Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Whale Vomit posted:

Anyway, does the thread have any other good co-op suggestions for a very casual gaming partner? She likes 2D side scrollers and puzzle focused games that don't require a lot of tricky reflexes.

Part-time UFO and Untitled Goose Game are both good casual coop games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Kirby

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Soul Glo posted:

i refuse to believe college aged people know what something awful is

my fellow zoomers discovered these wonderful forums thru shmorkey being on game grumps so there will be more of us coming

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Glo posted:

i refuse to believe college aged people know what something awful is

I found SA when I was in high school, though I didn't register until my freshman year of college.

But the internet today is so different from 15 years ago that I definitely feel like stumbling across SA isn't as common as used to be.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://youtu.be/NeQE8BLCW9I?si=dCTvh7cR6ukTBT8D

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/1750951502955577569

lol.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Last day to buy $165 Shovel Knight joycons

http://cptnalex.com/shovelknight

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CptAlex makes great controllers, I have one of the special edition pro controllers they made, the weight and the texture is just that much nicer than the official ones. And it's all official internals.

But I am not buying any more controllers or accessories for the switch until I know what the deal is with controllers and accessories on the successor.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
They look lovely but I think that selling a Shovel Knight controller without a proper d-pad makes absolutely no sense. :psyduck:

These things are all over Etsy and worth every penny, you use the same official electronics for the insides, just with the right controls for the job

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Whale Vomit posted:

My partner and I over the weekend kicked Bowser Castle to the curb. I gotta say that Wonder was one of our best co-op games we've ever done together. Did anyone else think it was a bit short, though?

Anyway, does the thread have any other good co-op suggestions for a very casual gaming partner? She likes 2D side scrollers and puzzle focused games that don't require a lot of tricky reflexes. Unraveled and Blanc went pretty well for us, if you've got suggestions in those territories. I'll come out and say stuff like shovel knight is too tricky. Pikmin and Mario Odyssey didn't fit the bill either (though they're very much my jam) because they were 3d and the second player experience was almost nothing.

I was gonna grab The Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse cause its on sale for cheap and looks good, but didnt because it seems coop focused and I have noone to play with.
https://www.nintendo.com/en-ca/store/products/the-swords-of-ditto-mormos-curse-switch/

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snackmar posted:

They look lovely but I think that selling a Shovel Knight controller without a proper d-pad makes absolutely no sense. :psyduck:

These things are all over Etsy and worth every penny, you use the same official electronics for the insides, just with the right controls for the job

Yeah, playing Shovel Knight on my Steam Deck was eye opening compared to my initial experience on the Switch.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly enjoyable on the Joycons, but it's *so much better* with a real d-pad.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
If I don't intend to do any online multiplayer, just local, are either Splatoon 3 or Mario Strikers worth picking up? I see Strikers has a lot of poor reviews. I played a fair bit of Strikers Charged and loved it, what changes did they make that made it supposedly worse?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the splatoon story mode is fun but i don't think the game is worth getting if you're not going online

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
There’s a free demo of Strikers.
Try that first.
I wanted it, tried the demo and walked away, but you might like it.
Definitely give the demo a try though :)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Joycon buttons are superior to a standard d-pad. Skill issue.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

American McGay posted:

:mods:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yikes

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

American McGay posted:

I bet you use the joy con straps.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

glassyalabolas posted:

I bet you use the joy con straps.

the new wario ware game required them and it was actually neat when it asked you to use them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My favorite Nintendo safety implement was the Wii Remote condoms lol

Wrap it before you tap it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

man nurse posted:

My favorite Nintendo safety implement was the Wii Remote condoms lol

Wrap it before you tap it

I literally laughed out loud when I got mine and saw how ridiculously large the bulge on the front was. They may have overreacted just a bit to websites like "Wii Have a Problem" showcasing the damage wrought by Wii Sports tennis and bowling

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

American McGay posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
For precise stuff like Celeste I definitely prefer the discrete buttons. Same experience playing Dustforce on steam and finding the arrow keys worked better than using a gamepad. If it really, really matters whether you're pressing up, right, or up-right the joycon buttons are pretty nice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

American McGay posted:

Psycho posting

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno I’ve gotten so used to 4 butan that I can’t say it’s actually any worse anymore

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just got Monster Train on sale, this game fucks pretty hard

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
We're all in agreement that analog sticks suck for 2d platformers, right? Dpad all the way

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
depends on if the platform has analog movement or not. Like Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends are best with analog

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

We're all in agreement that analog sticks suck for 2d platformers, right? Dpad all the way

I am a sicko who uses analog sticks for 2D platformers. I'm just used to them by now. I did Shovel Knight that way, I did Mario Wonder that way- including the wall jump special world which I TRIED using d-pad and did even worse than I did using the analog.

Although I admit there might just be something wrong with my brain.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Analog sticks are more comfy, but it takes too long to travel the stick back-and-forth during fights that require quick reflexes, so I switch back-and-forth depending on the situation

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

i use my snes controller for every 2d switch game i play, except for nes/famicom games, which i use my famicom controller for.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Third option: arcade stick. I'm still adjusting, but I think I prefer it.

It's for sure the way to play horizontal shmups like r-type or darius.

Platformers really take some adjusting, switching to fingers for buttons instead of right thumb

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Annath posted:

I found SA when I was in high school, though I didn't register until my freshman year of college.

But the internet today is so different from 15 years ago that I definitely feel like stumbling across SA isn't as common as used to be.

Same but the world was different 20 years ago.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Also same, and also agree :cheers:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

the mods agree

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the four separate buttons actually kick rear end for tetris 99, the game that my switch runs 99% of the time these days

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EightFlyingCars posted:

the four separate buttons actually kick rear end for tetris 99, the game that my switch runs 99% of the time these days

Also Lumines

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I dunno. I've put up with some hosed up control schemes in my life, so the four separate button "d-pad" on the JoyCons never registered to me as something I should be upset about.

Mind I haven't used them in that capacity for a long time. I got a Pro Controller early on and use that most of the time. It's just more comfortable!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the clicky joycon buttons are real good for precision poo poo. e.g. rhythm games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am also a sicko who prefers the discrete buttons to a D-Pad. Ideally maybe they'd be a touch smaller but I also get a good thumbfeel from them being exactly like the face buttons.