Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I'm on my first playthrough, and I'm about 25-30 hours in. I just left the under dark after finding the forge and beheading a drow for a mushroom. I killed the forge robot after a few tries , only to then realize I was likely supposed to use the giant forge hammer to kill it instead of bonking it to death. Oh well. I ended up forging the plate armor and shield. Seems pretty OP.

I killed another drow who summoned a giant eyeball that wrecked my face a few times until I was able to approach it better to not have my guys get melted the first turn. I got the last piece of an ice staff there that seems pretty good. Hilariously he dropped a memory shard that hinted at the forge location that I had just came from.

I ended up going back up via a mushroom circle teleporter thing, only to find the healer from the grove in a hut with a distressed pregnant woman? Further investigation will likely be required there.

Either way the under dark was amazing. I am level 5 and feel extremely op compared to when I went into the under dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm about to do what I remember being the most annoying part of the game Grymforge.

Pray for me.

What's wrong with that area? I've only been through it once, but it seemed relatively smooth sailing?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I found the movement tedious. I had to backtrack a fair amount and you're walking for a couple of minutes each time to get anywhere.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I'm just starting out after having owned the game since early access.

I'm thinking my first character can be a Sorceror but I'm unsure how to build them. I'm hearing a lot of arguments between Draconic and Storm sorceror builds and I'm unsure which to pick.

I find that the landscape often gets littered with acid or fire and I thought being able to effortlessly create water can help me both in terms of damage (lightning/cold) and helping remove some hazards like if my whole party is standing in fire.

Is there any reason why it's more optimal or fun to be play Draconic instead? I figured I can do Human or Half Elf and pick up some armor this way and thus negate the need for the improved armor class.

On the flip side I also heard that Evocation or Necromancer wizards can be "s-tier"? Any truth to that?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 29, 2024

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Are people not fast traveling as much as I do? If I grab a question item or need to get back somewhere, I’m opening up fast travel wherever I am and finding the nearest sigil.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Trevor Hale posted:

Are people not fast traveling as much as I do? If I grab a question item or need to get back somewhere, I’m opening up fast travel wherever I am and finding the nearest sigil.

I fast travel a lot as well, but I also usually just watch my guys putter around the environment. It's relaxing and I enjoy it and it's how I played the original games. Just slowly inching my way across a map uncovering the black.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Is that blood? No, Nere's Head.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm thinking my first character can be a Sorceror but I'm unsure how to build them. I'm hearing a lot of arguments between Draconic and Storm sorceror builds and I'm unsure which to pick.

I find that the landscape often gets littered with acid or fire and I thought being able to effortlessly create water can help me both in terms of damage (lightning/cold) and helping remove some hazards like if my whole party is standing in fire.

Is there any reason why it's more optimal or fun to be play Draconic instead? I figured I can do Human or Half Elf and pick up some armor this way and thus negate the need for the improved armor class.

On the flip side I also heard that Evocation or Necromancer wizards can be "s-tier"? Any truth to that?

Evocation is great cause you can aoe over the top of your team willy nilly. Necromancy less so

Sorceror is a good place to start. Storm is a bit more niche.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If all you wanna do is nuke and learn all the best spells to nuke and never have to worry about multi-classing or aiming then you can't go wrong with an Evocation Wizard.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
How do I know if a long rest scene isn't appearing cos it's bugged or because the RNG doesnt feel like it

wit
Jul 26, 2011

tarbrush posted:

Sorceror is a good place to start. Storm is a bit more niche.

Something I didn't realize until grymforge was that any spell you cast to get your free flight movement doesn't even need to be targeted or hit. so you can just throw a cheap spell at the ground out of battle and you're granted the power of flight from the very start of the game. I mean by the end of act 1 your party should look like a bon jovi concert with all the teleports, scrolls, steps etc. but it could be very useful in the painful levels 1-4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm about to do what I remember being the most annoying part of the game Grymforge.

Pray for me.

If you have a druid please do a top-rope owlbear and report back, I regret not thinking of that when I had a druid in my party.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you want to keep Isobel alive during that encounter have your party members pop elixirs of vigilance before the fight starts. That should hopefully let you go early enough in turn order for her to not immediately get curbstomped.

If you pop one on Shadowheart for example then she can go early and cast sanctuary on Isobel. You should be able to stabilize from there.

Also in that tiny little room all the enemies that bum rush her are gonna be highly susceptible to spirit guardians as well. Shart can really carry during that fight (as she can in most any other fight - Clerics rock)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My last issue with the Isobel fight wasn’t her, she was fine. My issue was Cal and Lia both deciding to be heroes and both getting paralyzed downstairs, far away from my party. I had to scramble to get someone down to rescue them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah, god, the supplemental materials for BG1 and 2 were loving great. TBH if Larian put out a box of physical poo poo like that for 20 bucks a pop or something, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Some sort of parchment map that I could use for navigating, and turn off minimap and only use waypoints for fast travel. That you could make notes on as you go, rather than the game filling it in for you.

My favourite game map experience ever is Firewatch, where when you hit the map key your character holds a map and compass up to the screen in first person and there’s no dot telling you where you are, you have to navigate by landmarks and keep conscious of where you are. I think there was even a PDF so you could print out a physical map!

Obviously this would not work for a lot of games but it was amazing how that one interface decision made a fairly linear game that didn’t actually have a very open game world (you basically had a specific paths through the landscape you could take and couldn’t just wander off and get lost in the woods) feel incredibly immersive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My last issue with the Isobel fight wasn’t her, she was fine. My issue was Cal and Lia both deciding to be heroes and both getting paralyzed downstairs, far away from my party. I had to scramble to get someone down to rescue them.

Tbh my second most important character to keep alive after Isobel isn't Cal or Lia but Alfira because if she dies I can't get that sick robe as a reward :v:. So I usually try to keep Isobel safe and then scramble someone down there to help her.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ginette Reno posted:

Tbh my second most important character to keep alive after Isobel isn't Cal or Lia but Alfira because if she dies I can't get that sick robe as a reward :v:. So I usually try to keep Isobel safe and then scramble someone down there to help her.

On my durge run in which she was spared, I started that fight only to realize that she still had 1 hp from being knocked out in act 1. You bet your rear end I had Shadowheart BOLT out of that room to heal her up immediately.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I generally have two melee-distance characters and two ranged characters so I set up the two melee inside the room and the ranged on the balcony to get high ground advantage. Sometimes it ends up not working well because once the easily hit enemies down on the bottom floor are dead it takes too long to get down to mop up the rest. I haven't had Isobel die yet even on tactician, although this last time spirit guardians absolutely did do work especially when combined with the fact that I still had Blood of Lathander equipped on Shadowheart so it was a combo of blinding and damaging the winged horrors.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
First time playthrough, two questions:

Is there a way to tell either by description or visually if a spell will hurt allies in it's aoe?

If you're in co-op without a full player-controlled group how do you decide who gets the NPC control? I'm the game host but my friend has to micromanage the NPCs which he hates but we don't know how to switch the control to me.
edit: should clarify, playing on PC

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is there a way to tell either by description or visually if a spell will hurt allies in it's aoe?

If you're in co-op without a full player-controlled group how do you decide who gets the NPC control? I'm the game host but my friend has to micromanage the NPCs which he hates but we don't know how to switch the control to me.

For the first question, i've found that if the spell specifies "enemies" in the spell description, then it should just affect enemies. Otherwise I believe it affects everyone. At least, that's what I've observed.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Check the ring at the character's feet. If the spell targets them it will have triangles on it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kraftwerk posted:

Draconic Sorcerer is the 'default' Sorcerer option so it gets a little bit of a grab bag of everything. Its starter kit gives you one extra spell (based on your ancestry), plus effectively always-on Mage Armor and effectively stepping up your measly d6 hit dice to a d8 by way of giving you +1 HP per level so it's the more survival based Sorc for sure. It also gets the coolest drip since you get dragon scales matching your draconic bloodline (which even mixes well with Dragonborn PCs, so I'm told).

Storm Sorcerer gives you limited flight as a bonus action, which is fantastic mobility, but basically wants to funnel you into always doing Thunder and Lightning damage. There's a lot of good gear to help with this but it is probably the more technical of the two, even without factoring in the usual Tempest Cleric 2/Sorcerer X builds meant to invalidate large swaths of the game. That said, you can pull some barrelmancy in order to get the most out of it, but you probably also don't need to, either.

Basically which you'll prefer comes down largely to whether or not you want something to "just work" or you want to fiddle and tweak for maximum optimization.

Likewise, that's the case for the Wizard subclasses as well - the three major Wizard classes that are good in tabletop - Evocation, Abjuration, Divination - with some caveats (Shield doesn't build your Arcane Shield anymore because they buffed Arcane Shield to being so ludicrous that using Shield to keep it juiced is way too much to ask for). Necromancy can be very, very powerful but like Storm Sorcerer it's very much meant for the people who want to tinker and juice the subclass to its absolute limits.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I saw or read something along the lines of Evokers having options to nullify friendly fire; how does that work?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If an AOE highlights your allies as well as your enemies, it's going to hit them. Most tooltips will specify this in text by saying "creatures" (everyone) or "enemies" (bad guys only). Evocation Wizards and Sorcerers have ways of avoiding friendly fire. Note that if your spell is the cause of an additional ground effect or explosion, your allies will not be saved from the collateral damage even if the triggering effect does not harm them.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Monathin posted:

Draconic Sorcerer is the 'default' Sorcerer option so it gets a little bit of a grab bag of everything. Its starter kit gives you one extra spell (based on your ancestry), plus effectively always-on Mage Armor and effectively stepping up your measly d6 hit dice to a d8 by way of giving you +1 HP per level so it's the more survival based Sorc for sure. It also gets the coolest drip since you get dragon scales matching your draconic bloodline (which even mixes well with Dragonborn PCs, so I'm told).

Storm Sorcerer gives you limited flight as a bonus action, which is fantastic mobility, but basically wants to funnel you into always doing Thunder and Lightning damage. There's a lot of good gear to help with this but it is probably the more technical of the two, even without factoring in the usual Tempest Cleric 2/Sorcerer X builds meant to invalidate large swaths of the game. That said, you can pull some barrelmancy in order to get the most out of it, but you probably also don't need to, either.

Basically which you'll prefer comes down largely to whether or not you want something to "just work" or you want to fiddle and tweak for maximum optimization.

Likewise, that's the case for the Wizard subclasses as well - the three major Wizard classes that are good in tabletop - Evocation, Abjuration, Divination - with some caveats (Shield doesn't build your Arcane Shield anymore because they buffed Arcane Shield to being so ludicrous that using Shield to keep it juiced is way too much to ask for). Necromancy can be very, very powerful but like Storm Sorcerer it's very much meant for the people who want to tinker and juice the subclass to its absolute limits.

Where can I find resources to figure out if I want to tinker/minmax or not.

Like every time I google "best bg3 draconic sorceror build" I get taken to various sites, some of which haven't been updated since early access and in almost all cases what defines an S tier class seems to vary or differ wildly by the person posting the information that I get confused.

I've spent more time theorycrafting what my optimal party should look like than I have actually playing the game.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
If I respec my wizard to another subclass, will I lose all the scribed scrolls I've found?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It should be noted that Sorcerers careful spell just makes you succeed the save so if it’s a half damage spell then you’re gonna get hit just for less.

Careful spell + a control spell and everyone is safe.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm on my first playthrough, and I'm about 25-30 hours in. I just left the under dark after finding the forge and beheading a drow for a mushroom. I killed the forge robot after a few tries , only to then realize I was likely supposed to use the giant forge hammer to kill it instead of bonking it to death. Oh well. I ended up forging the plate armor and shield. Seems pretty OP.

I killed another drow who summoned a giant eyeball that wrecked my face a few times until I was able to approach it better to not have my guys get melted the first turn. I got the last piece of an ice staff there that seems pretty good. Hilariously he dropped a memory shard that hinted at the forge location that I had just came from.

I ended up going back up via a mushroom circle teleporter thing, only to find the healer from the grove in a hut with a distressed pregnant woman? Further investigation will likely be required there.

Either way the under dark was amazing. I am level 5 and feel extremely op compared to when I went into the under dark.

Don't forget to hit up the mountain pass!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Sorcerer using twin spell with haste on a barbarian and fighter makes most fights stupid easy. Throw in a hold person spell for crits and it's just not fair.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kraftwerk posted:

Where can I find resources to figure out if I want to tinker/minmax or not.

Like every time I google "best bg3 draconic sorceror build" I get taken to various sites, some of which haven't been updated since early access and in almost all cases what defines an S tier class seems to vary or differ wildly by the person posting the information that I get confused.

I've spent more time theorycrafting what my optimal party should look like than I have actually playing the game.

There's no 'build generator' but everything that's current is on the BG3 Community Wiki.

Definitely use it over Fextralife or whatever SEO garbage google spits back out at you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You can also just respec between storm and draconic sorcerer to see how they feel.

Last I saw draconic is better early on just because it's tanky, but then storm takes over once you get create water at level 6 and goes mental at level 11+ tossing out quickened chain lightnings everywhere.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

chaosapiant posted:

I saw or read something along the lines of Evokers having options to nullify friendly fire; how does that work?

Evocation Wizards get a passive to “sculpt” their spells around friendly forces. I think it’s level 3? Note: this is only for evocation spells (I believe) and doesn’t consider side effects like “whoops I’ve just electrified all of the water in the room”. Your members are getting electrocuted for that

Also: neutrals can get hit. This will matter in late game fights

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

chaosapiant posted:

Once you reach level 2 you get a passive that automatically prevents allies from being damaged by spells. It's as simple as that.

DarkHorse posted:

If I respec my wizard to another subclass, will I lose all the scribed scrolls I've found?

Scribed spells are permanent as long as you have at least one level in Wizard. Whether or not you have the spell slots to use them depends on your build/level.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

That's good to know, thanks! I'm somewhere in the middle of ACT 3, but once I beat the game I want to do an evil Durge run as an Evoker/Sorcerer. So I'm looking forward to that.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Yeah, just hit 12 on my storm sorcerer and chain lightning absolutely demolishes stuff if you manage to line it up right.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You can also just respec between storm and draconic sorcerer to see how they feel.

Last I saw draconic is better early on just because it's tanky, but then storm takes over once you get create water at level 6 and goes mental at level 11+ tossing out quickened chain lightnings everywhere.

The free fly from storm is ridiculous. Yes you have options for fly, but flying all the time early on is very funny and pulls the teeth out of so many encounters.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

If all you wanna do is nuke and learn all the best spells to nuke and never have to worry about multi-classing or aiming then you can't go wrong with an Evocation Wizard.

Yep, this

I would also add that an evocation wizard (like any other wizard) can still cast haste, hold person, slow etc. Wizards are good!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Basically the game treats each player as their own mini party. Companions follow and are controlled by whichever player recruits them. Your friend should be able to dismiss his companions (ie tell them to wait in camp), and then you can pick them up. You still only get 4 people total, but you can split the companions however you want this way.

FYI this mini party system applies in some other ways that can be a little unintuitive. Like if you walk up and trigger a conversation that involves a particular companion, but said companion is under your friend's control, the game usually won't usually see them and trigger whatever special interactions they have.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can’t the host move the companions into whoever’s control? Whenever I join a friend’s game he spends a few seconds arranging that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm thinking my first character can be a Sorcerer but I'm unsure how to build them. I'm hearing a lot of arguments between Draconic and Storm sorceror builds and I'm unsure which to pick.

Storm sorcerer is pretty nifty. Just make sure you take damage spells other than lightning at various points. Magic missile is a good choice, for example. I'm sure you've already heard this, but it's true: it doesn't really matter what class you choose. You can absolutely win the game with any class, and you don't really have to pay much attention to how you level up NPCs, either.

More importantly, it's very easy to just re-spec your character/NPCs in camp, so make a character you think will be fun and have at it. If it turns out not to be fun, just visit Withers in camp and try another angle.

Edit: like a dead horse I am.

rojay fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 30, 2024