Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
4 mana boogie down seems unimaginably bad now in standard (and erases it from wild because neither odd or even pally can even consider it lmao) so pally is taking a huge hit. Warlock has to be gaining a lot of percentage points in that matchup.

Also naga DH feels like it's just gonna be completely unopposed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I will miss coining out Boogie Down on turn 2 and pulling two Foul Eggs with taunt.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
which cards should i just dust entirely for full refund? i have a bad sense of it

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
honestly, all of them, and then if you need them after the nerf, remake the card.

is there a keyword search for all of them?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"refund"

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The Shattershambler change is bigger than it appears, because it alters Rogue's curve, unlike most of the other changes. You can't get a T3 Illusionist into Drill, and therefore can't get the Scorpion on 4/5.

E: Play three games, all back to back Sludgelocks - "Uh oh."

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 29, 2024

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sandwolf posted:

I’m glad I got to play against the “have 30 armor on T2” thing before it disappeared but having to do like 180 damage to Druid over the course of a game is loving stupid and I hope that deck rots.

Yeah, I played against it exactly once, and that was more than enough to know that that deck was entirely unreasonable. It's pretty absurd that they didn't see the issue with the Druid miniset cards. It's like they eyeballed each one of them in a total vacuum, decided "Yeah, those are druid-y effects" and called it a day.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

aha, thanks. just found a ton of cards still eligible, now up to 5k dust again. Gonna let the meta shake out a bit before spending it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I do love that the recent design philosophy for Druid is that it can either be the most dominant class in the game, or a total afterthought, and nothing in between

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
somehow lost against this stupid poo poo

?????

gotta say the reno caught me off guard

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I do love that the recent design philosophy for Druid is that it can either be the most dominant class in the game, or a total afterthought, and nothing in between
Same problem ETF had in Netrunner - When your Class identity is 'Get extra Resources - Be good at the basics that make good card decks' it kinda stifles options. Hell, the very existence of it warps Neutral, because every card has to be designed around 'What if Druid cheats this out Turn 5', and we've already had a number of Neutral cards that were basically really Druid only. Problem is resolving it now means fundamentally restructing Druid conceptually, and it's not THAT problematic, especially if you're a game designer told 'Make sure we print dollars'.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Nothing to fix the Totem Shaman bots in Wild yay.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Shockeh posted:

Same problem ETF had in Netrunner - When your Class identity is 'Get extra Resources - Be good at the basics that make good card decks' it kinda stifles options. Hell, the very existence of it warps Neutral, because every card has to be designed around 'What if Druid cheats this out Turn 5', and we've already had a number of Neutral cards that were basically really Druid only. Problem is resolving it now means fundamentally restructing Druid conceptually, and it's not THAT problematic, especially if you're a game designer told 'Make sure we print dollars'.

For example, Priest just got two cards nerfed because of Druid (this is a common theme - Warlock got a bunch of cards nerfed for Priest when they had dual-class cards). After getting hit, Druid might go from #1 played, #1 strongest to... uh... #1 played and #3 strongest class, while Priest will similarly go from dumpster-tier to dumpster-tier.

Blizzard plays favorites. Whether that's because they think certain playstyles are better for the game, or certain developers just like those classes, or those classes have a built-in advantage from their basic cards, or even just because those classes' cards are easier to design I can't say. Regardless of the reasons, it's evident by this point in the game that Druid, Rogue, and Warlock just aren't allowed to be bad for more than a single expansion at a time. Hell, Demon Hunter has probably spent more time as a F-tier class than Druid ever has and DH hasn't even existed for half the time of Druid!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
That’s a weird thing to say given that all three of those classes have been non-entities for months at a time just this year. Like, by any objective measure the most successful class of the Year of the Wolf has been Paladin — it’s been consistently top-tier, has multiple viable archetypes, has had three good sets piggybacking off a quality previous year, and has been nerfed in almost every balance patch — but you don’t hear people complaining that Paladin is the devs’ pet class.

A more accurate read, I think, is that balancing eleven classes is really hard, and they’re more likely to miss with the classes whose strengths are in resource generation, because when it goes bad there’s a compounding effect.

Then there’s the factor that players don’t all agree on what’s fun. When Priest is bad everyone wants to buff Priest, but when it’s actually good enough to be a common sight the cries of “delete Priest” echo off the heavens.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I don't give a gently caress about nerfs or buffs until one of them reigns in the Totem Shaman bots infesting Wild.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Isn't there just a counter you could play in Wild? Until you reach Diamond 5 or whatever?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's more that you play about 7 Totem Shaman bots per every 10 games, Ranked or Casual. Sure they're beatable but it gets old.

I am Wild Legend, that's easy. The bots are annoying.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Since the patch dropped I’ve literally only played against Blizzard bots every single game in Standard Ranked. 8 games in a row. I thought they discontinued these?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
If you ask me, Druid gets attention the way classes like Paladin don't because the different forms of "ramp into big stuff" and "the rough treat druid gameplan they've bad the whole game" all tend to merge together in people's heads. There's a lot of mechanical differences, but if you've played for long enough losing to the current Druid ramp feels the same as Guff doing twenty mana Brann plays or getting hit by a full Malygos combo on turn 7. A critical mass of ramp is just always going to get under people's skin in a specific way, I guess.

Anyway, Priest's class identity in the past year or so can be sorted into three main categories, and none of them have really worked as well as you'd hope.

1) Aggro shadow Priest is pretty effective, but also the most generic aggro burn deck possible.

2) Midrange Overheal Priest is pretty effective, but your hero power's heal is too small and expensive to do much. So, everything you do has to be a two card combo between healing cards and big chunky tempo minions that want to be healed, which means you either draw the wrong half of your deck or you do a cool thing with Overheal and then get your board wiped and you have no good way to refill your hand because you need two cards together to do anything meaningful on-board.

3) Control Priest is trying to not get booed out of the building by the angriest half of the player base by not being too overbearing. This mostly means it mostly gets relatively fair cards with the occasional pushed outlier like their Titan. Some of these cards hit the sweet spot where they're still cool and effective without pissing people off, like their Colossal. Most of them turned out like the set of bottle cards from this expansion, where they're too fair to do anything particularly meaningful in a modern meta. And even after all their effort to make it a fair control deck, people still act like you've pissed on their grandmother if you play control Priest. Some times you wonder why they even bother.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think that Paladin (with some exception) tends to win in very "normal" ways. Control the board, buff minions, make good trades, etc. It can be overpowered and oppressive but it feels different to things like Guff or +20 armour. Druid often feels like it's cheating in a way that Paladin (and Hunter, for that matter) generally don't.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bravesword posted:

That’s a weird thing to say given that all three of those classes have been non-entities for months at a time just this year. Like, by any objective measure the most successful class of the Year of the Wolf has been Paladin — it’s been consistently top-tier, has multiple viable archetypes, has had three good sets piggybacking off a quality previous year, and has been nerfed in almost every balance patch — but you don’t hear people complaining that Paladin is the devs’ pet class.

A more accurate read, I think, is that balancing eleven classes is really hard, and they’re more likely to miss with the classes whose strengths are in resource generation, because when it goes bad there’s a compounding effect.

Then there’s the factor that players don’t all agree on what’s fun. When Priest is bad everyone wants to buff Priest, but when it’s actually good enough to be a common sight the cries of “delete Priest” echo off the heavens.

I'm not just talking this year, I'm talking the game's lifetime. Everyone gets good decks from time to time, and nobody's ever completely avoided being bad, but those three classes historically haven't spent more than one set at a time in the bottom third while spending entire years as top-tier. Paladin's been consistently strong the last couple years but the class is traditionally similar to Shaman: when it's good it's near-broken, when it's bad it's real bad. When's the last time Druid was unplayable for an entire year? Using the latest VS data reaper playrate data below as a (admittedly poor) proxy, Shaman's been bottom-tier for a year and counting right now, Demon Hunter's not much better, Warrior was absolute garbage for most of last year (and a good amount prior to that) and Hunter's been quietly bad more often than not. When's the last time Druid/Warlock/Rogue were talked about (or arguably not talked about) like those classes?

I'll note that Death Knight has been a constant influence the entire year (almost certainly intentionally), which is skewing the meta, but this isn't a one-year phenomenon. Shaman is bad a lot, so is Warrior, Paladin bounces all over, and Priest is a steady low-performer that tends to see more play than the winrate would indicate.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-284/

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Welp, welcome to Sludgestone, I guess?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

bravesword posted:

Paladin tends to be low-ish skill ceiling due to its fairly linear archetypes and so even when the class is strong the playrate tapers off at Legend. So the people who do most of the online posting won't be as bothered by it..

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

orangelex44 posted:

When's the last time Druid/Warlock/Rogue were talked about (or arguably not talked about) like those classes?

Literally one expansion ago, the consensus on Rogue was that Mech Rogue highrolls well and was strong for one week before people learned to play around it (and before a few nerfs), but otherwise all they got at that point in the year were a good bounce card with Breakdance, a good piece of card cycling with Gear Shift and two expansions whose main packages do not do poo poo outside of their expansion context and will almost certainly not get any meaningful synergistic support in future expansions. If Excavate Rogue didn't work out, we would have had a solid year and a half of Rogue relying on Nathria's miracle package to get anything done, and who knows what they'd do after rotation. Alternating between expansions with the most broken combos you've seen and expansions where they get a pile of nothing that might be able to come together with enough bouncing is a long tradition for Rogue, but it's not like they're the devs' baby.

(Also, Warlock has admittedly been having a good few years, but I'm sure you've been posting in this thread long enough to have been playing in periods where Warlock was getting jack and poo poo in terms of meaningful deck archetypes.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2024

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
And Druid was basically non-existent between Anub’rekhan getting nerfed the second time and Yogg getting printed. (Drum Druid was okay, but underplayed relative to its power level due to being so frigging boring and heavily reliant on one big power spike.) Then when Yogg got nerfed, it was bad again until Badlands came out and added the Dragon stuff.

And then there’s Warlock. Warlock was so bad during Festival of Legends that half its set got buffed, and people still didn’t play it until Sargeras got printed. And then history repeated with Sludge — DOA with little player interest until the whole package got substantial buffs.

If Blizzard had the hidden agenda of wanting these classes to be top tier all the time, they sure do suck at it!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Desert Bus posted:

It's more that you play about 7 Totem Shaman bots per every 10 games, Ranked or Casual. Sure they're beatable but it gets old.

I am Wild Legend, that's easy. The bots are annoying.

It's casual where they are really annoying. I just want to play janky decks, not get beaten each way the same time by some hyper linear deck. Either they beat me quickly or I hold out against them and eke out an attritioned win. It's just not fun.

It's bad in Ranked too, but at least there you are nominally playing with competitive decks to try to win.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Literally one expansion ago, the consensus on Rogue was that Mech Rogue highrolls well and was strong for one week before people learned to play around it (and before a few nerfs), but otherwise all they got at that point in the year were a good bounce card with Breakdance, a good piece of card cycling with Gear Shift and two expansions whose main packages do not do poo poo outside of their expansion context and will almost certainly not get any meaningful synergistic support in future expansions. If Excavate Rogue didn't work out, we would have had a solid year and a half of Rogue relying on Nathria's miracle package to get anything done, and who knows what they'd do after rotation. Alternating between expansions with the most broken combos you've seen and expansions where they get a pile of nothing that might be able to come together with enough bouncing is a long tradition for Rogue, but it's not like they're the devs' baby.

(Also, Warlock has admittedly been having a good few years, but I'm sure you've been posting in this thread long enough to have been playing in periods where Warlock was getting jack and poo poo in terms of meaningful deck archetypes.)

Rogue was bad from Titans release (it was lower-middle for a bit before that, but not outright bad) until just after the Badlands miniset. When Velarok missed on initial release it was immediately and obviously buffed into the stratosphere; I'll admit I don't know where Rogue is going after they've tweaked that card once more but ultimately I contend the class was not allowed to be bad for two expansions straight. Shaman meanwhile has seen bottom-tier playrates since before March of the Lich King. If Rogue was similarly poo poo for an entire year I would take it off my list. It's probably the one that's come closest since I dropped Mage for it's dry spell a few years back.

Warlock's pretty consistently had either a zoo deck or a control deck at T3 or better for as long as I can recall. It's worst time was, what, the Tickatus days? When the class was on-paper bad but disproportionately seeing too much play anyway to justify a buff? Warlock's hero power is strong enough that it's pretty hard for it to be truly horrible.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Shockeh posted:

E: Play three games, all back to back Sludgelocks - "Uh oh."

Yeah definitely feels like it will be sludgestone for a few days at least. I'm 6-1 with this deck from d5. Quite fun to play and quick games.

### Sludge Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Fracking
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Tour Guide
# 2x (1) Tram Mechanic
# 2x (2) Baritone Imp
# 2x (2) Crescendo
# 2x (2) Disposal Assistant
# 2x (2) Thornveil Tentacle
# 1x (3) Furnace Fuel
# 2x (3) Sludge on Wheels
# 2x (3) Trogg Gemtosser
# 2x (3) Trolley Problem
# 2x (4) Crazed Conductor
# 1x (4) Pop'gar the Putrid
# 2x (4) Waste Remover
# 2x (6) Chaos Creation
#
AAECAcyLBQKAngb3owYOx8IFyMIF3cIF9fgFhY4GlZcGlpcGl5cGmJcGhJ4GoqAGq6AG16IGpqgGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

The counter to it is lots of small minions to soak up the sludge.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Thanks to the nerfs I dusted a few cards and can craft a legendary, I'm playing Paladin without mirage mostly, and thinking of crafting either Mirage or Popgar. Everyone saying "Sludgelock OP" makes me think it's going to get a big nerf in a week or two, so should I play safe and craft mirage? I'm running that mech deck from a few pages ago, works well with the Titan added.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

meatpimp posted:

Did something change in Battleground ratings? The past 4 or 5 seasons, I rocked to the 6k tier and ended up mid-7/low-8k at the end of the season.

This season, I had to grind through the 5k tier and I'm barely creeping up after 6k...

Did I get bad, everyone else got good, or were there mechanic or rating changes I don't know about?

I normally sit between 8500 and 10k and this season I spent a lot of time between 6k and 7500. Honestly I think it's just been such a high roll poo poo storm lately that I either get first or stomped out of existence by whoever gets golden bird+baron on like turn 9, so I concede a lot more often than I normally would. I also end up searching for the plays I need to be competitive for first and if they don't appear I lose hard or again, concede.
In more stable metas where I can just push economy and then find a condition I'm much more likely to play through. That's obviously going to give you a much higher average placement and I've started trying to correct back that way. Lubber being fixed has helped things in that regard for sure.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

With duels coming to an end, I've tried dipping my feet back into Arena this past month. gently caress I remember why I didn't play arena. I can feel good about the deck I built, but I'll still run into the most absurd decks right out the gate. And it's not as though my deck gets better. I'm just stuck with something not good enough. :smith:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in badlands, I've played arena a few times, and picked shaman twice, and both times landed holli'dae as my opening legendary, and both times was eventually given a bucket in which I already had a copy of all three cards

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Snuck into Legend on the last day. I did most of the climb with Sludge Warlock (pre-balance changes), farming the slow decks spawned by the miniset, but I stalled out on literally Diamond 1, running into either Paladins or the mirror in almost every game. I then switched to Excavate Rogue, hoping to ride the glut of Paladins the rest of the way… only to immediately stop seeing them and instead running into a never ending stream of bad matchups and mirrors.

I was getting kind of frustrated, so I started flipping through my decklists after the balance patch, sifting for something that didn’t seem miserable to play… and landed on Arcane Hunter. It’s not very popular right now, but it has a solid matchup with Sludge Warlock (they hurt themselves enough that you can often steal lethals off them) and even plays two miniset cards, so at least there was some novelty to be had. The change of perspective must have worked, because I went 7-1 the rest of the way.

It’s an aggressive deck, and one that plays quick games, but by no means a simple one to pilot. (Weirdly I find the deck much more compelling with the Secret package culled from the list.) The mulligan decisions and play sequencing is surprisingly complicated, and if you enjoy solving lethal puzzles and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, this deck is for you.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arcane Hunter rules, bummer that it's getting more or less deleted by the rotation unless they put a whole lot of support in the next core set

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I hit Legend for the first time ever after starting playing this game maybe a decade ago. Obviously big breaks throughout, but this feels like a loving awesome achievement for me, personally. Got up to D2 with Sludgelock (the super streamlined list) which just absolutely crushes, but around D2 there was a lot of Aggro Pally that was faster and Control Warrior types that were able to control the early board with spells. So I switched back to the deck I climbed from D10-D6 with, Plague DK, which kind of feasted on both aggro pally, sludgelock as well as the slower warrior decks. Went from D2 to Legend in 4-5 games. gently caress yes.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sandwolf posted:

I hit Legend for the first time ever after starting playing this game maybe a decade ago. Obviously big breaks throughout, but this feels like a loving awesome achievement for me, personally. Got up to D2 with Sludgelock (the super streamlined list) which just absolutely crushes, but around D2 there was a lot of Aggro Pally that was faster and Control Warrior types that were able to control the early board with spells. So I switched back to the deck I climbed from D10-D6 with, Plague DK, which kind of feasted on both aggro pally, sludgelock as well as the slower warrior decks. Went from D2 to Legend in 4-5 games. gently caress yes.

What's your list?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sloppy posted:

What's your list?

Sludgelock:

### Sludgelock
# Class: Warlock
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Fracking
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 2x (1) Monstrous Form
# 2x (2) Baritone Imp
# 2x (2) Crescendo
# 2x (2) Disposal Assistant
# 1x (2) Elementium Geode
# 2x (3) Forge of Wills
# 2x (3) Sludge on Wheels
# 2x (3) Trogg Gemtosser
# 2x (3) Trolley Problem
# 2x (4) Crazed Conductor
# 1x (4) Pop'gar the Putrid
# 2x (4) Waste Remover
# 2x (6) Chaos Creation
#
AAECAdX8BQKAngajoAYOhKAEx8IFyMIF3cIF1/oF5v8FhY4GlZcGlpcGl5cGhJ4GoqAGq6AGpqgGAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Plague Death Knight (incidentally, I ran this deck without Reska for a long time, Sindragosa was actually a pretty good alternative, but the Azerite Rat +Reska combo is pretty insane):

### Plague Knight
# Class: Death Knight
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Staff of the Primus
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Distressed Kvaldir
# 2x (2) Down with the Ship
# 2x (2) Kobold Miner
# 2x (2) Pile of Bones
# 2x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 2x (3) Reap What You Sow
# 1x (4) Helya
# 2x (4) Skeleton Crew
# 2x (4) Tomb Traitor
# 2x (5) Burrow Buster
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (8) The Primus
# 1x (9) Yogg-Saron, Unleashed
# 2x (11) Chained Guardian
# 1x (20) Reska, the Pit Boss
#
AAECAc38BQak7wTipAWT+wXt/wWplQb/lwYMh/YEopkF9fcFgvgF8vgFu/kF6/8FyoMG0IMG9YwG94wG85EGAAA=
#

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Time to get sick and tWiStEd in this new season's mode. :c00l:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Yestermoment posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-1xvOCALYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Yestermoment posted:

Oh man, just common cards? Pauper hearthstone... thats... interesting. Probably will end up just being zoolock stone though.