Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm sure I already know the answer, but is there any possible legal recourse to this? Could all the people Embracer hosed over come together and get some kind of recompense out of them?

Depending of the country they were and the laws of each, some are already getting some 'recompense' for being fired.

edit: the brutal truth is, I think most of the studios that Embracer is closing down are the kind of studios that would have shut down on their own if they wouldn't have been bought two years ago by them. We are in times of consolidation and hyper competition in the industry. There are too many games, even if we limit ourselves to 'good' games, there are still too many of them!
Most of these studios are single A or AA studios, which were going already the way of the dodo since a decade ago, and lots of them had a last game that underperformed.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Depending of the country they were and the laws of each, some are already getting some 'recompense' for being fired.

Eidos Montreal, so they're getting okay but not great severance. They'll land okay but I'd be worried about getting another job with the current firing spree game development is on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Best we can hope for is that Embrace auctions off those IPs they clearly don't want to make games in, so a competent company can come in and do it. As it is, we'll very likely never see a conclusion to Jensen's story.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Can somebody give me a primer on what Embracer group is why they seemed to be in the process of destroying the European games industry?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Can somebody give me a primer on what Embracer group is why they seemed to be in the process of destroying the European games industry?

they thought they could just borrow a load of money and acquire a bunch of stuff at zero interest because they had a big cash infusion coming

then interest rates went up and the investment got cancelled, along with half the games industry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

khwarezm posted:

The Embracer business plan was basically:

-Take out loans
-Buy out as many game studios as they can
-Sell the huge bundle of game studios to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for more than the cost of the loans
-Walk away with a profit

But then the financial winds changed and the Saudis declined to buy, leaving Embracer with a huge pile of game studios and also a huge pile of debt. They're taking the axe to the former in hopes that it can make the latter go away or at least become smaller

Someone could theoretically buy them out of the remaining studios, but it would take an awful lot of money and there aren't a lot of players with that kind of money to spend and also that kind of faith in video games

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This feels like it should be illegal on some level. I know it isn't, but it feels like it should!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

The Embracer business plan was basically:

-Take out loans
-Buy out as many game studios as they can
-Sell the huge bundle of game studios to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for more than the cost of the loans
-Walk away with a profit

But then the financial winds changed and the Saudis declined to buy, leaving Embracer with a huge pile of game studios and also a huge pile of debt. They're taking the axe to the former in hopes that it can make the latter go away or at least become smaller

Someone could theoretically buy them out of the remaining studios, but it would take an awful lot of money and there aren't a lot of players with that kind of money to spend and also that kind of faith in video games

Is there a reference or something I can read about the Saudi company buyout stuff? That's the first I've heard of that piece.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a reference or something I can read about the Saudi company buyout stuff? That's the first I've heard of that piece.

This is the source Wikipedia used for that claim: https://www.axios.com/2023/08/14/saudi-arabia-savvy-games-embracer-group

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thanks for the link, that's good info. And really loving sad. gently caress the corpos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Turin Turambar posted:

edit: the brutal truth is, I think most of the studios that Embracer is closing down are the kind of studios that would have shut down on their own if they wouldn't have been bought two years ago by them. We are in times of consolidation and hyper competition in the industry. There are too many games, even if we limit ourselves to 'good' games, there are still too many of them!
Most of these studios are single A or AA studios, which were going already the way of the dodo since a decade ago, and lots of them had a last game that underperformed.

What's the difference between As and AAs anyway. I only have an inherent understanding of AAA due to idk, sports I guess?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the difference between As and AAs anyway. I only have an inherent understanding of AAA due to idk, sports I guess?

Budget. Some people say the main difference is production values, but if you think about it, that's only the main consequence of budget. if AAA games are the big tentpole titles with $200M budgets, then it's implicit that A or AA games are games of smaller budget and smaller teams, although they still try to play on the same arena as AAA games, they are not indie games.
A few examples: Darksiders 3, the last Saint Rows, Shadow Warrior 3, Greedfall, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Spec Ops the Line, Atlas Fallen, Fort Solis.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

catlord posted:

It is delightfully, aggressively '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA

This show irrevocably altered my brain chemistry as a kid. It was sick as hell. It's also really short.
The toys were pretty great looking too but I never managed to get any.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

:smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If its any consolation, it would have been poo poo especially if put next to Cyberpunk 2077 even if its a game which is thematically more similar to Planescape: Torment than Deus Ex.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1752026953799057715

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I didn’t know about this. Supposedly Quake was a character from their D&D game. I’d really like to see some artifacts from this game that apparently inspired daikatana as well.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Internet Old One posted:

I didn’t know about this. Supposedly Quake was a character from their D&D game. I’d really like to see some artifacts from this game that apparently inspired daikatana as well.

Someone might be able to correct me but I think Masters of Doom went into this a bit?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

shoeberto posted:

Someone might be able to correct me but I think Masters of Doom went into this a bit?

The book right? They talked about that D&D game a lot but I don’t recall mention of quake. It’s wild how much of everything they did revolved around that game.

The hilarious thing is that apparently Romero was offered the Daikatana in return for opening a gate to hell and he took it and a million demons came to earth and that was the end of the game and Carmack was very insistent on no backsies. You’re all dead everyone is dead, we need to do something completely different now. What a bunch of classic spergs.

It would not be the last time Romero was fooled by the power of the Daikatana.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sounds like Daikatana made Romero its bitch

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
did romero ever release a dog grooming sim? that would have advertised itself!

edit: also Balls of Steel, a pinball game notable mainly for featuring a Duke Nukem table, re-released on Steam today only without the Duke Nukem table because gently caress you

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

shoeberto posted:

Romero's own book certainly does. Quake was a character from their D&D games, and the game was meant to heavily revolve around Quake wielding a massive hammer.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

It was supposedly in pre-production and scheduled to start production sometime this year. Would they have contacted him at all during that stage?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Been doing a few runthroughs with gun bonsai lately and having fun. Current run is ultimate doom, chainsaw only, uv, with the level requirements scaled way down to make it actually possible for me (a scrub) and to get out my power fantasy kicks. I'm also using mapchange to keep my level across episodes.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I was directed here to ask about the game I'm trying to find.

It was a (I'm pretty sure) late 90's FPS game that had more of a story going on than other shooters. The game began in a mansion and slowly got more weird and surreal, there were journeys to other dimensions like a hellish place and an angelic place with I think voice acted pseudo-cutscenes. There was an LP of the game here, but that was years ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Darkest Auer posted:

I was directed here to ask about the game I'm trying to find.

It was a (I'm pretty sure) late 90's FPS game that had more of a story going on than other shooters. The game began in a mansion and slowly got more weird and surreal, there were journeys to other dimensions like a hellish place and an angelic place with I think voice acted pseudo-cutscenes. There was an LP of the game here, but that was years ago.

Realms of the Haunting? https://store.steampowered.com/app/292390/Realms_of_the_Haunting/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's also Clive Barker's Undying that sort of, but doesn't completely, fit that description.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Joke answer: MyHouse.wad

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Yes! It's this. Thank you so much!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

YouTuber who does a lot of stuff about solo indie game dev sat down with the man behind CULTIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEcFaymxr0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's the game at :23?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the game at :23?
Twisted Tower, the video maker's own game. Was announced at Realms Deep last year and is being published by what's left of 3D Realms.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

YouTuber who does a lot of stuff about solo indie game dev sat down with the man behind CULTIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEcFaymxr0

Oh cool, thanks for posting this :)

Also PC Gamer has a new article out: Doom is eternal: The immeasurable impact of gaming's greatest FPS

quote:

While primarily an expansive level pack using most of the same features and assets, Doom 2 does add some features that would be important in the series' history going forward. Most significant of these is the double-barrelled super shotgun, which according to Romero was added specifically because it could share the same number on the keyboard as the shotgun. "We didn't want to tie a new weapon to 8, because the 7 key already controlled our most brutal weapon, the BFG".

I don't remember hearing this before

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm playing eternal right now and honestly having the ss on a different key sucks so he's right

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
My dogs, I have both the original and remastered BioShock games, which are a better experience to play?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

crondaily posted:

My dogs, I have both the original and remastered BioShock games, which are a better experience to play?

I replayed Bioshock 1 and played (for the first time!) Bioshock 2 a few years ago using the remastered editions. Gameplay and art wise, remastered is fine and doesn’t really do much besides higher res textures and the like, so that’s good. Bioshock 2 remastered had a nasty habit of crashing on me fairly frequently, though with all things PC gaming who knows if it was my rig at the time or the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chaingun is the super pistol, chainsaw is the super fist, super shotgun is the super shotgun, bfg is the super plasma gun, where is my goddamn super rocket

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

crondaily posted:

Remasters for both 1 and 2 crashed on me multiple times an had weird audio issues. :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

crondaily posted:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I replayed Bioshock 1 and played (for the first time!) Bioshock 2 a few years ago using the remastered editions. Gameplay and art wise, remastered is fine and doesn’t really do much besides higher res textures and the like, so that’s good. Bioshock 2 remastered had a nasty habit of crashing on me fairly frequently, though with all things PC gaming who knows if it was my rig at the time or the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Remasters for both 1 and 2 crashed on me multiple times an had weird audio issues. :(

Yeah chiming in that I've played both remasters and found #2 to be particularly crash-happy. Save often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I started playing the remasters last year and they didn't seem to crash on me at all, but I guess I'm just lucky if everyone else has been having troubles.