Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Playing with the minimap/UI enabled, shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's set on the grand plateau but I forget exactly what kicks it off

I think you have to talk to the bargainer statue at the great mine underground first, then go to that little temple on the Great Plateau

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I can't believe I made it 100 hours into the game before realizing that the UI compass map changes to reflect whatever map you last looked at on the Purah Pad. This makes exploring the depths considerably less of a slog because it's a little easier to see what isn't scalable or if there's an easier passage since the depths mirror the surface. You of course have to have the surface map unlocked too.

Yeah, super useful. At a certain point it becomes almost necessary to figure out how to access some of the areas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember when I first name that happen I thought my hand was glitched and was panicking "How do I get it to show the right compass!? I can't reset, I will lose the dupe glitch!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Akratic Method posted:

I think you have to talk to the bargainer statue at the great mine underground first, then go to that little temple on the Great Plateau

Other way round I think - go visit the Temple of Time to get things started.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Holy crap.

Started playing this morning, checked the Adventure Log, and I've already done it, so apparently it didn't bug out for me :v:

I don't know how many things I have left to do (Side Quests/Side Adventures) until it's time to just go to the finish line.

I've really liked this game though :)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Yeah that quest kinda blows. And it sticks out like a sore thumb in a game that is generally so polished.

It's a shame because it feels like the type of quest that I would have liked to have seen more of. Having to bring stuff from the overworld to the Depths was a cool idea.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The quest mechanics were kind of clunky but the quest itself was pretty cool and exciting, it was one of those moments of pure discovery and "I have no idea what's going to happen!" that I think TotK somewhat lacked in comparison to BotW. It was kind of underwhelming that you awaken the weird dead god and he's just a vendor though lol.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Most disappointing end to a quest is absolutely the gerudo one.

I'm guessing the 8th hero to have helped but didn't get credit was ganondorf? it's been a while since I played and by the time I got to the last part of the quest I was kind of done with the whole thing.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Houle posted:

I'm guessing the 8th hero to have helped but didn't get credit was ganondorf? it's been a while since I played and by the time I got to the last part of the quest I was kind of done with the whole thing.
That was my impression too, but I've still got a dozen or so quests left to find. Surprisingly low return for the effort/time.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I finally beat the game. It was fun, had a good time and I'm kind of bummed it's over

Please shower me with praise.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Houle posted:

My assumption was a foreign voe, maybe a Link but it doesn't really matter and could've been anyone. Given that his existence was covered up simply for being male, but was still held in honor by those that knew, and they felt like poo poo that their traditions necessitated secrecy.
Whereas if the hero in question was Ganondorf I would expect the story to instead have been "He was formerly publicly honored while he was king, and then memoryholed in disgrace after being ousted for his evilness."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sab0921 posted:

I finally beat the game. It was fun, had a good time and I'm kind of bummed it's over

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

A great game always leaves you with a bittersweet feeling that it's over. Hope you enjoyed it and that those memories stay with you! It and BOTW will remain one of the best 1-2 punches from original to sequel ever.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Houle posted:

The Seven Heroines are a distorted oral history of the Imprisoning War, the Seven Heroines are the Seven Sages, with the Eight Heroine being Zelda as a time-loop-induced Extra Sage

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Captain Hygiene posted:

A new 2D Zelda clone just dropped, Saga of the Moon Priestess. I haven't played much, but it's going for the GBC aesthetic pretty much to a fault, which I love:

It's already pretty cheap from the start, but under $5 with the launch discount. I've played a ways into the tutorial dungeon and it seems fun so far. My main complaint is that your starter weapon feels very Zelda 1-esque, in that it stabs straight forward rather than swinging to hit enemies that are further off to your side. That's a bit aggravating, and the movement feels a bit slow, but I'm still looking forward to playing more.

Hey, I've been digging this game over the weekend, thanks for giving it a shoutout!

The starter weapon has a subtly large hit box, which feels best when taking out four tufts of grass/pots at once.

Biggest complaints would be the lack of story progression as you complete dungeons, and that you have to walk yourself out of dungeons.

I'm four dungeons in and it's clear the developer was proudest of its original puzzle idea: The mirror puzzles are way more complex/interesting than everything that precedes them. I'm sure the "teleport across gaps" tool will go similarly.

Not sure if the inconspicuous duck is truly innocent or dealing :birddrugs:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It always comes back down to the imprisoning war doesn't it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

The Seven Heroines are a distorted oral history of the Imprisoning War, the Seven Heroines are the Seven Sages, with the Eight Heroine being Zelda as a time-loop-induced Extra Sage

I'm not sure this is the case because the Mysterious Eight sidequest leads you to a place where the seven heroines themselves write down who the eight was some time after the events.

Inscription from Gerudo Side Quest posted:

"Long ago, a monstrosity of the sands attacked Gerudo Town. Its war cry rang out over the dunes like a raging demon.
We seven heroines of the Gerudo—the most stalwart, chosen vai—surged forth to engage it.
Yet this monstrosity tossed us about like the tumbling weeds. We feared the proud Gerudo would be extinguished.
And then...a hero appeared from afar. He marshaled the seven heroines, counseling us to combine our strengths.
The strength upon strength of we seven routed the monstrosity. We named our benefactor, "the guiding light of the Gerudo."

Unless that inscription was written in the first person by a third party, it's not related to the imprisoning war. Some bits later in the inscription imply it might even predate the TotK imprisoning war.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Runcible Cat posted:

Other way round I think - go visit the Temple of Time to get things started.
Don’t you talk to a statue after emptying the water at the ‘entrance’ of the plateau or am I thinking of a different quest?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
No, that's the one.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finished the spirit temple and I’m wondering how I should leave and ultimately how to come back should I want to use either of these merchant robots down here. I think I took an elevator down to this area but I can’t seem to activate it to take me out. I’m sure I can teleport out. How do I get back down here later if I want to buy stuff?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wildtortilla posted:

I finished the spirit temple and I’m wondering how I should leave and ultimately how to come back should I want to use either of these merchant robots down here. I think I took an elevator down to this area but I can’t seem to activate it to take me out. I’m sure I can teleport out. How do I get back down here later if I want to buy stuff?

IIRC, you can take the elevator back in again, or just drop down the hole. I think it's just a hole now. You will have to warp out to leave, though.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Murdstone posted:

Don’t you talk to a statue after emptying the water at the ‘entrance’ of the plateau or am I thinking of a different quest?

Yeah, the statue talks to you through the goddess statue to ask you to drain the pond. Though I daresay you can drain the pond randomly and start there knowing this game...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can, that's how I found that quest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Wildtortilla posted:

iirc it wasn't difficult at all to get back to those merchants.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks everyone. I worked on that quest line for about 2 weeks with innumerable interruptions. Last night I finally finished it, went to leave the room, and was like "there's no exit how did I get here?"

The Switch is sometimes too easy to pick up and play for it's own good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I was quite surprised when I unplugged that thing and saw a massive amount of water blast out at where Link and his horse were. I was honestly wondering if it was going to be a failure state.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Great Sky Island Skip was discovered a couple weeks ago.

It is actually way slower than speedrunning the game normally, but makes it possible to do a 0.0% run.

https://youtu.be/Gu_zlst9T0w?si=Dao74-syqt9o8vlw

Here's a guy explaining it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dampe's Dungeon Maker was halfway onto a clever thing. Being able to create dungeons and beat them under certain restrictions would have been impactful if you didn't try it literally at the end of the game when maxed out.

I think there's a rogue like randomizer potential in the concept, but it would be in a game twice as long.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dampe's Dungeon Maker was halfway onto a clever thing. Being able to create dungeons and beat them under certain restrictions would have been impactful if you didn't try it literally at the end of the game when maxed out.

I think there's a rogue like randomizer potential in the concept, but it would be in a game twice as long.

Yeah, it was a cool idea, but the restrictions placed on actually building the dungeons that they ask for made it super frustrating and just force you to abandon your design over and over.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
About how long does it take to complete the game once I jump down the chasm below the castle?

I’d like to do it all in one sitting on my big tv but it’s hard to find uninterrupted time with kids.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

About how long does it take to complete the game once I jump down the chasm below the castle?

I’d like to do it all in one sitting on my big tv but it’s hard to find uninterrupted time with kids.
If you've killed all the regional bosses above ground not long at all if you're hauling rear end and not meticulously clearing every area. As long as you can figure out the mechanics of the last few bits in reasonable time I'd say 2-3 hours tops. I may be forgetting things though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That long? I would've guessed more like an hour, 90 minutes tops if you're not slowing down for everything. I could be remembering completely wrong, it's been a while now.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you’re hauling rear end it won’t even take that long, I was decidedly not hauling rear end and I think I cleared it in about 2-3 hours

Do yourself a favor and break the Master Sword when you get to the jumping point in the chamber where the game started, then wait for it to recharge. You’ll go into the final confrontation with a fully charged Master Sword, but more importantly, you’ll get to let the final area’s breathtaking music wash over you for ten minutes.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Do yourself a favor and break the Master Sword when you get to the jumping point in the chamber where the game started, then wait for it to recharge. You’ll go into the final confrontation with a fully charged Master Sword, but more importantly, you’ll get to let the final area’s breathtaking music wash over you for ten minutes.

Pretty sure the Master Sword has infinite durability during at least the Ganondorf fight and very possibly the horde battle ahead of it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Regardless of whether or not that's true, definitely take the recommendation on the music.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

fatsleepycat posted:

Pretty sure the Master Sword has infinite durability during at least the Ganondorf fight and very possibly the horde battle ahead of it.

Look I'm just trying to get people to appreciate the music okay

That was my real motivation for standing on the diving board for ten minutes :colbert:

Manoueverable posted:

Regardless of whether or not that's true, definitely take the recommendation on the music.

this guy gets it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’m looking forward to the music. I remember hearing the Hyrule Castle themes in BOTW and being awestruck. Nothing in TOTK has delivered like that yet. Here’s hoping.

I don’t know when I’m going to find 1.5-3 hours of uninterrupted gaming time, hahahahaha. But if the music is as good as you all say it is, maybe should be a handheld + headphones finale? I’m much more of a sucker for good music than I am for big screens.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you can find the uninterrupted gaming time to do it, do both - I played the finale docked with headphones in, highly recommend

Now that you mention it, though - yes, definitely have headphones in for the last stretch. Without really being able to explain it, the last dungeon’s music is very well-suited to having headphones in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Another good idea is to place one of those travel medallion things at the “point of no return”. That way if you run out of time or find yourself wishing you had more food or whatever you can easily port away and then come back when you’re prepared.

Specifically it’s pretty obvious but basically if you find yourself about to jump off a “diving board to hell” as another goon put it, that’s the spot.