Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Discendo Vox posted:

Which protest group was this? What should we know to evaluate the twitter account "HalalFlow" as a source?

https://twitter.com/codepink/status/1752008235429572957

Sorry, it was from in October so not something extremely recent. Appears to be resurfacing because of her FBI remarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Seems like a good general reminder to try a quick google before taking anything from a random Twitter account as gospel. Especially if they are providing no additional context or links.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Young Freud posted:

Like every tragedy, 10/7 has it's Truthers. I think the common conspiracy theory is that Netanyahu, since Israeli intel has been given warning that Hamas was going to attack, let it happen and even had the festival's location changed to add to the casualties.

I think it is simultaneously true that conspiratorial thinking vastly oversimplifies things or boils down every problem into a few bad actors (or ethnic groups) but the poo poo-flaked kernel of truth in the pile of poo poo and nonsense that is most conspiracy theories is that complex systems of humans naturally adapt, evolve, and produce outcomes to protect and advance themselves without requiring any individual power broker or cog to actually understand or conspire.

Because sure is awfully convenient how things like 9/11 or 10/7 happen for the elite in the United States or the settler faction of Israel when both were facing serious political and economic crises and needed popular legitimacy while also justifying military action to take control of valuable land and natural resources.

One of the best examples for this for me was about one week after after Amlo started a project to refine far more oil and gas rather than sell raw extracts to the US on the cheap to then have to buy back the refined fuel, and maybe even nationalizing foreign owned refineries. All of a sudden every wonk and American journalist in every establishment paper was obsessed with some sort of minor political shenanigan and calling him a dictator. I doubt oil companies and refinery owners decided to call up the CIA to call up the editor of the Atlantic. But I’m sure it filtered from person to person without anyone pulling the string or the journalists seeing the role they were playing in laying the groundwork to justify some sort of intervention.

Then the whole thing was dropped when it became clear he wasn’t that radical or as dangerous to American extractive industry capital interests as they feared so the tone and characterization of him in news reverts back to talking about him like any other head of state.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Because sure is awfully convenient how things like 9/11 or 10/7 happen for the elite in the United States or the settler faction of Israel when both were facing serious political and economic crises and needed popular legitimacy while also justifying military action to take control of valuable land and natural resources.

My dude, please reexamine your priors if they lead you to unironically start "just asking questions" about whether 9/11 was an inside job.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like a good general reminder to try a quick google before taking anything from a random Twitter account as gospel. Especially if they are providing no additional context or links.

Especially if it has a blue check, which means it can get paid for posting whatever gets the most clicks.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The tweet didn't claim it was from today, the goon that posted it did.

In conclusion: don't trust goons.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

No information on specifics, but the House just announced that the DOJ has subpoenaed the sergeant at arms for information related to an investigation.

I can't think of anything that is a likely answer off the top of my head.

It is probably something random or unknown. The other long-shot candidates would be something related to Matt Gaetz or January 6th prosecutions.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752047801695891880

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

The tweet didn't claim it was from today, the goon that posted it did.

In conclusion: don't trust goons.

The account was obviously posting 4-month old clips with misleading context today specifically to trick poor goons and Glenn Greenwald, though.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1752039356062130556

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

No information on specifics, but the House just announced that the DOJ has subpoenaed the sergeant at arms for information related to an investigation.

I can't think of anything that is a likely answer off the top of my head.

It is probably something random or unknown. The other long-shot candidates would be something related to Matt Gaetz or January 6th prosecutions.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1752047801695891880

I assume its gaetz though less about pedo and more about january 6th.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Ah. I see. The comparison and the effort to link the two as a trend in potentially undercover machinations to JAQ about says a lot.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/halalflow/status/1752021755995025689

Pelosi has shifted from thinking that the protestors are funded by Russia to the protestors being funded by China. Or maybe she thinks the two countries are teaming up to fund protestors who are mad that the US government is aiding a genocide in Palestine.

Sounds like she is saying "Go to China where they are committing genocide" to me, the sound quality is awful but I can't hear the word headquarters anywhere in that clip.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1752052728485003450

it might be this. Obviously not AMAZING source. but i wouldnt be shocked if it has to do with january 6th.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/27/the-us-must-act-to-end-the-gaza-disaster

Bernie wrote an Op Ed in the Guardian that is an extremely strong statement against Israel's actions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

House plans to vote on the expanded child tax credit/business tax break extension bill this week.

There's some resistance to it among Republicans who believe that it could help illegal immigrants claim more child tax credits (which is not true unless they are using a fake SS and paying all of their taxes anyway) and New York Republicans are upset that the bill contains no changes to the SALT deductions for state and local taxes.

Some Democrats are annoying about extending the business tax breaks, but most of them are willing to do so as part of the deal to expand the child tax credits.

The bill passed out of committee 40-3, but many members have grumbled about various aspects of it. It's not clear how many will actually vote against it on the floor, though.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1751954495108501675

Seems to me like your old-school 'good compromise', everyone is a little bit mad because there's something in it they don't really love, but everyone gets enough of what they want to be able to stomach it. So in the modern world I expect it to get hit with dozens of torpedoes from all angles rather than passing and being a broadly decent piece of legislation.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Young Freud posted:

Like every tragedy, 10/7 has it's Truthers. I think the common conspiracy theory is that Netanyahu, since Israeli intel has been given warning that Hamas was going to attack, let it happen and even had the festival's location changed to add to the casualties.

I mean, Netanyahu has been funding Hamas for years, knew of the attack plans, and ignored those plans even when Hamas started conducting the exact drills they described in those plans. The festival location thing is probably not true, but all the aforementioned stuff we do know. Is there still really any question he 'let it happen'?

Now we also see that Israel is making plans for permanent settlements on Palestinian towns. Seems awfully convenient for them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

rkd_ posted:

I mean, Netanyahu has been funding Hamas for years, knew of the attack plans, and ignored those plans even when Hamas started conducting the exact drills they described in those plans. The festival location thing is probably not true, but all the aforementioned stuff we do know. Is there still really any question he 'let it happen'?

Now we also see that Israel is making plans for permanent settlements on Palestinian towns. Seems awfully convenient for them.

lol this is a literal :freep: post

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doctors have found 5 patients who were able to contract Alzheimer's from HGH injections - potentially radically changing the way we understand the disease.

It is extremely rare, but the fact that it may be possible to get Alzheimer's from a source that is not genetic or the result of an aging brain changes how we thought the disease worked.

The HGH that was injected into the patients that caused the Alzheimer's was harvested from a corpse and most HGH used today is synthetic - so you can keep pumping yourself with HGH without fear of getting Alzheimer's.

The good news is that this discovery may open up treatment options for Alzheimer's that weren't thought to be possible before.

The immediate practical impact of this discovery is basically nothing, but it opens up several new avenues for research on causes and treatments.

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1752065845721796974

quote:

Alzheimer’s disease may, rarely, be transmitted by medical treatment

Researchers divide Alzheimer’s disease, the most common form of dementia, into two types. “Sporadic” cases usually occur in people over 65. Rarer “familial” ones are associated with a handful of mutations that run in families. Symptoms can begin in a patient’s 30s.

But evidence is mounting that a third, much rarer type exists as well. A paper published on January 29th in Nature Medicine describes five people with early-onset Alzheimer’s who may have contracted it from treatment with human growth hormone (hgh) given when they were children. If that is indeed what has happened, it would establish a third “iatrogenic” form of the disease—one that is transmitted by medical procedures.

The paper, by John Collinge, a neurologist at University College, London (ucl), and his colleagues, builds on previous research from the same group. But the story begins with a different malady—Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (cjd), a fatal neurodegenerative condition best known for the variant (vcjd), dubbed “mad cow disease”, that jumped from cattle to humans in the 1990s.

In the 1980s Stanley Prusiner, a biochemist, showed that cjd, and some other, related diseases, are caused not by a bacterium or a virus, but by a defective form of one of the body’s own proteins. The defect lies in the protein’s shape rather than its chemical makeup. Before a newly created protein can do its job, it must fold itself up in exactly the right way. Sometimes that process goes wrong. Some of those misfolded proteins, dubbed “prions” by Dr Prusiner, can cause other copies of themselves to misfold in turn. And too many misfolded proteins can gum up the workings of cells and kill them.

Like Alzheimer’s, cjd is mostly either sporadic or inherited. Only around 1% of cases are transmitted. The vcjd outbreak of the 1990s was caused by eating contaminated beef. But other routes are possible, too. Between 1959 and 1985 around 30,000 people around the world, mostly children, were given injections of hgh to boost their height. The hormone was extracted from the brains of cadavers. Some, it later emerged, was contaminated with cjd-causing prions. To date, over 200 cases of cjd have been attributed to those treatments.

In 2015, while examining the brains of eight people who died in this manner, Dr Collinge found that four of the brains also contained deposits of amyloid-beta, another type of protein—but one that is associated with Alzheimer’s, not cjd. As with the prion that causes cjd, misshapen bits of amyloid-beta can cause other copies of the protein to form tangled clumps in the brain. Such clumps are a hallmark of Alzheimer’s.

Dr Collinge’s team surmised that the people in question had been doubly unlucky: their hormone injections had been contaminated not only with cjd-causing prions, but with amyloid-beta clumps as well. In 2018 Dr Collinge went on to show that untouched samples of hgh that had been in storage since the 1980s contained amyloid-beta—and that injecting the stuff into mice caused their brains to develop Alzheimer’s-like protein clumps.

Then, in 2019, a team led by Dr Gargi Banerjee, a neurologist who also works at ucl, found that three people who had received grafts of cadaveric dura mater, a thick membrane that covers the brain, were suffering from cerebral amyloid angiopathy (caa), a condition closely related to Alzheimer’s, and one in which amyloid-beta is also implicated. Dr Banerjee argued that this too was a case of the inadvertent medical transmission of misfolded proteins.

All that adds up to a highly suggestive pile of evidence. But until now, no one had found any patients who had received contaminated hgh and gone on to develop Alzheimer’s. Dr Collinge’s latest paper—co-authored with Dr Banerjee—does just that. It reports the cases of eight people who had been referred to the National Prion Clinic at ucl, and who had received childhood hgh treatments. Biomarkers, blood tests and even autopsies (carried out on two patients who died during the course of the study) concluded that seven had at least some signs consistent with Alzheimer’s. Five had symptoms that met diagnostic criteria, and which had begun between the ages of 38 and 55.

The patients were all relatively young, making sporadic Alzheimer’s unlikely. Five had been genetically tested as part of their treatment; none carried mutations known to cause the familial form of the disease. All that strongly suggests that their childhood medication is to blame, says Dr Collinge.

“We’re not suggesting for a moment that you can catch Alzheimer’s disease [from other people],” he says. He does, though, think that medical procedures known to have transmitted cjd in the past ought to be looked at carefully. These days hgh is made synthetically, rather than being harvested from the dead. The World Health Organisation advises against human dura mater grafts. But there have been rare cases of cjd associated with other medical treatments carried out in childhood.

If Dr Collinge is proved right, one question is what can be done to stop such transmissions in future. Prions are hardy things, and can survive routine sterilisation in an autoclave. Dr Collinge thinks the same is likely true of amyloid-beta. He and his colleagues are planning to test an enzyme-detergent mixture which they developed to destroy cjd prions to see if it works for amyloid-beta as well.

Another is what it might mean for treating Alzheimer’s, even in people in whom the disease develops spontaneously. The exact role that amyloid-beta plays in Alzheimer’s is not fully understood. But Dr Collinge believes his study suggests that “what’s going on in Alzheimer’s is very similar in many respects to what happens in human prion diseases like cjd.” That might open up new treatment possibilities for a disease that remains, for now, uncurable.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nenonen posted:

At a certain point, theorizing that Netanyahu had to have some foreknowledge is the most charitable reading of the whole situation, because if the military and intelligence were truly caught off guard to the degree they were, from a threat they had as much advance intel on as they reportedly did, the alternate explanations are just even worse.

It’s a smaller state, with smaller bureaucracies, with like a few main very obvious threats to track, and they completely dropped the ball on the biggest security breach in decades. So it’s harder to make the case for bureaucratic slowness and silos the way it was for the warnings the US had.

I don’t assume that Israeli intel or politicians were meaningfully allowing it or involved, but I do think they have allowed ideology to so totally subsume competence that the services that should ideally be staffed with professionals are now loaded up with dumbshits and psychos who have no clue what they should be doing.

If it’s a foregone conclusion that you cannot defeat an insurgency with popular support with modern military tactics while maintaining your position as an ostensibly civilized state, then it’s even less possible with the clown car of incompetents and 20 year old major generals (that’s a joke, please don’t be pedantic) they’re rolling in with.

If they’re not in on it, that’s only more evidence of the rotten incompetence that has come to light in the heart of the military and security apparatus.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

There is a bit of truth there in that Netanyahu boosted Hamas as a way to keep the PA weak and prevent Palestinian statehood:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/10/world/middleeast/israel-qatar-money-prop-up-hamas.html

He falsely believed Hamas was not capable of such an attack while people were raising alarms about such an attack. He thought he was just bribing them to not do anything besides oppose the PA.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"We assure you we were not injecting corpses with HGH to create an army of buff super zombies."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Push El Burrito posted:

"We assure you we were not injecting corpses with HGH to create an army of buff super zombies."

They were injecting people with HGH from corpses!

:goonsay:

That was apparently where you got your primo HGH supply in the 1970's and 1980's.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's really common for leadership to ignore warnings of impending attack that in hindsight are obvious, but beforehand just get drowned in noise. Example is Soviets getting "surprised" in June 1941. Pearl Harbor is another one. Every fricking time some people just find it unbelievable that leaders can ignore warning signals, and like to theorize that there had to be a sinister plan behind all that. Because nothing strengthens a leadership's position as letting yourself be surprised with your pants down.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nenonen posted:

It's really common for leadership to ignore warnings of impending attack that in hindsight are obvious, but beforehand just get drowned in noise. Example is Soviets getting "surprised" in June 1941. Pearl Harbor is another one. Every fricking time some people just find it unbelievable that leaders can ignore warning signals, and like to theorize that there had to be a sinister plan behind all that. Because nothing strengthens a leadership's position as letting yourself be surprised with your pants down.

It severely undercuts the strategy of border defense when your border defenses get crippled by incredibly cheap drones and your border forces are left uncoordinated and unprepared.

This isn’t just a surprise, it’s a surprise they were warned about, and which all the defensive planning and prep they’d made turned out to be incredibly bad at the task, leading to a much greater and longer penetration by the enemy than either side anticipated.

It’s not just getting caught with your pants down, it’s being unable to pull your pants up the moment the Raytheon Pants Pullers were snipped with a two dollar pair of safety scissors.

Being surprised is bad enough, it’s the inability to react to that surprise, and then going on a genocidal tantrum thereafter that really seals it for me. Israeli military competence is largely mythical at this point.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I mean, I would call Netanyahu's plan sinister, just not in the same way.

Remember, his entire motivation for sending money to Hamas was to undermine the Palestinian Authority. He actively WANTED the terrorists to be strong and in charge because it meant he could prevent Palestine from pushing its case for statehood.

quote:

“One effective way to prevent a two-state solution is to divide between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank,” he said in an interview. The division gives Mr. Netanyahu an excuse to disengage from peace talks, Mr. Brom said, adding that he can say, “I have no partner.”

Mr. Netanyahu did not articulate this strategy publicly, but some on the Israeli political right had no such hesitation.

Bezalel Smotrich, a far-right politician who is now Mr. Netanyahu’s finance minister, put it bluntly in 2015, the year he was elected to Parliament.

“The Palestinian Authority is a burden,” he said. “Hamas is an asset.”

In your analogy, Stalin would have had to be sending truckloads of cash to Hitler because he wanted to prevent the Chancellor from rebuilding Germany.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

In your analogy, Stalin would have had to be sending truckloads of cash to Hitler because he wanted to prevent the Chancellor from rebuilding Germany.

They did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German%E2%80%93Soviet_Commercial_Agreement_(1940)

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

They were injecting people with HGH from corpses!

:goonsay:

That was apparently where you got your primo HGH supply in the 1970's and 1980's.

makes sense; until we learned how to make the synthetic stuff, we got insulin from cows and pigs

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Yeah, the level to which the Soviets helped build, supply, and fuel the army that nearly destroyed them, and how much it continued right up until the incredibly obvious betrayal, was incredible. But Stalin was just blinded by rebuilding the empire, in much the same way that Bibi was focused on other threats than the "safely caged" Hamas. This kind of poo poo happens again and again under suitably myopic leadership.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kavros posted:

Ah. I see. The comparison and the effort to link the two as a trend in potentially undercover machinations to JAQ about says a lot.

What does this mean?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Nenonen posted:

Even if everything that happened was due to sheer incompetence, Israel is not hiding that they're capitalizing on this opportunity to commit genocide and to expand their controlled territory, including the settlements I referred to.

https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751658912175010010?s=20
https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751684917321257153?s=20

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rkd_ posted:

Even if everything that happened was due to sheer incompetence, Israel is not hiding that they're capitalizing on this opportunity to commit genocide and to expand their controlled territory, including the settlements I referred to.

https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751658912175010010?s=20
https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751684917321257153?s=20

That's a private conference and not the official government position?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doctors have found 5 patients who were able to contract Alzheimer's from HGH injections - potentially radically changing the way we understand the disease.

It is extremely rare, but the fact that it may be possible to get Alzheimer's from a source that is not genetic or the result of an aging brain changes how we thought the disease worked.

The HGH that was injected into the patients that caused the Alzheimer's was harvested from a corpse and most HGH used today is synthetic - so you can keep pumping yourself with HGH without fear of getting Alzheimer's.

The good news is that this discovery may open up treatment options for Alzheimer's that weren't thought to be possible before.

The immediate practical impact of this discovery is basically nothing, but it opens up several new avenues for research on causes and treatments.

I'm reading through this now and this is not a good study. And it's not even really a full blown study, more like a "hey this is interesting."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02729-2

They were originally tracing iatrogenic CJD which is a prion disease. People with CJD will also generally have elevated lvls of Amyloid-Beta which form cerebral plaque. Some people claim this is a driving force behind Alzheimer's' disease, but there's not consistency with amount of AB plaque and symptomology. People with horrible Alzheimer's can have none, and people who's brain lights up like a christmas tree can be cognitively fine. We even have monoclonal infusions that target AB and work at clearing it out...that don't do anything for Alzheimer's. And there's a lot of controversy around this theory and at least some of it is based on forged imaging and results.

They're using the DSMV to diagnose Alzheimer's retroactively. The DSMV is for psychiatric issues and it is far more subjective than the way neurology treats it.

Additionally, some of the patients in this cohort didn't even loving have Alzheimer's. Like look at this guy.

quote:

He remained well until late 2014 (aged 42 years), when his vision deteriorated; he
first noticed that he was unable to make sense of letters on his computer screen at
work. This continued to progress, until large parts of his visual field were “greyed
out”. He was found to have recurrence of his tumour, which was treated with further
debulking surgery (February 2015) and stereotactic radiosurgery (April 2015), after
which his vision in the right eye improved slightly.

In October 2016 the vision in his
right eye deteriorated again; repeat imaging in early 2017 demonstrated
enhancement in the right cavernous sinus and hypothalamus, which was treated with
further stereotactic radiosurgery in August 2017 with evidence of treatment
response. He was additionally noted to have a progressive third nerve palsy on the
right from the autumn of 2016, with a worsening ptosis evident from August 2017. In
January 2019 he was noted to be bumping into things on the left, and repeat imaging
demonstrated further growth of the recurrent tumour.

Throughout this period (i.e. from late 2014, from the age of 42 years), he became
more withdrawn and apathetic, and required prompting from family members for
tasks that he previously would have performed, for example those relating to
personal hygiene, tidying his home and managing his own affairs (such as opening
his post). Although he had always had a “sweet tooth”, this became more apparent,
and he was noted to be eating substantially more sweet and “junk” foods.

His family
also noticed some subtle social changes, for example that he would wear his shoes
inside the house, and that he would start his meal at the dinner table before other
people seated were ready, both of which were unusual for him. His mood seemed
lower than usual, and he was no longer able to engage in social or leisure activities
that he previously enjoyed due to his worsening visual impairment.

His memory,
language and behaviour were otherwise normal, and he continued to work as a
volunteer at a local charity shop. His support worker would visit him once a week,
primarily to help him with shopping given his visual impairment.

There was no family history of stroke, dementia or other neurological disease.
As the death was unexplained, a post-mortem examination was carried out locally by
Her Majesty’s Coroner in order to ascertain cause of death. This was given as
malignant transformation of craniopharyngioma; a small deposit of tumour was
identified anterior to the midbrain, with features suggestive of (but not diagnostic for)
a craniopharyngioma with malignant transformation. There was no evidence of
intracerebral haemorrhage, although assessment of the brain was limited by
extensive traumatic removal artefact of the brain, which included complete disruption
of medial temporal lobes, the right cerebellar hemisphere and left occipital lobe.

This is the first guy on their supplemental list. All his symptoms are textbook depression, which are what you'd expect from someone who has a brain tumor that keeps coming back in his forties. They state his memory, language, and behavior were all normal, which tend to be impacted by Alzheimer's. They could not even do a post mortem on his brain because of how much damage had been done extracting it. Brain is VERY squishy and starts to degrade almost immediately.

Also gotta love the family chiming in with "concerning symptoms." Yeah not waiting for you slow asses to sit down at the dinner table, I get it. Also wearing his shoes more frequently. Thank you so much for this.

Also from a neuro perspective, his symtoms are much more consistent with right MCA syndrome than Alzheimer's.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

That's a private conference and not the official government position?

It strokes entirely with what Israel is doing as we speak and has shown no intention of stopping. I mean, Netanyahu said they wouldn't stop until Palestine (not Hamas, Palestine!) would never again be a threat to Isreal. Surely that can only mean one thing? I also doubt that Ben Gvir will be removed from his position as Minister of National Security now that he's openly calling for genocide and resettlement of Gaza. He's been known to have these views and was still appointed.

If your Minister of National Security attends and supports something like this and that person is not reprimanded or removed from his position, while you're government is committing genocide and has not shown any indication it will stop, how much more evidence do we need that this is a goal of that government? I guess we can wait for an official statement but by then it will be far too late.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As long as the PM of Israel can promise security the Israeli public is lenient to all other things but the minute a lot of Israelis die the PM is pretty much on life support. The idea that Netanyahu wanted Oct 7th to happen thinking it would benefit him some way is kind of ludicrous. Israel has a history of kicking out PM's who fail to protect the state sufficiently enough.
That being said Netanyahu is shithead who will do anything to hold to power and even though his approval ratings are lower than a basement and many Israelis blame him for the security failures on Oct 7th he will do anything to stay in power.

edit: one thing to recognize is that Netanyahu and Gantz and all those are playing to their hardline base because they are about the only people that will still support them when this is over. It is like seeing Trump play to the MAGAs and saying that all Americans are being represented there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

rkd_ posted:

It strokes entirely with what Israel is doing as we speak and has shown no intention of stopping. I mean, Netanyahu said they wouldn't stop until Palestine (not Hamas, Palestine!) would never again be a threat to Isreal. Surely that can only mean one thing? I also doubt that Ben Gvir will be removed from his position as Minister of National Security now that he's openly calling for genocide and resettlement of Gaza. He's been known to have these views and was still appointed.

If your Minister of National Security attends and supports something like this and that person is not reprimanded or removed from his position, while you're government is committing genocide and has not shown any indication it will stop, how much more evidence do we need that this is a goal of that government? I guess we can wait for an official statement but by then it will be far too late.

So you were incorrect to refer to it as "Israel is not hiding that they're capitalizing on this opportunity to commit genocide and to expand their controlled territory, including the settlements I referred to." There's "it strokes with", it's a private conference by private individuals; with government officials participating in private capacity; in the same way that a private conference to "Build the Wall" that the Republican politician might likewise visit doesn't really substantially claim anything about the US's actions or intentions, this isn't evidence as to what Israel's intentions are.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Raenir Salazar posted:

So you were incorrect to refer to it as "Israel is not hiding that they're capitalizing on this opportunity to commit genocide and to expand their controlled territory, including the settlements I referred to." There's "it strokes with", it's a private conference by private individuals; with government officials participating in private capacity; in the same way that a private conference to "Build the Wall" that the Republican politician might likewise visit doesn't really substantially claim anything about the US's actions or intentions, this isn't evidence as to what Israel's intentions are.

Failure to punish incitement to genocide (which the ICJ explicitly ordered Israel to do) presumably constitutes prima facie evidence of genocidal intent.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rkd_ posted:

There's absolutely no way in hell Netanyahu intentionally let it happen. It goes against the entirety of his political career and everything we know about his personal political priorities and tactics. He's not a true believer willing to sacrifice everything to steal Palestine - he's a corruption elemental who doesn't give a poo poo what policies or stances he has to follow as long as he can remain PM forever and reap the benefits. There's no way the guy whose number one political priority has been his own political power would intentionally destroy his own career and party on purpose for anything. Besides, unlike Bush back in 2001, Israel doesn't actually need something like this as an excuse to bombard or invade Gaza.

koolkal posted:

I mean, I would call Netanyahu's plan sinister, just not in the same way.

Remember, his entire motivation for sending money to Hamas was to undermine the Palestinian Authority. He actively WANTED the terrorists to be strong and in charge because it meant he could prevent Palestine from pushing its case for statehood.

Worth noting that this quote doesn't come from Netanyahu or anyone who's close to him - it comes from a random-rear end ex-general who left the IDF in 1998 and has been bouncing around between thinktanks ever since. There's no indication that he heard it from Netanyahu or particularly knows Netanyahu's stance.

Also, it's not referring to Israel funding Hamas - it's referring to Israel not blocking Qatar's humanitarian aid funding to Hamas, as specified in various ceasefire agreements. The money was going to poo poo like fuel for Gaza's power plant and salaries for civil employees. It gets boiled down into "funding Hamas" through the tireless efforts of right-wing demagogues who constantly insist that all aid to Gaza has to be cut off entirely while Hamas exists because every dollar entering Gaza is actually secretly being stolen by Hamas for their nefarious deeds.

Honestly, it's rare to see such a flawless example of how leftist conspiracy theories can grow up out of far-right attacks. This entire narrative originated from right-wingers who tried to attack Netanyahu from the right and portray him as soft on Hamas for things like allowing humanitarian aid into Gaza, making ceasefire agreements with Hamas, and so on. After a few years of blockade and a couple of wars failed to destroy Hamas, the far right claimed that the reason military methods failed was that Netanyahu wasn't bombing and starving Gaza hard enough because he was secretly in league with them. But once the most obvious bigotry was sanded off by a few passes through the mainstream media, those right-wing attacks were blindly adopted by leftists who were just as eager to attack Netanyahu and associate him with Hamas' crimes, without even realizing they were amplifying the very same messaging used as justifications for starving out the Gaza Strip.

rkd_ posted:

It's the same rhetoric Israel uses every time it invades Gaza. The one and only thing it means is "please please please don't boot me out of office, I promise this will never happen again, for real this time, will you believe me and feel safe if I make enough explosions???".

If Netanyahu fires Ben-Gvir, then Otzma Yehudit leaves the government. The current coalition can't maintain a working majority without Otzma Yehudit, so the government will collapse and new elections will have to be held. If new elections are held this year, Netanyahu loses for sure. From there, refer back to the beginning of this post: Netanyahu's number one political priority is clinging to power no matter what. He doesn't like Ben-Gvir, and he's done his best to keep Ben-Gvir as far from this war as possible, but he can't actually kick Ben-Gvir out of the government without immediately losing power himself (and Ben-Gvir knows that drat well, which is exactly how he was able to demand a post like that in the first place).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Raenir Salazar posted:

If it was some random guy in the House then sure. It would, however, seem reasonable to draw some inferences if it was the Secretary of Homeland Security attending while the entire world was watching daily footage of the wall being built.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Fascinating article but a small note - They haven’t used cadaver hgh in almost 40 years since it was linked to CJD

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gnumonic posted:

Failure to punish incitement to genocide (which the ICJ explicitly ordered Israel to do) presumably constitutes prima facie evidence of genocidal intent.

This is a reach. For one, I assume Israel has some sort of legal framework which prevents or otherwise ostensibly restricts the government from infringing on the rights of citizens regarding expression and association, regardless of how distasteful it may be; which I doubt the ICJ has the authority to override a countries constitutional framework regarding. If the ICJ made a similar judgment against the US, given how strongly the US protects the 1A, it would be impossible for the US to enforce such a ruling against its own citizens. It's unclear to me what Israel's protections are but it wouldn't surprise me that failure to act in this instance has a little more than meets the eye and more than one valid interpretation then "prima facie evidence of genocidal intent." For two, this isn't what the OP was claiming, the OP showed out of context a conference without further information and passed it off as evidence for a specific claim; a specific claim in which the evidence provided doesn't support.

Logically this just doesn't follow.

Ms Adequate posted:

If it was some random guy in the House then sure. It would, however, seem reasonable to draw some inferences if it was the Secretary of Homeland Security attending while the entire world was watching daily footage of the wall being built.

I don't agree that this would justify the claim on its face, it is reasonable to draw inferences that this is concerning how the Israeli far right is shifting the overton window; its a concerning conference just as how CPAC and what goes on there is concerning; and whether they're gaining enough support in the government to pursue such a policy; but the fact that it's just a petition doesn't mean the government intends this; especially in the context of the US being very very against such an act and would be blatantly disregarding the US's opinion on the matter. Remember that there used to be settlers in Gaza but Ariel Sharon pulled them out, and those people have been furious about it ever since in the same way there's far right people furious about what the US did or not do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

They sent Germany raw materials in the hope that then Germany couldn't afford to cut off that supply. They gave tours around weapons factories to German military attaches to dissuade them from attacking but instead convinced the Germans that they should attack sooner. Stalin and the USSR did everything they could to make it less likely that Germany would attack them.