Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Oddly enough, I'm still very invested in bad things happening to Lions kicker Michael Bagley, he of the gone, but not forgotten moneybadger.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
That... was a very, very disappointing way to lose. Reynolds gonna be feeling that 4th down ball hit him in the stomach for years.

The good news is, no harm no foul, right? House money? I mean, everyone said Cam Newton would be back 2-3 times the year they lost...

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Just caught up on the second half highlights - I'm so sorry Lions bros. You were right there in it but some tough luck on the long missed pick/completion and the turnover on the drive after, plus some absolutely brutal drops during the third and forth quarter ultimately sealed the game for the 49ers.

While it's easy to say in retrospect that the missed fourth down conversions killed the Lions' chances and they should have taken the field goals instead, I still like that they went for them. You don't win by playing scared and going for it has been their identity all season, so props to MCDC for not losing courage when the lights were brightest.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

JonathonSpectre posted:

That... was a very, very disappointing way to lose. Reynolds gonna be feeling that 4th down ball hit him in the stomach for years.

The good news is, no harm no foul, right? House money? I mean, everyone said Cam Newton would be back 2-3 times the year they lost...

How is it house money when you are a 12 win division champion who gets two home wins during the playoffs?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Vastly overachieving preseason and post season expectations with a credible path to sustain and improve?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Vastly overachieving preseason and post season expectations with a credible path to sustain and improve?

I didn't get a sense from this site or the media that the Lions were overachieving in the postseason. Preseason, sure, but once we hit mid season it was clear the Lions were legit. You can't win 12 games, be surrounded by hype, and have your top coaching assistants being interviewed for HC jobs, and still be "flying under the radar." Definitely on the radar, man.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Stop being weird about Taylor Swift, god drat

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If the three seed makes the championship game they have overachieved, if they only lose the championship game due to some cosmically bad luck they've overachieved.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also a fun time to revisit preseason rankings.

but we're not talking "Chargers level good" posted:

"Expectations are high in Detroit, and the Lions have reassured Goff that he is their guy. With that being said, it would be a disappointment if the Lions don't reach the postseason after narrowly missing the playoffs in 2022."

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If the three seed makes the championship game they have overachieved, if they only lose the championship game due to some cosmically bad luck they've overachieved.

I suppose the logic of it makes a technical kind of sense. Any non-1 seed is an overachiever by making the Superbowl. So, the Chiefs are plucky overachievers.

I don't think that kind of definition works in practice. The 49ers, Cowboys, and Lions all won the same number of games and won their divisions. None of them should reasonably be considered a "surprise team" in the Superbowl.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I suppose the logic of it makes a technical kind of sense. Any non-1 seed is an overachiever by making the Superbowl. So, the Chiefs are plucky overachievers.

I don't think that kind of definition works in practice. The 49ers, Cowboys, and Lions all won the same number of games and won their divisions. None of them should reasonably be considered a "surprise team" in the Superbowl.

The Niners had been to two other SBs in the prior 11 years, I can see easily them not being considered a surprise

The Cowboys last appeared in one when I was 1 year old. The Lions in their history have never been in one. I and many others absolutely considered the Lions a surprise

https://twitter.com/justin_rogers/status/1751807716824351129?s=46&t=WpdyKLngKj40naRWJ6JgcQ

Dan's correct btw. You're gambling a lot on a) being able to run it back and b) doing so with circumstances around the league likely not as favorable (tougher schedule, and also half the league probably won't be on backup QBs by week 6 [and 75% of it by week 10] again). I think they'll be good; being a clock-hold away from a SB appearance great, difficult to imagine to say the least

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's tough cos while it's brutal it's also at the end of one of the best seasons in 30 years with a young team

A lot depends on hindsight I think when we know whether this was the high water mark or a sign of things to come

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

shirts and skins posted:

So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

The Red Wings losing to the San Jose Sharks in the 94 playoffs was really bad at the time but dulled after Detroit came back and won a few years later and then a bunch of times after that.

Sometimes you don't know until later. Like 2011 was real bad for the Ravens at the time but then they won it in 2012 with lots of the same guys so less so.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yeah...:smith:

The good news for these particular Lions (unlike those Panthers) is that their front office is extremely loving good and they basically haven't missed on a single draft pick in three years. As long as they're able to maintain continuity on offense after Ben Johnson leaves -- and get some more help on defense -- they should be in good shape. I'd be much more worried about them being a flash in the pan if they didn't have god-tier level scouting and decision-making when it comes to personnel.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The 2006 Wings were far and away the best team in the NHL, but got thumped in the first round by the #8 seed Oilers, a team who hadn't won a single playoff round in 8 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbaiMS73Ec

I don't feel bad bringing this up because they would win another Cup in 2008

shyduck fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 29, 2024

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Who they hire as playcaller after Johnson leaves is going to be critical. If they take a step backwards there and have a Goff extension eating up way more of their cap for the next few years, it could get ugly if they don't keep absolutely knocking drafts out of the park.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

The Niners had been to two other SBs in the prior 11 years, I can see easily them not being considered a surprise

The Cowboys last appeared in one when I was 1 year old. The Lions in their history have never been in one. I and many others absolutely considered the Lions a surprise

https://twitter.com/justin_rogers/status/1751807716824351129?s=46&t=WpdyKLngKj40naRWJ6JgcQ

Dan's correct btw. You're gambling a lot on a) being able to run it back and b) doing so with circumstances around the league likely not as favorable (tougher schedule, and also half the league probably won't be on backup QBs by week 6 [and 75% of it by week 10] again). I think they'll be good; being a clock-hold away from a SB appearance great, difficult to imagine to say the least

Okay, this explanation is closer to my understanding of it. There's more to "over/under achieving" than being the 1-seed or not. Current season performance, historical team performance, media hype, and stated team goals are all pieces of it. The Bills are definitely underachievers this year, so are the Cowboys, obviously the Eagles. The Lions neither overachieved nor underachieved. This was a reasonably probable outcome.

Detroit was in an evenly-matched fight with everything on the line, they played their game and stuck to their identity, and they lost a heartbreaker. Trying to shield yourself from the pain is not a good thing. You don't want to live like a Bears fan, knowing neither the thrill of victory nor the agony of defeat.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Sucks for the Lions but I don't think they could beat the Chiefs again with how that defense is playing now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

It's tough to compare it in other sports because they've had other teams hit the same basic lows as the 0-16 Lions being at the bottom of their leagues (Tigers had almost 120 losses in 2003, Red Wings were on pace for their most losses ever when COVID happened, and Pistons started this year 3-36 [they're now a much more respectable 6-40]), but with the caveat that those other teams also all had championships (Pistons and Red Wings this millennium, Tigers won in '84 but have appeared in two World Series this millennium), and they're in sports that aren't as reliant on one game in a playoff being the difference maker as NFL, they get multiple games to play. They've been blown out of the water, but it's losing series 3 or 4 games to none. The Pistons were on the losing end of a comebacker in Game 7 of the '05 Finals, but they'd won the championship the year before

It definitely appears like the worst loss in Lions history. In terms of importance, and in terms of how close to their first championship appearance they were, it couldn't have been closer or more significant. For anyone else I'd say they have nothing to feel bad about, I don't know that it's their 28-3 moment, and I still think just coming that close says a lot about how good they were. But a lot more people will remember how it ended than what they did (and the playoff win drought they broke) to even get there, and that's a drat shame :smith:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Check out my team, King of House Money, at #31.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Chris James 2 posted:

I dunno about that. Outside Goff, they have a ridiculously young core that's only going to get better, and they really only need to add another respectable pass rusher and a few pieces in the secondary in order to set themselves up for the next couple years. Every season's a crapshoot, but their window is wide open.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The one thing that may give the Lions issues is the Packers are looking to be pretty good too. The NFCN title is gonna be a tougher fight

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Chris James 2 posted:

He’s right but fortunately for the Lions they play in the NFC North

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I've said my piece at greater length in the NFCN thread but there is no reason to doomer about the Lions next year. The goal is turnign the franchise into something to be respected, not a flash in the pan. We may not be in the NFC championship next year, but there is no reason not think we can;t be in the mix, and maybe even better.

Lets go KC Swifties

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

Check out my team, King of House Money, at #31.

Yeah but the Texans were sitting at #32 right below you.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

The one thing that may give the Lions issues is the Packers are looking to be pretty good too. The NFCN title is gonna be a tougher fight

True, and if Caleb Williams is that guy, the Bears are gonna be in the fight too.*

*Disclaimer: They're still the Bears, though.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah but the Texans were sitting at #32 right below you.

That's who I'm talking about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Viking ls are also a threat with Kirk back, not like in the playoffs but otherwise sure

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shyduck posted:

The best thing for them is if the Vikings move on from Cousins and the Bears stay uncertain about QB, either by picking Maye instead of Caleb or by picking someone and keeping Fields too and going the competition route; basically a North that's down to them and the Packers competing for the division. It's not ideal that the Packers are still good/still have QB probably figured out, but the Lions have a better chance against just them than a full division where everyone's set at the position and Kirk's present/healthy

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Pimpcasso posted:

Sucks for the Lions but I don't think they could beat the Chiefs again with how that defense is playing now

I mean if they played right into the Chiefs defense's strengths like the Ravens did probably not. But if they actually had a coherent gameplan they give them a run for their money I'm sure

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hot takes:

Jordan Love will regress to somewhere between his bad start to the year and his good end. Just watching him, his fundamentals are all hosed up. He was probably lucky to only throw one pick in the 2nd half of the year. The Packers will miss the playoffs and be in a quandary about what to do with their possible franchise QB who hasn't really done anything. They will miss the playoffs.

Detroit will regress because they will have a new OC who is probably going to be worse. Because Goff is 100% reliant on having a clean pocket and the OL was so good this year, those things will probably regress, too. Detroit will not win 12 games but may make the playoffs as a wild card.

Minnesota got slammed with injuries this year. Had JJ and Cousins not gotten injured, they probably make the playoffs. I think they win the division next year, assuming they resign Cousins.

Chicago is a wild card. Who the gently caress knows what is going to happen with them. There is the argument that they have to pick Caleb because he is a "can't miss" prospect. OTOH, they do have a QB with a ton of talent that has likely been screwed by playing for Chicago. Either they trade the #1 for a haul, and perhaps get Marvin Harrison, or they trade Fields. I think their best bet is to keep the pick and trade Fields and effectively reset their window. Fields will get expensive before the team can fix all their problems. Problems they would still need to fix with Wiliams, but won't have to pay him for a few more years. Chicago will miss the playoffs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
lol his fundamentals are the best part of Love as a QB, in large part because of Clemente but still

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrMidnight posted:

That's who I'm talking about

Oops yeah, I didn't see the cardinals at the bottom but the Buccs at 30 had a nice comeup too.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Love's fundamentals are actually really good, yeah.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

100%. If being a Lions fan for this long has taught me anything, it's that there are no guarantees and that no one in sports is owed anything. And saying "well that was our one chance, pack in it gang" is definitely not Campbell's style.

shirts and skins posted:

It's pretty bad but I might give this award to the 2006 WS where the Tigers went in (IIRC) as clear favorites and completely poo poo the bed. Permanently killed my ability to care about them. Some of those mid 90s Wings losses were brutal too, especially while they were in their own multi-decade title drought, but it made that eventual Cup victory all the sweeter. E: also worth noting that this past couple of weeks was the first time a Detroit pro sports team has advanced in the playoffs since 2012. We've been in a bad way for a while.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The goal is turnign the franchise into something to be respected, not a flash in the pan.

If we aren't winning a title this year, then IMO the next best thing will be getting a sustainable culture shift out of it. Here's hoping.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

drat, Simpsons thread is a brutal way to start your shitposting day…

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Love's fundamentals are actually really good, yeah.

poo poo, I thought that throwing off your back foot constantly was considered bad. I'd always understood you want a solid base or your accuracy turns to poo poo. Maybe I misunderstood.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
1. Blitz the everliving hell out of Lamar
2. Win every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The end zone pick into triple coverage was one of the worst throws I can remember in such a big moment. Even the big bomb to wide open Zay Flowers was so badly underthrown otherwise that’s a touchdown and Zay doesn’t get humiliated and worked at the goal line seconds later. Big mistake trying to air it out all game.