Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The thing I like about the OG Ghostbusters is the vibe, not the lore. The reboot, Afterlife, and this all seem to be a completely different vibe than the original(s). I don't care about the intricacies of the worldbuilding, just gimme more of the unique balance of tones the original had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ghostbusters peaks at the library scare. All downhill from there

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

remember the library ghost?
remember slimer?
remember janine being surly on the phone?
remember walter peck?
remember the ghostbusters song?

If they're in NYC yeah I want Janine and Slimer back, sorry nostalgia-haters. Library ghost and mini-Pufts can stay in the past, those make me worried Ghostbusters is going to be a rolling ball gathering up self-references until that's all it is.

A real unexpected turn-around would be to have Walter Peck as head of the EPA but to be completely on board with the Ghostbusters now; even be the one who called them to help. If they still want him to be pathetic, have him groveling for their aid.

I don't know, the trailer was a mixed bag of things I liked and things I didn't. Drone trap was cool.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

feedmyleg posted:

The thing I like about the OG Ghostbusters is the vibe, not the lore. The reboot, Afterlife, and this all seem to be a completely different vibe than the original(s). I don't care about the intricacies of the worldbuilding, just gimme more of the unique balance of tones the original had.

It's this yea but at some point the Fandom decided what they liked most was the proton packs and stuff that was onscreen for 4 minutes, the same way star wars became about lightsabers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It looks like they got rid of Podcast at least.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Ghostbusters movie is going to be good and I'm going to watch it in the theater.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hjlyknlTaw

This thing is a walking reference machine. Ehhhhhh.
I'll be happy when this franchise dies for good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
are they trying to hand wave that no one saw the stay puft destroy a bunch of new york because it wasnt on tape

stupid trailer got me didnt it

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Philthy posted:

are they trying to hand wave that no one saw the stay puft destroy a bunch of new york because it wasnt on tape

stupid trailer got me didnt it

Ghostbusters 2 already did the same thing and in both cases it's just wanting to not change the status quo from the first movie. It's lazy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

City garbagemen that handle spirits instead of trash is such a funny and amazingly vivid premise for a movie. I gather these sequels are about how IMPORTANT these dudes were? It was just their day job ffs.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm sorry I am just surprised someone actually liked Wonka.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snooze Cruise posted:

I'm sorry I am just surprised someone actually liked Wonka.

Wonka ended up being surprisingly well received. I know RT sucks, but 83% from critics and 91% from audiences is insane compared to what I was expecting from the original trailer. People really ended up liking it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thrawn527 posted:

Wonka ended up being surprisingly well received. I know RT sucks, but 83% from critics and 91% from audiences is insane compared to what I was expecting from the original trailer. People really ended up liking it.

But... but... the editing was really bad... and none of the songs were good... and timothee is not a good comedic actor and was out classed by everyone... what the!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snooze Cruise posted:

But... but... the editing was really bad... and none of the songs were good... and timothee is not a good comedic actor and was out classed by everyone... what the!

Welcome yourself to the 17% or 9%!!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hjlyknlTaw

This thing is a walking reference machine. Ehhhhhh.

I love that Ernie Hudson is the only legacy cast memeber who seems to be enjoying his time in these movies.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is there any franchise untouchable for reboots?

Forgot who said it, but nostalgia is the new currency.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The folks behind Back to the Future say that they won't allow a remake in their lifetimes, so that's something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

The folks behind Back to the Future say that they won't allow a remake in their lifetimes, so that's something.

God love 'em.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe there are some fans out there that disagree but I don't really see the point. The time machine was dope but you don't need a tricked-out sportscar to make a brand new movie about trying to get your parents to bang.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Lobok posted:

you don't need

When has “need” ever come into the equation with these things?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

toggle posted:

Is there any franchise untouchable for reboots?

Forgot who said it, but nostalgia is the new currency.

The Last Starfighter. Though the last thing I saw was Gary Whitta's concept reel for The Last Starfighters a few years ago, so I dunno what's happening with that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love that movie so much.

I kind of can't believe someone did try to make a special edition out of it. Let it stay as a memory of those first CGI graphics

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Mark my words, the minute they are all dead, a remake will be greenlit and the DeLorean will be replaced with a Tesla.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still no Gremlins 3.

We could be up to gremlins 6 or gremlins 7

Instead we got covid and 9/11

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrandpaPants posted:

It looks like they got rid of Podcast at least.

He’s there

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

Mark my words, the minute they are all dead, a remake will be greenlit and the DeLorean will be replaced with a Tesla.

Yeah, as much as I love them, the Bobs have to die at some point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AceOfFlames posted:

It has to be a cybertruck so that we keep the stainless steel tradition

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steve Yun posted:

It has to be a cybertruck so that we keep the stainless steel tradition

Perfect. It doesn't even have to travel through time to start fires.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

perfect to end up in 1692 and not have enough battery to get back home

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They should remake movies with great premises but terrible/bad execution. Like remake In Time. or Tomorrowland (Brad Bird betrayed us). Sliding Doors ( I actually like this movie but it could be so much better).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
remake surf ninjas

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BlueBayou posted:

They should remake movies with great premises but terrible/bad execution. Like remake In Time. or Tomorrowland (Brad Bird betrayed us). Sliding Doors ( I actually like this movie but it could be so much better).

Cocaine Bear

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This looks very silly fun. But I guess they couldn't make an action-filled romp of the ministry's more well-known Operation Mincemeat.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think I’m over trailers doing the “syncing up the action with the music in an over-the-top way” thing

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

I think I’m over trailers doing the “syncing up the action with the music in an over-the-top way” thing

Counterpoint, the Monkey Man trailer ruled. But that was an obscenely good example of an action trailer and most don't do it well.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
new Guy Ritchie... seems like a good movie for a flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwDen1Wrx8

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I guess at this point Guy Richie can just crank out these big budget B+ action and crime movies in his sleep huh?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've watched the Monkey Man trailer so many times at this point lmao

poo poo slaps. I showed my brother and he's like, yeah day one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nybble posted:

its the best way to do a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is the TV spot we did for the AFC Championship game in case you didn't catch it. Honestly everything we try on this film works.

https://twitter.com/monkeymanmovie/status/1751718067745521701