with Ramius where he says he writes books.

Yeah, and Ramius says his books are terrible, saying his conclusions are all wrong.

Baldwin was a good Jack Ryan, too, and the most "book accurate", if that part matters to you at all. Even if he's apparently bad at writing his own books. Red October is a great movie.