Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 25, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Well now that just brings up a load of questions about the timeline and whether they made any adjustments for republishing. I suppose these are from the mid-90s originally, and Mr. Bergner looks at least 50, so he'd have fled in about the late 50s, which works out, and if we read him as about 60 it even still works out for today and escaping around the late 70s.

although why he seems to have specifically travelled from the country to Berlin to jump the wall and then be stuck in West Berlin surrounded by East Germany on all sides is anyone's guess

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
No editing for this go-around!

in getting this, i saw Lynn's website just updated with a new project she'd been working on, children's books about robots that initially scared me that they were AI things:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

I know that Hagar the Horrible is "it's actually just 20th century american poo poo but in viking outfits" the comic, but it's still loving wild that they're just depicting vikings happily sitting in a loving church.

And of course despite everyone else wearing a weird mixture of clothing from seemingly 5000 bc to about 6000 CE, the usher is wearing a tuxedo top.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

riderchop posted:

in getting this, i saw Lynn's website just updated with a new project she'd been working on, children's books about robots that initially scared me that they were AI things:

This seems... fine, actually? Not amazing or anything, but if Lynn has a creative outlet that isn't just revisionist personal history, that's a good step.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Look out, Holbrook, you've got a challenger.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's fascinating to compare how Wallace and Crabgrass are both doing these extended storylines. Crabgrass has done a few but they all feel a little long in the tooth. But Wallace manages to make the pacing feel brisk and concise by knowing which parts need some focus and which parts to skip over.

Also, Wallace's imaginary friend being this green dog-lion decked up to represent his Scottish heritage is adorable. He's not even mad Wallace had to let go of him when he became older, he's just proud and supportive that Wallace is growing up a good kid.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

amigolupus posted:

It's fascinating to compare how Wallace and Crabgrass are both doing these extended storylines. Crabgrass has done a few but they all feel a little long in the tooth. But Wallace manages to make the pacing feel brisk and concise by knowing which parts need some focus and which parts to skip over.

Also, Wallace's imaginary friend being this green dog-lion decked up to represent his Scottish heritage is adorable. He's not even mad Wallace had to let go of him when he became older, he's just proud and supportive that Wallace is growing up a good kid.

Much like Spud's imaginary friend feels like an outcome of his neuroses, Wallace's has that confidence that drives him to be a great friend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It helps that Wallace is presenting the whole thing ambiguously enough that it can still be read as Wallace and Spud just goofing around, where Crabgrass would definitely make sure we know that the secret world of imaginary friends is absolutely a real tangible element of the setting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure adults have been shown interacting with/responding to the sandwiches Spud receives from Gary, but that might just be the power of Spud's psychic field/strong prop game.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

I'm curious to see where this goes. Thanks for translating it!

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

His sister saved one of the chickens :3:

I wouldn't have expected Shaun to be so particular about his roles.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 25, 1961)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

The producers would like to thank Garfield for supplying today's "splut"

FoxTrot Classix

I'm sure this "reality" thing is just a fad!

Rose is Rose

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Soapi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/28/04

Brenda Starr 7/13/52

Smokey Stover 6/21/59

Everyday Movies 3/11/37

"I don't bother with the men around here. They're all married, and besides they don't earn enough."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/10/43

Closer Than We Think! 6/21/59

New York does have parking lift structures, but not up to skyscraper height:

However, they already had this sort of thing back in the 1930s.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Prince Valiant needs a map, because going to Baghdad from Jerusalem through Damascus abd Aleppo was sure a choice, even in the Middle Ages.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

The Gas Giants are back?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Giants_(band)

My Lovely Horse posted:

It helps that Wallace is presenting the whole thing ambiguously enough that it can still be read as Wallace and Spud just goofing around, where Crabgrass would definitely make sure we know that the secret world of imaginary friends is absolutely a real tangible element of the setting.

I actually like the magical realist tendencies of Crabgrass. My only complaint about the strip is that it feels derivative of Calvin & Hobbes sometimes, and making kids' fantasies more concrete helps set it apart.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

Is there a reason these were translated to an eye dialect?

Edit:just seems kind of heavy handed

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 29, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

However, they already had this sort of thing back in the 1930s.

How the hell do they get cars out of the outermost slots when the entire row is filled?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How the hell do they get cars out of the outermost slots when the entire row is filled?

those spots are for the flying cars

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

JethroMcB posted:

Rose is Rose

Panel 1 looks like he's ready to punch the cat. Panel 3 the angle reminds me of a JoJo panel.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Pluggers are suspicious of modern medicine. That tracks.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a suppository

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Take all three out, putting the two you don't want back in somewhere else? Moving the cars is presumably mechanical rather than "someone gets in and drives them" so it wouldn't be that much slower than the elevators themselves.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My guess: there's enough space between rows to pull cars in and out.

Reading up on it further and it gets more interesting: apparently the electric parker pointed out on the plan was a little rubber-tired sled that would slide under a car, grab its rear axle, and tow it to the parking spot instead of having to have an attendant drive the car into place. So the whole building was operated by a staff of six.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(12/13/1993)

(12/14/1993)

Ziggy

(8/16/1971)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

My guess: there's enough space between rows to pull cars in and out.

Reading up on it further and it gets more interesting: apparently the electric parker pointed out on the plan was a little rubber-tired sled that would slide under a car, grab its rear axle, and tow it to the parking spot instead of having to have an attendant drive the car into place. So the whole building was operated by a staff of six.

Yeah, it's incredibly impressive especially when you consider they did it with 1930s technology.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I have questions.

Flash Gordon

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I love how Flash Gordon's key premise is "hey actually you can't just kill the emperor that was there a long-rear end and establish a new regime and expect everything to be hunky-dory in the meantime"

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Okay look I swear this strip used to be about adventures, they were totally on an adventure when I started posting!

Curtis

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

butt nuttin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I found my current desk chair sitting next to someone's outgoing garbage while I out taking a walk. It was brand new such the tags were still on it, so I wheeled it home, only to sit on it and see it didn't recline properly. I turned it over and the base with an arrow reading "FRONT" was pointing to the back. A few minutes with an Allen wrench later, I had a brand new chair that worked perfectly. So, thank you person who can't read.

THORN, July 19-29, 1983

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

The producers would like to thank Garfield for supplying today's "splut"

This is (sadly) a mood.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Antivehicular posted:

This seems... fine, actually? Not amazing or anything, but if Lynn has a creative outlet that isn't just revisionist personal history, that's a good step.

Yeah I don’t mind this. Looks innocent enough. Nothing groundbreaking but hey.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wild guess: the Inquisitor killed Ming II to frame Flash as revenge for killing the emperor (with the bonus of removing an embarrassing scion).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Back to new strips today.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mercury Hat posted:

this has been the running joke between me and my friend whenever the sea hag's shown up this storyline

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huxley posted:

A+J

Back to new strips today.
We were in Miami last October and my wife was real upset to learn A1A isn't beachfront for the full length (particularly where we were staying) and exclaimed "VANILLA ICE LIED TO ME!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

I have questions.

Two ounces of water? Put that candle under the flask and it'll be gone before 30 mins are up.