Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

As someone who likes Musou games, Chapter 10 was real fun. I mean, it probably isn't good, but the Musou alike segments were light and quick enough that they did not run out their welcome.

I think this is a "group battle" in the online lounge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

spiritual bypass posted:

How do you find a local tournament?

Unironically this used to be the best use of Facebook but I think they lobotomized their local events feature so, uh, I guess it's all on Discord now. If you live in a well populated area you can always just ask goons and there's a good chance you'll get some leads.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to hear an Evo crowd sing along to the Character Select music.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thread should be called tekken 8 to the streets

We looking like fools rn

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Look up esports lounges and arcades in your area and then start finding their online presence. They’ll probably have a discord that isn’t very populated or active but will share schedules of their weeklies

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

God, King is so sick

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i got into locals over the summer before work crushed my ability to train and go out on a week night in the fall and made me depressed about my fighting game growth potential lol. Anyway all i did was I asked the LAN thread for my city for some leads and links and showed up at the venues and had a sick time and got peoples contact info and subbed to the tournament calendar on start.gg and it was wonderful and welcoming

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Zafina is really drat cool, glad I gave her a try.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/mommilph/status/1751747905197895723?s=20

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

finished opening weekend in mid oranges, won my area's first t8 local, then choked and came in 5th in the second. Game owns big time, looking forward to playing it for the next 10 years or whatever they said they were expecting to get out of it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nice, congrats on doing well at locals. i was gonna go to mine but real life is loving up my tekken time!!!

i’ve played like 98% with jun who seems strong, good, and noob friendly as hell. lots of easy extenders from her many launchers and/or CH moves that crumple (?) the opponent and let you fling them around.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Mr E posted:

I got a 8bitdo SNK pad and I think it might make me a pad player for this game despite enjoying it pretty well on my leverless. Unsurprisingly feels like the perfect 4 button fighting game pad.

I have this pad, I can confirm it feels amazing to play tekken with. it just feels right.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a guide to EWGF, or even just the dash part? I feel like my dashing itself is inconsistent; some days I just "get" the timing and nail it most of the time, other days I feel like I'm doing the same thing but nothing comes out so clearly it's not sticking in my head somehow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PhiDX has a good beginner video that even starts with saying what buttons map to 1234 which not every beginner video does. He doesn't assume you know anything about it, which is nice for fighting game dum-dums like me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The game suddenly switched me to special controls during a match even though I have it completely unbound, which just meant I couldn't turn it off :(

I hope that doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is there a guide to EWGF, or even just the dash part? I feel like my dashing itself is inconsistent; some days I just "get" the timing and nail it most of the time, other days I feel like I'm doing the same thing but nothing comes out so clearly it's not sticking in my head somehow.

If a motion is regularly inconsistent for you that is a sure sign of having internalized it badly due to sloppy practice; probably because you started out doing it too fast. The key to any fine motor skill is to internalize it by doing the motion slowly and deliberately, with full attention (look at your hands while practicing if you need to.) 10 times each side, with at least a 15 minute break in between (to off-set fatigue/mental wandering) each day for a few days (you need sleep to finalize the internalization). Once the motion feels fully natural and comfortable you can begin speeding it up little by little. If you notice a particular piece of the motion giving you problems then isolate that particular piece and practice it separately 10 times before inserting it into the complete motion again. Once the crouchdash itself is smooth and clean, then you can start to worry about the just frame.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It would be cool if practice mode and combo challenges let you slow down the metronome since it's basically the same as practicing music

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m getting absolutely wrecked lol. I play SF (not 6 yet), GG well enough, smash at very high level but this is just its own thing entirely.

Also I’m trying Reina who is a totally new moveset instead of yoshimitsu who I remember vaguely from like, 2002. My Tekken fundamentals are just bad I’m way too aggressive

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Artelier posted:

Turn on input history if you haven't already.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I’m trying Reina who is a totally new moveset instead of yoshimitsu who I remember vaguely from like, 2002. My Tekken fundamentals are just bad I’m way too aggressive

It's my understanding Reina is kind of hard mode if you're coming into 8 mostly cold.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nice Van My Man posted:

The game suddenly switched me to special controls during a match even though I have it completely unbound, which just meant I couldn't turn it off :(

I hope that doesn't become a regular occurrence.

Every time i enter ranked i need to rebind it, toggle it off, and unbind it again

Is everyone im playing using it? Im getting big juggled all the time in the green ranks with flawless execution. Thankfully i catch up with just a few deathfists

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Every time i enter ranked i need to rebind it, toggle it off, and unbind it again

Is everyone im playing using it? Im getting big juggled all the time in the green ranks with flawless execution. Thankfully i catch up with just a few deathfists

You can see when the other player turns it on, it appears on their side of the screen (which I think is stupid because it'll make players self-conscious of using it). If you don't, chances are you just hit a legacy player that is still grinding through the ranks.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I'm new to Tekken and wanting to practice more before I go online, but how does ranked work in this?

I know how ranked in for example, SF6 and GBVSR, works--where you do lose points on a loss but can't get demoted a tier until you hit higher tiers like S or Plat. These two have winstreak bonuses up to a certain point as well.

I played some Arcade Quest and there seemed to be no penalty for a loss there, no winstreaks. so I was also curious if it's a more tutorialized version of ranked in that mode where it's super low stakes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eggrolled posted:

So I'm new to Tekken and wanting to practice more before I go online, but how does ranked work in this?

I know how ranked in for example, SF6 and GBVSR, works--where you do lose points on a loss but can't get demoted a tier until you hit higher tiers like S or Plat. These two have winstreak bonuses up to a certain point as well.

I played some Arcade Quest and there seemed to be no penalty for a loss there, no winstreaks. so I was also curious if it's a more tutorialized version of ranked in that mode where it's super low stakes.

You cant lose points in ranked for several tiers. Im on like the third or forth color tier and i still cant lose points yet
So its even easier than sfvi cause not only dont you rank down, you cant even lose rank up progress at all. Go 0-10 and they are all promotion matches

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
You can’t derank until you hit the first yellow rank, Warrior

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Whoa. Thanks yall. That is actually pretty nice and takes a lot of the ranked-anxiety out of the picture for me. My brain can be a jerk to me when my inconsequential video game number goes down :shobon:

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Edit: Too slow to respond, so i'll just say i've got crippling altitis, and can't play more than two games with a character in Arcade Quest.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You should play ranked over casual matches. Ranked will place you vs. people of your skill level (generally true, except for smurfs/new game time needed for ranks to stabilize). Casual will put you vs. whomever, and you don't know if they're TGP or what.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the best way to think of ranked is that it's a means of ensuring relative fairness between matches rather than as an objective measure of your actual skill. even arpad elo admitted that player rating numbers were approximations, and that boiling an individual's skill down to a single number was, at best, an educated guess

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
The format of having a first to 2 in ranked also makes it so people are going to run high risk high reward game plans and if you aren’t ready or can’t adjust in 2 games then you get steam rolled even if those strategies are not good or stable over a long set. In my opinion it’s always better to mostly run long sets (at least a first to 5) with people as the majority of your play time and then use ranked as a verification of improvement. Grinding out ranked only is an easy way to lose your mind.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I haven’t played Tekken seriously before - played a lot of very casual Tekken tag tournament as a kid and that’s about it

Here’s my review of my first attempt at ranked online play:

Haha funny lion man chain wrestles. Giant swing go brrrt.
I can definitely tell some higher ranked people aren’t taking me seriously for the first set because I’m wearing a hot pink floral shirt and sunglasses but then they change very quickly after eating a 50-K0 chain grapple

King rules

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played a bunch in person yesterday, asuka is very cool and I played against a pretty dang good azucena who made her look even cooler than I thought she'd be. Might just start with them and see where it takes me

In bracket I got washed by someone with a very good Reina, and when I told him and told him his Reina was sick he just looked at me and said "yeah, I know" grabbed his controller and left lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011
Embodying Reina in and out of game, powerful

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Artelier posted:

This is what let me understand it - don't think of it as f, *, d, df. Just do f, *, df. Basically tap forward, cleanly release, then tap down-forward (+whatever attack if desired) without rolling it.

Frankly I don't even know why they say you have to hit down because you clearly don't and it makes it more complicated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nice Van My Man posted:

This is what let me understand it - don't think of it as f, *, d, df. Just do f, *, df. Basically tap forward, cleanly release, then tap down-forward (+whatever attack if desired) without rolling it.

Frankly I don't even know why they say you have to hit down because you clearly don't and it makes it more complicated.

yeah and qcf motions tend to work better as down > down-forward with no forward at the end too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Embodying Reina in and out of game, powerful

It was so insanely funny, though I'm not sure he meant it that way? I was laughing about it the rest of the day

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's my understanding Reina is kind of hard mode if you're coming into 8 mostly cold.

drat that makes sense. My other issue is yoshimitsu also seems to be hard mode and I just love him

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

Reina and Kazuya do not need to hit the down because their wind/mist step counts as a down input. DJ and Jin do need to hit the down.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Thinking about making lee my backup main behind Azu til eddy drops because being able to do mist traps without frame perfect input during heatmode seems pretty sweet

E- could just be me imagining things but acid rain outside of heat seems slightly more forgiving now too

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

customizing my jukebox and it's a crime that the console version of Yoshi's T2 song isn't included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQeumG2Gx_8