Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The only thing that has made me even close to consider Infinity are the military werewolves; might pick one up just to paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I bought some when a friend said he was getting into it. Non-heroic scaled minis are a real ball ache when you’re getting used to painting them for the first time

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
After painting a bunch of Infinity models the last year or so, I really dislike the goofy proportions of things like Space Marines now. It took a little getting used to in regards to painting techniques but I’m definitely a convert now.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I surprised myself at how quickly Padme and her crew came together. I had been daunted by them for a while but when I got to it, they went quickly and were fun. I'd like the gradient on one of the handmaiden's robes to be smoother, but so it goes.

Now I just need to paint four more models to be all caught up ahead of the next wave of releases.

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think I mentioned I'd messed up my motivation by trying to batch paint some models.. the other week I'd managed 2 at once but 3 messed me up.. Anyway I'm very nearly finished these 3 but I painted a skull in this guys canopy and I wanted to share it.

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Shoehead posted:

I think I mentioned I'd messed up my motivation by trying to batch paint some models.. the other week I'd managed 2 at once but 3 messed me up.. Anyway I'm very nearly finished these 3 but I painted a skull in this guys canopy and I wanted to share it.

Haven't seen anyone do designs on the Votann visors before, this is :krad:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Shoehead posted:

This reminds me of a stumpy little Titanfall mech.

Nice job!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Shoehead posted:

It's smizing :3

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shoehead posted:

"Hey, who turned out the lights?" :v:

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Virtual Russian posted:

I just browsed the line and I see what you mean! I'm not in the market for a new game, but those minis look great.

I never cared for scifi stuff, but both the Infinity models and game are so good I have 4 armies and still buy mini's from other factions just to paint.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shoehead posted:

this owns so hard, goddamn

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Shoehead posted:

A Good Idea (TM)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

extremely relatable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tclkfs5c8HU&t=328s

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Cheat mode for squiggles to represent writing;

Thank you so much everyone! I got it finished today. I had a lot of trouble with trying to get the Vallejo umber wash I had (closest to sepia I could find) to not coffee stain, but that's definitely user error and not a fault of the advice. I liked the pin washing, I had to go and touch up some oopsies and I might do it with a dark brown next time but it was a good call!

The fine liner pen idea was perfect! I used a .3 mm fineline Pigma Micron and it was so easy. Thank you! I did end up adding some blue grey shading but it didnt end up sticking out too much, but in softer lighting you can definitely see it. Something I'm going to have to work on getting good blends out of in the future.

The sun's out so the pictures are a little skewed, but here's the final result. I'd really appreciate any feedback about what I can improve on, or stuff that would still be reasonable to come back to and get better. I'm not super happy with the static grass but I'll work on that as I go

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If you watered down that blue for the cloak I bet you could make a great shade. I’m a big fan of blue-whites, it reminds me of snow :)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

If you watered down that blue for the cloak I bet you could make a great shade. I’m a big fan of blue-whites, it reminds me of snow :)

It's Talassar Blue contrast lightened up with PA bold titanium white, with some flow improver and medium added until it looked like contrast paint again. Is that something I can realistically use as a shade?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I honestly don’t have too much experience with Contrasts, however my initial thoughts are that you could water it down a bit, shade, then rebase the white feathers where needed?

Anyone else have more experience with Contrasts? I have mostly just used them to finish colors the way some yt artists do :shrug:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You want to thin Contrasts with the Contrast medium, ideally. Water can do it but the performance will not be the same. Same reason you don't want to put Contrasts on a wet palette.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
this post has a soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zAT15vaFk

tiny cars in a tiny desert

beep beep

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

there's so much about that that's frustrating but the gradient on the window and the simple highlight is probably the worst (best) part

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Personally I hate the amazing looking rust- what game are all these little penny cars for? I’d like to see some battle scenes.

I gave away my little tank to a student who was leaving for back home. He was always checking out my work and I thought it would be a nice gift, along with a book. If I do end up collecting Epic I think I’d rather go with Emperor’s Children, just to do something different

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got 2 guys finished

Skull canopy guy!

Guy who loves the Hart Foundation!

Just 2 more guys til this squad is done, these are from the boarding patrol I cluelessly bought in july and accidentally forced myself down the rabbit hole of PAINTS, so I'm pretty excited to have some of that put to bed. Thing is a baby is on the way this month and I'm now in a race against time with how slow I paint. Will he show up before I finish these lads?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Dude, what are you??

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finished my Kruleboyz Gutrippaz today! Pretty happy with how they turned out (= about the best I can do at the moment). First time dipping my toe in shading/highlighting (skin) and basing, too.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

You absolute animal! These are so cool!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Finished my Venomcrawler last night, this is definitely the biggest thing I've finished so far. Pretty happy with it but it but the immense amount of trim has turned me off Demon engines and I don't think I'll be using the Forgefiend I got, at least not for a while.

Next up is a rhino!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally finished these guys up, but I used a new camera that I’m not familiar with, so everything is softened :doh:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Professor Shark posted:

I finally finished these guys up, but I used a new camera that I’m not familiar with, so everything is softened :doh:

You should look up focus stacking, additionally try stopping down a bunch (bigger aperture number, or F number) which will increase the depth of your focal plane. Be aware that this is actually making the aperture smaller so you need to compensate for this by either increasing the length of your exposure or by increasing the brightness of the light on the models. Or both. It already looks like your pics are a bit underexposed.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

RangerScum posted:

You should look up focus stacking,
I didn't know this was the term for what I've been trying to fix in my mid-game photos for years now. Thank you.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Finished a squad of elementals that I will probably be using as either just battle armor or infantry since I don't play as the Clans.

QuasarInfinity
Mar 13, 2003

I routinely spend all of my money on Warhammer models.
How much should I thin down pledge floor polish to keep it from clogging my airbrush?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Probably none if you're cutting it 50/50 with water, but you could also do something even easier:

Make a big bucket of it and dunk your model in. You may want to use your airbrush to blow drops off, but the floor polish varnishes are self-leveling so you'll get an ultra-thin surface layer no matter what as long as you're careful to prevent it from pooling anywhere. Afterwards, if you put it on a wire cookie cooling sheet with a drip pan under it and turn it once or twice during the first hour it's drying you'll get a nice varnish coat for minimal effort (if you forget to turn it you may need to do a little cleanup on the bottom of the base). Just be sure to use tongs/nitrile gloves while turning it because that first hour is when you might leave fingerprints.

I've done this with all of my minis for the past few years (sometimes multiple times between layers) and I've never had it clog up details.

Pledge is out of production, but Quick Shine works just as well. It's opaque white unlike Pledge, but it dries perfectly clear.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 1, 2024

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I got myself the new genestealers, they're a huge upgrade over the old ones, they're really nice looking minis that sell the sense of motion they should have.

I also dug up an old carnifex model from a storage box. It was the first one I got starting out in 40K, built as a godfex originally then pulled apart to make a sniperfex and banished to storage once that loadout became illegal. I wanted to fix it up, see what I could do with it.

A veteran carnifex back from the dead? I think I've head that one before...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I appreciate your rehab work on that model, but it causes me physical pain in my withered and aged form to see that kit referred to as "the old carnifex."

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Thanks. I got that carnifex in 2005, which was just a few years ago, right? :corsair:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

That's super cool, it puts me in mind of the one eyed T-Rex from Dino Crisis 2

Who is obviously cool as hell

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross posting.
Still working through an Imperialis spue. Tried out a new photo setup, but I think it's washing them out a bit.

QuasarInfinity
Mar 13, 2003

I routinely spend all of my money on Warhammer models.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Probably none if you're cutting it 50/50 with water, but you could also do something even easier:

Make a big bucket of it and dunk your model in. You may want to use your airbrush to blow drops off, but the floor polish varnishes are self-leveling so you'll get an ultra-thin surface layer no matter what as long as you're careful to prevent it from pooling anywhere. Afterwards, if you put it on a wire cookie cooling sheet with a drip pan under it and turn it once or twice during the first hour it's drying you'll get a nice varnish coat for minimal effort (if you forget to turn it you may need to do a little cleanup on the bottom of the base). Just be sure to use tongs/nitrile gloves while turning it because that first hour is when you might leave fingerprints.

I've done this with all of my minis for the past few years (sometimes multiple times between layers) and I've never had it clog up details.

Pledge is out of production, but Quick Shine works just as well. It's opaque white unlike Pledge, but it dries perfectly clear.

Thanks, 50/50 worked really well through the airbrush. I'm varnishing the GW boarding action terrain, so I'd need a pretty big container to dip the pieces.

It's good to know about the Quick Shine too. I have a big bottle of pledge that I've been using for the past six years, but I imagine it will run out someday.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Finished up another of Bite the Bullet's fantastic turtles. Not my proudest paint job, but I was attempting a lot of stuff I'm not good at yet, so I've got to fail another 900 times or so and I'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

did you paint the rock or use a real one?