Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I feel like im missing something obvious, but I can't get roboports in trains to work in K2. Cargo wagons have equipment grids and I've got a roboport, battery, and power source in the grid, and construction bots in a reserved slot in the wagon's cargo, but they dont activate and build anything. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've noticed my personal bots sometimes take a few seconds to activate when setting a task or walking into building range of ghosts, maybe this is related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You’ve also got the construction supplies in that wagon, or in a storage chest inside the wagon’s roboport range?

The wagon’s got a roboport range showing up?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm impressed by how clean this mod makes adjusting inserters: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/quick-adjustable-inserters

https://github.com/JanSharp/quick-adjustable-inserters/raw/1.1.1/videos/quick-adjustable-inserters.mp4

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Solumin posted:

I'm impressed by how clean this mod makes adjusting inserters: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/quick-adjustable-inserters

That's very clean! Somewhat surprised at the implied 9-grid of item dropping locations. I guess that can matter sometimes, but I don't think I've been involved in sufficient inserter-heresy to be concerned about it before.

If we accept the choice of 'near/far' dropping location, wouldn't you always want 'closest postion' unless you were attempting to make some kind of simultaneously loaded sushi belt or something?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Teledahn posted:

If we accept the choice of 'near/far' dropping location, wouldn't you always want 'closest postion' unless you were attempting to make some kind of simultaneously loaded sushi belt or something?

I use a mod that I can't remember the name of right now that gives the ability to set up inserters to drop near/far, and it is handy as hell and I use it all the time. For example in a plastic production line, I can give each machine two inserters that are set to near/far and fill up a complete belt without worrying about playing games half-way down the belt. Or on a set of smelters that should be filling a belt but every once in a while you get a gap, just give the last smelter two inserters that can drop near and far, and bam, no more gaps.

You can also use it for putting say, gear and pipe assemblers both drawing from a single iron plate belt, and dropping on opposite sides of the output belt from the same side before they head downstream to be reassembled into something else.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

The Locator posted:

I use a mod that I can't remember the name of right now that gives the ability to set up inserters to drop near/far

Bob's Adjustable Inserters maybe? It's the most popular one I can think of, at least.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Krastorio lets you toggle near/far without going as crazy as bobs inserers

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Bob's Adjustable Inserters maybe? It's the most popular one I can think of, at least.

I loaded up the game and checked. It's GotLag's Side Inserters: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Side%20Inserters

It's fairly simple, you can set the inserters to pick up at 90 degree angles and adjust near/far placement. Not nearly as flexible as Bob's adjustable inserters or the mod posted above, but it's simple and I've used it for a long time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Adjustable inserters like that enable fantastically compact builds.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bob's Adjustable Inserters skate too close to hubris. I would like selectable near/far for vanilla at most.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Utter and total heresy, spitting in the face of god.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The Locator posted:

I use a mod that I can't remember the name of right now that gives the ability to set up inserters to drop near/far, and it is handy as hell and I use it all the time.

Yes, but aside from that why would you need the specificity of being able to pick the sub-tile spacing? I can figure why one would want near/far if you want to just bypass the positional and arrangement puzzle of the game but I can't think of a reason to allow that specific level of positioning.

Aside from the exceptional madness of a precisely metered multi-inserter to belt sushi shenanigans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Teledahn posted:

Yes, but aside from that why would you need the specificity of being able to pick the sub-tile spacing? I can figure why one would want near/far if you want to just bypass the positional and arrangement puzzle of the game but I can't think of a reason to allow that specific level of positioning.

Aside from the exceptional madness of a precisely metered multi-inserter to belt sushi shenanigans.

Because the belts can be oriented horizontally or vertically, so you can override left/right separately from top/bottom.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Teledahn posted:

Throughput optimization. For the highest possible inserter throughput you want to only have rotation, no changing the arm length (or at least as little movement in that axis as possible), and with some configurations that requires setting the target sub-tile.

Bob's adjustable inserters are a lot of fun, they introduce a whole new set of puzzles along the lines of "how much nonsense can I squeeze into this absurdly tiny space". You just get different creative tools to work with.

Here are some fun puzzles I've enjoyed in 340 hours of Seablock:

direct inserting charcoal filters from a single filter assembler into five filtration plants (empty frames go back via the chests for... reasons)

a very stupid cobalt oxide furnace that I just refused to make any wider because of... other reasons

some cursed tungsten powder contraption where I think I just gave up and didn't want to move things around anymore

train unloader. I should optimize this a bit, it's not ideal, but whatever, it's fast enough

five belts of input and one belt of output from a single 2x2 electronics assembler. the inserter highlighting breaks down for the outermost belts but you can just use your imagination, all of the inserters are just set to 90° angles

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 29, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem with bob's is you end up doing stupid poo poo like "max length inserter shifting between two adjacent tiles" because that's the smallest angular distance (and thus fastest). It's just really boring doing that every single time (because anything else you could possibly do would be both slower and require more thinking), having some constraints makes things more fun to design.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed. Call me a masochist, but I'm doing Py without additional inserters/loaders and except for the insane amount of time involved with unloading trains, it's an interesting problem to figure out how to make use of the giant buildings to squeeze as much inserter throughput as possible.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jabor posted:

The problem with bob's is you end up doing stupid poo poo like "max length inserter shifting between two adjacent tiles" because that's the smallest angular distance (and thus fastest). It's just really boring doing that every single time (because anything else you could possibly do would be both slower and require more thinking), having some constraints makes things more fun to design.

I generally find my stupid designs and questionable sense of aesthetics add more than enough constraints to keep things interesting, but to me this game is a creative one first and foremost and I have a lot of difficulty relating to certain types of complaints about the game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I generally find my stupid designs and questionable sense of aesthetics add more than enough constraints to keep things interesting, but to me this game is a creative one first and foremost and I have a lot of difficulty relating to certain types of complaints about the game.

Same. If I don't like the idea of Mod-X, then I simply don't use Mod-X. Done!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
if your complaint is "the most optimal way to do X is boring", then simply do what is fun for you. Unless you are playing with biters on deathworld or using a Rampant/Natural Evolution mod, being optimal or 100% efficient or not doesn't really make an actual difference except perhaps time taken!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PancakeTransmission posted:

if your complaint is "the most optimal way to do X is boring", then simply do what is fun for you. Unless you are playing with biters on deathworld or using a Rampant/Natural Evolution mod, being optimal or 100% efficient or not doesn't really make an actual difference except perhaps time taken!

Nah, it is a sign of lazy game design. There are actually some very good Factorio devblogs about that. Where they talk about how the kind of people who play Factorio are also the kind of people who psychologically can't use a suboptimal strategy even if it is more fun. And they talk about working hard to buff belts to make them actually competitive with bots outside of the early game.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
If I'm using mods and a part of my line is handling so much stuff that I really need to squeeze every possible bit of speed out of my inserters, I just use loaders instead of fussing around with optimizing inserter directions.

Personally, I use sub-tile targeting when I want inserters on both sides of a belt to put their items in the same lane, which is occasionally useful when dealing with advanced recipes from complicated mods, where I might have a bunch of large machines pumping out a slow recipe with multiple outputs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Somebody here made Ultracube, yes? Saw a playthrough vid pop up on my Youtube recommended, looks like you've reached the fanbase. Nice work!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No one can resist the cube.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I want two things

Some Polish on that Cube
Some Dosh vs Cube.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Doomykins posted:

Somebody here made Ultracube, yes? Saw a playthrough vid pop up on my Youtube recommended, looks like you've reached the fanbase. Nice work!

I really like Ryan Brown's videos in general, looking forward to seeing him go through the cube.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can't handle his voice, it sounds like he is choking on his own tongue

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Doomykins posted:

Yep. The video seems to be having an effect, today looks to be the highest number of new players downloading the mod so far so I'm pretty happy!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

ultracube is the only mod I've tried that has real resource scarcity (got only 1 cube :goleft: ) and it injects new life into the game imo. like what freight forwarding did for logistics

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I didn't get to that point in my playthrough, but is there an endgame tech super expensive research, that gives you a single cube every time its researched? I remember there being a way to tie an inventory push to a research completion, and with the infinite scaling of tech costs does sort of make it fair.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

M_Gargantua posted:

I didn't get to that point in my playthrough, but is there an endgame tech super expensive research, that gives you a single cube every time its researched? I remember there being a way to tie an inventory push to a research completion, and with the infinite scaling of tech costs does sort of make it fair.

I thought long and hard about adding something like this but ultimately decided not to, on the basis that the end-goal would then be to get 1 cube per machine (type) and effectively eliminate most of the unique aspects of the mod. It seemed more interesting to focus on having different optional/end-game ways to deploy the cube more effectively instead. This also keeps the "megabase" equivalent different from vanilla (how to arrange and optimize things for maximum scale and approach the theoretical SPM limit, rather than build as big as you can).

seiken fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 31, 2024

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I went from not understanding circuits last week to creating my own fully automated cargo rocket system in Space Exploration today.

I'm definitely going to give an Ultracube run a go after I'm done conquering space.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm assuming that's your actual framerate and not some artifact of giffing it.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Arrath posted:

I'm assuming that's your actual framerate and not some artifact of giffing it.

I am playing on a laptop but so far I'm still at 60FPS/60UPS. I'm sure once I start adding other planets/surfaces things are going to go to poo poo, but I have to say I'm pretty stunned by how well optimized this whole game seems to be.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh no doubt the game is a masterclass in optimization, it consistently impresses me what monstrosities people are able to construct and maintain performance with.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Started to cube. It's a nice mod, but a little slow. I get that it's to make me implement the more optimal cube techs rather than coast on the basic stuff, but the result is definitely a game you tinker with while listening to a book or watching a not particularly demanding show. It's been interesting and I admit I'm not playing all that well; the hard limit on your ability to scale your input took some getting used to.

Got to a bit into the 3rd science pack after playing last night and a little bit this morning. Now waiting on some projects to finish -- notably finishing the currently in-progress logibots and then setting up full bot production -- before making the switch to cubing on rails.

Click for huge

I, uh, did not leave myself enough space to do all the circuit things I actually want to do in the initial loop. The wiring is a mess, the nixie tubes fail intermittently, and the only reason I don't brownout is because I have a giant steam battery so I can half-rear end the power logic and have it still work out.

Anyhow, it's a neat mod, and Cubecam is my friend.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

They're polishing things so much, jeez. Love those alien frog sounds at night

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have about 200 hours into a co-op Space Exploration game and on the one hand, I have never been more addicted to Factorio, and on the other this gets more daunting each session. We're in the middle of the space sciences: Astro3, Material2, Energy2, and Bio1. We wanted to make a push into Astro4 but Astro3 greatly increased our beryllium demand. We make about 800 ingots/hour and we need way more, especially since I want to mess around with spaceship design now too. It's the dominant ore in only one place in our solar system and that's the asteroid belt. We just need so, so much more. And we need to switch all our Nauvis near orbit logistics to space elevator trains (the elevator is another beryllium sink). And we need to automate more cargo rocket delivery. And we need to unfuck Nauvis supply lines. And...

10/10 mod but my brain hurts.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheFluff posted:

Friday Facts #396 - Sound improvements in 2.0

They're polishing things so much, jeez. Love those alien frog sounds at night
I hope they uncap fps. Moving in factorio is terrible because it's a blurry, jerky, 60 fps thing.

I get that due to being a sprite based game animations won't change, anything ups based won't update faster (belt positions), etc, but animations are fine as they are. It's only moving that's terrible. Redrawing the existing position+state+anim frame but moving the view position at >60fps would be amazing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 2, 2024

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Xerophyte posted:

Started to cube. It's a nice mod, but a little slow. I get that it's to make me implement the more optimal cube techs rather than coast on the basic stuff, but the result is definitely a game you tinker with while listening to a book or watching a not particularly demanding show. It's been interesting and I admit I'm not playing all that well; the hard limit on your ability to scale your input took some getting used to.

Got to a bit into the 3rd science pack after playing last night and a little bit this morning. Now waiting on some projects to finish -- notably finishing the currently in-progress logibots and then setting up full bot production -- before making the switch to cubing on rails.

Click for huge

I, uh, did not leave myself enough space to do all the circuit things I actually want to do in the initial loop. The wiring is a mess, the nixie tubes fail intermittently, and the only reason I don't brownout is because I have a giant steam battery so I can half-rear end the power logic and have it still work out.

Anyhow, it's a neat mod, and Cubecam is my friend.

It looks like you're having trouble processing excess calcium. Look around you for one of the various calcium drop off points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Look around you

:five: