Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Excelzior posted:

also w/r/t to the Ordo discussion earlier, nice timing - strap on for a 70 minute video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3022fhGGJLc

gently caress yes. Looking at my phone before I get out of bed pays off, because now I get to look forward to sitting down and watching this.

bagrada posted:

<Newish player heading into Inazuma>
Heads up you're probably going to want an electro unit in Inazuma, at least for puzzles and pickups. I don't remember all of your teams, but personally I'd recommend Fischl if you have her, Beidou as a decent substitute (who also lets you cheat at some puzzles). They'd work well with Eula as a sub-dps / superconductor, or a combination of Xingqui or Yelan (both if you're feeling spicy, but that means not having a healer or on-fielding one of them,) someone with good element application, (Sucrose is my go-to, not sure who else works for taser. Barbara?) and a healer.

You could also just switch in an electro whenever you need one for a puzzle, but that could get annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

All the cropped versions of her art cut out the most important part, which is that it shows her dual-wielding. Unexpectedly radical of her.

A character whose occupation is fashion designer and who is wearing a Kimono+pantyhose+high heel geta combo and doing something like dual wielding swords like a boss is extremely on brand for Mihoyo though when you think about it. At least in my opinion. I was casually interested in Chiori before but I admit they might have got me with that splash art.

Her JP Side drip feed of course absolutely annihilated her American side one. 6.6M views to 1.5M, 160K likes to 60K, pretty stark difference in impressions. They've been getting further and further apart as time has worn along, but I think her being the first Inazuma/Japanese character since Kirara and first 5 star Inazuma character since Ayato probably has a lot to do with it being this much of a gap. They also really seem to like the dual-wielding but I mean....yeah

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 29, 2024

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Captain France posted:

Heads up you're probably going to want an electro unit in Inazuma, at least for puzzles and pickups. I don't remember all of your teams, but personally I'd recommend Fischl if you have her, Beidou as a decent substitute (who also lets you cheat at some puzzles). They'd work well with Eula as a sub-dps / superconductor, or a combination of Xingqui or Yelan (both if you're feeling spicy, but that means not having a healer or on-fielding one of them,) someone with good element application, (Sucrose is my go-to, not sure who else works for taser. Barbara?) and a healer.

You could also just switch in an electro whenever you need one for a puzzle, but that could get annoying.

Good to know. I had that problem in Liyue and the ice mountain, having to swap in geo traveler or Jean to activate pillars when I wasn't using them in my team. I'm spoiled for choice with electro but don't have anyone built yet except 50 Lisa (and 60 main char who just got electro too). I do have C0 Fischl and Beidou, and C6 Sara.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Who doesn't love dual wielding? I hope the leaks that she's purely a geo Yelan aren't true, but even if they are the fact that she dual wields has me leaning on the side of picking her up again....

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also if her second sword is a fixed model it will cause her to look dumb dual wielding 90% of the swords in the game. The right-hand weapon I assume is her signature so it will of course look fine, Amenoma once again is the king of sword drip, Iron Sting possibly will look OK, but putting something like Haran or LoFI or -- God forbid -- Key or Splendor on her is going to look like dogshit.

Also if she's DEF-based then the F2P option will be Cinnabar Spindle which will also look completely wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Has that been a problem for Al Haitham, our other dual wielder?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Her being a Geo Yelan / Xingqiu is likely to be the best possible outcome though?

Making her an onfield DPS would suck because we just got Navia, and because Geo needs more better supports. Making her "gorou but better" or "yunjin but better" would also suck because anyone who actually uses those units is hyperinvested into them at this point.

There's not much else you can do from a support standpoint except go the Nilou route, and who knows what that would look like for Geo.

Nakar posted:

Also if her second sword is a fixed model it will cause her to look dumb dual wielding 90% of the swords in the game.
Al Haitham's normal attack string manifests a second sword for the last couple of attacks, and it looks fine, as an obviously-secondary kukri-type weapon. I suspect they would go a similar route in this case.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nakar posted:

Also if her second sword is a fixed model it will cause her to look dumb dual wielding 90% of the swords in the game. The right-hand weapon I assume is her signature so it will of course look fine, Amenoma once again is the king of sword drip, Iron Sting possibly will look OK, but putting something like Haran or LoFI or -- God forbid -- Key or Splendor on her is going to look like dogshit.

Also if she's DEF-based then the F2P option will be Cinnabar Spindle which will also look completely wrong.

The real solution is to have so many effects and numbers on the screen that you can't see poo poo anyway

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sushibandit posted:

Her being a Geo Yelan / Xingqiu is likely to be the best possible outcome though?

Making her an onfield DPS would suck because we just got Navia, and because Geo needs more better supports. Making her "gorou but better" or "yunjin but better" would also suck because anyone who actually uses those units is hyperinvested into them at this point.

There's not much else you can do from a support standpoint except go the Nilou route, and who knows what that would look like for Geo.

Al Haitham's normal attack string manifests a second sword for the last couple of attacks, and it looks fine, as an obviously-secondary kukri-type weapon. I suspect they would go a similar route in this case.

Eh my hope for her was a defensive support, with her doing something to make crystalize really strong, and baking in archaic petra/wanderer's shtick where depending on the crystalize crystals you pick up, you'd get different buffs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Keep in mind spindle isnt even likely to be that good on her. It's only good on albedo because its passive is custom made to boost his E's effective DPS by 25% and his burst is so useless, the def substat isnt actually better than a crit substat. If she really scales on atk as well as def then crit becomes extremely important for her to the point Harbinger of Dawn enters the conversation.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

bagrada posted:

Good to know. I had that problem in Liyue and the ice mountain, having to swap in geo traveler or Jean to activate pillars when I wasn't using them in my team. I'm spoiled for choice with electro but don't have anyone built yet except 50 Lisa (and 60 main char who just got electro too). I do have C0 Fischl and Beidou, and C6 Sara.

Lisa should probably work as a taser driver with Xingqui and/or Yelan, I think? Like it's not meta and Fischl plus a different driver would be a lot stronger and Fischl is just one of the best in general, but if you don't feel like leveling someone new she's probably worth considering. Especially if you happen to have one of the two Dendro healers leveled. Hyperbloom is OP as gently caress.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm willing to take most of the current leaks at face value, which basically means Chiori replaces Albedo in Itto teams. Other geos/teams would be able to use her, but the construct synergy thing feels geared towards Itto since Noelle already reaped the benefit of Furina and Navia doesn't seem to need much. Also giving her a def-focused crit weapon would mean a 5* that they can run with Albedo if they're so committed to never giving out Spindle again.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

No Wave posted:

Has that been a problem for Al Haitham, our other dual wielder?

Haitham is doomed to look silly in all cases because I gave him an umbrella

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Dreaming of a better timeline, where leakers knew how to present information in a way that is both concise and useful. And also, like. Knew how to play Genshin :geno:

At least the nightmare is almost over...

Eimi posted:

Eh my hope for her was a defensive support, with her doing something to make crystalize really strong, and baking in archaic petra/wanderer's shtick where depending on the crystalize crystals you pick up, you'd get different buffs.

Same, but hoyo only seems to want to make a single 5 star sustain per numbered version for some reason

Maybe next time...

Kale
May 14, 2010

MoonCrab posted:

Dreaming of a better timeline, where leakers knew how to present information in a way that is both concise and useful. And also, like. Knew how to play Genshin :geno:

At least the nightmare is almost over...

Same, but hoyo only seems to want to make a single 5 star sustain per numbered version for some reason

Maybe next time...

My "favorite" doomposting chapter still to this date is that Yae Miko was ever particularly bad. Don't think they've ever missed the mark more on a character.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yae was not good pre-dendro. Her EM scaling made no sense her burst ICD made no sense her terms were weird cope like electro charged kokomi taser. She obviously became good the second 3.0 was released with Tighnari banner.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I wasn't terribly impressed with Chiori as a character in the movie event, but I am curious to see if they flesh out any of her backstory once she's out. Ayato casually mentioned that she and Ayaka were childhood friends, yet unless I missed some optional dialogue I don't think they interacted with each other at all during the event. Makes me wonder if Ayato's recollection was off and they were actually bitter rivals or something (Chiori being a dual sword wielder being an opposite to Ayaka's single blade might be an example of that rivalry at work).

There are very few characters that dislike others outside of being Fatui (Kokomi and Sara/Yae/Shogun, Alhaitham/Hat Boy and everyone), so it'd be a nice change of pace if there was a relationship where both characters involved were just like "nah, gently caress that rear end in a top hat"

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just want her in my Navia team :(

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rio posted:

I just want her in my Navia team :(

That is my main concern. Of course if she's pure offensive, she's clearly meant to work with Bennett and I am a dumb stubborn bitch who refuses to use him. I currently have Zhongli and he both hands out invincibility, but his omni-shred is pretty useful when you're just picking and choosing the best off field damage dealers like Yelan and Fischl. If I replace him, idk who'd take his place in the team, I guess Layla or something? :shrug:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ugh, on-banner guarantee within the next ~30 pulls and I don't know if I want Xianyun or not, but I do want Gaming for collection's sake. The next banner should be another full-repeat then Chiori the one after next, yeah?

Edit
Nahida is already C2 or I'd absolutely pull on her banner, C3 is effectively pointless.
Good idea w/r to lantern reward though, I will probably just do that and save my pulls unless Xianyun's trial is exceptionally fun.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 30, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Use your free Lantern Rite character on Gaming, or consider a Nahida constellation.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I just hope we get arlecchinno news in time to make my decision :sigh:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I am getting Xianyun but unsure which banner to do Gaming con-chasing on. C2 Nahida is big, but only hitting C1 would suck vs Xianyun having both early cons be good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm saving my roles

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The second-half of the 4.4 banner gets the Xinyun hot potato. Xiao/Yae Miko & Xinyun, Ning, and Yaoyao. Kinda weird to shove 3 Liyue characters on a banner the same patch all three have the option of being free, but I guess just about anyone who doesn't have C6 XQ is going to want his constellations anyway

The banners this time are just bizarre. Xiao/CR work best together and Nahida/Yae work best together, they're on separate banners. Xiao also really wants Faruzan who's also on the banner before his, but he's stuck with 3 people that have no synergy with him.

Anyone foolish enough to pull on the CR/Nahida weapon banner that doesn't want CR have a possibility of getting one of the absolute most niche weapons in the game that could be used without her in either the gravity boss fight or if for some weird reason you go back to 1.0 plunge meta with a Venti or Albedo flower, otherwise it's just a ATK stat stick for Charlotte like sticking a black tassel on Yaoyao or Zhongli

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 30, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

haypliss posted:

I'm willing to take most of the current leaks at face value, which basically means Chiori replaces Albedo in Itto teams. Other geos/teams would be able to use her, but the construct synergy thing feels geared towards Itto since Noelle already reaped the benefit of Furina and Navia doesn't seem to need much. Also giving her a def-focused crit weapon would mean a 5* that they can run with Albedo if they're so committed to never giving out Spindle again.

I often wanted to get Albedo for a Ninguang team but because of the general geo malaise it just never happened.

Fortunately Navia rocks socks and Chiori ~may~ be a really good sub dps for her team, kit pending, so we'll see. I might at long last spent money again on more than just the monthly pass when Chiori comes out. I still have the yearly reset bonus available.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

xianyun is on my re-run list mainly to wait for more plunge characters to get released since my only character that would benefit with her is diluc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like everything about Xianyun except everything about her kit using plunge attacks, so I guess I'm skipping. Ah well that's how it goes.

Could probably use another Nahida constellation though. If I win the 50/50 since I'm about ~15 wishes from hard pity.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Cloud Retainer would be the perfect standard banner character especially for new players to pull. Great world exploration and if you've just got like a Freminet or Razor hanging out they can work with her until you get better characters later on.

As a limited character though, she has a lot less value to me. I don't know if I want to play GaMing and I don't have Diluc or Xiao. Her triple jump doesn't seem all that useful for me since Sumeru and Fontaine have their own travel mechanics and you're not as reliant on the windcatcher trinket or a Venti boost. I've already got a couple healers like Charlotte I'd like to play out eventually and a Yaoyao & Jean already built.

I like Cloud Retainer as a character a lot, I like her design, and her kit looks fun but I think they leaned a little too hard in being a niche playstyle. Kazuha's probably coming by the end of Fontaine and I definitely need him more than I need a niche playstyle. I like the looks of Arlecchino and so far the other two harbringers brought a pretty unique playstyle of their own with strong damage and I'd rather build a team around a main DPS unit over building a team over a niche support unit

That being said I have the luxury of having two accounts, although it's basically naked. I *do* have Diluc, Hu Tao, and Xiao on that one and it's at hard pity with a 50/50. It might be years before I ever get back to playing it seriously but she'd be a lot of fun to play with some of those characters.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Saving for Yae Miko cause Mihoyo love putting her on banners right after stellar characters so I miss her, but she would be a great switch up for Fischl on my current team in a way that Raiden Shogun isn't.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tampa Bae posted:

The second-half of the 4.4 banner gets the Xinyun hot potato. Xiao/Yae Miko & Xinyun, Ning, and Yaoyao. Kinda weird to shove 3 Liyue characters on a banner the same patch all three have the option of being free, but I guess just about anyone who doesn't have C6 XQ is going to want his constellations anyway
The weapon banner is also painful. Standard 5* paired with Yae's weapon is already a bad start, but the 4* options just don't gel with anything you actually want out of a banner. The weapons -- Lion's Roar, Widsith, Favonius Lance, Stringless, and Lithic Blade -- aren't awful in a vacuum (well, Lithic Blade kinda is), but something about all of them together on a PJWS banner just feels unspeakably off-putting. The front half weapon banner isn't exactly the Lyney/Yelan weapon banner or anything, but it's at least tolerable for people who really want one of the weapons, and the contrast between the character banners is... it's something, alright.

Of course, anyone who is already a Xiao main probably knows that Xianyun and Faruzan copies will do vastly more for them than any more Xiao copies would, but the poor Yae simps are caught in the crossfire (except the true Yae simps who C6R5'd her ages ago).

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

Cloud Retainer would be the perfect standard banner character especially for new players to pull. Great world exploration ...

This is a good point and might actually influence me to roll a bit on Cloud Retainer - do we know if her skill is actually good for exploration? I find myself playing the game a little less these days and only come back when there's new world expansions so I feel like most of my time now is doing quests and exploration rather than prepping for abyss or anything. I'd really like an exploration team that feels both powerful AND good at exploration but I don't think I have that yet. I skipped Wanderer since I didn't like the character and he seemed like he needed Faruzan c6 to actually be powerful, but my wife got him and teases me about how easy he makes overworld exploration.

What are folks' favorite exploration teams? Lately I've been running Neuvilette / Furina / Yelan / Kaz to play with my new Fontaine characters. It's nice to be able to walk on water, dash with Yelan, and double jump, and Neuv makes fighting most things easy, but the team can't deal with hydro enemies. Maybe I'll try swapping Neuv with Diluc to still have a tall male "default" character with a different element that can also break rocks.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Honestly I haven't noticed much need for her triple jump in Sumeru, but I'm just now hitting the desert. I've walked around most of the map in Fontaine but a lot of that region's underwater so it doesn't help a ton there either. The biggest strength a character with vertical ability would be Mondstat, Liyue, Enkanomiya, The Chasm, and Dragonspine since they've got lots of mountains and out-of-reach oculus but no travel mechanic like the Inazuma slingshots or Sumeru grapple-hook type things.

In Mondstat you do get the Wind Catcher fairly early, which works like Venti's skill and alleviates a little bit of the pain as long as you remember to recharge it but the game really is just built around using the Traveler + Lisa/Kaeya/Amber, it's just that other characters can make it much easier.

Lynette isn't bad for exploration, I got her at C4 and although her dash is just regular running speed, it doesn't consume stamina/you recharge stamina while it's active, it's just the F2P version of Yelan's dash and there's occasional need for an anemo character in the world. plus her taunt works on just about everything except bosses and doesn't have a health bar which pairs pretty well with Neuvillette if you don't have a shielder on the team

Sayu is alright too, she's a short character but her dash is a lot of fun, she's a healer (Not a good one, but still a healer), and she's a claymore user so she can also break rocks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well Chiori's kit is out, and while it's currently just autotranslated so rather hard to parse she looks like a rather narrow unit. If you love mono-geo and wanted to upgrade from Albedo she's your girl. If you hoped she'd work with Navia, better shell out for c2 like was said.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 30, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I cant believe how long itto mono geo has had to lean on C4 gorou healer. Noelle gets to choose between furina and albedo+chiori.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Well they gave her on and off field modes, so that's nice.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Other than Navia and Zhongli Geo characters don't really get a lot of teams to begin with. It's not really their faults, geo just has one pitiful reaction and Navia and Zhongli are the only ones that really get any benefit from it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tampa Bae posted:

Other than Navia and Zhongli Geo characters don't really get a lot of teams to begin with. It's not really their faults, geo just has one pitiful reaction and Navia and Zhongli are the only ones that really get any benefit from it

Yeah. I really need to start grinding for better Zhongli artifacts since I haven't seen much of a benefit from him yet, but even at C0 Navia can hit like a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Realizing that Chiori will release in a free weapon patch, so we might also get a new f2p Albedo option. I hope it's like a giant needle or something though...