Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the problem is that current fx work is driven by idiot executive that think they're a director and want to be able to change things at the last minute
sets, props and costumes would get in the way of their "vision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i know. it was the closest comparison i could reach for though
like, he's played Danny Ocean more often and more recently

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh man I forgot Frank Silva is the "Is it bullshit or not?" guy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Crow posted:

george clooney hasnt been in a batman movie since well before this came out

actually he appeared as batman in the post-credits stinger for The Flash, so reset the clock I guess

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
someone actually watched the flash?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

someone actually watched the flash?
sure, there was probably at least one person in the US who saw it because they mistakenly thought it was about indecent exposure or photography or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i watched it while i was sick with a cold. it honestly wasn't horrible. it wasn't *good* and i don't recommend it, but it was nowhere near as bad as i was expecting

this could also have been cold meds speaking tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it was fine, crazy old Keaton was fun, Supergirl was hot as gently caress, story was really stupid and the effects were fuckin bad and the ending was incredibly unsatisfying. two Ezras was 1.13 Ezras too many. the Nic Cage inside joke was good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey i just wanna remind you all that "last and first men" is really really rad and you should watch it

over the weekend i watched:
* michael clayton - pretty good
* this gun for hire - its framing and inversion of the normal protagonist/antagonist stuff made it stand out. the acting was so-so, the plot itself was fine-to-good, but the fact that it did something a bit new and interesting made it worth watching, even if otherwise it wouldn't have been anything special.
* wind river - very good
* hell or high water - it crossed the "good movie" threshold, but didn't wow me in any way

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
neat! https://cohost.org/mcc/post/178201-the-baseline-scene

the br2049er Interlinked scene was written by Gosling based on an actor's exercise

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Achmed Jones posted:

hey i just wanna remind you all that "last and first men" is really really rad and you should watch it

over the weekend i watched:
* michael clayton - pretty good
* this gun for hire - its framing and inversion of the normal protagonist/antagonist stuff made it stand out. the acting was so-so, the plot itself was fine-to-good, but the fact that it did something a bit new and interesting made it worth watching, even if otherwise it wouldn't have been anything special.
* wind river - very good
* hell or high water - it crossed the "good movie" threshold, but didn't wow me in any way

Olaf Stapledon rules and it is a shame that ~ is a lunatic

hard same re: hell or high water, was just talking about that the other day

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I didnt realize last and first men was a movie now, i remember really liking the book

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

* this gun for hire
its mostly notable for the first pairing for alan ladd and veronica lake, who would be cast in several more films together and had pretty good on-screen chemistry (although the real reason lake was cast opposite ladd was because at 4'11" she was one of the few actresses in hollywood who didnt tower over him lmao)

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Chris Knight posted:

the br2049er Interlinked scene was written by Gosling based on an actor's exercise

this was a fascinating insight, ty for posting it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chris Knight posted:

:0

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chris Knight posted:

neat insight about 2049, but idk if i can agree with this characterization of the first movie:

quote:

In the movies, the Voight-Kampf test "works", but it's based on different principles. In the movies the questions and answers do not matter; turtles do not matter. What matters is that the process of being asked the questions is unsettling and produces emotional responses. The questions no longer have cultural content (the questions are actually the same, but the culture in the movie is different), they're just creepy. The testee is monitored during question and answer and a computer tracks whether things like their pupil and throat movements match human regular. Someone aware of neuroatypicality will immediately identify the unfairness of assuming everyone has identical emotional responses or identical somatic responses to emotion, but the first movie (which, in my opinion, is simply not as good) hasn't thought very hard about that. The first movie does think the test is unfair, but for a different reason; the movie concludes the reason the test successfully identifies replicants is not because replicants are inhuman, or even because they are neuroatypical, but because they are children. Replicants are born in adult bodies and only accumulate two to four years of memories before getting "retired"; the "incorrect" responses are in fact simply a child's responses. The movie posits a replicant with implanted adult memories would pass a Voight-Kampff test. Fine, whatever.

i've seen all sorts of editions of blade runner and i'm not sure where she's getting this from. why would a replicant with adult memories pass the test? where is this even mentioned?

like, afaik, in the movie the point is that the test successfully identifies replicants, period, full stop, fine, whatever. i don't think they really analyze the reasoning behind why very much beyond what she mentions (by tracking physical responses). in fact, i had assumed the opposite — as replicants, they don't have the same emotional/physical responses to a helpless tortoise that an actual human would, because they're replicants that don't necessarily care about organic life

so i'm not seeing why an "adult" replicant would behave differently, or why it's characterized as unfair. or, again, where she's even getting that from. really it just reads like she's more pissed that the movie doesn't go into neuroatypical responses or whatever

e: which, to be fair to the movie, wasn't really on anyone's radar in the mainstream (and in the US, anyway) at the time it was made. unlike 2049

e2: i guess that unfairness stems from the assumption that sociopathic humans don't exist or that a replicant would always produce a sociopathic response? idk. either way the movie doesn't delve into this much at all, and i'm not sure that it's meant to withstand this kind of analysis anyway. despite being a thinky kinda movie, sometimes cool poo poo just happens on screen because it's cool

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 29, 2024

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Chris Knight posted:

very cool

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Beeftweeter posted:

neat insight about 2049, but idk if i can agree with this characterization of the first movie:

i've seen all sorts of editions of blade runner and i'm not sure where she's getting this from. why would a replicant with adult memories pass the test? where is this even mentioned?

the confirmed replicant with adult memories - Rachel - who takes the VK test does in fact fail. although Deckard requires more than the usual number of questions in order to get a conclusive result.
the corporation are working towards a goal of replicants who would be indistinguishable from human and so would pass. but they are not there yet.

faulty recollection on the part of the article's author?

that is interesting about the behind-the-scenes of BR2049 though.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

watched the 1938 adventures of robin hood with errol flynn last night

it was very good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Fool posted:

it was very good
do captain blood next

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FMguru posted:

do captain blood next

ivanhoe is next

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cerv posted:

the confirmed replicant with adult memories - Rachel - who takes the VK test does in fact fail. although Deckard requires more than the usual number of questions in order to get a conclusive result.
the corporation are working towards a goal of replicants who would be indistinguishable from human and so would pass. but they are not there yet.

faulty recollection on the part of the article's author?

right, that's what i was thinking too. so where is she getting this poo poo about them failing because they're supposedly child-like?

i feel like she's conflating the limited lifespan of the replicants with their actual maturity or something. like, nobody would argue that roy batty, leon, pris or any of the other replicants we see were child-like or should be treated like or considered to be children, mentally or (particularly) physically. they just have short lifespans

i'm not sure it's simply faulty recollection though. her analysis of 2049 is fine, she outright says she doesn't like blade runner much, and devotes most of her analysis of it towards its failings (to her). again, it reads like she's just mad that it's not the story she thinks it should have been

012924_3
Jan 30, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 30, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

012924_3 posted:

$10 Autists

turn on your monitor

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

turn on your monitor

they're probably closer to $10,000

012924_6
Jan 30, 2024
The empire is stuck in the 1960s mannnn

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
spend less on posting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

right, that's what i was thinking too. so where is she getting this poo poo about them failing because they're supposedly child-like?

i feel like she's conflating the limited lifespan of the replicants with their actual maturity or something. like, nobody would argue that roy batty, leon, pris or any of the other replicants we see were child-like or should be treated like or considered to be children, mentally or (particularly) physically. they just have short lifespans

i'm not sure it's simply faulty recollection though. her analysis of 2049 is fine, she outright says she doesn't like blade runner much, and devotes most of her analysis of it towards its failings (to her). again, it reads like she's just mad that it's not the story she thinks it should have been

child-like is wrong, but they're definitely less mature just in terms of behavior throughout the film. However, I dont think this is what is explicitly being tested for and is rather an artifact of their short lifespans and limited memories/experiences.

Nothing in the movie really explains the true technical nature of the Voight-Kampff and it is ultimately just a narrative tool that says if you pass this test, then you are human. The fact the Rachel's implanted memories allow her to frustrate the test suggests that theres something about our memories and experience that makes us human. Maturity is something that comes from that experience so its not totally wrong to imagine theres some aspect of maturity that the test detects, but theres nothing in the material to explicitly say this.

The real point of the Voight-Kampff and the source of the conflict in the film is that ultimately with better implanted memories or. more importantly, more time to experience and create memories naturally, replicants could pass the test and thus prove themselves human.

Its fun from a nerd standpoint to try to think about how this device might work, but ultimately it doesnt matter. It works and it doesnt matter how it works. The problem is that this person invented their own mechanism for the device and then complained that that mechanism is a bad idea. Shes complaining about a mechanism she invented outside of the film, so its kind of silly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
BR2049 rules though and is up there with Empire as one of the best sequels ever made

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I always thought it was weird how there was no simple conclusive test like a blood test or X-ray or whatever in BR, like why wouldn't Tyrell Corp include some genetic signature to ensure replicants wouldn't infiltrate human society? I know, it fits with the subtext and themes of the movie, but from a real world perspective it's weird.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
iirc in the first blades runner, the replicant animal (a snake iirc?) deckard tracks down has a makers mark or something on its scales. maybe it's supposed to imply that they can't do something like a genetic marker and it has to be physical for whatever reason. it would kinda fit with the idea of there being very little difference between humans and replicants. like, maybe the corps can't actually make them all that different than a 'natural' human because they've actually just figured out ways to grow humans really quickly.

i guess that wouldn't really fit with roy and co having the shortened lifespan in the original. it's fun to speculate though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
if the dirty secret is that they're just fast grown clones it makes some sense, but then they could still do some kind of hard to remove tag before giving them the breath of life (and in BR2049 they've done just that), but if the nexus 6 series are clones, why do they have this guy who claimed that he made their eyes?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

are you people implying that a ridley scott movie based on a phillip k dick novel wasn't perfectly thought through?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

it was very good

do men in tights next

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/joycecaroloates/status/1752143295503810805?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so yeah I didn't read most of that BR post, just skipped and scanned to the part about the actor's exercise because that's what I was interested in/how it was linked to when I saw it, and there seemed to be a hell of a lot of words about other things. looks like I picked the right tactic lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this frickin dusty rear end old bonebag

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

are you people implying that a ridley scott movie based on a phillip k dick novel wasn't perfectly thought through?

from conception to original release: just a huge line of cocaine

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

indigi posted:

this frickin dusty rear end old bonebag
lots of peolpe online were mad that there wasnt a big cthulu ending to season one but i think it was exactly right - the deep primeval evil is just rich monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Considering that she's posting this now, she may really just be complaining about season 4 kind of sucking