Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I just want my multi-platform subway stations :( and for interchanges to snap to nodes instead of the janky rubber band poo poo they do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I just want my multi-platform subway stations :( and for interchanges to snap to nodes instead of the janky rubber band poo poo they do now

I just want a drat elevated station and stations that aren’t three platform monstrosities the size of a stadium. But I guess I have to wait until October for that!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah I think it's clear that the intent was that it would be an emergent dynamic simulation but that turned out way harder than they thought and they were taking too long and told they had to get it out and they ended up neutering most of it to try to get it under control and releasable.

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

That's exactly how Sim City 2013 went lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RagnarokZ posted:

Paradox is a publicly traded company, that means shareholder and these days, that means Tencent is there, there's a Swedish venture capital fund that occasionally sell of shares to fund other ventures and sure, Wester owns a third, but still, obligations are obligations.

Yep :sigh: Such is the way of things under capitalism.

Turns out when they got rid of teeth we were not golden

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
When they can import teeth, I think we'll be golden.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There had better be a mod that adds teeth buildings, teeth buses, etc.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There had better be a mod that adds teeth buildings, teeth buses, etc.

Mod tools wont be available until fall, sorry.

That's not a joke by the way, that's basically what they just stated.

No toxicity intended.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

skooma512 posted:

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

That's exactly how Sim City 2013 went lol

WHAT WAS, WILL BE; WHAT WILL BE, WAS

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokZ posted:

Mod tools wont be available until fall, sorry.

That's not a joke by the way, that's basically what they just stated.

No toxicity intended.

Actually, I don't think their statement contained the 'sorry' part

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And from the game consumers ran

Yet still...

WE END AS WE BEGAN

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Steam active player numbers for CS2 have fallen below CS1 lol.

CS2:

CS1:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mod tools will probably never be available.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It doesn't really seem like that matters at all at the moment, as usual the community is just plowing ahead regardless. The only big deal is those creators who can't release stuff because they have agreed it will go on the PDX mods platform.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Think they'll even bother with a Word of the Week?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

serious gaylord posted:

Think they'll even bother with a Word of the Week?

They did, this time going over the patch process, and some details on fixes that will be in the next patch (whenever that is):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/co-word-of-the-week-10.1622604/

quote:

Patch 1.0.19 will include a collection of fixes for issues we’ve discovered internally or have been reported to us by you. Thank you again for all the reports, it’s much appreciated! Full patch notes will be available when the patch is released, but here’s a little summary of the things we’ve been working on.

Improvements to the gameplay are mainly focusing on the land value:
- Land value will be affected by ground pollution. The ground pollution will first slowly reduce the land value increasing, and when the pollution gets worse it will start to decrease the land value
- Land value won't decrease to 0 even with heavily polluted land
- Land value will increase according to industrial company's profitability value
Land value is likely to receive more love in future updates, but more on that in the future.
On top of these, we’ve also improved the search for parking spaces. Anyone who is driving a car in a bigger city knows how tricky it can be!

Some balancing work went into the Incinerator Plant as building the Extra Incinerator Furnace upgrade would cause it to produce less electricity, the opposite of what the effect should be, and little tweaks were introduced to the resources to avoid traffic jams at the cargo stations. Then there was the appropriate care put into the youth as the teens and children required balancing for their spawn rates and now more teens are entering the High School to get educated. Think about the children, they say!

No patch without some focus on the performance. This time we’ve optimized shadow culling, pathfind scheduling (especially visible as faster and more stable simulation speed in very large cities), added cooldown to avoid too many queries on citizens seeking education when the city doesn’t have enough schools, and reordered some rendering related systems to reduce waiting in the main thread.

Last but not least, the patch fixes issues in the statistics panel, multiple cases of random crashes (crash to desktop when selecting "moving in" household, after modifying roads with citizen group at specific state, and when modifying road with pedestrian path connected in a specific way, to name a few) as well as added some missing text and translations.

oh I missed this part:

quote:

The devs at Colossal Order are fully focusing on improving Cities: Skylines II further after patch 1.0.19 is out. Actions speak louder than words so we’ll pause these weekly posts and be back when we cover the content of the next patch/release for the game.

So yeah turns out this will be the last one for a while, until they put out these patches.

Taking a look at the post on reddit, and people seem pretty unhappy: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/1adw1db/co_word_of_the_week_10/

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 29, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Actions speak louder than words, so since we don't plan on ever fixing any of the problems we might as well not say anything either. Thanks for the money! Bye!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Do they have a skeleton crew working on this? I really don't understand this act of self-sabotage.

Put one or two people on bugfix duty, push to prod weekly. A steady trickle of activity to show you are still alive, and someone has to work to reduce all the tech debt anyway. Might as well be public about it.

Seriously, what's going on over there?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those words of the week sure got depressing, fast, eh? Better just stop doing them until we have better news, lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have After Dark, what other CS1 dlc is worth grabbing? There's a lot now lol

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I have After Dark, what other CS1 dlc is worth grabbing? There's a lot now lol

The subreddit has a good guide on this, from a lot of user submitted data: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/wiki/bestdlc

I heavily recommend Industries (makes the industries realistic sized and fun), Mass Transit (adds transit hubs), and Parklife (adds custom parks and zoos and stuff).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

piratepilates posted:

The subreddit has a good guide on this, from a lot of user submitted data: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/wiki/bestdlc

I heavily recommend Industries (makes the industries realistic sized and fun), Mass Transit (adds transit hubs), and Parklife (adds custom parks and zoos and stuff).

Thanks for the recommendations, and I'll give that link a look

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Antigravitas posted:

Do they have a skeleton crew working on this? I really don't understand this act of self-sabotage.

Put one or two people on bugfix duty, push to prod weekly. A steady trickle of activity to show you are still alive, and someone has to work to reduce all the tech debt anyway. Might as well be public about it.

Seriously, what's going on over there?

Every single post got poo poo on so they've decided to just shut the gently caress up and get on with it. I kinda get it tbh.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

dogstile posted:

Every single post got poo poo on so they've decided to just shut the gently caress up and get on with it. I kinda get it tbh.

Well, they only have themselves to blame for this disaster. I just want my money back but I’ve played too much, hoping the game is in a good state in a year I guess.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They need to pull a No Mans Sky, shut up and get to work. Come back when you have something to show that the players are waiting for. It's not like players will abandon CS and move on to another city-building franchise, because there's none. The biggest competition they have is their own game. The moment the game is at least on par with CS1 quality wise people will come back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The evil and tone-deaf thing to do is push out a CS1 patch that breaks all the mods again, since most of the modders are long gone now. The corporate executive mind may actually consider this as a way to "encourage" CS1 players to play CS2 instead--it's the only competitor after all!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

The evil and tone-deaf thing to do is push out a CS1 patch that breaks all the mods again, since most of the modders are long gone now. The corporate executive mind may actually consider this as a way to "encourage" CS1 players to play CS2 instead--it's the only competitor after all!

did you get your mba from hell itself?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

lagidnam posted:

They need to pull a No Mans Sky, shut up and get to work. Come back when you have something to show that the players are waiting for. It's not like players will abandon CS and move on to another city-building franchise, because there's none. The biggest competition they have is their own game. The moment the game is at least on par with CS1 quality wise people will come back.

Err yeah about that.

Theres no way they can get the console version released while all the bad blood is out there and the pc players are just giving up because they're not fixing the actual game, nor giving the city painters any tools to paint.

There wont be a player base for the dlcs at this rate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

piratepilates posted:

did you get your mba from hell itself?

That's where all MBAs come from, the colleges are just middlemen

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

Err yeah about that.

Theres no way they can get the console version released while all the bad blood is out there and the pc players are just giving up because they're not fixing the actual game, nor giving the city painters any tools to paint.

There wont be a player base for the dlcs at this rate.

Love the little bumps after (presumably) each patch that immediately disappear again when people realize it's all still fundamentally broken

E: or are those just the weekends?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox has sent them to the crunch-mines to get it acceptable for a console release over patching.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Martian posted:

Love the little bumps after (presumably) each patch that immediately disappear again when people realize it's all still fundamentally broken

Yeah thats the weekends. The trend is the worrying thing, and that its averaged about 1-2k less players than Skylines 1 since December.

Interestingly the numbers dropped after last mondays Word of the Week.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Croccers posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox has sent them to the crunch-mines to get it acceptable for a console release over patching.
I got the impression that Colossal Order were not great developers but they lucked and stumbled into ridiculous success with their ok/moderately good CS1. Now the pressure is on to do the same amazing success and it becomes painfully obvious that CO can't deliver that, and Paradox has investors they must pleasure. :(

Didn't anyone high up at Paradox look into things and instead everyone just assumed guaranteed success?

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 29, 2024

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Martian posted:

there weren't even that many patches :lol:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sure does seem like a good time to reinstall SC4.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I mean how hard would it be for a competent studio to do a remake of SC4 with modern codebase, mod support and larger maps? It's basically drawing a bunch of sprites on screen and running the city sim behind the scenes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sim City 4 with cities that integrate more seamlessly to regions and SC3K's aesthetic instead of Sims would be great at this point lol

I still want some sort of way for cities to grow naturally (or gently caress up) from what you do without input though, and a way to make simshitties or SimCleveland instead of shining utopias as the typical end goal

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Poil posted:

I got the impression that Colossal Order were not great developers but they lucked and stumbled into ridiculous success with their ok/moderately good CS1. Now the pressure is on to do the same amazing success and it becomes painfully obvious that CO can't deliver that, and Paradox has investors they must pleasure. :(

Didn't anyone high up at Paradox look into things and instead everyone just assumed guaranteed success?
It's also a less desperate environment - there's a lot more games in the city builder space now(although the zone painting city builder is still pretty much just Simcity and Skylines' turf), on top of CS1 obviously already existing and having several years of patches(and mods), so people will be a lot less inclined to look past rough edges as much as they did with 1.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm totally willing to overlook rough edges. What I wanted from CS2 was CS1 with fixes to the systemic stuff that was too foundational for the old game to fix.

I didn't get rough edges, I got a bed of broken glass. 4 fps on an RX6700 XT and 5800X3D with the GPU running at 100% and screaming its fans, something literally no other game does. And the simulation didn't even work!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Antigravitas posted:

I didn't get rough edges, I got a bed of broken glass. 4 fps on an RX6700 XT and 5800X3D with the GPU running at 100% and screaming its fans, something literally no other game does. And the simulation didn't even work!

You might want to check to make sure your computer's working right my man. You're getting less than 10% of the performance I get on a 3060ti and regular 5800X.

Unless it just doesn't work on an AMD GPU I guess, I don't know if that's an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

I mean how hard would it be for a competent studio to do a remake of SC4 with modern codebase, mod support and larger maps? It's basically drawing a bunch of sprites on screen and running the city sim behind the scenes.

Ok here's what you do

Design a basic sprite-drawing game on a grid, looks like sc4. Include a few basic things like a couple houses, commercial buildings, roads, a tree. Select your sprite from a list, plop that poo poo down. That's it.

Release as early access, charge very little.

Gradually build it out from there. When I say gradually I mean only implement one be system at a time and make sure it works. Don't release buggy poo poo. One update might have simple RCI. Another construction animations. Another power. Always adding more sprites as well.

As you go, changing or even removing systems is allowed. That lovely water system is just too pure for this world, axe it and replace it with something that makes the game fun.

There's a game called Starsector that's built like this. One developer and an artist. They've been working on it for like 10 years. It was a great game years ago and it only gets better with each update.