Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Kitfox88 posted:

Budget - $0-50
Source - Pixel 6a (USB-C connection or wireless, no headphone jack on the phone)
Intended use case - Going on a 12-24 hour Amtrak trip the 30th and don't wanna be bothering other travelers with my bullshit/be bothered by their bullshit
Preferred Headphone features - Uh, I was fine with the earbuds that came with my iphone back when? Having some sort of flexible thing like a rubber sheath or such would be nice though, the earbuds would hurt after a few hours at most.

I'm aware I won't be getting any incredible high end poo poo with this budget, I mostly just don't want to step on a landmind w/r/t build quality or such but I don't recognize any of the names I'm seeing on amazon to know what to avoid.

A bit late to this party, but if I was in this position I'd go for something like the Anker Q20, which can be found for < $50 fairly often. They're over-ears, which I find a bit more comfortable for long periods of time. The other advantage of them is that the battery life is significantly higher (Specs say 40-60 hours?!) so you can leave them on for your entire trip rather than having to worry about charging them every few hours like earbuds (although you might be able to alternate earbuds). The downside are the over ears can make your ears/head warm over time and they're obviously not as compact so you can't just toss them in your pocket.

That said, the battery life issue may not be nearly as big of deal on a train since I imagine they're quite a bit quieter than a plane. Planes have such a high noise floor that I really can't stand it without noise-cancelling after years of using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Pegnose Pete posted:

Eh, HDD space is a non issue for me, and it’s just a fun thing to do. I’m not 100% a stickler for format, but I try to seek out the versions of albums with the best DR, and in some cases that means the SACD. If a normal 16bit CD has the best sounding version of the album to me, I’ll be happy with that.

Man this post just gave me insane what.cd nostalgia (not really sure why just kinda popped up), I used to rip all my CDs to .flac and wtvr the couldn't-really-tell-a-differece .vbr was.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are the moondrops a few pages back the currently recommended for cheap TWS? I'd like to get some earbuds for biking with a helmet on and I've been considering the anker X10s and the Anker P3 Life. The X10s have the little ear hook thingies that I kinda like, but I haven't used shove-in-earhole earbuds in years so maybe that's worth trying.

All I really want is something that can do audiobooks, podcasts, lightly block out the world around me, and play music "decently" when I can't focus enough to listen to voices in my head. My current normal headphones are Anker Q35s, and I'm pretty happy with them, tho another reason for getting earbuds are to have something cooler in the summer.

The Moondrops are $25, and the ankers are ~$60-70; is there enough of a difference there to notice much difference in quality? Also, if anyone uses earhook earbuds, gimme your recs.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Appoda posted:

Are the moondrops a few pages back the currently recommended for cheap TWS?

The Moondrops are $25, and the ankers are ~$60-70; is there enough of a difference there to notice much difference in quality? Also, if anyone uses earhook earbuds, gimme your recs.

In terms of sound quality they compare pretty well against my much more expensive Samsung buds (2 Pro). You can definitely feel the cheap in spots, though. The case is a bit fiddly, sometimes there's not as much audio feedback on touch input as you might like, and the companion app is pretty basic and not fully localized.

Even with caveats, they're tremendously difficult to beat for the price.

Also, don't bike with blocked hearing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

In terms of sound quality they compare pretty well against my much more expensive Samsung buds (2 Pro). You can definitely feel the cheap in spots, though. The case is a bit fiddly, sometimes there's not as much audio feedback on touch input as you might like, and the companion app is pretty basic and not fully localized.

Even with caveats, they're tremendously difficult to beat for the price.

Also, don't bike with blocked hearing.

Yeah the touch input is kinda terrible on the space travels.

I managed to activate game mode once and no mater what I do now it won’t either turn on or off. They are good for the price but the case is whack AF.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks for the input on 7506 replacements, I think my shortlist is AKG 371, AKG M50 and maybe the Rode NTH-100 [if they fixed the adjustment pivot thing that breaks]. Shades of the old Sony V700s which all broke in the exact same spot.

I'm going to sell my Fiio BTR7, I'm just not using it enough. Any interest here before I chuck it on ebay?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i have enormous ear canals. like the diameter of my finger. large size earbud tips are hit and miss. foam earplugs often fall out.

a friend gave me the vaguely silicone coated foam or whatever tips that came with his WF-1000XM4 earbuds, and those were pretty good. they actually kept sound out, too; i've been sorely disappointed with various other aftermarket tips. unfortunately i thoroughly wore them out, went back to some memory foam tips and proceeded to hear everything. Spinfits were garbage and a total waste of money. Comply is pretty mediocre.

is there a good brand of huge rear end earbud tips for beats fit pros? and is there one that actually does a great job of noise isolation? i ride the subway. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to just buy the actual Sony earbud tips that come with the WF-1000XM4...?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Just ordered b-stock LCD-X’s for 1111 EUR

r.i.p. my neck I guess

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Nah they are not that bad, at least they are built well! But awesome headphones, love mine.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Coincidentally I’m trying to get back into the gym / sports thing as I feel the need for muscles with my hiking and bird photography hobbies and also I am a fat goon

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My brother wants some over the ear wireless headphones, and has a budget of $200. My recommendation to him were some WH1000XM4, which I’ve had a few years and absolutely love, but those are out of his price range.

He’ll be using it mostly on his phone (iPhone) and laptop. Any suggestions?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My brother wants some over the ear wireless headphones, and has a budget of $200. My recommendation to him were some WH1000XM4, which I’ve had a few years and absolutely love, but those are out of his price range.

If he's fine with refurbished, Secondipity on eBay is generally the go-to for refurbished Sony headphones, as tons of people on Slickdeals have had good experiences in what they've gotten (myself included when I got my XM3s a while back, and I'd be hard pressed to tell they weren't new).

They have the WH-1000XM4 for $180 BIN on their eBay store.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dk..._nkw=wh-1000xm4

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sorbus posted:

Just ordered b-stock LCD-X’s for 1111 EUR

r.i.p. my neck I guess

Honestly the band pinches me if it gets out of adjustment is more of a problem than anything like they are heavy but I don’t really notice em

Also unlike my problem with knives and some peoples problem with headphones I feel like this and my lil fiio are the endgame for me and I haven’t really looked at anything else

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Used WH-1000XM4s usually sit around $150 where I live. I've had three different sets of XM3s and they all had issues with creaking around the yoke and headband slider area, so be sure to check that if buying in person. Also check for signs of cracking around the slider trim pieces since that is the most common failure on Sony flagships of all generations.

Used Bose QC 35 IIs can be found on Marketplace for $100-150. I prefer the build, sound quality, and comfort of these over the Sonys. Admittedly, their Bluetooth performance is much worse than other brands, but I tolerate it. QC 35 Series Is are slightly cheaper than the IIs but lack the ANC button on the left earcup (this setting can still be changed through the app if the firmware is up to date). Be sure to check for creaks and squeaks and make sure the pivot points move smoothly while wearing and don't chatter/bind up.

Avoid QC 45s as they are a significant downgrade in nearly every way. They sound worse than the QC 35s no matter how you EQ them, the ANC has a higher noise floor, and you can't turn it off.

If he doesn't care about ANC, the Audio-Technica M50xBT/BT2 will wipe the floor with most ANC headphones in terms of sound quality and are $200 new. They are what I used for three years until I developed comfort issues after changing the earpads for the second time on mine and they started pressing against my left ear. That's probably just me because I've had similar issues with the Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD 280s.

Avoid the Sennheiser PXC 550 IIs. They were one of the worst sounding headphones I've ever heard at any price. Used Momentum 3s and 4s might be worth checking out though.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 27, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I’m not sure he’s willing to change it on refurbs. What about new at that price point?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’m not sure he’s willing to change it on refurbs. What about new at that price point?

JBL Tune 760NC, Final Audio UX3000

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Godzilla07 posted:

JBL Tune 760NC, Final Audio UX3000

Thanks, he watched some reviews and went with the JBLs.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I need a good heaphone rec for intense isolation/noise cancelling abilities and comfort with glasses. I don't want to hear the person in the next cubicle eating doritos or going ham on a mechanical keyboard

Budget is 300

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I get good isolation with my Focal Elegias which you should be able to find around that price and wear glasses but I have very thin frames so if you have thick acetate ones they may ruin the effect. That said some people I know in very noisy environments just do IEMs under actual hearing protection.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I need a good heaphone rec for intense isolation/noise cancelling abilities and comfort with glasses. I don't want to hear the person in the next cubicle eating doritos or going ham on a mechanical keyboard

Budget is 300

Have you considered using IEMs, especially if compatibility with glasses is a concern and isolation is a priority? Personally, I prefer passive isolation over active cancellation, and I usually suggest something from Etymotics like the ER2SE (which is often on sale for $50). Their design allows for deep tip insertion, and if you use the triple flange tips, provide some of the highest passive isolation numbers you can get from an IEM (the ER2SE is rated at 35-42 dB attenuation). They basically jam right in to your head and stick straight out of your ears, so there are no issues with glasses touching them.

I can't stress enough how deep the tip insertion is though; some people find them really uncomfortable. You'll find out real quick how clean your ears are after you take them out, but with them on, the world basically stops existing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Honestly I would try some good mass market ANC earbuds first. Much easier to deal with in a public/work setting and you can wear them out and use them when you don’t want to listen to the lovely supermarket music, etc.

AirPods Pro or Beats Fit Pro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Honestly I would try some good mass market ANC earbuds first. Much easier to deal with in a public/work setting and you can wear them out and use them when you don’t want to listen to the lovely supermarket music, etc.

AirPods Pro or Beats Fit Pro.

Fwiw you can get the beats fit for $104

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2041993428...a5769c2724d0INT

I bought these and they looked new and were still eligible for Apple care for $29.

I’ve been exclusively using them over my AirPods since I got them because they just fit a lot better.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

I'm looking for a pair of over the ears headphones to use on my PC. Primarily for playing games and some TV. The main feature I'm looking for is some kind of good transparency mode.

I'm currently using Logitech G533 Wireless that I wear lopsided on my head with one ear out so I can hear For sounds coming from nearby.

The lopsided headphones have started to aggravate my skin on one side of my face and I'm somewhat sick of everything being in mono.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LeninVS posted:

I'm looking for a pair of over the ears headphones to use on my PC. Primarily for playing games and some TV. The main feature I'm looking for is some kind of good transparency mode.

I'm currently using Logitech G533 Wireless that I wear lopsided on my head with one ear out so I can hear For sounds coming from nearby.

The lopsided headphones have started to aggravate my skin on one side of my face and I'm somewhat sick of everything being in mono.

Sennheiser Game One is an open back headset with a decent boom mic. No ANC but the open back does let in ambient sounds.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've had the worst bloody luck with wireless Xbox headsets. The official Microsoft model microphone stem broke, even with limited use. The Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 kept dropping connection and every few months required a firmware reflash, and my latest Arctis Nova 7X have frozen a few times in less than a year, and now I can't even reset it to repair.

All of these headsets have been treated well, but I'm looking for a replacement. Any recommendations? Around £150 would be my limit. The Turtle Beach cans were the heaviest and left my ears hot on longer sessions, on balance the Arctis Nova are probably the nicest balance of weight, price and sound quality.

Edit: I could go above £150 if there were something of a definite improvement to hardware and firmware robustness. I don't like having to connect to my computer to download updates like a caveman.

I need something that gives a good experience with games, music and video.

Crossposting from the Xbox thread. Any suggestions?

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Sennheiser Game One is an open back headset with a decent boom mic. No ANC but the open back does let in ambient sounds.

How loud is the open back style for people nearby?
I imagine it can't be any worse than my current setup where one ear is mostly not on my head and open to the world anyway.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LeninVS posted:

How loud is the open back style for people nearby?
I imagine it can't be any worse than my current setup where one ear is mostly not on my head and open to the world anyway.

People in the same room will definitely be able to hear your game sounds, but it will still be quieter than using speakers. If you need isolation so other people can't hear but you want to be able to hear what's going on in the room then you'll need a headset with ANC that has transparency mode.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

My younger brother-in-law needs a new headset w/ mic because he keeps breaking the ones he has with his gigantic noggin. I think he's literally stressing the plastic on these devices stretching them to get over his huge melon

This is less about sound quality than getting something durable with "good enough" sound that he can use with his PC. Any recommendations?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

My younger brother-in-law needs a new headset w/ mic because he keeps breaking the ones he has with his gigantic noggin. I think he's literally stressing the plastic on these devices stretching them to get over his huge melon

This is less about sound quality than getting something durable with "good enough" sound that he can use with his PC. Any recommendations?

what is he gonna do with it?

Is it just for zoom calls? Does he want to listen to music? On his phone?

If his gourd is as big as you say then he might be better off with earbuds like Beats, etc.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

what is he gonna do with it?

Is it just for zoom calls? Does he want to listen to music? On his phone?

If his gourd is as big as you say then he might be better off with earbuds like Beats, etc.

Discord, his zoom calls for school, etc, playing games. He's got AirPods or whatever for his phone, but he spends 90% of his day at his computer which is probably half of why they're getting worn through so quickly.

I thought about wired IEMs with a stand-up mic, but I don't know much about that. Something all-in-one is probably preferred

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can deal with open back I still don't think you can beat Senn HD500-series cans with a modmic. Change pads when they get a bit grimy, and IME they'll last forever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I love the Sony inzones and they skew pretty big. I have a pretty normal size head and if they were even even slightly bigger, they'd be too loose probably. I also extend them out for VR all the time and they are pretty flexy. Not sure I'd say they are uniquely durable but they seem like they'd be perfect for someone with a big head imo. They also are great on both PC and Playstation.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Audeze LCD-X report: sounds good, are heavy but comfortable.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My quest to find a decent set of neckband in ears that don't look ridiculous or look like their listing was generated by an AI continues. The Beats ones were ok but just did not fit at all so I've passed those on to my wife as a replacement for her ultra cheap Sony ones that are ok, but extremely plastic. Now I'm trying a more expensive Sony pair with "extra bass", largely because they're properly angled to go into the ear, something which the beats completely lacked.

Also the beats ones would not display the charge level except if you opened their stupid app and accepted a bunch of EULA garbage :rolleyes:

e: ah gently caress in true Sony style they don't even support their own codec and are SBC or aac (lol come on) only. I might send them straight back.

Anyone used "Soundpeats" a stupid name like that is kind of a red flag for me?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 7, 2024

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sorbus posted:

Audeze LCD-X report: sounds good, are heavy but comfortable.

If you like/want to play with EQ they do take it very well, if you were not aware.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Rakeris posted:

If you like/want to play with EQ they do take it very well, if you were not aware.

Yeah I use oratory’s settings, haven’t actually tested these without yet.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
What I don’t like is seeing the headphones at the edge of my field of view and turning to see is there a burglar / ghost in my apartment.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone have experience with TRN BT20 Pros?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-bt20-pro?variant=44614121619673

Or anything similar in this price range? I would love to add bluetooth to some of my IEMs I have sitting around.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

My quest to find a decent set of neckband in ears that don't look ridiculous or look like their listing was generated by an AI continues. The Beats ones were ok but just did not fit at all so I've passed those on to my wife as a replacement for her ultra cheap Sony ones that are ok, but extremely plastic. Now I'm trying a more expensive Sony pair with "extra bass", largely because they're properly angled to go into the ear, something which the beats completely lacked.

Also the beats ones would not display the charge level except if you opened their stupid app and accepted a bunch of EULA garbage :rolleyes:

e: ah gently caress in true Sony style they don't even support their own codec and are SBC or aac (lol come on) only. I might send them straight back.

Anyone used "Soundpeats" a stupid name like that is kind of a red flag for me?

My observation is that even Sony's flagship offerings targeted at the general user have way too much bass out of the box. Their XB series of headphones are basically your friend's car stereo from when you were 17 and are entirely unlistenable. And, in true Sony style again, they usually don't support their own app, so you can't EQ them either (at least this was the case with XB950N1s I tried).

Maybe this is a hot take here, but codecs don't really matter if the headphones themselves sound like crap. I'm always weary when a headphone emphasizes its codec support over other, more important things. Even when I use my Fiio BTR5 with my DT 770s, I can't tell any difference between AAC and aptX anyway, so I can't imagine it would be relevant on lesser headphones either.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone have experience with TRN BT20 Pros?

They do what they say on the box, that's about it. For $20, they sound fine and are worth it imo, but don't expect low latency codecs or noise cancelling or any of the usual tws bells and whistles. For that, the Space Travel is the only option in that price range.