Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

hamas ftw posted:

god drat look at that waist :eyepop:

No horny, pls. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m at work I regret it

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

No horny, pls. :colbert:

big, hot, natural

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

This is only true if you consider everyone in this thread to be among the world's poor. The suffering will absolutely affect middle class and likely even upper middle class people in western countries, though. We're well, well beyond the point where we can pretend this is a problem for poor countries somewhere else.

In absolute terms, sure. In relative terms, not so much.

In other words: sure, middle class westerners will continually be worse off. Even upper class westerners will be continually worse off in my opinion.
But that decline will pale relative to the catastrophic decline that poor people in developing countries will experience. What’s a deteriorating living standard when a random heat wave kills off thousands of people in India? Kills tens of thousands due to a failed harvest? Displaces millions due to desertification? Causes local wars to flare up over water and arable land?

If anything, the western elite will use this divergent chasm to stress how good things are in the West relatively speaking, and how grateful its citizens should be, and that “things are not so bad”. This will be combined with constant ‘othering’ and effective, because desperate, starved, sick and traumatized brown people will provide perfect material to depict them as little more than animals.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

morothar posted:

in fairness, the suffering will be concentrated among the world’s poor, and we see people compartmentalizing already when it comes to refugees and immigrants.

morothar posted:

In other words: sure, middle class westerners will continually be worse off. Even upper class westerners will be continually worse off in my opinion.
But that decline will pale relative to the catastrophic decline that poor people in developing countries will experience. What’s a deteriorating living standard when a random heat wave kills off thousands of people in India? Kills tens of thousands due to a failed harvest? Displaces millions due to desertification? Causes local wars to flare up over water and arable land?

If anything, the western elite will use this divergent chasm to stress how good things are in the West relatively speaking, and how grateful its citizens should be, and that “things are not so bad”. This will be combined with constant ‘othering’ and effective, because desperate, starved, sick and traumatized brown people will provide perfect material to depict them as little more than animals.

lmao when your house is incinerated or your water table poisoned, only the ludicrously wealthy are going to be able to shrug and go on with their day, just absolute cope-brain to think what's coming is going to stick to our society's traditional targets. oh sure they'll suffer first and most, but look at what happened to all those white middle class homeowners in Paradise, CA.

That's your future.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

morothar posted:

sure they're gonna lean on that, for a time, but even that level of gaslighting is only gonna be effective for a few years tops. where we're going there wont be citizens or a west for much longer:

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

lmao when your house is incinerated or your water table poisoned, only the ludicrously wealthy are going to be able to shrug and go on with their day, just absolute cope-brain to think what's coming is going to stick to our society's traditional targets. oh sure they'll suffer first and most, but look at what happened to all those white middle class homeowners in Paradise, CA.

That's your future present past. the future is gonna be a lot worse.

its not bad yet

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What it will look like, in the US anyway, is balkanization. States/regions more capable of self sufficiency will either fare better than those without (ie Arizona, Florida), or those less fortunate states will invade to extract resources the same way the 1st world exploits resource right 3rd world countries. Nowhere is safe from the effects, but some places will fare much better than others, and there will be no way for armed conflict to be avoided. I'm not sure we're prepared for the scope of violence among US citizens, to say nothing of the outright genocide that will be done to climate refugees from elsewhere in the world. poo poo is so utterly hosed and we keep throwing gasoline on the fire.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
At the end of it all, more money will be spent denying climate change than fighting it.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Beetus posted:

What it will look like, in the US anyway, is balkanization. States/regions more capable of self sufficiency will either fare better than those without (ie Arizona, Florida), or those less fortunate states will invade to extract resources the same way the 1st world exploits resource right 3rd world countries. Nowhere is safe from the effects, but some places will fare much better than others, and there will be no way for armed conflict to be avoided. I'm not sure we're prepared for the scope of violence among US citizens, to say nothing of the outright genocide that will be done to climate refugees from elsewhere in the world. poo poo is so utterly hosed and we keep throwing gasoline on the fire.

good news: based on current trends the conflict will end quickly

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well I hope not too quickly, I still have to finish up this playthrough of Baldur's gate 3

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
you probably have 100 hours but u better get cracking

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
When number starts to go down and not show any signs of going back up we're going to see the attempt to convert to formal enslavement of the so-called middle classes

Question is will the military go along with it or will are toops rather run home and play videogames while they still can

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Car Hater posted:

When number starts to go down and not show any signs of going back up we're going to see the attempt to convert to formal enslavement of the so-called middle classes

Question is will the military go along with it or will are toops rather run home and play videogames while they still can

Number is not going to go down. Number is going to be UP, the premium consumer will be healthy, and everything will be peachy as long as there is still a capacity to publish official statistics. I think what you're going to see is the degree to which outright lies are necessary to sustain that head to the moon, but until the day the fiction cannot be physically maintained, Number will be fine.

e: just replace number with a big hand painted sign hung up on the wall street bull that says "the rich are still in charge"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

That's your future.

that’s never going to happen to me though

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

that’s never going to happen to me though

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

That's your future.

Yep. The thing about being middle class in the US is that it's actually super easy for you to just get kicked out on your rear end and nobody will care. The systems that are supposed to protect your privileged position in society don't actually exist for your benefit.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The actual climate doom isn't even strictly necessary. All it's going to take to ruin a few million "it can't happen to me" white homeowners is a home insurance market going titty up for a little too long while Sleepy Joe and Orange Man Bad fight about doing anything to fix it.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
will 25m of sea level rise affect my property values? :smuggo:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Oldest Man posted:

The actual climate doom isn't even strictly necessary. All it's going to take to ruin a few million "it can't happen to me" white homeowners is a home insurance market going titty up for a little too long while Sleepy Joe and Orange Man Bad fight about doing anything to fix it.

But doctor, that is number

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

You don’t even need climate change itself. Bog standard resource depletion and exergy collapse will crush the middle-class and embiggen the power of of the elite to go full fash.

That scene about oil in Three Days Of The Condor.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

25m sea level rise? Sounds like the rise of Pittsburgh amirite?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Car Hater posted:

But doctor, that is number

My inverse triple leveraged insurance default swaps are doing great, sorry you weren't savvy enough to get told by your friend at Treasury to buy a hundo's worth three minutes before the white house presser where they announced the republicans blocked the bailout

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Yep. The thing about being middle class in the US is that it's actually super easy for you to just get kicked out on your rear end and nobody will care. The systems that are supposed to protect your privileged position in society don't actually exist for your benefit.

i can't find the article, but there was one about them (? or another community incinerated in CA over the last few years, maybe lake county or LA) where residents were literally receiving the letters cancelling their fire insurance as the sheriff was driving up their driveway to force them to evacuate

number go up baby

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
number will always go up because we will just re-define number to only count things that go up

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
absolute value number :hmmyes:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Puppy Burner posted:

will 25m of sea level rise affect my property values? :smuggo:

my house is like 130m above the ocean so I’m obviously going to be fine

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Better than fine: prices are just going to go up for you!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

morothar posted:

yep

quote:

The maps in the left column show the full range of the multi-sector risk (MSR) score (0–9), with scores ≤5.0 shown with a transparency gradient and scores >5.0 shown with a colour gradient. Score must be >4.0 to be considered ‘multi-sector’. The maps in the right column overlay the 2050 vulnerable populations (low income) under Shared Socio-Economic Pathway (SSP)2 (greyscale) with the multi-sector risk score >5.0 (colour gradient), thus indicating the concentrations of exposed and vulnerable populations to risks in multiple sectors. Source: Byers et al. (2018).

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

tempting fate ftw

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Aquaman has deep pockets and is willing to wait for the market to adjust

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nepal is playing the long game right now

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

we’re hurtling past 2c though?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pink Mist posted:

We're not hurtling, this is just an exceptionally large pothole. We'll be back on the road soon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Remember everyone, freezing to death in your own house, having your city burn down, or becoming a refugee because the financial rube goldberg machine that kept you housed collapsed doesn't make you vulnerable unless you're on <$10 a day

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

But will I be ok?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Pink Mist posted:

hurtling in a geological sense, but in a human-timescales sense there's at least a few decades between when the mass heatwave deaths start in india and when agriculture starts to fail nebraska

we're all hosed, but the heatwave rolls from the south up over the course of 30 - 50 years. they're hosed *first*. we get to go to work and watch it on the news for a bit.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Jan 30, 2024

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's pure vibesposting but I'm not sure I buy that hype. Every time I go anywhere in the Midwest or upper central states the past couple years it's either too wet or not enough wet, plus or minus a bunch of heat and wildfire smoke

poo poo are be hosed

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MightyBigMinus posted:

hurtling in a geological sense, but in a human-timescales sense there's at least a few decades between when the mass heatwave deaths start in india and when agriculture starts to fail nebraska

Oh, okay! I guess that means that there's plenty of time for me to enjoy my treats! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/climateguyw/status/1752082597096620155?t=LoruoG5lxf0WKyFL8oIl1Q&s=19