Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, it is possible for a character to be flat-out wrong. Kim said they were poison together, but she's not entirely right, or at least that isn't the whole story. They keep pushing each other on, until Kim can't take it and leaves, and by that time, Jimmy is so good at it, he can go it alone.

Slipping Jimmy exists and he and Marco play off each other. Chuck tries to change Jimmy. He meets Kim and he eventually puts in a little bit of Saul there with her. She responds with upping it a bit. Jimmy/Saul then thinks of more grifts, with Kim once again coming back with something more. Jimmy even pulls that speech about Chuck and changing his practicing name to Saul, much to Kim's chagrin or at least confusion. Jimmy goes too far with the Mesa Verde thing and sure enough, Kim comes back (eventually) with the Howard plot. Even during that, Jimmy almost flakes out, is totally prepared to drop it all, but Kim persists and keeps that going.

Howard dying due to their actions breaks Kim from the streak, but not Jimmy. He's kind of a broken person at that point, but his mentality is that one day, he's gonna wake up and go his whole day, and realize at the end of it that he didn't think about it once (and I'm assuming that'd mean grifting or at least creatively lawyering like he always does). Kim can't do that.

Her leaving just pushes him into full-on Saul mode. Kim leaving Jimmy is like when Jack Napier gets dropped into the Acme chemicals vat*; he was bad before, but now it's his entirety.

*or when 'red hood' has his really bad day and his mind snaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Rhea Seehorn's headcanon is that Kim lawyers Saul out of his life sentence which is a fun concept to think about, but I would prefer not to see it on screen.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Aye Doc posted:

this is one of the shittiest most cash grabby rear end things you will ever watch

Wrong. I will not watch it

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't know why, I guess I hate myself, but I watched the whole thing. It's only six episodes, but still. Do not watch even a second of it, but this video is far more entertaining than anything in the show itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCGEZNuJWY

This one too:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkTARmRHIc

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

thread relevant by the transitive property; this was cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wtZnrOJJM8

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Not unexpected to see Rhea not finally win the supporting actress Emmy she deserves, but it was still a disappointment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What a sick joke.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Horseshit.

That woman somehow deserves to win an Oscar for a TV show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit whoever it is who decides who wins an Emmy, you hosed it up :mad:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Justice for Rhea

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They gave it to the worst actress in Legally Blonde. WTF is wrong with TV people.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhea should have won in an earlier season. Wasn’t she legit missing in a bunch of episodes this season? This was Odenkirk’s season through and through.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

Whoops, nevermind.

Schlonged Again fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 16, 2024

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vegetable posted:

Rhea should have won in an earlier season. Wasn’t she legit missing in a bunch of episodes this season? This was Odenkirk’s season through and through.
The six episodes up for consideration this year had her as co-lead for the first two, then absent for the first two Gene episodes before coming back big in the penultimate episode "Waterworks", which is technically what she was up for an Emmy for.

The weird and generally not really well publicized thing about the Emmys is that actors (or whoever is submitting on their behalf) submit a single episode to be the official thing being considered for the award. Odenkirk put in the finale for this year's awards, while Seehorn submitted "Waterworks".

Part of the idea behind this is to allow both the nominating committee and the voters to not have to watch 10-20 hours of television to consider every submission/nomination, but it's also part of why more popular shows tend to win; officially you're supposed to be considering the performance in that one episode, but obviously lots of people watched and had emotional connection/affection for [insert very popular show and its performers] and also results in some confusing nominations for someone who had one big showcase bit in a show but was otherwise uneven or unremarkable or outshone in general by some of their fellow cast members.

It's all weird and not really binding but it's also even extends to "best ______ series", where you're supposed to submit six episodes. This worked out fine for BCS since it only had its last six episodes released in the qualifying span for these Emmys, but it also means that technically The Bear won best comedy for episodes 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, and 8 and Succession won for episodes 1-3 and 8-10. I doubt many people skipped around like that, or only really thought about a single episode of any of the shows when casting their votes.

This all probably made more sense when most television had 20-30 mostly standalone episodes a year and you had to somehow provide screenings/screeners physically to everyone, it would be a lot easier to judge whether you thought Cheers or Seinfeld or Frasier or the Golden Girls were funnier based on their six best episodes of a given season than it would be to judge a lot of recent comedies, and it would absolutely be easier to get a vibe from six selected episodes of Law & Order/Murder She Wrote/ER/Cagney & Lacey/Quantum Leap than jumping around in modern serialized dramas.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I felt the front half was stronger than the back half and that after not winning last year this year was unlikely. Sad to see that happen.

Awards are hard because not all years are created equal. Some years have a bounty of excellent, incredible television like the past few when every company shot the money gun at content for streaming services or cable prestige.

This show deserved it though, especially some early and middle seasons. Of the 53 nominations you would think the jury would give them one. They only need one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know award shows are a joke but giving one of the greatest shows the most Emmy losses ever is on another level. Giving the bad seasons of Game of Thrones the Best Drama win over it four times looks even worse now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The sad part is that while TV has always been a bastard medium absolutely drowning in garbage the death of cable networks and the pivot of streamers from "prestige" to courting nerd culture the same way Film did ten years ago has all but assured us that in both the foreseeable and unforeseeable future the Televised medium is effectively dead. This could have been their last chance to grab what tiny fragments of prestige were available by honoring one of the few shows that managed to rise beyond its failed medium.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Forget awards shows, what I find unfortunate is that, likely due to timing and it only being on FX at the time, The Shield is constantly overlooked when those lists of "best TV dramas" or "best show endings from the last 20-30 years" is made. I mean, those exist purely for the clicks, they add nothing of value, it's just buzzfeed listicle garbage, but still... goddamn, it's NEVER on there and while I know it's not perfect, it is very, very good.

The Wire was more accurate, but the Shield was more dramatic, if we're comparing cop shows that came out around the same time.

And it's not even about it being too old, as The Sopranos and Six Feet Under came out before and always get mentioned. Is it a network thing?

Look, obviously there are MANY shows that are great through and through, but at least when it comes to comparing shows to Breaking Bad, The Shield comes close. The memorable line from Walt "I've made choices, those choices have consequences. And those consequences... they're coming...." applies just as much to that show as it does The Shield.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic, but if there's anyone reading this who hasn't yet watched it, I can't recommend it enough.

Especially when you get to season 5 and the rollercoaster of wild poo poo that rides out from there until 'Family Meeting'.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I know award shows are a joke but giving one of the greatest shows the most Emmy losses ever is on another level. Giving the bad seasons of Game of Thrones the Best Drama win over it four times looks even worse now.

Such a joke. And don't get me wrong....I love GoT. But BCS getting snubbed year after year is ridiculous. Then again.....I stopped watching/caring about award shows (Emmys, Oscars, Grammys) around a decade ago. These award shows are basically just popularity contests.

Gaius Marius posted:

The sad part is that while TV has always been a bastard medium absolutely drowning in garbage the death of cable networks and the pivot of streamers from "prestige" to courting nerd culture the same way Film did ten years ago has all but assured us that in both the foreseeable and unforeseeable future the Televised medium is effectively dead. This could have been their last chance to grab what tiny fragments of prestige were available by honoring one of the few shows that managed to rise beyond its failed medium.

Wut....

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Forget awards shows, what I find unfortunate is that, likely due to timing and it only being on FX at the time, The Shield is constantly overlooked when those lists of "best TV dramas" or "best show endings from the last 20-30 years" is made. I mean, those exist purely for the clicks, they add nothing of value, it's just buzzfeed listicle garbage, but still... goddamn, it's NEVER on there and while I know it's not perfect, it is very, very good.

It got mentioned pretty regularly in the BB threads as we came up to the series finale. We were all hoping BB would end at least as well as The Shield, another show with an antihero protagonist that stuck the landing better than you would expect. There's some early 2000s cringe and the characters are inexplicably antivax for like 2 episodes, but overall it's an excellent show that most fans of BB should enjoy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/heyalyshahey/status/1746710303943881116?t=Wqpuid7skSD5ygGNgCxFCg&s=19

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Unfortunately streaming looks to be morphing into network television, what with even the paid tiers introducing adverts and the fear of creativity that comes with that. While I doubt it's going to get as bad as pre-Sopranos TV was, it's probably going to get worse than it has been.

Here's David Chase talking about it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Eh, there's enough really good stuff still being made nowadays, off the top of my head from the last couple years:

The Bear
Reservation Dogs
Fargo
White Lotus

& I'm sure others. Will agree that that the rope for finding an audience is pretty short and even that isn't enough to sustain a show (Our Flag Means Death oof). And it doesn't help that everyone's decided 10 episodes is what you get, no more, maybe less.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Oh agreed, there's still great stuff getting made right now, but it does feel like the party is winding down. I hope I'm wrong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The first season of Fargo aired ten years ago.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

...and the lastest season just wrapped. I suppose could include BEEF in that list too if you want something from just last year, but they're all recent productions by most measures.

If anything the big diff to me is that there's so many loving services out there that somethign amazing can be made (The Patriot, on Amazon Prime!) but it's really, really hard to become cooler conversation level in the way that Game of Thrones was.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

BCS was TV's last hurrah. :rip:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
it's time to move on to video games, folks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doing a rewatch and it's extra criminal Fabian only got one SAG nom and nothing else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Patrick Fabian is so loving good in BCS

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

Similarly, Rhea Seehorn earned a nod for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Kim Wexler. She lost the category to Jennifer Coolidge, who won her second Emmy for playing Tanya McQuoid in The White Lotus.

Wait, whaaaat.

White Lotus is great, she's great in it, but wow what a snub.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Today I learned not only that Rhea Seehorn’s name is pronounced “Ray” but that she’s 51 years old

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cat Hassler posted:

Today I learned not only that Rhea Seehorn’s name is pronounced “Ray” but that she’s 51 years old
:psyboom:

Get the gently caress outta' here!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Might not look 51, but she was an adult when she taught us all about magic the gathering in the 90s.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Might not look 51, but she was an adult when she taught us all about magic the gathering in the 90s.

Ok, now I have to look this up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jp4tMSIr_U&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2F&feature=emb_logo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/beetlemoses/status/1748830499684946066?t=UeZ3uaCmS6Ae7zoz4ZHNtw&s=19

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The "Breaking Bad, but Hank Finds Out ____" genre is booming nowadays.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Unfortunately streaming looks to be morphing into network television, what with even the paid tiers introducing adverts and the fear of creativity that comes with that. While I doubt it's going to get as bad as pre-Sopranos TV was, it's probably going to get worse than it has been.

Here's David Chase talking about it.

For the past five years or so.....I'd argue that there is more good television/streaming shows than there is time to watch it all. I'm not concerned about a pullback. There are still going to be plenty of good shows being made.

Also....on the note of BCS....I started watching 'Lucky Hank'. Ancillary characters are pretty weak......fortunately Bob Odenkirk is good enough to float the boat.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 30, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

fortunately Bob Odenkirk is good enough to float the boat.

Yeah, well, about that show....

Also, anyone who's interested in seeing more intense Odenkirk, check out The Bear. It's a really great show, and while he's barely in it, the Christmas dinner scene is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kevin Nealon has a show called “Hiking with Kevin” and there’s an episode with Bob Odenkirk and one with Bryan Cranston and they’re both great