Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anywhere to get good resources for learning about the inner workings of EVs? My job is likely going to require it soon and my degree never gave me much in the way of formal training for it

Weber Auto channel on Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Any particular subject, like motors, batteries, charging, how to hotwire your EVSE?

Batteries and chargers come to mind, I’ve had to read up on charging sequences in the past for heavy duty EVs but expanding what I know is probably helpful

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I can post my excel doc of EV trap speeds if it will help

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Saukkis posted:

Where do you even get such a cable? Does some company sell cables with J1772 in one end and a wall plug at the other, on do you need make the cable yourself?

They are sold with the required safety equipment integrated, as "emergency charging cable" or "portable charging station".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

They are sold with the required safety equipment integrated, as "emergency charging cable" or "portable charging station".

That looks like a type c to type 2 charging cable, pretty common to put in the trunk of an EV in Europe. It's still technically an EVSE.

You're never going to see any EVs out there accept a straight connection to mains since they expect a signal to come from a station with a maximum amps allowed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone here seen a Kia EV5 in person? From what I can see, it looks like the same approximate space as a Kia EV9 minus the third row section. Does that sound accurate?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That looks like a type c to type 2 charging cable, pretty common to put in the trunk of an EV in Europe. It's still technically an EVSE.

You're never going to see any EVs out there accept a straight connection to mains since they expect a signal to come from a station with a maximum amps allowed.

People are pretty close to miniaturizing a minimalist EVSE into the connector itself.

The site I found the picture on also warned that there are knockoffs around that provide minimal negotiations and no safety features. Kinda like the USB-PD to 20V barrel jack connectors you get on aliexpress.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of buying stuff from aliexpress, I'm this close to buying a 10kW DC charger so I can get around the 3 kW limit my motorcycle currently has. Some day I'll have an EV with V2L so I can trailer my bike to a track day for quick charging between sessions. They quoted me $2,300 + $390 shipping. There was a goon here in business with someone who made these but I think they don't do that anymore.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Has anyone here seen a Kia EV5 in person? From what I can see, it looks like the same approximate space as a Kia EV9 minus the third row section. Does that sound accurate?

Not really, it's a fair bit smaller in every dimension.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I came across this site the other day, seems pretty neat

https://www.carsized.com/en/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

VictualSquid posted:

But that is still just a portable EVSE. What the discussion was about was a cable connecting directly to the raw grid without any electronics in the middle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

priznat posted:

These are amazing, weren't there some on amazon for a bit there even? Just truly freaky poo poo.

Definitely were some on Walmart.com just in time to put up christmas lights.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Not really, it's a fair bit smaller in every dimension.

Oh dang. I don’t really need the third row but I do like everything else about the EV9.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

VictualSquid posted:

People are pretty close to miniaturizing a minimalist EVSE into the connector itself.

It'd have to go into the wall end connector rather than the car end wouldn't it?

The Tesla mobile connector is already quite small compared to the giant bricks that came with my other cars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

But that is still just a portable EVSE. What the discussion was about was a cable connecting directly to the raw grid without any electronics in the middle.
I think they know, the point is likely more "why are you loving with the wiring on a wall charger when a granny cable will both solve your immediate charging problem, and be a useful backup farther afield".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean I plug my rav4prime directly into the wall, it came with a charger for it, it's fine

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That looks nice, seems pretty similar in styling to the Seal. Any shots of the interior?

It's basically the Seal U (BYD's model Y equivalent), but in PHEV form with very minor changes on the front to account for engine ventilation. As for the interior, sure here you go!

Freezer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 29, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

InitialDave posted:

I think they know, the point is likely more "why are you loving with the wiring on a wall charger when a granny cable will both solve your immediate charging problem, and be a useful backup farther afield".

I don't think they are, since I have a hard time believing any EV would be willing to charge with that kind of cable. Until Nitrox shows a picture of his cable I assume they were talking about portable EVSE.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really don't want to post about it any more but I'm guessing they just bypassed the contactor while leaving the rest intact.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

I don't think they are, since I have a hard time believing any EV would be willing to charge with that kind of cable. Until Nitrox shows a picture of his cable I assume they were talking about portable EVSE.

I'm not sure if we're talking at cross purposes here, but that kind of unitary cable pictured which plugs the car into a wall socket, and includes the correct control/management inline, is a real thing. I had an EV and they were an OEM option/accessory for people who needed to charge in locations away from a proper installed charge point.

Edit: I'm talking about the cable VictualSquid posted, in the context of "why gently caress with bodging something when you can just buy a cable to plug in?"

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 29, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm not sure if we're talking at cross purposes here, but that kind of unitary cable pictured which plugs the car into a wall socket, and includes the correct control/management inline, is a real thing. I had an EV and they were an OEM option/accessory for people who needed to charge in locations away from a proper installed charge point.

I know, this whole discussion is about bypassing those controls.

Nitrox posted:

You can ask the electrician to open the charger and connect input and output cable directly, ignoring the rest of the electronics inside. This way you have actual current going to the car, and I'm sure your car lets you select charging times/levels and other details. Or in the worst case scenario, you can physically plug it in or flip the breaker at the exact time you want it to start charging.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

I know, this whole discussion is about bypassing those controls.
Ok, I thought this part of the discussion was specific to why you'd even bother doing that when they make a cable you can just plug in to a wall socket if you need an emergency backup.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

koshmar posted:

The CyberTruck continues to win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AH4eyJCwbE

My personal favorite is being unable to turn on the diff locks because of a software issue, still, love the truck!

Edit: You have to pop off the awful hubcaps to access the valve stems.

This ends up being a great advertisement for the Subaru Crosstrek.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Failson posted:

This ends up being a great advertisement for the Subaru Crosstrek.

And that model Crosstrek is nowhere near as capable as the older 1st/2nd Gen Foresters.

Utterly hilarious how badly Tesla got it wrong

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

InitialDave posted:

Ok, I thought this part of the discussion was specific to why you'd even bother doing that when they make a cable you can just plug in to a wall socket if you need an emergency backup.

I don't think bypassing an EVSE's internals to hook your car directly up to mains voltage (which is stupid, is likely to cause you a painful death, and is banned in most countries) was being suggested as an 'emergency backup' alternative. It was being suggested as an "pff, who needs all this safety anyway" alternative.

But technically it is a charging method. It's known as "mode 1" charging. Since it's highly dangerous and almost always illegal, I don't even think any modern EVs will even allow it.

A portable level 1 EVSE -- the emergency backup you're referring to here -- is not just connecting your vehicle to mains voltage; and I'm of the opinion that every EV should have one stashed away somewhere inside it, just in case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
cybertruck is the best thing to happen to rivian

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

VictualSquid posted:

I have one of those that has both a 120 and a 220 plug so it is both a level 1 and 2, it has an adapter that plugs to the 220 one to be used as a level 1.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

trilobite terror posted:

cybertruck is the best thing to happen to rivian

I wishj they'd make a regular car, their amazon van makes silly noises and messages on the dash "oww, ouch, take me to service"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

I wishj they'd make a regular car, their amazon van makes silly noises and messages on the dash "oww, ouch, take me to service"

Same with me and Canoo. I really wish they would decide if they're actually selling cars, or just scamming orders.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I really don't want to post about it any more but I'm guessing they just bypassed the contactor while leaving the rest intact.

What they were suggesting was directly jumpering the incoming hot1 and hot2 (red and black) and ground wires to the corresponding wires on the J1772 cable, which would bypass the contactor and all the other protections in the EVSE unit itself

This is what the inside of my ChargePoint currently looks like. Supply from the panel goes into the jumper block on the left side and the J1772 cable is wired on the right

This would be in essence the same thing as cutting one end off a J1772 and sticking the bare red and black and green wires into a NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet.

InitialDave posted:

The reason I believe they suggested it initially was so that I could "still have level2 charging" while I wait for ChargePoint to ship me a replacement unit since this one is DOA. I've just gone back to using the portable L1 120V charger that came with the car in the meantime, which is what we've been using since we got it.

edit: the VW portable EVSE does have interchangeable plugs, so if we had installed a NEMA outlet instead of hardwiring I could have used it for that. The motivation for going with the ChargePoint unit specifically was because of the install rebate and ongoing discount available through my local utility. This is one of the two units eligible for the program

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 30, 2024

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

While I had the car out of the garage last week during the attempted EVSE install, I did get around to taking some photos of that since I had promised it previously and never followed through.

Of course it's got a month's worth of winter grime on the exterior and salt/dirt on the all-weather mats on the interior now, so not exactly showroom ready anymore

Exterior. The Pro S Plus has the silver accent trim on the back and the 20 inch two-tone alloy wheels

Black/Grey "galaxy" interior

Our daughter's favorite things about the car are the rear heated seats and the panoramic sunroof

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

vanilla slimfast posted:

The reason I believe they suggested it initially was so that I could "still have level2 charging" while I wait for ChargePoint to ship me a replacement unit since this one is DOA. I've just gone back to using the portable L1 120V charger that came with the car in the meantime, which is what we've been using since we got it.

edit: the VW portable EVSE does have interchangeable plugs, so if we had installed a NEMA outlet instead of hardwiring I could have used it for that. The motivation for going with the ChargePoint unit specifically was because of the install rebate and ongoing discount available through my local utility. This is one of the two units eligible for the program

100% the reason I went with a plug in EVSE instead of hardwired. When we had our floors refinished and insulation blown in, not having a 240 outlet besides our dryer was a whole thing. The made it work but it would have been a million times easier if there was just an extra outlet that they could use and if my EVSE ever dies the portable EVSE that came with my car does L2 so I can just plug it in until the 40A mounted one is replaced.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Floor refinishers are notorious for doing the shadiest most dangerous poo poo to get power for their sanders, I walked onto a job one day to find an outlet attached with jumper cables to the main lugs upstream of the main breaker for a sander. I pulled that rig out and hooked them up with a proper temp outlet.

Essentially unlimited current* run through some cables swinging around outside the panel, what's the worst that could happen?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"Elviscat" posted:

I walked onto a job one day to find an outlet attached with jumper cables to the main lugs upstream of the main breaker for a sander. I pulled that rig out and hooked them up with a proper temp outlet.

:psyduck: like…200 amps feeding right into a floor sander?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ride the sander shiny and chrome, all the way to valhalla

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stultus Maximus posted:

:psyduck: like…200 amps feeding right into a floor sander?

They run off of 240V plugs, it's the voltage that those machines want.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

They run off of 240V plugs, it's the voltage that those machines want.

Weird the one I used to help redo a buddy's place was 120V at like 12 Amps nominal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

cursedshitbox posted:

Weird the one I used to help redo a buddy's place was 120V at like 12 Amps nominal.

Resurfacing floors and refinishing 100~ year old floors are completely different things, it sounds like a distinction without a difference but one involves a some guy with a Home Depot sander rental and the other involves completely vacating your house for a week so a crew of half a dozen people including people with years as an apprentice can make 100 year old wood look like vinyl/laminate that you can see your reflection in, except, very obviously, real wood.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 30, 2024

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Does anyone have a Lucid Air? I’m thinking about getting one but don’t know anyone with firsthand experience owning one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The homeless man that lives by my townhouse took one look at my floors and asked “is that 100 year old wood?”

And I said “very obviously”.