Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

D-LINK posted:

1. Blitz the everliving hell out of Lamar
2. Win every time

Worked great for the Texans...for a half.

More like

1. Be a playoff game
2. Wait for Lamar+coaches to melt down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

poo poo, I thought that throwing off your back foot constantly was considered bad. I'd always understood you want a solid base or your accuracy turns to poo poo. Maybe I misunderstood.

That specific quirk is something both Favre and Rodgers did -- the Packers specifically coach it into their throwers. It helps them avoid lower-body injuries from having their planted foot caught under them when they're hit as they throw.

Check this article out, good writeup on Love and many other QBs not following the strict fundamentals and throwing these hopping fadeaway throws: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/12/24035145/jordan-love-trick-shot-throws-lamar-jackson-patrick-mahomes-packers

quote:

“It’s not exactly the guru type of throwing that we’ve seen from some of these guys who’ve been teaching quarterbacks over the years,” Rodgers said in 2017. “But there’s a few of us in the league who are pretty efficient at it. It involves harnessing your power and offsetting your arm as much as possible.”

Rosen’s style in 2018 was more like “the guru type of throwing” Rodgers was referring to. He didn’t throw off his back foot. He had an over-the-top delivery. And he followed the rules of quarterbacking every time. Rodgers, in his chat with Rosen, described how the changes to his own style of play helped him find success in the NFL—and inadvertently explained why Rosen would go on to fail.

“If I can’t throw the ball in a perfect environment on the money all the time, then I can’t play,” Rodgers said. “Everybody can do that. A lot of my throws, I’m running full speed to evade a 4.6 pass rusher, and at the last second I flip, and I throw it.

“That’s real football.”

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I didn't get a sense from this site or the media that the Lions were overachieving in the postseason. Preseason, sure, but once we hit mid season it was clear the Lions were legit. You can't win 12 games, be surrounded by hype, and have your top coaching assistants being interviewed for HC jobs, and still be "flying under the radar." Definitely on the radar, man.

They lost to the Bears, a team that only slayed bums all year other than Detroit. No one expects a team to win the SB their first year in the playoffs after a decade, unless Tom Brady just signed with you.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

shirts and skins posted:

So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

Maybe 2013 Red Wings Blackhawks series? They blew a 3-1 lead, Hawks won the cup, and the Red Wings haven't won a playoff series since

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kawalimus posted:

Worked great for the Texans...for a half.

More like

1. Be a playoff game
2. Wait for Lamar+coaches to melt down

Sorry bird bruv, just my observation. No one has to wait for the playoffs to blitz Lamar incessantly while keeping contain.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

SKULL.GIF posted:

That specific quirk is something both Favre and Rodgers did -- the Packers specifically coach it into their throwers. It helps them avoid lower-body injuries from having their planted foot caught under them when they're hit as they throw.

Check this article out, good writeup on Love and many other QBs not following the strict fundamentals and throwing these hopping fadeaway throws: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/12/24035145/jordan-love-trick-shot-throws-lamar-jackson-patrick-mahomes-packers

This is the "new" fundamentals. QB gurus all teach this poo poo now, nobody is teaching the old big step, high arm garbage. It is using rotation in a small area to get the ball out quick at multiple arm angles. The game has changed, fundamentals changed with them.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

Sorry bird bruv, just my observation. No one has to wait for the playoffs to blitz Lamar incessantly while keeping contain.

You can't really easily do both of those can you? And even if you do it's the job of the coaching staff+Lamar to be ready for that and have answers. If they are blitzing hard plus containing shouldn't it not really be that hard to counter it? The QB School vid last week criticized a bunch of the Ravens playcalls+Lamar against the Texans for not having answers to the heavy blitzes. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last week because blitzing heavy wasn't what the Texans were doing all year so maybe not prepared for it. It sounds like the Ravens desperately need better play design and coaching in these situations to help Lamar out of jams. We got rid of Roman and Monken is better to a degree but the play design is still lacking a lot of the time. Somebody's got to be helping him deal with this poo poo and he's obviously talented enough to do it.

I'd love to see what Lamar's career had been like if he ended up with the Chiefs and Reid. I kind of think he'd have way more success in these high pressure games against good teams.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

sucks that the Ravens lost, but was a good season and perhaps its premature to write off Lamar completely (despite what one prominent poster is claiming)

It’s also weird to constantly talk about “us” when all you do is poo poo on a team that finished in the top 4.

Excited for next year and Lamar should be fired up. Hopefully he’s cleared some of the playoff jitters. Just too many miscues and missed chances. :(

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Upgrade posted:

sucks that the Ravens lost, but was a good season and perhaps its premature to write off Lamar completely (despite what one prominent poster is claiming)

It’s also weird to constantly talk about “us” when all you do is poo poo on a team that finished in the top 4.

Excited for next year and Lamar should be fired up. Hopefully he’s cleared some of the playoff jitters. Just too many miscues and missed chances. :(

I'm not writing Lamar off. I think it's very possible he has at least one great postseason run in him but after this I think we've crossed the threshold from a SB appearance/win from Lamar being likely to not likely withthe AFC probably being much stronger in future years. But as it's been pointed out Joe Flacco had that run without one of his top teams so maybe Lamar can also. He's got the talent to do it but I mainly don't trust Harbaugh at all. The problem is most guys out there are going to be as bad or worse than Harbaugh.

With his tendency to play panicked in these high pressure games I just don't see us getting over these hurdles against other top teams unless we get someone in here who truly has great working chemistry with him and knows how to keep him lucid in these close games high stakes situations.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 29, 2024

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kawalimus posted:

You can't really easily do both of those can you? And even if you do it's the job of the coaching staff+Lamar to be ready for that and have answers. If they are blitzing hard plus containing shouldn't it not really be that hard to counter it? The QB School vid last week criticized a bunch of the Ravens playcalls+Lamar against the Texans for not having answers to the heavy blitzes. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last week because blitzing heavy wasn't what the Texans were doing all year so maybe not prepared for it. It sounds like the Ravens desperately need better play design and coaching in these situations to help Lamar out of jams. We got rid of Roman and Monken is better to a degree but the play design is still lacking a lot of the time. Somebody's got to be helping him deal with this poo poo and he's obviously talented enough to do it.

I'd love to see what Lamar's career had been like if he ended up with the Chiefs and Reid. I kind of think he'd have way more success in these high pressure games against good teams.

You can blame coaching all you want. Lamar gets turnover prone when harassed. He is kinda easy to rattle

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Kawalimus posted:

I'm not writing Lamar off. I think it's very possible he has at least one great postseason run in him but after this I think we've crossed the threshold from a SB appearance/win from Lamar being likely to not likely with this game and the AFC probably being much stronger in future years. But as it's been pointed out Joe Flacco had that run without one of his top teams so maybe Lamar can also. He's got the talent to do it but I mainly don't trust Harbaugh at all. The problem is most guys out there are going to be as bad or worse than Harbaugh.

he made it to the afc championship game. He’s 27. He’s about to win his second MVP. one QB wins a Super Bowl a year. One.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Upgrade posted:

Firmly agree with all of this.

It's some embarrassing poo poo to be a big boo hoo cry baby when your team makes it that far. poo poo happens.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I hope the Niners continue to humiliate CGJ in the playoffs every year

https://youtu.be/e4jEp9okCqs?si=DJ4U8_KcebcgCnoo
https://youtu.be/29-P6-tPAew?si=0GYBxiwD5YoFcXDp

It's like poetry

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

D-LINK posted:

You can blame coaching all you want. Lamar gets turnover prone when harassed. He is kinda easy to rattle

Oh believe me I am not denying that whatsoever but in games where less is on the line he is often able to get through a rough period. It's absolutely the job of the coaches to know where he's weak and help him get around this poo poo. Just because I'm blaming the coaches doesn't mean I'm blaming them 100%

He's sometimes bad when harassed but then in another game will have guys running around with their tongues hanging out and elude three rushers and throw TDs en route to a blowout against a good team. But when the stakes are high he just loses all awareness like in this game where he probably could have had another 100 yard+ rushing effort but just didn't take what was there. He needs to calm his rear end down and not play like every drive is the last drive of the game down two scores where we must get a score immediately.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Upgrade posted:

he made it to the afc championship game. He’s 27. He’s about to win his second MVP. one QB wins a Super Bowl a year. One.

Yes. And he's been lucky enough to have two historically good teams around him and melted down in the playoffs each time. It was already extremely fortunate that he had a team about as good as 2019 again to give him another chance and he blew it again.

We just have to accept this is probably what he is. But I'll be rooting hard for him to overcome it next year and in the future. The dude is a great talent who has some nerves issues in these high stakes games he's gotta get past. But I don't think we have the coaches that can get him past that and don't see him ever getting to the level of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow in the AFC.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Negative three turnover ratio, bad ref luck, a lovely game by Lamar, a badly out coached offensive coordinator, and it was still a one score game.

Lamar is good and the Ravens will always be contenders if he's healthy. Anyone arguing otherwise doesn't know ball, enjoys hot takes too much, or is expressing their racism in a socially safe way. Usually a mix of all three.

Team probably won't be as good next year, but there's a ton of upside available. Maybe we can play our two great TEs together, maybe Lamar improves his deep ball, maybe Flowers takes another step, maybe the defense only sees minor regression, maybe we get a full healthy year out of the RB corp, and on and on.

This is a fun team that wins 75% of the time. They'll never be a dynasty with Lamar's inconsistency, but they'll always be competitive as long as he's healthy. Pretty happy being a Ravens fan right now.

I will miss Gus Bus though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah Flowers is good and he's gonna be better next year. I think he's gonna really dwell on where he made mistakes and come back ready to ball out.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Lamar seems to have that mindset too. I just can't get too down on this team because the highs are so high. Hell, in this game where the offense gave the game away, Lamar had two career highlight plays. Two! The dude is just fun.

I might feel differently if the Ravens hadn't already won 2 Superbowls in the past 20 years. But they have. Fun and in the mix every year is a good way to be in the NFL.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah I'd love to see them win another soon but like, being a fan for 20-ish years and seeing the team get two rings has been great and I just don't feel right complaining about anything when you got teams that still don't have the one.

Dynasties have broken people's brains and this is a hard as gently caress sport.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lamar seems to have that mindset too. I just can't get too down on this team because the highs are so high. Hell, in this game where the offense gave the game away, Lamar had two career highlight plays. Two! The dude is just fun.

I might feel differently if the Ravens hadn't already won 2 Superbowls in the past 20 years. But they have. Fun and in the mix every year is a good way to be in the NFL.

Yeah, I’m a Bears and Cardinals fan, and the Carson Palmer-led Cardinals years were some of the most fun I’ve had watching football in recent memory, since he had no probably gunslinging it and the team was just fun. The Bears are, well, just the Bears.

So if either could just consistently be in the mix year-after-year, 1 Super Bowl, 0 Super Bowls, I don’t care, as long as they’re at least having a shot.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Papercut posted:

I hope the Niners continue to humiliate CGJ in the playoffs every year

https://youtu.be/e4jEp9okCqs?si=DJ4U8_KcebcgCnoo
https://youtu.be/29-P6-tPAew?si=0GYBxiwD5YoFcXDp

It's like poetry

Get this bum off my team imo

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

D-LINK posted:

1. Blitz the everliving hell out of Lamar
2. Win every time

lamar had the highest passer rating in the league this year while being blitzed fyi, and every team blitzed him a lot. he just played very badly in this game because he is some sort of weird choke machine loser, but i still love him

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The first Steelers game this year is super interesting because it's the only time I can remember where we saw steamroll blowout Lamar and high stakes meltdown Lamar in the same game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lamar was way better against the blitz this year, but in this game either him or the offense staff or both clearly are looking to beat the secondary deep when they had six guys rushing and all the receivers not named Zay were almost never open. Bateman was completely invisible all game and OBJ looked slow and old. Andrews had 15 yards. Feels like their skill players just got beat all game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Lamar was way better against the blitz this year, but in this game either him or the offense staff or both clearly are looking to beat the secondary deep when they had six guys rushing and all the receivers not named Zay were almost never open. Bateman was completely invisible all game and OBJ looked slow and old. Andrews had 15 yards. Feels like their skill players just got beat all game.

Predictable when the Chiefs are very strong against the pass and our WRs are so-so at best. And the Ravens are the top rushing team in the league. So the answer here should be obvious. Yet...

That's why I have to say about half the blame goes to the coaching staff. Our most successful drive of the day we ran Lamar on risky 4th and 1 for a huge gain, then ran Gus for another 10 yard gain, then bam hit them over the top with a TD. Buffalo carved them up on the ground for a lot of that game too last week and dominated time of possession almost like the Chiefs did yesterday. That the Ravens wouldn't try to follow that blueprint speaks to Harbaugh's disconnect to the actual game.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 29, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I hope the Chiefs bring the Niners into paste for beating the Lions and making me more upset than any football game since 2016

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i am giving uncritical support to lamar chokeson. long may he reign

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

D-LINK posted:

the crazy thing is that after the first few drives the Chiefs gave up heavy contain because it was obvious Lamar wasn't gonna run. he was too focused on waiting for hopeless intermediate/deep routes to develop to start taking off every other play. the few times he did run he kept trying to break ankles rather than just sprinting for the first down marker at the sideline

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I was rooting for Lions-Chiefs but since that was ruined I'm gonna have to hop on the racist bandwagon (it's okay, I can't be racist, as a horse I dont see color) and also Trent Williams doesn't deserve a ring.

AFC West supremacy

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
My recollection is that only one Lamar run didn't go for a first down and that led to a 2nd or 3rd down. I really do blame the offensive play calling for most of the failure. Having the ball with 2 minutes to go at like 3rd and 5 and not running to set up a possible fourth down was weak. Converting there and getting even a field goal is a huge hinge point in this game. Ton of hinge points actually. If either fumble was recovered by the offense, a couple drops caught, some more runs in good situations, a proper PI flag or two, etc. This mother fucker was basically all hinges, which is a terrible way to build a door. Door to the Superbowl I mean.

Sort of lost my train of thought.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah go chiefs I guess

Really I just want a good game. SB blowouts suck

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Looks like ravens hosed up by paying Lamar.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Gotta pay somebody. It's a lot better than paying Rogers.

Or Hurts.

Or Dak.

Or basically anybody else.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Thankful my team doesn't have a bad QB like Lamar, can't even imagine how much that sucks

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Gotta pay somebody. It's a lot better than paying Rogers.

Or Hurts.

Or Dak.

Or basically anybody else.
He is trolling, dont give him attention.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Well then somebody say something not trolling. I've got 8 hours to kill on flights today.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well then somebody say something not trolling. I've got 8 hours to kill on flights today.
Sorry, I've got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Detroit would have won if they'd attemped the FGs