Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I, for one, can’t wait till Ben Johnson is out of this god-ordained division. Players love him (and he can coach QBs very well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Q_res posted:

Why would they be behind the Packers?

Haven't you heard? They've got themselves another surefire Hall of Famer at quarterback. With a stretch like this, how could you not be?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol the three decimal place age

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

brugroffil posted:

Lol the three decimal place age

That's not decimal notation, that's years and days.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Don't give him the Wentz label yet, he has a family

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shyduck posted:

Don't give him the Wentz label yet, he has a family

He also seems like a well-adjusted and even-keeled person instead of an enormous prick. Granted, Rodgers also seemed stable until later in his career.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1751986381897810088

It's paywalled, but I think Barnwell's correct. The problem the Lions had wasn't the decision to go for it on those 4th downs, it was that they didn't execute the plays well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Imo the problem was the defense allowed points on every drive of the second half.

I'll let them off the hook for one since it was Gibbs fumbling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I still don't really understand what happened to Wentz but I was not really following the league during his rise and fall.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

howe_sam posted:

It's paywalled, but I think Barnwell's correct. The problem the Lions had wasn't the decision to go for it on those 4th downs, it was that they didn't execute the plays well.

Two Drops + One Fumble = No Super Bowl

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The story of the game was the absolutely insane deflected catch at the red zone followed by the Lions fumbling their next possession. They just couldn't get back into the game after that. Dropping easy passes and missing tackles all over.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

I still don't really understand what happened to Wentz but I was not really following the league during his rise and fall.
He was an MVP-caliber player with the Eagles until injuries racked up and he just never got it back. He's also by many accounts an rear end in a top hat and notoriously difficult to work with.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fortunately Jordan's 「 Silly Body 」will protect him against injury.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

His GF is an OP exposing her man like that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wh-what?! An enemy stand?!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im still loving pissed

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah I’m super concerned people’s takes are gonna focus on Campbell going for it on 4th down a bunch, and not how a handful of bad luck happenings destroyed them - the team shouldn’t back off their identity

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
If its my game of Madden I am going to kick the field goal and go up 27-10 because I think possessions and pressure trump the points in that scenario.

after that, the 49ers get the ball back in more standard field position and like what, 22 minutes of game clock to fit in those 3 possessions and 17 points?

But then again it would have been a 45 yard field goal which is right in that area where I'm sure field goal % starts to drop, and that would've been a momentum killer too.

It is an interesting phenomenon with underdogs in NFL games - you can fuckin' floor it and get a big lead only to find you've blown a gasket somewhere.

quote:

There's a wall between you and what you want and you got to leap it
Tonight you got the power to take it, tomorrow you won't have the power to keep it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1751816608526324219

https://twitter.com/JADubin5/status/1751815428660228135

They had a better chance of converting the 4th down lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Badgley making a kick from that range was a significantly lower percentage play than the Lions converting from that down and distance under Campbell/Johnson with a decent sample size on both. Both are also much more likely than an overthrown ball bouncing off a defender’s face into a receiver’s arms for 50 yards.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I don't ever want to watch football again, for two weeks

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

20 Blunts posted:

If its my game of Madden I am going to kick the field goal and go up 27-10 because I think possessions and pressure trump the points in that scenario.

after that, the 49ers get the ball back in more standard field position and like what, 22 minutes of game clock to fit in those 3 possessions and 17 points?

The Lions went for it on the SF 28. A kickoff likely puts 49ers starting at the 25. Going for it didn’t change the field position at all. And a missed FG would have given the 49ers the ball at the 35.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
When all is said and done, the fumble and the disastrous drops I think were more damaging than the decisions - but unfortunately for Campbell he only has control over whether or not to go for it or kick it and can't press a huge button saying "HOLD ONTO THE BALL"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Also feels like missing out on the three points there wouldn't have been a very big deal if they hadn't immediately fumbled the next time they got the ball. You never plan for something like that to happen, and suddenly losing the ability to bleed the clock (or maybe even score) while also handing your opponent an easy 7 points is absolutely killer. You'd have to be up really, really big in order for that to not decide the game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like the Lions were in the exact same situation against the Bears.

Bears kicked a FG to go up 17, and the Lions said, oh they don't want to win this and proceeded to come back

Any decision is bad if you fail to execute

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lotta poo poo went wrong for the lions in that game. I don't think Campbell's decisions, except the run on 3rd down at the goal line at the end of the game costing a timeout, are to blame.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/itszacharyj/status/1752030439684866277

Anyway, sorry Lions fans.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It was really cool of the Bears to let the Lions come back. Really hosed up that the 49ers didn't let them, imo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Oh yeah the run there was dumb as poo poo from both a playcalling and a decision in general.

If you are gonna do that put heavy out there and not 3 WRs lol.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scipiotik posted:

Lotta poo poo went wrong for the lions in that game. I don't think Campbell's decisions, except the run on 3rd down at the goal line at the end of the game costing a timeout, are to blame.

Doing that run with a 3 WR set was too galaxy brained for me. That might actually be what hosed them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MJeff posted:

Doing that run with a 3 WR set was too galaxy brained for me. That might actually be what hosed them.

The most Getsy brained playcall

Let's have Mooney be the point blocker in a screen rear end play design.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Dexo posted:

Oh yeah the run there was dumb as poo poo from both a playcalling and a decision in general.

If you are gonna do that put heavy out there and not 3 WRs lol.

Right, I know we'll never know, but I do wonder how hands on Dan is with the play calling in game, he doesn't seem to be at all, so I wonder if that was a Ben decision or what.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Ben gets hired to be a coach somewhere else, it was a Ben decision. :v:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1752031060295053555?s=20

Cousins is smoking the good kush

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That's probably fair for his production.

Paying him that off an Achilles Injury is scary as poo poo tho lmao

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also if Detroit makes a FG there and they're only down 7 on their final possession, it's much less likely that they score to tie it up and the conversation is "wow Dan Campbell got scared when he needed it most, if they'd gone for it instead they would have won!"

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Last night not long after the game ended I was despondent. I was channeling the typical SOL Lions fan, convinced that this was it for the Lions, that they were cooked and would never sniff a division title or a playoff birth for a few more decades, etc. Mid-season Woodrow would've posted ':jerkbag:' in response if I'd posted the kinds of things I was thinking at that time, that's the level of doom and gloom I was feeling.

Waking up this morning though, I've come to accept it. The outcome still sucks but I believe that these Lions can do good things next year, barring something like horrible injury luck or Ben Johnson's replacement having such a poor grasp of gameplanning that Kirk Ferentz looks like an offensive genius in comparison.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Just came to post this. That seems like a big pile that MIN can't pay. JJ needs his bag, and he's the future of the franchise not Kirk.

So Atlanta? Vegas?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SirPablo posted:

Just came to post this. That seems like a big pile that MIN can't pay. JJ needs his bag, and he's the future of the franchise not Kirk.

So Atlanta? Vegas?

I don't think Atlanta goes that route (although there is some familiarity between Zac Robinson and KOC.) Vegas probably sells the farm and tries to trade up or sticks with AOC for one more season. Too early to tell however because they don't have an OC.

The underrated spot that I think could be in the market for a QB is Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I don't think Atlanta goes that route (although there is some familiarity between Zac Robinson and KOC.) Vegas probably sells the farm and tries to trade up or sticks with AOC for one more season. Too early to tell however because they don't have an OC.

The underrated spot that I think could be in the market for a QB is Miami.

Why would Miami go from Tua to Kirk? That seems like a downgrade or break even at best.