Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

genericnick posted:

Lol, completely forgot about that one. Did it turn out decent in the end?

Edit: pic is Callisto Protocol. Kinda mixed those up for some reason. That's also been two years already?

it was free on psplus and even that was too expensive since you still pay for the subscription

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also a lot of Arkane's problem as a studio was that other studios got better. The terrible enemy AI in Dishonored is a lot more excusable than the terrible enemy AI in Deathloop because there's 10 years in-between them and you would expect them to use some of those 10 years on improving the enemy behavior.

https://youtu.be/DknzLFEXxog?si=hRkEYIm8-ezQN71W

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ai in video games is always pretty terrible because it has to be good enough to fool the player but still dumb. apparently all that cool ai stuff in fear was heavily scripted. honestly i go back to the fear well because thats the last time an ai actually surprised me, cant even think of games with good ai that came out in the last 10 years

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Al! posted:

ai in video games is always pretty terrible because it has to be good enough to fool the player but still dumb. apparently all that cool ai stuff in fear was heavily scripted. honestly i go back to the fear well because thats the last time an ai actually surprised me, cant even think of games with good ai that came out in the last 10 years

It isn't heavily scripted, it's extremely reliant on the level design and audio to seem smart.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al! posted:

Here's my business idea - hire a bunch of people on Fiverr to control all the enemy units.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it's Death Loop that was a really good game from Arkane the makers of Dishonored that everyone got real weird about and decided it was unplayable garbage instead of a perfectly fine 7/10 game.

I agree that Death Loop was pretty good.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

death poop

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it isn't the best thing they've put out but Deathloop looks really cool. they got some talented artists over there.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 3 of infinite wealth. There's only one thing I'd like to say to the developers:

adjgigjfjg! thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

CaptainBeefart posted:

I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 3 of infinite wealth. There's only one thing I'd like to say to the developers:

adjgigjfjg! thankyouthankyouthankyou!

lol I wrapped those up earlier today

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Buck Wildman posted:

lol I wrapped those up earlier today

I had a lot more fun filling out the dating profile than I expected to lol

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

making this game commit suicide as meta commentary

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i just unlocked jobs + some other run around the city finding stuff minigame

i thought that the barracuda boss was kind of lame, they play up the organization so much but its like running into low level yakuza guys around town

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thinking of doing another low pass over kabuki-cho (the model for kamurocho) in maybe a dehavellind beaver this time in ms flight sim. tokyo harbor is a great place for float planes. hot dogging over and under bridges on the arakawa river like a dang miyazaki film

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Suicide squad update:
Still down. Nearly 1/6th of the $100 early access has been denied.

Pitcher Witcher
Jan 13, 2020

https://youtu.be/-Mc3SA9sKGU?si=kpreTluqu22GtTz4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Suicide squad update:
Still down. Nearly 1/6th of the $100 early access has been denied.

good

Itll be very funny if gamers that dropped $100 on a zaslav production don’t get any early access

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

drat guy should've been on the rugby team

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Super Mario is a Christian

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stealth games in general have lost their way imo and just become action games with optional waiting in a corner here and there to make things easier sometimes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im really steamed they killed another deuce ecks!!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cuttlefush posted:

if a game has too much dlc it's okay to just download it

Yeah, I did that with Tropico 6. I'm just... I've already given Kalipso enough money, they do not need or deserve more of it.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Y8 start of chapter 4 now I feel bad whenever I bump into kiryu :( . hope that plotline is resolved by kiryu somehow tiger dropping cancer

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xaris posted:

good

Itll be very funny if gamers that dropped $100 on a zaslav production don’t get any early access

he shelved the early access code for a tax write-off and didnt tell the devs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Did Lies of P get nerfed to like 1/10th as hard as it was at launch, or did a full playthrough of Sekiro between then and now make me a good gamer? Parade Master was super awkward and kicked my rear end but I just stomped his poo poo in lol

edit - I'm definitely missing Sekiro's extremely generous parry window but the rally makes up for it mostly

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Zhao feels a bit like a Chinese Majima a bit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Did Lies of P get nerfed to like 1/10th as hard as it was at launch, or did a full playthrough of Sekiro between then and now make me a good gamer? Parade Master was super awkward and kicked my rear end but I just stomped his poo poo in lol

edit - I'm definitely missing Sekiro's extremely generous parry window but the rally makes up for it mostly

It's definitely had the difficulty scaled back across a couple of patches, so I'm thinking a little of column A, a little of column B in your case.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

it's both. sekiro helped you inch closer to gaming apotheosis, but lies of p did have the parry window lengthened, a few mobs made weaker, and rolling out of knockdowns available by default rather than an acquired ability in post-release patches

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

It isn't heavily scripted, it's extremely reliant on the level design and audio to seem smart.

It's like Thief being described as having amazing stealth when developers said "nah our stealth was super forgiving, we just gave the player a lot of feedback".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ichiban you complete dumbass.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ichiban you complete dumbass.

we love him anyway

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

yeah clever scripting makes games feel better and fun to play. Most players wouldn't actually want 'good ai' because it'd feel bad.

If you want actual good ai that feels a bit like fighting human players then stalker with the G.a.m.m.a mod is pretty cool for that. The ai tries to flank, knows not to keep popping out from the same place and even does little side step out/shoot/sidestep back into cover, just like a human would. I've had some pretty tense fire fights in this game that were really cool without being quite as chaotic and abstract as the 300m firefights you'd get in a game like ARMA or squad

also makes you really appreciate having a laser sight

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lostconfused posted:

It's like Thief being described as having amazing stealth when developers said "nah our stealth was super forgiving, we just gave the player a lot of feedback".

one of the funniest youtube comments is on some dude's video essay manifesto about how modern game design is poo poo and the old devs were true geniuses and used thief as an example. one of the original devs left a comment basically saying that they had no idea what they were doing at any point and a lot of the things he said were genius moves of subtlety were them running out of money or time

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Jan 30, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CaptainBeefart posted:

I had a lot more fun filling out the dating profile than I expected to lol

I like that this game teaches you to just lie about yourself

Edit: Also how it ends with the woman (or is she???) starting to leave, at which point Ichiban just spams a bunch of messages super fast like "I REALLY LIKE YOU, PLEASE LETS MEET, I THINK WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FreakInASheet/status/1751846246019707257?s=20

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

it's both. sekiro helped you inch closer to gaming apotheosis, but lies of p did have the parry window lengthened, a few mobs made weaker, and rolling out of knockdowns available by default rather than an acquired ability in post-release patches

TBH everything feels pretty much similar except I can actually land charged heavies with big rear end weapons now, and my brain and hands can get on the same page when seeing attacks incoming. If it's because the telegraphing was dogshit before but solid now I couldn't say, but the heavy weapons feeling better is definitely something that got changed.

That isn't to say I'm perfect blocking everything, or even many things, but provided you just stay mega aggressive things tend to work out thanks to the rally. Holding L1 and then tapping to block doesn't seem to work as well here, but it's still better to block than get hit directly in the face.

We'll see if the walls come crashing down soon, I'm not even to the first real boss yet

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also it's got FSR2 and is really well optimized besides so it runs and looks incredible on my legion go

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

I played at launch and I would say around the 1/3rd - 1/2 mark or so the difficulty definitely kicks up, the first 1/3rd was pretty much a relative breeze. I got hard stuck there for awhile, almost gave up but they released a patch that nerfed the boss I was stuck on, and then i moved onward to the finish line. But also yes, they did have some post-launch nerfs to some bosses (particularly the 1/3rd mark boss and some others), longer parry, some other rando mob nerfs, and stuff. nothing too major but enough to cut some of the difficulty edge off I'm sure.

but yes the game does let you play a lot of different ways. big smashy smash, or thin twinkster pencil-dick katana parry master build, or just face-tanking with heavy block. its kinda like what if sekiro had builds, but not as precise

dont know about the beta->launch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

that's how you make good stealth lol