Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shiroc posted:

I think it maaaaaay have been a mistake to say that the vaccines were absolutely perfectly protective against infection with zero side effects and that anything suggesting otherwise is lunatic antivaxx.

Now, now. This is how we defeated the vibedemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

My brother finally popped positive after 6 days of symptoms so it does really wildly varies.

Although I'm surprised that that they even offered a covid test and that they're aware that there's lots of Covid going around lately

Yeah, that's also how I got got more than a year ago. Brother was symptomatic on Monday, tested negative on PCR and rapid, fully recovered but started sneezing repeatedly on Saturday when he went to say his good byes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Didn't someone post an article a while back on how people perceive "flu shot" and "influenza vaccine" differently?

Anyway, if people are internalizing "covid's just a flu" but still getting only flu shots, maybe someone in public health policy should I dunno figure out why and do something about it? Just a thought...

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

silicone thrills posted:

I stopped after number 3 because each time i got one the side effects were getting worse for me and that was with switching it up on brands.

flu shot never did this poo poo to me. never gave me hives. never gave me horrible fevers, uncontrollable shivering, auditory hallucinations, vertigo, etc.

I stopped after four even though I'm technically high risk, the side effects were just so extreme and would knock me out for days and then three months after getting vaccinated a new variant would be dominant and that protection meant nothing. I wear my Aura when I go out, I'm only ever out for thirty minutes a week, and people close to me are pretty good about masking so it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Didn't someone post an article a while back on how people perceive "flu shot" and "influenza vaccine" differently?

Anyway, if people are internalizing "covid's just a flu" but still getting only flu shots, maybe someone in public health policy should I dunno figure out why and do something about it? Just a thought...

"God gave you two arms, one for the flu shot and one for COVID."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shiroc posted:

I think it maaaaaay have been a mistake to say that the vaccines were absolutely perfectly protective against infection with zero side effects and that anything suggesting otherwise is lunatic antivaxx.

It’s like every one of those intense propaganda efforts, about saving proper masks for healthcare workers, just the flu, the vaccine is perfect one and done etc etc has created more and more knock on effects.

People are right to be skeptical because they have obviously been lied to for years now, but with no ability to discern what the lies where and why they were told, they end up believing the virus was never real or whatever.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"lmao" doesn't quite cover it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2024/01/25/library-congress-covid-oral-history/ posted:

Library of Congress launches covid oral history project
Pandemic accounts can be recorded for posterity via StoryCorps
(..)
“Our goal is that, centuries from now, people looking through these online archives will know that, amidst the darkness of the global pandemic, America discovered its strength in unity, resilience, and innovation,” library spokeswoman Maria Peña said in an email.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Hellequin posted:

I stopped after four even though I'm technically high risk, the side effects were just so extreme and would knock me out for days and then three months after getting vaccinated a new variant would be dominant and that protection meant nothing. I wear my Aura when I go out, I'm only ever out for thirty minutes a week, and people close to me are pretty good about masking so it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

If you haven't gotten Novavax yet it might be worth checking out. I had increasingly strong reactions to each mRNA shot, from basically nothing from the initial one to two days of pain from the new booster in September. I got Novavaxxed maybe two weeks ago and all I had was some minor pain at the injection site for a day. I know vaccines don't do that much but if you can get 'em for free they're better than nothing.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think probably the biggest cause of vaccine hesitancy is the antivaxxers vocally blaming every goddamn thing on the vaccine, and since covid is just a cold now, being almost unchallenged. The government can't come out and say these increases in heart attacks and strokes are actually because of the loving virus that we knew from almost day 1 caused clots and worse.

When my friend told me he had to take his kid to the ER with heart palpitations, of course I didnt crow about "not normal for a healthy 12 year old to have heart trouble, how many times has he had covid????" because im not a complete dickhole. If it actually got real bad, I don't want to be the guy who made him feel like he permanently damaged his son because he abandoned all precautions. But the antivax assholes in his life are sure to tell him it was the vaccine! Maybe he gets angry at them, but it's sure to stick in his mind. And he's not gonna get the kid vaxxed again, that's for sure. "Boys get myocarditis from the vax, everyone knows that now".

It's gotta be public health hammering the truth home, not an individual responsibility. But they've been telling white lies and "meeting people halfway" for four years now.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

I think probably the biggest cause of vaccine hesitancy is the antivaxxers vocally blaming every goddamn thing on the vaccine, and since covid is just a cold now, being almost unchallenged. The government can't come out and say these increases in heart attacks and strokes are actually because of the loving virus that we knew from almost day 1 caused clots and worse.

When my friend told me he had to take his kid to the ER with heart palpitations, of course I didnt crow about "not normal for a healthy 12 year old to have heart trouble, how many times has he had covid????" because im not a complete dickhole. If it actually got real bad, I don't want to be the guy who made him feel like he permanently damaged his son because he abandoned all precautions. But the antivax assholes in his life are sure to tell him it was the vaccine! Maybe he gets angry at them, but it's sure to stick in his mind. And he's not gonna get the kid vaxxed again, that's for sure. "Boys get myocarditis from the vax, everyone knows that now".

It's gotta be public health hammering the truth home, not an individual responsibility. But they've been telling white lies and "meeting people halfway" for four years now.

"Vaccinated people are immune and can't spread the virus" isn't a white lie, though. Neither was shortening the isolation period to five days (and in CA to one now). Or telling people masks don't work and only grudgingly and haltingly admitting that wasn't true after months. Or putting infectious people in nursing homes. Public health officials killed tens of thousands of people who didn't have to die, maybe hundreds, because it was politically expedient and number needed more blood. Like I get what you're saying but the authorities aren't on the side of the angels. The entire immunity debt canard is anti-vax conspiracism getting mainstreamed into public health via the back door, for example.

I'm not really trying to make point at your expense or suggest you should shout at your friend about his kid being in the ER because of the virus, but at this point anti vaxxers and almost the entire PH institution in the West are going to bat for the same side: interventions are bad, number is good, the disease is mild, back to normal.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

"Vaccinated people are immune and can't spread the virus" isn't a white lie, though. Neither was shortening the isolation period to five days (and in CA to one now). Or telling people masks don't work and only grudgingly and haltingly admitting that wasn't true after months. Or putting infectious people in nursing homes. Public health officials killed tens of thousands of people who didn't have to die, maybe hundreds, because it was politically expedient and number needed more blood. Like I get what you're saying but the authorities aren't on the side of the angels. The entire immunity debt canard is anti-vax conspiracism getting mainstreamed into public health via the back door, for example.

I'm not really trying to make point at your expense or suggest you should shout at your friend about his kid being in the ER because of the virus, but at this point anti vaxxers and almost the entire PH institution in the West are going to bat for the same side: interventions are bad, number is good, the disease is mild, back to normal.

Yah I used "white lie" from their perspective... cus I dont think most (any) of the people in public health are actually evil. But the school of thought that you need to twist the truth to make it more palatable, or for what someone deems the greater good (save masks for healthcare, don't cause a panic, get more people to take the initial vaccine), and only push as far as not getting too much pushback... Expediency like you said, above all. I think that is pretty much at the root of why antivax won. Politicians running public health, not scientists.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Leaping to kill masking in order to undermine OSHA rules was pretty loving evil though, beyond any (best faith) deeply misguided messaging lies.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baddog posted:

Yah I used "white lie" from their perspective... cus I dont think most (any) of the people in public health are actually evil. But the school of thought that you need to twist the truth to make it more palatable, or for what someone deems the greater good (save masks for healthcare, don't cause a panic, get more people to take the initial vaccine), and only push as far as not getting too much pushback... Expediency like you said, above all. I think that is pretty much at the root of why antivax won. Politicians running public health, not scientists.

You'd need to be criminally incompetent to be a public health official and honestly consider messaging strategies like this as "white lies." The most generous possible interpretation is that some people viewed lying as legitimate harm reduction, but only in the sense that they believed economic harm outweighed nearly any number of dead bodies. These narratives were harmful in ways that were incredibly obvious to non-experts and shouldn't have required a moment's thoughts for people involved in any kind of healthcare or public health management.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

I mean just curious but if someone believes they told a white lie and that resulted in like ten thousand deaths, is that evil to you

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Shiroc posted:

Leaping to kill masking in order to undermine OSHA rules was pretty loving evil though, beyond any (best faith) deeply misguided messaging lies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/anordinarygirl/status/1751640601437544755?s=46

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Jan 29, 2024

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Ugh, you could afford better Brad Pitt, if the purpose of that is to keep you from getting covid.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Or even paint fumes.

It's for covid though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Plague Inc is on sale on PlayStation. Recommendable?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Frosted Flake posted:

I went for a light nordic ski, I planned for about 3 hours, yesterday after work. About 2 hours in I felt nauseous, then clumsy, then weak, and then I could barely get out of my bindings and stay conscious while I sat down and propped myself up against a tree. It took me about 20 minutes to recover.

from a few pages back but after I had COVID in Nov I asked this thread and then followed a more conservative version of this

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/how-and-when-to-start-exercising-again-after-covid-19

the first couple times I went alpine skiing I noticed that even taking it easy my max heart rate would spike to higher than last year's max by about 5%. Concerning. However, now I've skiied a total of about 24hrs (not incl lift time) over 12-14 days out for 100k vertical and I do not feel at all impaired compared to last year and my max, avg and recovery HR is the same as it's been the last few years.

I'm not ruling out a random heart attack or stroke until something else kills me, though

lol nordic, do you hate yourself THAT much? :troll: god dang canadians, they're so close to me physically but they act like a different species

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Yeah, since public discussion happened entirely within the parameters set by the capitalis class we had one side that had a bunch of wunderwaffen that would/had solved covid and that time people were supposed to feel bad when meeting friends after work was a lockdown. The other side was just demolishing germ theory. Both agreed that any interference in capitalist run production processes was the height of authoritanism.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Insanite posted:

bumming ppl out by accurately describing reality is a lockdown

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

Ugh, you could afford better Brad Pitt, if the purpose of that is to keep you from getting covid.
i hate this poo poo
you're a millionaire/billionaire and yet you wear some garbage, like gently caress come on

Steve Yun posted:

Plague Inc is on sale on PlayStation. Recommendable?
I've only played on mobile but it's fun and worth it imo. Also worth the lols with how the game responds to emergencies compared to what happened in real life.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

my flo spray is almost out and last week i went to buy some only to balk as it was near $30 for a bottle
prices are now back to new normal
hmm wonder why

Tzen has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Jan 29, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

I mean just curious but if someone believes they told a white lie and that resulted in like ten thousand deaths, is that evil to you

I'd rather talk about how antivaxxers have somehow completely shifted consensus by just screeching "it's the vaccines" over and over. At least after public health almost completely vacated the conversation. A few doctors trying to have earnest one on ones with their patients about vaccine efficacy is not going to move the needle at this point.

You're kind of hung up on this morality and general philosophy tangent though - because of my word choice while I was trying to make a point? Ok, if we are weighing up the stains on someone's immortal soul, or whatever proxy for a soul you believe in, yes I think intentions matter considerably. Not just outcomes. Someone can be narcissistic, egotistical, unprepared, dumb, lazy, weak, manipulative, obtuse, even all-of-the-above but still not be "evil".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

beat on first try. I guess I knew what traits to evolve thanks to uh, the last 3 years

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Steve Yun posted:

beat on first try. I guess I knew what traits to evolve thanks to uh, the last 3 years

:capitalism:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
new HK3 diss track dropped, JN1 spiraling

https://x.com/00bohr/status/1751362209123352670?s=46

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Steve Yun posted:

new HK3 diss track dropped, JN1 spiraling
(..)

HK.3 has already been clowned on by JN.1 worldwide, so I doubt it. If I were to guess, all of the (very tiny amount of) sequences are from a single lab, which for one reason or another mostly has HK.3.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I am not at all well-versed enough in this to grasp this article, but I don't like the sound of the title of this article. If someone with the knowledge to do so would like to give it a read and comment, that would be very nice.
"Epigenetic repression of antiviral genes by SARS-CoV-2 NSP1"

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0297262 posted:

Abstract
The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) evades the innate immune machinery through multiple viral proteins, including nonstructural protein 1 (NSP1). While NSP1 is known to suppress translation of host mRNAs, the mechanisms underlying its immune evasion properties remain elusive. By integrating RNA-seq, ribosome footprinting, and ChIP-seq in A549 cells we found that NSP1 predominantly represses transcription of immune-related genes by favoring Histone 3 Lysine 9 dimethylation (H3K9me2). G9a/GLP H3K9 methyltransferase inhibitor UNC0638 restored expression of antiviral genes and restricted SARS-CoV-2 replication. Our multi-omics study unravels an epigenetic mechanism underlying host immune evasion by SARS-CoV-2 NSP1. Elucidating the factors involved in this phenomenon, may have implications for understanding and treating viral infections and other immunomodulatory diseases.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Haven't seen the European measles numbers before. It is pretty impressive! The article is pretty dumb, so I don't recommend the read:

https://www.ft.com/content/0961aebd-b15f-460b-9fbc-9c2acd1f1570 posted:

The worrying return of a nasty virus
Better awareness and access are needed to rebuild measles vaccination rates

Measles was long considered conquered in many developed countries thanks to vaccination programmes. But last week the World Health Organization warned of an “alarming rise” in the virus across its 53-country European region. Cases leapt to 42,207 in January-November 2023, against 942 in all of 2022. Russia and Kazakhstan reported more than 10,000 cases each. Among west European countries, the UK had the highest confirmed cases, with 183 — and after a recent surge in parts of England millions of parents are being contacted to urge them to catch up with their children’s missed immunisations. The resurgence of measles is an alarm call for public health authorities to look at why vaccination rates have dropped — and how to rebuild them.
(..)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

I am not at all well-versed enough in this to grasp this article, but I don't like the sound of the title of this article. If someone with the knowledge to do so would like to give it a read and comment, that would be very nice.
"Epigenetic repression of antiviral genes by SARS-CoV-2 NSP1"

It's nice that we're doing some research on the rest of the virus instead of focusing solely on just the spike protein at least.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zantie posted:

(..)
Nitter's giving me issues again, sorry.

Sadly this might be permanent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/1act8c5/nitter_is_dead/?rdt=64205 posted:

(..)
"Nitter currently relies on the mass generation of guest accounts, a weird anonymous form of account that was only supported by old versions of the Twitter app. Creation of them was totally disabled today, so every nitter instance will be dead in under 30 days (when they expire). Scrapers apparently also relied on this, as every public nitter instance was being hammered by scrapers earlier. Instances will probably shut down quite soon unless someone finds another way to create tens of thousands of accounts in an automated fashion for free."
(..)

Until they expire, other instances than the main can be looked up here:
https://twiiit.com/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
curse this predictable and foreseen result of enclosure

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Thoguh posted:

Welp, got the ‘Give up on trying to avoid COVID or go on the spreadsheet’ ultimatum. Attempting to at least hold my ground on indoor dining. gently caress public health and all authorities in this country and may my and my child’s cases be mild and infrequent.
Sorry to hear, dude. The ultimatum route is not the best way for this outcome to happen either. And as you recognize, being parents together means there are only bad and worse options. I hope y'all figure that all out insofar as such a thing is possible.

Sadly this sort of thing became inevitable when "wait, you don't want to be sick??" became the norm. Because then it makes you the weirdo/pain in the rear end who buzzkills everyone else's fun.

Pingui posted:

Haven't seen the European measles numbers before. It is pretty impressive! The article is pretty dumb, so I don't recommend the read:
There is no end to the horrors wrought by lockdowns.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The most generous possible interpretation is that some people viewed lying as legitimate harm reduction, but only in the sense that they believed economic harm outweighed nearly any number of dead bodies.

"The economy" such that it exists in the US is a vacuum cleaner directing the economic output of hundreds of millions of people into the pockets of 150 families, so "people must die to keep the economy healthy" is an evil thing in and of itself. There's no reason we couldn't have made permanent adjustments to how we do business and handle schooling and healthcare in this country to keep people alive and well; we just didn't because it meant some minor percentage of economic activity would have been spent on those things rather than being siphoned to the top. And that would have been the true horror scenario.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"The economy" such that it exists in the US is a vacuum cleaner directing the economic output of hundreds of millions of people into the pockets of 150 families, so "people must die to keep the economy healthy" is an evil thing in and of itself. There's no reason we couldn't have made permanent adjustments to how we do business and handle schooling and healthcare in this country to keep people alive and well; we just didn't because it meant some minor percentage of economic activity would have been spent on those things rather than being siphoned to the top. And that would have been the true horror scenario.

:hmmyes:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Baddog posted:

I'm in a similar boat, a friend of mine just had a miscarriage. She had covid early on in the pregnancy, I know that covid increases the chances of a miscarriage, but I'm not going to tell my friend that her being reckless with covid may have caused her miscarriage. Especially right now while she's really sad that she's not having a baby anymore. In a more sane world public health would be putting out PSAs about covid and the many potential problems it can cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shoot I'm looking at the wastewater data and it's showing a decline. And yet I doubt that's the case because right now it does seem like we're on the rapid rise again. Several coworkers called out, my little sister and her boyfriend is sick and my mom is being inundated with tons of calls to get her sub for tons of teachers out sick (but it's okay because it'll be a light workload because tons of students are out sick too)