Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

yeah in the pre-season promos Ally talks about wanting to explore what it looks like for someone who escaped from an authoritarian situation to buckle down and get serious - a necessarily internal journey to motivation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sestze posted:

There were a lot of moments that hit pretty hard during that episode. "Chaos stops being cute" is such a hammerblow after how Ally's played Kristen for several seasons, which if that was how it was played on the long term was just a masterstroke.

I don't get the sense that it was planned, just that this season seems to have been designed around looking back at the decisions and outcomes of previous seasons and actually extrapolating all of the less happy what-happened-nexts and forcing the characters to face up to consequences.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
seems to me that brennan finally decided to have a scholastic narrative in his scholastic d&d setting

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Porter really is such a dick.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The theme this year seems to be "Yeah, all those fun jokes you kept making the past two season? Here are the logical consequences of that".

Fig's constantly skipping class and loving off to go on shenanigans in town? You're failing out of school.
Kristen changes her deity once a season? You're also failing out of school.
Gorgug's multiclassing to Artificer? That doesn't make sense in-game and none of your class features work with each other. Porter's right; you can be an Artificer, or you can be a Barbarian, but you can't be both.
Adaine killed her parents? Cool, you're broke and being a Wizard is unbelievably expensive.
Fabian's finally found himself? That means there are stakes now, and you have to start taking classes seriously rather than sleepwalking your way through them while trusting daddy's money to carry you.
Riz at least I feel bad for, because while he's always been poor, he running into the fact that if you're poor and want go to a good college you need to be perfect. My sweet goblin boy did nothing wrong, but that's kind of the point.

I love it and look forward to getting my heart broken over and over this season

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 26, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I totally dig the general theme, but wasn't the Nightmare King thing worth 65% of their sophomore year grade and they were described as absolutely crushing all their classes prior to that? I get like Fig still failing on attendance, but part of the reason Ragh was hype to join in Sophomore year is because it basically guaranteed he'd pass.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yes but grades, in my experience, don't transfer from one school year to the next

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Gorgug's multiclassing to Artificer? That doesn't make sense in-game and none of your class features work with each other. Porter's right; you can be an Artificer, or you can be a Barbarian, but you can't be both.

you may be overreading this one at least, as in the talkback they were directly talking about how this is an example of those teachers you have that project something onto you that no longer fits as your interests change, then really inappropriately feel like they can punish you for not meeting their perceptions. "you're such an amazing student at [thing they do], i can't believe you're throwing it away by focusing on [other thing] instead"

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 26, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait for the Jacob Wysocki/Kimia VIP tonight.

Also going to another improv show this weekend featuring Vic, Jacob, Izzy and Jacquis. Excited to see what that’s like.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Froghammer posted:

The theme this year seems to be "Yeah, all those fun jokes you kept making the past two season? Here are the logical consequences of that".

Fig's constantly skipping class and loving off to go on shenanigans in town? You're failing out of school.
Kristen changes her deity once a season? You're also failing out of school.
Adaine killed her parents? Cool, you're broke and being a Wizard is unbelievably expensive.
Fabian's finally found himself? That means there are stakes now, and you have to start taking classes seriously rather than sleepwalking your way through them while trusting daddy's money to carry you.
Riz at least I feel bad for, because while he's always been poor, he running into the fact that if you're poor and want go to a good college you need to be perfect. My sweet goblin boy did nothing wrong, but that's kind of the point.

I love it and look forward to getting my heart broken over and over this season

The thing I really love (so far) about this season is that while all of this is true, none of it is guaranteed to be bad. Just not necessarily the path that everyone thinks is "right." Appropriate for a show on "Dropout".

The tight rope that Brennan and Ally walk as players but also their characters is so fascinating to me. Ally is always ready to make a joke, even when Brennan doesn't think it's narratively appropriate for them to do so, and that has manifested itself into Kristen becoming a character whose defining characteristic is that they don't let consequences inflicted by other people (or gravity) dictate their actions or emotions. I think a lot of the time Brennan will not so subtly say "Hey, this is a sad situation." Everyone else will say "Okay, here's how my character would respond to a sad situation." Ally doesn't hear the "sad" part and makes their own decision about how they want to feel about it. It rules.

"That's what you think."

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 26, 2024

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

eke out posted:

you may be overreading this one at least, as in the talkback they were directly talking about how this is an example of those teachers you have that project something onto you that no longer fits as your interests change, then really inappropriately feel like they can punish you for not meeting their perceptions. "you're such an amazing student at [thing they do], i can't believe you're throwing it away by focusing on [other thing] instead"
I watched the Adventuring Party and yeah, you're right, Porter's being a bad teacher

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
porters just wants gorgug to get relentless rage

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This VIP is almost as bonkers as Ex-step grandma

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
porter is an interesting character because he's being a bad teacher but in the weird mechanical meta world of d&d he isn't wrong that its a pretty bad multiclass

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Farg posted:

porter is an interesting character because he's being a bad teacher but in the weird mechanical meta world of d&d he isn't wrong that its a pretty bad multiclass

then hes a minmaxer and gorgugs arc will be intentionally making suboptimal choices that end up saving everyone because the dm is good

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
tbh i also thought porter was baiting gorgug into getting really pissed off and raging at him as a secret test

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its a pretty farcical circumstance considering some of gorgugs enthusiasm for uhh artifice is due to misapprehensions and deceptions

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Farg posted:

tbh i also thought porter was baiting gorgug into getting really pissed off and raging at him as a secret test

he totally was and gorgug failed

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
every new thing I learn about Brennen is wild. He didn't go to high school? Are Americans allowed to not go to high school? He worked at a LARP camp, which is something I didn't know existed until like an hour ago.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

YggiDee posted:

every new thing I learn about Brennen is wild. He didn't go to high school? Are Americans allowed to not go to high school? He worked at a LARP camp, which is something I didn't know existed until like an hour ago.

His giant skull houses a giant brain. He started college at age 14 or something

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I didn't go to high school. I was homeschooled until I was 14 (because the schools where I lived sucked and my parents were both college educated) and then I started taking classes at a nearby university.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Porter's position is also understandable because according to the school's multiclass rules you basically have to do 150% of the normal load, under which it only makes sense to do multiclasses that synergize with each other and make the other class more effective. Fabian's bard/fighter combo is odd but there are martial maneuvers that can boost his charisma checks and swords bard has flourishes which convert bardic inspiration into combat stuff. Gorgug has to choose in every fight between being an artificer or barbarian.

YggiDee posted:

I don't know the specifics but in the US you can get out of certain educational levels either by 1) testing your way through them, which is how you get like 14 year old in college or 2) using some weird farm exception where you don't go to school because you're part of the family farm.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 27, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
fighter is probably one of the best multiclass adds because of the many proficiencies it grants even just at level 1. just two levels of fighter gets you fighting styles, second wind and action surge, and if you add one more level you can be a champion fighter and crit on 19 and 20. if you use weapons at all it’s a pro move. i bet probably half of the students in the fighter courses are multiclassing

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey so in this week's VIP was that a real skull? I've never seen a loving tooth fall out of a prop skull before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Knowing dropout and how ethical they are I highly highly doubt that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Definitely not actual human

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Definitely a real skull 100%

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Definitely a real skull 100%

It's pat's skull. They got it from Trapp's green room

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm slowly making my way through all of Dimension 20's past seasons. I just finished episode 1 of Shriek Week. Is there any conflict, or mystery or drama which isn't about relationships, because if not then I'm okay skipping the remaining episodes.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm slowly making my way through all of Dimension 20's past seasons. I just finished episode 1 of Shriek Week. Is there any conflict, or mystery or drama which isn't about relationships, because if not then I'm okay skipping the remaining episodes.

yes but if you already don't like it then skip it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Shriek week was monsterhearts right? It's one of those systems that are extremely love it or hate it. I didn't watch it but I also fully recognize that that I've wasn't for me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

lemonadesweetheart posted:

yes but if you already don't like it then skip it

I didn't completely hate it, but I wanted something more in terms of plot or story to hook my interest than I got in the first episode. If that happens in the second episode, I could watch those, it's only four episodes. EDIT: The descriptions of the other three are of mundane events, so I'll hold off for now.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 30, 2024

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DeathSandwich posted:

Shriek week was monsterhearts right? It's one of those systems that are extremely love it or hate it. I didn't watch it but I also fully recognize that that I've wasn't for me.

It's Gabe's home-brew system; Monsterhearts would have been dope

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Xand_Man posted:

It's Gabe's home-brew system; Monsterhearts would have been dope

Incomplete list of systems I’d like to see:
- Monsterhearts
- Glitch/Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
- Pasion de las Pasiones
- mork borg
- Night Witches

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

MrQueasy posted:

Incomplete list of systems I’d like to see:
- Monsterhearts
- Glitch/Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
- Pasion de las Pasiones
- mork borg
- Night Witches

I don't think OSRs would work very well for the usual format they do, though I'd love to see some sort of anthology setup.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MrQueasy posted:

- Pasion de las Pasiones

YES PLEASE

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I would kill to see the intrepid heroes playing Blades in the Dark. Imagine the shenanigans Emily could get up to with flashbacks!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I wouldn't mind seeing the kind of bonkers combos the Intrepid Heroes could get up to in Lancer, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

I would kill to see the intrepid heroes playing Blades in the Dark. Imagine the shenanigans Emily could get up to with flashbacks!

Glass Cannon's Haunted City is what John Harper considers the best BitD AP, apparently, and it has Ross Bryant as one of the players. (I really should get around to watching some of it.)