Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Arivia posted:

At least it’s not the book puzzle in Silent Hill 3. On easier puzzle difficulties it just needs you to shelve the books in the right order to read a code off them. On the hardest difficulty it requires a thorough knowledge of the works of Shakespeare.

And even then, the solution most end up with is incorrect. Or, it would be, except by happenstance it actually works because the incorrect solution and the correct solution happen to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

At least it’s not the book puzzle in Silent Hill 3. On easier puzzle difficulties it just needs you to shelve the books in the right order to read a code off them. On the hardest difficulty it requires a thorough knowledge of the works of Shakespeare.

The button puzzle that requires you to not only deduce where the features of a face would be if overlaid on a 9-button keypad, but also requires you to realize that some of the clues are being told from different perspectives so it's actually the opposite side of what's been said.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
None of them are bad as that stupid rear end type in rumpelstiltskin name using a backwards alphabet puzzle, in kings quest.

What the hell sierra!

(also they used some weird spelling of rumpelstiltskin that no one uses.)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The SH1 piano puzzle is the worst actually: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Piano_Puzzle

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

The SH1 piano puzzle is the worst actually: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Piano_Puzzle

This didnt link to a post on the SH circumschism and that is dragging me down

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

piano wire is what the mohel uses, duh

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Evil West is a refreshingly unashamed Video Game and generally a good time. You have two "level-up" methods - perk points that you get from experience and gadget upgrades you get by spending money. But every time you get a perk point you also get a huge influx of cash, and the upgrades are so expensive that even with scouring the environment for every dime you can find you can never afford them without it. Makes me wonder why they even bothered to split it up like that. Just give me a Punch Perk and a Gun's Perk every time I level up and grant me experience for finding stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not so much for a game but for a console, the Steamdeck is a fantastic system for its price and great that it includes a travel bag, but it really bugs me that the case is molded to the console with the charge port facing the seam rather than the zipper. I don't have a convenient way to charge it while leaving it in the case when I'm at work.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

dr_rat posted:

None of them are bad as that stupid rear end type in rumpelstiltskin name using a backwards alphabet puzzle, in kings quest.

What the hell sierra!

(also they used some weird spelling of rumpelstiltskin that no one uses.)

There's at least 3 different versions of that puzzle depending on the release you're playing, and it was all just to sell puzzle solution books (they sold more walkthroughs for Leisure Suit Larry than they did games and that changed how they made games)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ookiimarukochan posted:

they sold more walkthroughs for Leisure Suit Larry than they did games and that changed how they made games

...were people buying spares?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

mycot posted:

...were people buying spares?

Pirating the game and then buying the walk-through.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

Even worse if any of your party goes invisible and an enemy can't figure out what to do so it spends its turn doing the John Travolta meme.

This reminds me of a bug from the original KOTOR game. At about the mid-point of the game your team is captured and put in jail. Just before you get thrown in you pick one of your crew to use their special powers to rescue everyone else. So the droid goes into sleep mode and will wake up after X amount of time, or the old Jedi will use mind tricks. Or you can go with onw of the two women who can make themselves invisible. OK, that sounds good on paper. But apparently when you sneak back and try and talk with the rest of your crew you're trying to rescue, if you are still invisible, you don't register, even to friendlies. So, you are stuck in a frozen conversation prompt where your character can't be seen by allies, and you can't interact with anyone to actually unlock the cage. Because there's something about this being built on a D20 system, there was a rumor that apparently every few seconds it rolls an imaginary die to try and see the invisible character. If one character happens to roll an in game nat 20, then the scene will unfreeze (in theory), and you can continue. But I think that explanation is BS, because I don't think the game is doing checks every few seconds. I think it's happening before the cutscene triggers, and that's it.

From the Wiki:

quote:

If you manage to have a high enough awareness to spot Mission though, the game will continue as normal, although this isn't often because it uses your main characters awareness, and most people do not level up awareness for their main character but tend to level up a high stealth for Mission.

So if you min/max your stealth character, and you forget to turn off stealth before trying to trigger a cutscene, you might soft lock your progress, because your sneaky character is so sneaky, your main PC can't see them, and thinks they are being rescued by a ghost, and are so scared that they can't talk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Randalor posted:

Not so much for a game but for a console, the Steamdeck is a fantastic system for its price and great that it includes a travel bag, but it really bugs me that the case is molded to the console with the charge port facing the seam rather than the zipper. I don't have a convenient way to charge it while leaving it in the case when I'm at work.

Isn’t this because it gets crazy hot when it’s charging and leaving it in a padded bag would overheat it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

This reminds me of a bug from the original KOTOR game. At about the mid-point of the game your team is captured and put in jail. Just before you get thrown in you pick one of your crew to use their special powers to rescue everyone else. So the droid goes into sleep mode and will wake up after X amount of time, or the old Jedi will use mind tricks. Or you can go with onw of the two women who can make themselves invisible. OK, that sounds good on paper. But apparently when you sneak back and try and talk with the rest of your crew you're trying to rescue, if you are still invisible, you don't register, even to friendlies. So, you are stuck in a frozen conversation prompt where your character can't be seen by allies, and you can't interact with anyone to actually unlock the cage. Because there's something about this being built on a D20 system, there was a rumor that apparently every few seconds it rolls an imaginary die to try and see the invisible character. If one character happens to roll an in game nat 20, then the scene will unfreeze (in theory), and you can continue. But I think that explanation is BS, because I don't think the game is doing checks every few seconds. I think it's happening before the cutscene triggers, and that's it.

From the Wiki:

So if you min/max your stealth character, and you forget to turn off stealth before trying to trigger a cutscene, you might soft lock your progress, because your sneaky character is so sneaky, your main PC can't see them, and thinks they are being rescued by a ghost, and are so scared that they can't talk.

I'm listening to the podcast A More Civilized Age's playthrough of KOTOR, which reminded me of what the mandalorian warrior Canderous does if you pick him: set his regeneration implants on a delay timer, then blow himself up so he seems dead, so the Sith take him to the med bay, and then he'll revive himself and bust out. It's metal as hell, just the image of the Sith doctors (morticians?) going about their business when suddenly this guy sits up like the loving Undertaker and just starts going to town.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tender Bender posted:

I'm listening to the podcast A More Civilized Age's playthrough of KOTOR, which reminded me of what the mandalorian warrior Canderous does if you pick him: set his regeneration implants on a delay timer, then blow himself up so he seems dead, so the Sith take him to the med bay, and then he'll revive himself and bust out. It's metal as hell, just the image of the Sith doctors (morticians?) going about their business when suddenly this guy sits up like the loving Undertaker and just starts going to town.

It’s an option that’s so loving rad I don’t know why anyone has ever encountered the stealth glitch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tender Bender posted:

Man, this just made me think of how rad the Crusader: No Regret/Remorse games were.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vic posted:

Please verify that you are not a bot

Select all images without
foreskins

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lobok posted:

Man, this just made me think of how rad the Crusader: No Regret/Remorse games were.

Those games were so advanced for my PC at the time that each loading screen took a good 15 minutes to get through. Thankfully each level only had one loading screen. Still played it though, was rad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

But they forget the site's image filter so it's just a total guess of censored pics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s an option that’s so loving rad I don’t know why anyone has ever encountered the stealth glitch.

I usually pick the Jedi dude who just mind tricks the guards into letting him out, then into locking themselves in the cell instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's never happened before and I don't know why LAD: Infinite Wealth would have it, but it sucks that your characters don't show the items they have equipped.

What's the point of having like three different mascot shirts to purchase if I can't have my crew wearing different ones??

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It sounds completely insane, which I think is why I didn't pick it, but if you know that none of them can fail then yeah 100%

Tender Bender has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Jan 29, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey, I have a robot specifically built to murder everyone and everything, and I'm going to let him enjoy himself without supervision, drat it!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vic posted:

That was one of the ones I always just looked up a walkthrough for.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fire Emblem: I think the game should just split XP evenly among the units you bring into a battle, instead of giving it to the unit that got each kill. I get that it's supposed to be a balance thing, if you just rely a handful of good units they'll soak up all the XP and snowball, but they'll leave you with a lopsided squad: but I just don't like it because it feels like I'm constantly micromanaging last hits for everyone on every map. I think the game should split the XP automatically which would keep the big units from pulling ahead, and allow you to let characters shine in big spots without worrying about whether you're wasting XP on them. Just my personal preference.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fire Emblem seriously seems like a series with a lot of cool ideas that totally shoot themselves in the foot due to a bunch of weird decisions that make the best way to play both counterintuitive and not very fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Any time you work the system to get a final-hit in Fire Emblem you're meant to feel like you're gaming the system when you're just playing the system and in fact you're being played by the system

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What we game designer decided that (in the old ones at least) level ups should have random stats so you save scum the final hits is a loving idiot monster who should have never, ever made a game. I hate them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The solution to that is to roll a seed number well before the final hit, such as when you start the level or maybe even when you press New Game

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this! posted:

That was one of the ones I always just looked up a walkthrough for.

I drove myself nuts with this puzzle because I was convinced the blood stains were the clue. I don't recall ever looking it up and somehow must have managed to get lucky with it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ZeusCannon posted:

they said "piano" not "pee? ah, no!"

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Ms Adequate posted:

The solution to that is to roll a seed number well before the final hit, such as when you start the level or maybe even when you press New Game

That just leads to the Xcom issue, where when you miss a critical shot you reload, have another person act first, and then take the shot. Repeat until hit is achieved.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My partner told me "not to hold back" when I fought them in Tekken 8 so I didn't and now they're super duper mad at me for demolishing them eight matches in a row.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

My partner told me "not to hold back" when I fought them in Tekken 8 so I didn't and now they're super duper mad at me for demolishing them eight matches in a row.

Lmao same with me and an ex, but the venue was Hydro Thunder.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Stop picking the Titanic! Of course you win if you have that! Its back funnel folds down to become a booster its unfair!

hydro thunder is so fun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Fire Emblem: I think the game should just split XP evenly among the units you bring into a battle, instead of giving it to the unit that got each kill. I get that it's supposed to be a balance thing, if you just rely a handful of good units they'll soak up all the XP and snowball, but they'll leave you with a lopsided squad: but I just don't like it because it feels like I'm constantly micromanaging last hits for everyone on every map. I think the game should split the XP automatically which would keep the big units from pulling ahead, and allow you to let characters shine in big spots without worrying about whether you're wasting XP on them. Just my personal preference.

How far we've come from complaining about Exp. Share being party wide in Pokèmon to now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let it Die also has problems with that. You only level up your weapon mastery by getting a kill, but several weapons do poison or fire damage. So if the enemy dies from that with their last gasp after you love tap them, it won't count. This also SOMETIMES applies to quests with weapon restrictions but not other times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Saga of the Moon Priestess, a GBC Zelda clone, has what turns out to be a really frustrating savepoint system in the dungeons. The dungeon state is saved when you die and respawn back in the opening room, which seems great at first because you don't have to redo puzzles or enemies.

But then you die in a boss fight, and all those health and ammo pickups you got along the way last time? Gone. Step outside to reset them? Now the dungeon's reset too, have fun looping around the whole thing again because that quick shortcut to the boss room you unlocked closed back up too.

It's a really frustrating design decision that's making me pause to consider whether I want to continue.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing Aliens Colonial Marines for hoots and hollers and yes yes it's broken and stupid and nothing works and all that poo poo. You know what my biggest issue with this is? Same issue as every other Alien game (with the exception of Isolation). I dunno why every dev is so adamant on replicating the feel of being a marine fighting the xenomorphs when they very explicitly get their asses kicked in the original film. The action sequences of the movie always involve standing ground against overwhelming odds, or retreating, surviving just by the skin of their teeth.

What they should be trying to emulate is the sequence where Ripley goes down into the bowels of the factory/plant to retrieve Newt, lying down flares to mark her way, blasting xenos when they get to close. I don't want to be a marine, I wanna be an action survivor too full of willpower to die. A proper Aliens game would play more like Dead Space or something like that, not a fucken FPS power fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I liked the original Aliens vs Predator game, possibly because I was a child then and easier to scare. The xenonorphs were fast and dangerous so you needed to be on high alert all the time, but your pulse rifle would tear them apart if you could track a burst on them for even half a second so they needed to surprise you to get you. Got very atmospheric.
AvP2 made the aliens slower and more durable and I did not like it.