Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I've even made lovely hollow plastic nuts functional with enough pencil

I have some nut files on the way too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
paul gilbert tore it up on the beato show hooooooo

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

paul gilbert tore it up on the beato show hooooooo

Hell yes.

The Italian kid with his string mute just didn't do it for me at all, Paul Gilbert is a legit monster.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Beato's extremely a dork and Gilbert's pretty much only ever made terrible music but I gotta say he's a very engaging and likable dude.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Beato's extremely a dork and Gilbert's pretty much only ever made terrible music but I gotta say he's a very engaging and likable dude.

You misspelled Steve Vai.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly Vai is a pretty cringe dude overall but as far as I know he's not a piece of poo poo and he has the chops even if his music is exceptionally embarrassing.

He's fine but I wouldn't wanna hang out with him.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gilbert's pretty much only ever made terrible music

What is it like to be so incredibly wrong about something?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Modal Auxiliary posted:

What is it like to be so incredibly wrong about something?

Why don’t you enlighten us? :grin:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the dio thing was cool

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Why don’t you enlighten us? :grin:

For traditional Gilbert-style hard rock/metal my favorites are "The Gargoyle" and "Fuzz Universe." "Viking Kong" by Racer X is a good one too.

For acoustic singer-songwriter stuff I like "Three Times Rana" or "Black Raincloud" from his acoustic album.

For goofy pop-rock I like "Attitude Boy Will Overcome" or "My Religion."

His cover of the Spice Girl's "2 Become 1" is super fun, as are most of his classical arrangements.

Dude has a tremendous amount of stylistic range but always seems to be having an absolute blast. He exudes joy and love of music in every song. I like him a lot even if I don't listen to him a ton.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Modal Auxiliary posted:

For traditional Gilbert-style hard rock/metal my favorites are "The Gargoyle" and "Fuzz Universe." "Viking Kong" by Racer X is a good one too.

For acoustic singer-songwriter stuff I like "Three Times Rana" or "Black Raincloud" from his acoustic album.

For goofy pop-rock I like "Attitude Boy Will Overcome" or "My Religion."

His cover of the Spice Girl's "2 Become 1" is super fun, as are most of his classical arrangements.

Dude has a tremendous amount of stylistic range but always seems to be having an absolute blast. He exudes joy and love of music in every song. I like him a lot even if I don't listen to him a ton.

Don’t forget the Curse of Castle Dragon.

If you don’t enjoy something by Paul Gilbert, you don’t enjoy fun. Dude just loves to play guitar.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I didn't know who Paul Gilbert was until he was referenced on this page, but I watched the video and I wanna get a beer with that dude

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Paul release a thrash album.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Paul release a disco gospel punk album

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

mr gilbert, explain this

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s like people who earnestly listen to weird al as music instead of novelty. I will never understand it but it’s fine and people are made happy by it.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
makita lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think Gilbert is an amazing guitarist, and he's written some rad tunes, but I've never felt compelled to sit down and listen to an album by him. And when I do hear more than a couple songs I tend to tune it out. He's amazing at what he does, but "music for musicians" doesn't hold my interest, and that's okay, plenty of other people love it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

vai has never seemed interesting to me at all but i heard him say in a vid once that if you're playing guitar correctly your movements will be fluid and look good like when you're watching someone more experienced play guitar

and that actually really stuck with me and is super useful

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Someone posted a video of an old guitar lesson where a woman describes the art of perfecting the hand movement slowly to build muscle memory. I've really slowed down my practice and playing since then in order to get it actually correct and sounding nice l. It has been a game changer.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think it'd be kind of silly to ever say Gilbert, Vai, etc etc aren't good players, even if you don't care for their music. And they're right, if you want to play harder, more complicated and faster things the goal is efficiency. Minimising how much movement you're making and how much energy you're spending to do things is the move.

Practice slowly and practice perfectly. Trying to practice something quickly and reinforcing poor or inefficient techniques is just gonna hurt you in the long run.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I can't figure out the setup on this floating strat-tremolo. It's a Gotoh 510 iirc.

Should it be balanced so it's parallel with the body of the guitar?
Does it make any difference if it's lowered into the body or is it better if it's flush with surface?
Any advice?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
hello guitar thread

i found this guitar on the side of the road as part of a public junk swap/council rubbish collection service we do here every year

ive always wanted a guitar to strum on and maybe learn a chord or two but never badly enough to spend any real money on

this thing appears to have half nylon strings and half steel, and the lowest (?) steel string is all twanged out (see headstock pic), so I have a couple of questions;

- Is this thing supposed to have 2 different kinds of strings on it?
- Does anything about this guitar strike you as something that ~20 bucks worth of new strings won't fix?
- Is string replacement easy enough for a dummy with youtube?
- I gave it a once over with kitchen cleaner but its still pretty gross. Is there a better household cleaning solution?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Neural never showed up to NAMM lmao, they just spent several tens of thousands of dollars a day to have a big "SOON" display in the middle of the convention centre.

What a brilliant bit of shitposting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

maxe posted:

hello guitar thread

i found this guitar on the side of the road as part of a public junk swap/council rubbish collection service we do here every year

ive always wanted a guitar to strum on and maybe learn a chord or two but never badly enough to spend any real money on

this thing appears to have half nylon strings and half steel, and the lowest (?) steel string is all twanged out (see headstock pic), so I have a couple of questions;

- Is this thing supposed to have 2 different kinds of strings on it?
- Does anything about this guitar strike you as something that ~20 bucks worth of new strings won't fix?
- Is string replacement easy enough for a dummy with youtube?
- I gave it a once over with kitchen cleaner but its still pretty gross. Is there a better household cleaning solution?

If you can get that cleaned up, yeah! It's a totally fine classical guitar. That style of guitar uses nylon/classical strings. Don't buy steel strings for it, you will break it. The lower three strings are actually silk threads wound with some kind of metal, they're not steel strings. That's what you'll get when you buy a new set.

Getting new nylon strings on isn't too hard. I find the trickiest bit is holding the tie at the headstock taught while also tightening the string. But don't worry too much, you'll get it.

I like Taylor's guide https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/strings/changing-nylon-strings

Good find! Have fun.

E: For cleaning, I would take the old strings off, then go at it in sections with a damp, gentle sponge with a drop of dish soap, until the sponge stops coming away dirty. There's a lot of gunk caked on there. Maybe use a toothpick to get in the corners. Avoid getting the inside wet, and dry it quickly. Maybe others have better ideas.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 30, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Quizzlefish posted:

Someone posted a video of an old guitar lesson where a woman describes the art of perfecting the hand movement slowly to build muscle memory. I've really slowed down my practice and playing since then in order to get it actually correct and sounding nice l. It has been a game changer.

I was learning crystal mountain by Death and the ability to slow things down in guitar pro was clutch for learning that ascending riff at the chorus. Using the same method for learning children of bodom solos is helping but drat I'm bad at lead guitar.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pondex posted:

I can't figure out the setup on this floating strat-tremolo. It's a Gotoh 510 iirc.

Should it be balanced so it's parallel with the body of the guitar?
Does it make any difference if it's lowered into the body or is it better if it's flush with surface?
Any advice?

Some like a little float like you’ve got, some crank it down for some extra stability. I think up to 1/8” is within spec. It’s more a matter of taste than anything though. Flutters are cool, but I palm mute more often, so err toward a flat bridge.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kazinsal posted:

Neural never showed up to NAMM lmao, they just spent several tens of thousands of dollars a day to have a big "SOON" display in the middle of the convention centre.

What a brilliant bit of shitposting.

They spent a shitload last April on their booth, probably realized NAMM isn’t that useful but they are eternally afraid if you forget who they are for even a second they will die.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was learning crystal mountain by Death and the ability to slow things down in guitar pro was clutch for learning that ascending riff at the chorus. Using the same method for learning children of bodom solos is helping but drat I'm bad at lead guitar.

I think you've mentioned learning that song before. It's one I know and also an example of me learning something wrong and having to go back and unlearn it. I practiced that little lead part in the intro riff with some pretty poor fingering which lead to me sliding into notes or getting tangled up so I've been trying to relearn it with better finger positions. It's really hard to break muscle memory once it's ingrained. Much better to be thoughtful about how you're learning a song/technique from the beginning.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I think you've mentioned learning that song before. It's one I know and also an example of me learning something wrong and having to go back and unlearn it. I practiced that little lead part in the intro riff with some pretty poor fingering which lead to me sliding into notes or getting tangled up so I've been trying to relearn it with better finger positions. It's really hard to break muscle memory once it's ingrained. Much better to be thoughtful about how you're learning a song/technique from the beginning.

The tab I was looking at had that riff as on the b-g-d strings and I experimented with it all in the nice box pattern at the 7th fret and starting on the e string. Then I listened closer to the song and really think it's like the tab version as there's a slide into the last note on the g string each time in the pattern. Pretty much that riff and the chorus thing were the only parts I needed to break out and see what was going on.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the thing i had to relearn was the chorus riff. the original tab i looked at was like this:

code:
D|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|
A|---------------------------|-----------------------12--|--13-12--------------------|---------------------------|
F|---------------------------|--------------14----14-----|--------14----14-----------|---------------------------|
C|-----------12-14----12-----|-----12-14-15----15--------|-----------15----15-14-12--|--14-15-14-12-------12-----|
G|--12-14-15-------15----14--|--15-----------------------|---------------------------|--------------14-15----14--|
D|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|
coming up and hitting the 12-13-12 on the a string was awkward to mute and always hard to get to sound clean, so i started doing a slide from 12->14 on the c string and playing that part of the riff on the f string, like this:

code:
A|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|---------------------------|
F|---------------------------|--------------14----14-16--|--17-16-14----14-----------|---------------------------|
C|-----------12-14----12-----|-----12s14-15----15--------|-----------15----15-14s12--|--14-15-14-12-------12-----|
G|--12-14-15-------15----14--|--15-----------------------|---------------------------|--------------14-15----14--|
it's way easier to play it clean this way, in my experience. also i pulled up a video of death to all and bobby koelble looks like he's playing it the second way and i figured he'd know lol.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 30, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm a mutant and do that riff one finger per string in the top tab because my warmup routine includes one finger per string doing thirds in each CAGED block position so my hands can do that. But any C shape arpeggio in bodom songs is making my hands hurt at those speeds

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

but yeah in general being able to slow things down in guitar pro (or in my case, tuxguitar, cause it's free and does the job) is incredibly clutch for learning songs

i'm slowly working on learning wings of serenity by falconer right now and the one guitar pro tab that exists of it is pretty good. i mentally changed some fingerings and chord positions so they're easier but the important bit is the backing track and speed adjustments. i can play the three riffs that are hard enough to give me trouble at about 75-80% of full speed cleanly right now, and i just work on adding a couple of percent a night until i hit 100%.

my process for doing that is usually playing around with each riff or bar of a lead section until i can play the entire song at about 50% speed cleanly, then trying to ramp it up to 70-80% clean quickly. once i get there i just make a practice session item where i'll play it like 70-71-72% or 80-81-82% and note the highest speed i can play it cleanly, and start from there the next session. if i can't hit it clean, i drop 5% and start from there. it is a slow, monotonous grind doing this, but if you are diligent you can learn to play songs at the edge of your ability at speed and cleanly in a couple of weeks.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
My nephew is turning 14 and he's been learning to play. He's got a guitar and an amp already, I was thinking I'd get him a pedal so he could start to learn to use other equipment. Was wondering if the goons here had any recs for a good starting effects pedal?

His musical interests go over the map, he's been sending me clips of slayer and mastodon because I know I listen to metal but his first concert was the Grateful Dead concert this past spring/summer and the last thing he said he learned was a Sublime song, so it wouldn't have to be metal-centered.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A wah is the best first pedal. Get him a crybaby amd let him learn the joy of making weird sounds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Listerine posted:

My nephew is turning 14 and he's been learning to play. He's got a guitar and an amp already, I was thinking I'd get him a pedal so he could start to learn to use other equipment. Was wondering if the goons here had any recs for a good starting effects pedal?

His musical interests go over the map, he's been sending me clips of slayer and mastodon because I know I listen to metal but his first concert was the Grateful Dead concert this past spring/summer and the last thing he said he learned was a Sublime song, so it wouldn't have to be metal-centered.

boss katana and a usb cable

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Spanish Manlove posted:

boss katana and a usb cable

When I skimmed the OP, I saw the Boss Katana listed as the rec for an amp; he's already got an amp, so am I missing something? does that product do anything else?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Listerine posted:

When I skimmed the OP, I saw the Boss Katana listed as the rec for an amp; he's already got an amp, so am I missing something? does that product do anything else?

It's a stupid joke about that amp having every pedal they would ever want built into the amp, making pedals somewhat outdated.

The most useful of pedals that will never go out of style is a tuner or a noise reducer

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Listerine posted:

The katana is a modeling amp with built-in effects that basically work like a virtual pedalboard and a software pkg that lets you futz with them. However it requires an external $150 footswitch for best pedalboard simulation.

If he likes the amp he’s got I might look at something like a BOSS ME90 (still pricey at $350, but it’s basically a virtual pedalboard in a box) or used/closeout ME80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That does kinda raise the question - does he have a modeling amp already?

If not something like a cheap multi effects pedal (Behringer FX600) isn't a bad start.