Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

hooah posted:

Our garbage disposal has stopped working. Is it OK to still run the dishwasher, which has an outflow hose to the disposal?

Did you know that many garbage disposals have a feature that shuts them down when they start to jam or are going to overheat? The way to fix it is to look underneath and there is a metal nut that spins. Some use a tool (attached to the side of the disposal) or a general wrench or pliers might work too then simply use force to spin the disposal a few times until it loosens up and it will work again.

Does your sink still drain? If so you can run the dishwasher with no problem. If not, then you've got an issue in the pipes too that you need to address while fixing the disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Douche4Sale posted:

Did you know that many garbage disposals have a feature that shuts them down when they start to jam or are going to overheat? The way to fix it is to look underneath and there is a metal nut that spins. Some use a tool (attached to the side of the disposal) or a general wrench or pliers might work too then simply use force to spin the disposal a few times until it loosens up and it will work again.

Does your sink still drain? If so you can run the dishwasher with no problem. If not, then you've got an issue in the pipes too that you need to address while fixing the disposal.

The issue seems to be electrical - the outlet or something upstream of it stopped working, so there's no power. The sink does drain, albeit slowly.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

You know how with very old books you'll sometimes see them titled with the "Title: Or, The Other Title" format?

What was that supposed to mean, stylistically? Like, was the second title just supposed to be viewed as a synonym for the work, or was it just a way to extend the title and add meaning?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

two fish posted:

You know how with very old books you'll sometimes see them titled with the "Title: Or, The Other Title" format?

What was that supposed to mean, stylistically? Like, was the second title just supposed to be viewed as a synonym for the work, or was it just a way to extend the title and add meaning?

First example of this that jumps to mind is "The Hobbit, or There and Back Again."

In that case, the second title is referring to the conceit that the book was written by Bilbo himself.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

First example of this that jumps to mind is "The Hobbit, or There and Back Again."

In that case, the second title is referring to the conceit that the book was written by Bilbo himself.

Now we have shorthand with colons and dashes. It's a similar thing.

To use the worst modern example:

Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

It could just as easily be "Monster, or the Jeffrey Dahmer Story"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it's a subtitle and yes usually it was to provide some sort of explanation, but it's also just a stylistic choice (e.g. Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night, or What You Will" doesn't really explain much, but from what I understand he was sort of parodying other popular subtitles with that, and it's basically like calling a play "Twelfth Night or whatever")

lobsterminator posted:

Now we have shorthand with colons and dashes. It's a similar thing.

To use the worst modern example:

Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

It could just as easily be "Monster, or the Jeffrey Dahmer Story"

yeah i mean these are all just styles, none is really better or worse than others. in other periods it could have been some poo poo like "Dahmer. Being the Horrid Tale of a Murderer Most Foule, His Victimes and Their Pleas, His Methodes and Their Madness, Shown in Full Graphic Violent Detail upon thy Screen"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 28, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

The issue seems to be electrical - the outlet or something upstream of it stopped working, so there's no power. The sink does drain, albeit slowly.

The sink is going to drain more and more slowly over time, until you get the disposal fixed or removed. Disposals need to be run periodically to clear out any small bits of debris that accumulate in them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The sink is going to drain more and more slowly over time, until you get the disposal fixed or removed. Disposals need to be run periodically to clear out any small bits of debris that accumulate in them.

The plan is definitely to get things fixed ASAP.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

hooah posted:

Stupid question, but have you checked for a breaker on the garbage disposal itself, or for a tripped GFCI either directly under the sink, or somewhere up stream of it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ironhead posted:

Stupid question, but have you checked for a breaker on the garbage disposal itself, or for a tripped GFCI either directly under the sink, or somewhere up stream of it?

I didn't know the disposal itself would have a breaker, but the outlet has no power - I tried plugging a lamp into it. The breaker on the electrical panel seems fine, same with GFCI things in the kitchen.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Having heard some less than positive stuff about goodwill lately, what's the best place to donate some bags of new and lightly used women's clothing? Call around some shelters and see if they need them?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is a bit niche but there is a place near us that provides dress clothes for women entering the workforce after escaping from an abusive partner. If the stuff is suitable for a job interview see if there is a place like that around you. A womens shelter could probably let you know if there is.

Big charities are all just a varying level of scam to pay execs and board members though so sometimes you just have to hold your nose and accept that this will be a marginally better thing to do than stick it in the trash.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Having heard some less than positive stuff about goodwill lately, what's the best place to donate some bags of new and lightly used women's clothing? Call around some shelters and see if they need them?

Your area's local independent thrift stores.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If they run thrift stores in your area, St Vincent's does a lot of genuinely good stuff i think.

Inceltown posted:

Big charities are all just a varying level of scam to pay execs and board members though

All tax exempt charities are required to disclose their executive pay and what % of their money goes to doing what they say they do, vs overhead. Plenty of them are very good. You can look it all up at charity navigator dot org.

Now whether or not their program expenses are effective at meeting their mission, or whether their mission is even a good thing, is a more nuanced question.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Anyone had any experience with skin tag removal products?

Specifically this: https://www.chemistwarehouse.co.nz/buy/71860/medi-freeze-skin-tag-remover

Or something similar

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It seems like I'm just asking for two different products: an alarm clock and something that keeps very precise time down to the second. But these shouldn't be two things!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sangean...8bZ0DzjBOFga-IM

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Unless you're doing very specific and sciency things, pretty much any internet-connected device is going to be more accurate on time than you need it to be as long as it's checking in with an NTP server. It's basically a solved problem and is a prerequisite for certificate secured communication.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I'll look at more by this company, but I want a good segmented red dial

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Unless you're doing very specific and sciency things, pretty much any internet-connected device is going to be more accurate on time than you need it to be as long as it's checking in with an NTP server. It's basically a solved problem and is a prerequisite for certificate secured communication.

Some people don't live with quality internet that never goes out

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there anyone who sells a camping tent that works like a collapsible umbrella? With an extendable umbrella you hold the end and then extend the thing and you have a tiny shelter you hold above you. Are there similar principle but larger products? An umbrella with one ten fopt long center pole that just springs out into a shelter or tent?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Some people don't live with quality internet that never goes out

Which isn't relevant unless a local battery goes out, it's like SMS where even an occasional intermittent connection is good enough. As long as a device can get a few packets back from an NTP server once in a while it will be fine. It's honestly just not a big deal, just assume that any internet connected OS platform can maintain time unless you go out of your way to break it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there anyone who sells a camping tent that works like a collapsible umbrella? With an extendable umbrella you hold the end and then extend the thing and you have a tiny shelter you hold above you. Are there similar principle but larger products? An umbrella with one ten fopt long center pole that just springs out into a shelter or tent?
Some of the cheap popup tents work exactly like umbrellas but they have a tendency to fail catastrophically because of how the opening mechanism works. I tried one before and it actually destroyed itself on my first attempt to open it, so I had to return it. I thought about getting a better model with the same design, but I ended deciding that the entire design was flawed (it would be even worse if it failed when I was actually using it for real and not just testing it) and went for a slightly different design that's quick to set up but doesn't work like an umbrella.

So, if you want something that's sort of similar and extremely fast to set up for car camping, but not exactly like an umbrella, I have this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-X-9-6-Person-Dark-Rest-Instant-Cabin-Tent-16-81lbs/53734745

I'm not necessarily vouching for this exact model since I haven't used it that much yet and I haven't tested it in the rain, but there are a bunch of different companies selling the same type of design and there are also even bigger ones which work under the same principle. (One downside to this exact design is that the rain fly presumably isn't the best for heavy rain, and the tent is quite heavy, but the way it unfolds and pops up is really quite clever, and it's fast to set up without using a mechanism that's likely to fail where stuff is packed under tension and/or uses springs like other types of popup tents.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 29, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This channel just came up in my youtube recommendations, and I immediately noticed that she has only 9 videos, going back about a month, and almost 16,000 subscribers. What's going on there? Did she just pay for fake accounts to boost her subscriber count or something?

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
One of her videos has 136k views, she probably posted it in an elder scrolls reddit or something and it got picked up and she got lucky enough that people watched it and subscribed based on that. The guy who made that video about Dubai being a physical parody of capitalism got a few million views and his channel had like 3 videos on it before that if I remember right. Sometimes people just hit the algorithm just right and find some pretty good success pretty quickly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looking at her most popular video, roughly 8% of viewers gave it a like and less than 1% commented. From clicking on a few commenters, they appear to be active accounts.

From what I know, that's perhaps a slightly better engagement rate than one might expect from a brand new channel but honestly it seems pretty normal. It doesn't appear to be heavily astroturfed, or if it is, someone did a good job. The weird thing is that she doesn't have a link to a tik tok account or twitch channel. I would have assumed she'd been funneling viewers from another platform in order to grow that quickly.

I don't do social media platforms though, hopefully someone else here has experience in marketing or trying to grow their audience and can provide more insight.

E: ahh yeah, Maskelyne has a good point. It would make sense that she got the snowball rolling on Reddit

e2: She references UESP and not the fandom wiki. Confirmed real Elder Scrolls fan

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 29, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Extra row of tits posted:

Anyone had any experience with skin tag removal products?

Specifically this: https://www.chemistwarehouse.co.nz/buy/71860/medi-freeze-skin-tag-remover

Or something similar

I used the rubber band style of skin tag remover and it worked great. I don't think I'd try the freeze method when the other style worked so well.

The exact product I got isn't available on Amazon any more but they all seemed pretty similar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could make link.theatlantic.com URLs not resolve for me? I do have NextDNS, but I've tried with it off (as well as with uBlock and uMatrix turned off) and the links still don't resolve.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hooah posted:

What could make link.theatlantic.com URLs not resolve for me? I do have NextDNS, but I've tried with it off (as well as with uBlock and uMatrix turned off) and the links still don't resolve.
Does it work in another browser?

If not, if you're using firefox, does it work with dns over https enabled?

Assuming you are using windows, if you open powershell and run "resolve-dnsname link.theatlantic.com" can it resolve an ip address for the domain?

If it's not a dns problem, you could also open the network inspector in the developers tools of your browser and check "preserve log" (chrome) at the top or "persist logs" from the gear menu at the upper right (firefox) and then open one of the links to try to see what's going on but that's more complicated.

Honestly, if you're using umatrix my initial guess would be that you're most likely somehow preventing it from working with extensions, even if it seems to not work even with those disabled.

You could also try asking in the haus of tech support https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 29, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mystes posted:

Some of the cheap popup tents work exactly like umbrellas but they have a tendency to fail catastrophically because of how the opening mechanism works. I tried one before and it actually destroyed itself on my first attempt to open it, so I had to return it. I thought about getting a better model with the same design, but I ended deciding that the entire design was flawed (it would be even worse if it failed when I was actually using it for real and not just testing it) and went for a slightly different design that's quick to set up but doesn't work like an umbrella.

So, if you want something that's sort of similar and extremely fast to set up for car camping, but not exactly like an umbrella, I have this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-X-9-6-Person-Dark-Rest-Instant-Cabin-Tent-16-81lbs/53734745

I'm not necessarily vouching for this exact model since I haven't used it that much yet and I haven't tested it in the rain, but there are a bunch of different companies selling the same type of design and there are also even bigger ones which work under the same principle. (One downside to this exact design is that the rain fly presumably isn't the best for heavy rain, and the tent is quite heavy, but the way it unfolds and pops up is really quite clever, and it's fast to set up without using a mechanism that's likely to fail where stuff is packed under tension and/or uses springs like other types of popup tents.)
That looks pretty cool! I've heard some REI types sneer at Ozark Trail gear but I've owned two of their tents and never had problems.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That looks pretty cool! I've heard some REI types sneer at Ozark Trail gear but I've owned two of their tents and never had problems.
If you're interested in it you might want to compare it with the other companies selling the same design, too, although I can't remember what they are off the top of my head (I think costco has one too). I just got that one because it was the cheapest one of that style with good reviews when I bought it last spring (it was like $85 I think).

My only real complaint is that it's hard to get back into the bag, but unlike some other styles of instant tents like the coleman ones that you coil, you don't need to get it back in the bag to keep it from expanding. It folds up into a long thin bundle and you can also just kind of dump that into your car as-is.

The tent is actually so easy to get set up that the air mattress I was using ended up taking way longer, so I ended up buying a camping cot thing that I'm looking forward to trying this spring.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 29, 2024

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mystes posted:

Does it work in another browser?

If not, if you're using firefox, does it work with dns over https enabled?

Assuming you are using windows, if you open powershell and run "resolve-dnsname link.theatlantic.com" can it resolve an ip address for the domain?

If it's not a dns problem, you could also open the network inspector in the developers tools of your browser and check "preserve log" (chrome) at the top or "persist logs" from the gear menu at the upper right (firefox) and then open one of the links to try to see what's going on but that's more complicated.

Honestly, if you're using umatrix my initial guess would be that you're most likely somehow preventing it from working with extensions, even if it seems to not work even with those disabled.

You could also try asking in the haus of tech support https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

I didn't think of pinging the URL (I really should have). When I had NextDNS enabled, link.theatlantic.com pinged localhost. When I disabled NextDNS, a ping tries to hit haproxy-prod-link-nlb-9484743b55d7f6b1.elb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com (3.226.166.212) but never gets a response.

Edit: Turns out it was uBlock Origin. I thought I'd tested without that in the picture, but evidently not.

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 29, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

mystes posted:

If you're interested in it you might want to compare it with the other companies selling the same design, too, although I can't remember what they are off the top of my head (I think costco has one too). I just got that one because it was the cheapest one of that style with good reviews when I bought it last spring (it was like $85 I think).

My only real complaint is that it's hard to get back into the bag, but unlike some other styles of instant tents like the coleman ones that you coil, you don't need to get it back in the bag to keep it from expanding. It folds up into a long thin bundle and you can also just kind of dump that into your car as-is.

The tent is actually so easy to get set up that the air mattress I was using ended up taking way longer, so I ended up buying a camping cot thing that I'm looking forward to trying this spring.
I can't sleep on bare rocks the way I could 20 years ago so for car camping I use a plug in air mattress. It's plugged into a power inverter that's in my car, I hit the switch, then I do other set up stuff while it inflates. It's like living in the not too distant future.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

For another option, even non-instant tents are pretty dang easy to set up, and generally have advantages over pop up tents. For example, I have the Eureka Copper Canyon and can set it up in 5 minutes (maybe closer to 10 if I put on the rain fly, including the time spent anchoring everything) and it has enough room to stand up in, which most popups won't.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I think low-pressure Na lights are cool (they look cool, the way they work is cool, if I'm not mistaken they are literally "cooler" in operation than many other lights, etc.) Is there any way to get a real low-pressure sodium light/lamp for my room? I realize there are probably bulbs that emulate the effect with specific phosphors, but if it's not really feasible to use a real low pressure sodium bulb, I won't bother.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

(Canada) if I wanted to purchase Kraft singles for their mild flavour and smooth melting, but didn't want them individually wrapped bc of the plastic waste, is there a product that's like that?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

When in popular culture history did French become the "love" language, and why?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

(Canada) if I wanted to purchase Kraft singles for their mild flavour and smooth melting, but didn't want them individually wrapped bc of the plastic waste, is there a product that's like that?

cheez whiz/ez cheese? same basic substance as kraft singles, but you spray it out of a can.

im not sure if those specific brands are available in canada but if not im sure there's some equivalent. in fact cheez whiz is a kraft product so if you can get kraft singles you can probably get that too, the stuff probably comes from the same factory

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 29, 2024

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Not Canada, but food service supply / bulk foods grocers (GFS, Sam's Club, I'm guessing you have an equivalent) will have the same blocks of American that the folks at the deli counter will slice for you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Killingyouguy! posted:

this is the high effort option but you can buy sodium citrate and make your own "american cheese" out of any kind of cheese. it's a bit tricky to get right but sharp cheddar that melts like american is kind of a revelation burger-wise imo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

American cheese, such as Kraft singles, is completely disgusting and horrible. Every brand is trash. Except for Cooper Sharp, which you can only get in one specific region of the US for some reason. Cooper Sharp is freaking awesome. It lives up to the hype. It'll cost you $$$, but I'd advise you to buy a 5 pound brick of Cooper Sharp online. It'll keep forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Or you can just buy some Velveeta, which they probably have in Canada.