Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought we knew about that one already, but I had it confused with Mechabellum. I went to the steam page and checked the notes for the most recent patch and saw this:

You can blow up the fuckin weather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Deakul posted:

You can blow up the fuckin weather?

This will be a big hit with the cloud haters market segment

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hear Nikoomba was killed...

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Here I am replaying Warcraft 2 and this schmuck is complaining about his men refusing to burn a village in C&C. Do you realize how loving hard it is to send a goddamn message through a portal across an ocean and continents and mountains just to get a motherfucking Ogre to stop eating a bone and attack a dang footman????

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Anyone else ready to bounce off of another Dominions game next week?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Anno posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

The irony here is I've had Dominions 5 sitting in my library for years never played, but I'm still super tempted to pick this one up on release day.

To be fair, I got enough playtime out of Dominions 3 that it still averages out as money well spent even if I bought every game in the series.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anno posted:

This time I'm going to play it for reals. And also X4, Dwarf Fortress and Victoria 3.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

V for Vegas posted:

This time I'm going to play it for reals. And also X4, Dwarf Fortress and Victoria 3.

Oh, so you found an artefact that stops time for everyone but you and your computer?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Didn't know a new one was coming. Time to buy it, join precisely two online games, oooh and ahhh at the new stuff then rage quit when my cute little army dies to a turkey

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Slaan posted:

Didn't know a new one was coming. Time to buy it, join precisely two online games, oooh and ahhh at the new stuff then rage quit when my cute little army dies to a turkey

Thanks to Googling this, I now know there are at least 3 "Thankskilling" horror movies about a killer turkey. I'll spare you the image links.

I wish Dominions was more fun single player.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Dominions 6 is adding single player diplomacy!

There are now supposed to be options other than forever war including non-aggression pact. Still looks to be extremely bare bones but it's a start.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

esquilax posted:

Dominions 6 is adding single player diplomacy!

There are now supposed to be options other than forever war including non-aggression pact. Still looks to be extremely bare bones but it's a start.

I'm actually excited about this. Once upon a time I played Dominions (3) multiplayer, but these days I am casual and afraid of being kickstomped so I kinda want to play some low pressure single player even though I know that's not really where Dominions shines.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Scallop Eyes posted:

Is this the thread to ask for tactical rpg suggestions? I've played Final Fantasy Tactics ,Tactics Ogre and Into the Breach, and now I'm hooked.

This is late, but here's one more: Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga is really good.

It's like the closest thing I've found on PC to Fire Emblem.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LLSix posted:

Thanks to Googling this, I now know there are at least 3 "Thankskilling" horror movies about a killer turkey. I'll spare you the image links.

There's actually only 2, the second one was called Thankskilling 3 as a joke.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Revitalized posted:

This is late, but here's one more: Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga is really good.

It's like the closest thing I've found on PC to Fire Emblem.

Kingsvein just came out, it's from the dev of Horizons Gate, and Alvora and Voidspire Tactics

lofi tactics in a unique setting

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2276830/Kingsvein/

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Broken Arrow is having an open beta for 2 weeks starting on the 31st.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

Honestly I don't really remember much from the demo last year. The UI and some functionalities were not completed so it's hard to tell if any weirdness that's occurring was intended or not. There was strict NDA so there isn't much info out there on the current state of the game.

It's going to be similar to Wargame with some World in Conflict sprinkled in. It'll have all the features Eugen wouldn't include for one reason or another like paradrop, customizable vehicle and squad, loadout for planes, NOE flying for helicopter, trophy and other similar anti missile system, tactical strike up to tactical nuke, etc. It's also going to be set in modern era so all countries will have state of art equipment available to them instead of the huge timeframe of Wargame.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 29, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are any of the Eugen Wargames worth checking out for solo play? Miss me some World in Conflict.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Personally I disliked the last broken arrow demo. It was more micro heavy and faster paces than wargame, which could be ok with me but the big problem was I felt little feedback from the game about how my units were doing, whether an engagement was in my favor, whether a position was favorable or not. Pretty game but it simply didnt "feel good" to me

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Deakul posted:

Are any of the Eugen Wargames worth checking out for solo play? Miss me some World in Conflict.

Wargame SP suffers from the AI's play style. They usually like to throw units at you piecemeal so fight just doesn't feel very cinematic or interesting. There will be this intermittent stream of units coming down the same three roads until you win. Have you tried Regiments? It's even more similar to WiC and has better SP experience (though no freeform campaign).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

+1 for Regiments. Game owns.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Broken Arrow is having an open beta for 2 weeks starting on the 31st.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

Honestly I don't really remember much from the demo last year. The UI and some functionalities were not completed so it's hard to tell if any weirdness that's occurring was intended or not. There was strict NDA so there isn't much info out there on the current state of the game.

It's going to be similar to Wargame with some World in Conflict sprinkled in. It'll have all the features Eugen wouldn't include for one reason or another like paradrop, customizable vehicle and squad, loadout for planes, NOE flying for helicopter, trophy and other similar anti missile system, tactical strike up to tactical nuke, etc. It's also going to be set in modern era so all countries will have state of art equipment available to them instead of the huge timeframe of Wargame.

IIRC from the Steam Nextfest demo despite taking place mostly in the modern day it still had a fairly wide range older equipment. Like M60s, F-14s, and Dragon ATGMs for the US side as options alongside newer stuff.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

(though no freeform campaign).

Yet...

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good call on Regiments!

It's definitely scratching the itch, that sound design is loving amazing!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC from the Steam Nextfest demo despite taking place mostly in the modern day it still had a fairly wide range older equipment. Like M60s, F-14s, and Dragon ATGMs for the US side as options alongside newer stuff.

Game might be too easy with all those post cold-war wonder weapons. "Mighty nice T90 you have, would be a shame if this two man marine team with a javelin were to annihilate it"

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Arrath posted:

Game might be too easy with all those post cold-war wonder weapons. "Mighty nice T90 you have, would be a shame if this two man marine team with a javelin were to annihilate it"

You misspelled "drone with a hand grenade tied to it."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Chuck_D posted:

You misspelled "drone with a hand grenade tied to it."

This is why we need C&C Generals 2. The modern GLA's tech tree would be wild if, perhaps, too real.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dont worry, Marines dont get Javelins (iirc) because duplicating units across specs is to be avoided as a design principle. Perhaps you'd prefer the Dragon III from 2001?

APS is a thing anyway, and stops any atgm (top attack or otherwise aside from double-tap missiles only some Russian vehicles get) on a 5 second cooldown. Used to be 1 second which was lol

FPV's arent in sadly, hopefully its considered in the future

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 1, 2024

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This broken arrow public beta seems broken.

As soon as I click the play online button it says I need to enter a password to join some gibberish lobby.

Nothing else to do?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Hizawk posted:

This broken arrow public beta seems broken.

As soon as I click the play online button it says I need to enter a password to join some gibberish lobby.

Nothing else to do?

Welp, I guess that's your regular beta woe. I managed to play 3 games yesterday though yeah, server was down a lot.

Eligibility is still an issue...missing tooltip, text that's not scaled correctly, LOS tool is buggy (very slow, doesn't show range, bugs out and refreshes itself constantly, plain wrong half the time), no command line, etc. Income is also weird...it just goes up and down with no discernible reason (maybe because it only updates at an interval so it's hard to tell what's changing it).

Infantry seems extremely weak. Their weapons are too weak to kill tanks, and even in building they get shredded by just MG. Unit count is quite low. I don't think I have more than 10 units on the field at once in any game. Zooming annoyingly doesn't go all the way out like Warno, especially when they have so many weapon systems that has massive range like cruise missile and heavy SAM system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Income relates to number of deployed units I think

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Income relates to number of deployed units I think

https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/BrokenArrow/BrokenArrow_Basics.pdf
Turns out there's a manual with lots of useful info in there. So income scales the total value of your deck and the total value of your deployed unit. One thing of note is that destroyed unit does not immediately change your income scaling. Your income only increase once the unit "respawn" in your deck.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, Stormgate is just straight up trash, who knew?

How the hell did this get kickstarted so successfully? It looks and feels like a much worse Starcraft 2 if SC2 were ai generated from a mobile game advertisement prompt.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Deakul posted:

How the hell did this get kickstarted so successfully? It looks and feels like a much worse Starcraft 2 if SC2 were ai generated from a mobile game advertisement prompt.

I dunno man I like that not every unit has an ability to micro. I just wish the tech trees were more varied at this point. Otherwise I can't really comment since I've only played a few 1v1 games. I just want Brood War 2: The Broodwhich but I know that ain't happening ever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Turns out Starcraft's gameplay was always middling and outdated, saved by unique faction design, memorable campaigns, and psychopathic Koreans. C&C was always better, to say nothing of TA, the true choice for the discerning, forward-looking individual. :smug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

Turns out Starcraft's gameplay was always middling and outdated, saved by unique faction design, memorable campaigns, and psychopathic Koreans. C&C was always better, to say nothing of TA, the true choice for the discerning, forward-looking individual. :smug:

One of the most insane things I've ever read in my life

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Where is the hate for Stormgate? I've made a short look but Youtubers seem to be liking it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Milo and POTUS posted:

One of the most insane things I've ever read in my life

All visionaries were called madmen in their time.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hating on a game in open beta is just going to draw in the people who feel the need to justify their investment to scream at you. Better as a content creator to wait until release and pretend you hated it the whole time.

Idk the game seems like it's going to be Fine. It's a disappointment to be sure but it's also about what I expected from the game with no ideas. It needs a lot of polish to make what's there feel good to use but it's never going to be anything special unless the editor is good and a custom game scene can be built (unlikely imo).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

I adore C&C but I will say it only really came into its own in RA2 and there was more differentiation between units than "4 flavors of tank with increasing cost and shootiness"

TS was baller as hell and achieved that well but I think RA2 really hit it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

sirtommygunn posted:

Hating on a game in open beta is just going to draw in the people who feel the need to justify their investment to scream at you. Better as a content creator to wait until release and pretend you hated it the whole time.

Idk the game seems like it's going to be Fine. It's a disappointment to be sure but it's also about what I expected from the game with no ideas. It needs a lot of polish to make what's there feel good to use but it's never going to be anything special unless the editor is good and a custom game scene can be built (unlikely imo).
I mean, it might end up gaining a scene for the sole reason that Blizzard's basically done with Starcraft 2 and there's no sequel on the horizon, and this is very much Starcraft 2 with less micro but, consequently, pretty uninteresting unit design, both in gameplay and visuals. Although there's clearly another tier that's not available in this build, seeing as the demons' HQ straight up has an upgrade you can't get.