Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1751969320828104723?s=20
Here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, and Ramius says his books are terrible, saying his conclusions are all wrong.

Baldwin was a good Jack Ryan, too, and the most "book accurate", if that part matters to you at all. Even if he's apparently bad at writing his own books. Red October is a great movie.

Baldwin wasn't bad, that's true.

Matt Damon and the doofus from the office are just so bad, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is anyone else watching Expats? Lulu Wang is directing the absolute living poo poo out of her script. It's not just that it looks gorgeous (it does look pretty good) but also the construction of scenes feels a step above a lot of other television. I've only seen the first episode but I'm a fan.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

IRQ posted:

Baldwin wasn't bad, that's true.

Matt Damon and the doofus from the office are just so bad, though.

lol I think you mean Ben Affleck?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I could go for a H. Jon Benjamin Jack Ryan. One episode/film he plays it as Archer Jack Ryan. The next he does Bob from Bob's Burgers Jack Ryan. And finally he does something new entirely that's nothing like the books or previous movies but is actually more toned down and serious.

Speaking of silly things, when I want to start a new show I sometimes watch the opening to SE03 EP01 of Weeds. It gets me pumped up and also gives me a standard I should measure against.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

EricBauman posted:

lol I think you mean Ben Affleck?

Lol I can't tell them apart apparently, I know they don't even look the same. One of them was Batman too, and I genuinely couldn't tell you which.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Every time someone posts in the Severance thread I expect it will be a notice that she second season has been cancelled, so this is good to see.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

Every time someone posts in the Severance thread I expect it will be a notice that she second season has been cancelled, so this is good to see.

Still plenty of time between the moment the show finishes post-production and the moment it’s supposed to air.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, and Ramius says his books are terrible, saying his conclusions are all wrong.

Baldwin was a good Jack Ryan, too, and the most "book accurate", if that part matters to you at all. Even if he's apparently bad at writing his own books. Red October is a great movie.

Somethings don't react well to bullet. Yah, stunt performers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bright Bart posted:

I listen to more touching stories every week irl

That must be exhausting

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

IRQ posted:

Lol I can't tell them apart apparently, I know they don't even look the same. One of them was Batman too, and I genuinely couldn't tell you which.

Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo. Matt Damon was the one who played Jason Bourne, famous for using the music from The Genius tv series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Of the Jacks I think Skellington is still the most powerful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bagrada posted:

Ben Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo. Matt Damon was the one who played Jason Bourne, famous for using the music from The Genius tv series.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Khanstant posted:

Of the Jacks I think Skellington is still the most powerful.

Its clearly Donaghy. Are we doing this? Are we having a good old fashioned Jack Off right now?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Did no one watch the Chris Pine Jack Ryan movie or have we all collectively agreed to pretend it didn't exist since it's so incredibly dire?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I promise you I don't actually remember any Jack Ryans and would never watch them. I've done my part.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I promise you I don't actually remember any Jack Ryans and would never watch them. I've done my part.
I have seen various Jacks Ryan and I also don't remember any of them

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't trust anyone with two first names.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the first two episodes of In the Know, the new partly stop-motion, partly live-action NPR talk show parody on Peacock, and thought it was pretty good so far. Zach Woods is great in the segments where he interviews real-life people as his NPR persona. For context, I did have a mother who would play NPR constantly and as an eight year old I got super excited to listen to Prairie Home Companion during car rides, so that maybe makes me a bit predisposed to be its target audience, but I think even if you've never heard a single episode of Car Talk or Wait Wait, you would still find it funny.

Sirotan posted:

Did no one watch the Chris Pine Jack Ryan movie or have we all collectively agreed to pretend it didn't exist since it's so incredibly dire?

It is kind of funny that Kenneth Branagh clearly just recycled his Russian villain character from that movie for Tenet.

On a Branagh tangent, my wife was watching the Harry Potter movie he did in the background, and I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Don't trust anyone with two first names.

drat straight, they’re often Facebook scammers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EricBauman posted:

Jack Ryan is also a history professor, but only the Harrison Ford version, not the four others

The Jack Ryan franchise is really weird. It feel like a bootleg of the James Bond franchise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bright Bart posted:

That scene that everyone says makes the show a masterpiece from that point onwards? Where he breaks down and finally talks about his brother? How he loved and hated him? Is glad to be rid of the mess he makes in everybody's life but would give anything to have him back?

I watched it. It's fine. Maybe more than fine. And I obviously missed the build-up and context. But I've seen better. I listen to more touching stories every week irl

Please tell everyone here your favorite show so we can watch it in the dumbest way possible

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sirotan posted:

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot that movie existed. And no, I never saw it. From the trailers, it just looked like a generic action movie, not a Jack Ryan movie at all, and from what I understand, wasn't based on any book. I also haven't bothered with the Amazon show, because it also looks boring as hell.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tia Carrere

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tia & Tamera, when the walls fell

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

From the trailers, it just looked like a generic action movie

Is that not what the books are? I've always assumed they're the epitome of bland airport fiction

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched the first two episodes of In the Know, the new partly stop-motion, partly live-action NPR talk show parody on Peacock, and thought it was pretty good so far. Zach Woods is great in the segments where he interviews real-life people as his NPR persona. For context, I did have a mother who would play NPR constantly and as an eight year old I got super excited to listen to Prairie Home Companion during car rides, so that maybe makes me a bit predisposed to be its target audience, but I think even if you've never heard a single episode of Car Talk or Wait Wait, you would still find it funny.

Thanks for this rec, checking it out. Garbage rear end peacock site doesn't feature it at all, had to go type it in to find it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Is that not what the books are? I've always assumed they're the epitome of bland airport fiction

They're mostly espionage and very low on action. In the early ones (except Patriot Games), Jack Ryan isn't even really THE main character, just a connective tissue. They're quite slow, and not in a bad way (again, the early ones, the later books are terrible). I think Clear and Present Danger comes the closest to nailing the tone of the books, though it is definitely more actiony and about Jack Ryan than most books. But even there, one of the most tense scenes is Jack Ryan trying to print a file before someone else can delete it.

In the early books most of the movies are based on, he really is an analyst doing an analyst job, and other people do the hard work, until he has to. (I mean, he eventually becomes President after someone flies a plane into the Capitol Building and he's the designated survivor. And this book came out before 9/11, so way to go, Tom Clancy. That book series got wild after a while.)

Rainbow Six is the dumb action book. And Jack Ryan isn't in that one, just a couple characters from Clear and Present Danger.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

On a Branagh tangent, my wife was watching the Harry Potter movie he did in the background, and I honestly think Gilderoy Lockhart is Branagh's best role.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thrawn527 posted:

They're mostly espionage and very low on action. In the early ones (except Patriot Games), Jack Ryan isn't even really THE main character, just a connective tissue. They're quite slow, and not in a bad way (again, the early ones, the later books are terrible). I think Clear and Present Danger comes the closest to nailing the tone of the books, though it is definitely more actiony and about Jack Ryan than most books. But even there, one of the most tense scenes is Jack Ryan trying to print a file before someone else can delete it.

It's been forever since I've seen the film, but thinking about it, Sum of All Fears actually was a pretty good adaptation of the spirit of the book, despite changing just about everything about the plot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Harrison should come back for old man Jack Ryan.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

howe_sam posted:

It's been forever since I've seen the film, but thinking about it, Sum of All Fears actually was a pretty good adaptation of the spirit of the book, despite changing just about everything about the plot.

Yeah, the book was about terrorists and not Nazis, if I remember correctly, and had a huge subplot about Jack Ryan and his wife having a hard time conceiving which they thankfully cut out by making it be about a young Jack who was still dating, but was mostly in line. And the ending is resolved with a conversation, and not a huge action set piece, I think (I haven't seen it in forever).

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Sum of All Fears. Affleck's Ryan isn't really an action dude at all. Releasing it after 9/11 was wild.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

I liked Sum of All Fears. Affleck's Ryan isn't really an action dude at all. Releasing it after 9/11 was wild.

That's why they changed the villains from Middle Eastern terrorists (I forget which country, but I think they were Palestinian?) to Nazis. They figured making them Nazis would be way less topical.

Give it a few years, I guess.

But I remember liking the movie, too. The nuclear explosion scene was especially impactful. Movies usually defuse the bomb, but nope, they straight up nuked Baltimore. The movie was also where I went on my first date with who eventually became my wife. Thankfully she gave me a mulligan on date location choices.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 29, 2024

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thrawn527 posted:

That's why they changed the villains from Middle Eastern terrorists (I forget which country, but I think they were Palestinian?) to Nazis. They figured making them Nazis would be way less topical.

The bomb makers were Palestinians annoyed that Jack Ryan solved the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and bankrolled by Iran. I want to say there were other terrorists from like the Red Army Faction involved who were similarly mad that the West won the Cold War. The book is loving wild.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tom Clancy novels got progressively more insane as they went on. Eventually, Jack Ryan just gets to be president because Japan 9/11s the capitol building.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

IRQ posted:

Tom Clancy novels got progressively more insane as they went on. Eventually, Jack Ryan just gets to be president because Japan 9/11s the capitol building.

Yeah, and as I mentioned earlier, that book came out before 9/11. In 1994. Though I think it was one pilot for a Japanese airline acting alone, and not an official act by the country of Japan?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 29, 2024

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Japan is like full on attacking the US because their economy imploded, and got nukes. I forget how all that was the US's fault. That book was bananas.

Actually that all got resolved before the 9/11ing at the end of the book, so maybe you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IRQ posted:

Japan is like full on attacking the US because their economy imploded, and got nukes.

For a moment I thought this was the USPOL thread and was super confused and slightly worried.