Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023
Why do we think the two cops are helping eachother cover up a murder they did of the abuser dude? There was really nothing on screen to indicate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sensenmann420 posted:

Why do we think the two cops are helping eachother cover up a murder they did of the abuser dude? There was really nothing on screen to indicate this

It is the implication with him being alive and Danvers saying they found him dead, though maybe it’s also possible that the whistling guy delivered some creepy-voiced monologue about the world ending/a prediction that comes true and still shot himself like they said—two detectives interpret it in different ways and have a big fight on the basis of metaphysical disagreement.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
It's also the same exact beats as S1 where Rust and Marty concoct a story to hide the fact that Marty straight up executed the perpetrator.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It'd be neat if they pulled a reversal and made Jodie Foster a dirty cop. If she did find the abuser alive at the murder scene then what else is she lying about?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snowmanatee posted:

So after Pete correctly --in what I thought was a well-written part-- said you can't just crack a password protected phone, he shows up at the hospital and says "I cracked it" so the plot can move forward. As a Season 2 defender, I want to give this season a fair shake, but it's really making it hard for me!

I don't want to obsess over this one detail because there are bigger plotting/character issues, but Danvers being ignorant enough about technology that she thinks he can crack any phone because he had one good idea on using Face ID to unlock the scientist's, and then him being like "....what, no, I'm not a hacker or forensic tech guy" is pretty good writing. And then it's completely undercut by making Danvers right without explanation.

AAAAAH, this is literally how it works. You can't get access to an encrypted phone in theory, but in practice there are countless known exploits for specific older devices and Android versions that let you bypass the login & encryption. Especially for low end android phones from 2016 like in the show, it's very plausible that he found a working exploit after searching online for a while. It's literally as easy as putting it into Google.

People need to stop getting angry at this show over completely imagined plot holes. Wtf is happening

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

AAAAAH, this is literally how it works. You can't get access to an encrypted phone in theory, but in practice there are countless known exploits for specific older devices and Android versions that let you bypass the login & encryption. Especially for low end android phones from 2016 like in the show, it's very plausible that he found a working exploit after searching online for a while. It's literally as easy as putting it into Google.

People need to stop getting angry at this show over completely imagined plot holes. Wtf is happening

This your first time reading a goon tv thread? We suck at watching television... :)

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
A show where our young detective asks around and figures out how to exploit an old device would be better than it happening off screen to no purpose.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Whale Vomit posted:

A show where our young detective asks around and figures out how to exploit an old device would be better than it happening off screen to no purpose.

There was a scene with the two main characters were driving and talking to each other to try and learn more about each other and goons were making GBS threads themselves in their rush to be mad about how literally nothing happened the entire episode as a result. Having a scene where he Googles 'how to hack samsung S2 from 2015' and they might actually die from boredom watching.

You know, on second thought, yeah, let's try it and hope for the best.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I thought we'd achieved peak goon anger when the new A Wrinkle Time series came out

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sensenmann420 posted:

Danvers' voiceover describing the scene is that they arrived and he had killed her and then shot himself. The video at the same time shows him very much alive and unarmed (at least I don't remember a gun in his hands, but I might have missed it) while staring at the dead body. Then he makes some creepy whistle that is apparently Twist and Shout (thanks, thread) while looking at the camera, presumably Danvers' perspective.

And there have been two episodes now of YoungCop going around asking everyone why Navarro and Danvers fell out and it isn't hard to jump to "one of them shot him".

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

GABA ghoul posted:

I explained in the post why it’s bad storytelling. I’ll spell it out some more. I said him arriving at the hospital with the cracked phone undercut the characters as they were presented to us in previous scenes. A) Danvers doesn’t understand technology, but was impressed he was able to unlock the other phone using Face ID. She thinks this phone will be as easy. B) But this is an unrealistic expectation as young millenial detective knows enough about technology to know that’s a ridiculous ask. Someone who knows about Android exploits would not have dialogue saying “this is impossible for me I’m not a hacker.”

So he shows up with the cracked phone anyway. Apparently he handed it off to someone else. Now this young bright detective who we’re led to believe knows what he doesn’t know, an admirable trait, turns out to be able to do anything the plot requires if Danvers simply tells him to do it with the confidence of a grandmother asking you why you don’t just make money by starting a cryptocurrency or something.

This guy has friends for everything apparently. He has a vet friend who comes in to help advance the plot for some reason. He has an offscreen hacker friend who can unlock 7 year old phones. Why do we need 3 more episodes, just call up his private detective friend to solve the case, right? If you can’t see why this is bad storytelling, I don’t know what to say man. It’s not because only you understand how to watch TV.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I just watched episodes 2 and 3 of season 2, hearing Ray say he doesn't like e-cigs beacuse if feels like sucking robot dick makes me more forgiving of Danvers using tinder to find dick and Navarro watching netflix.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sensenmann420 posted:

She said that it was a murder suicide which doesn't flow with what we saw which was him alive when they got there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GABA ghoul posted:

It's a plot hole because we're told it's an obstacle but never told how it's overcome. If it was that easy why did he say it wasn't, and if it wasn't then how did he do it so fast

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Dead on Arrival posted:

This your first time reading a goon tv thread? We suck at watching television... :)

Hurley saw a dinosaur bird damnit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know it doesn’t make any sense in context, but it really did sound like “I acquit.”

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

RedneckwithGuns posted:

If they turn things around a bit and try to hew more to the spirit of season 1 I can see things shaking out this way but if not I'm calling it that tattooed guy lost it after Annie K died and is using his access to whatever special ancient bacteria the scientists were looking for as a way to somehow bring her back to some kind of life. Except he inadvertently exposed himself and the other guys at the research station and oops the bacteria makes you crazy.

Oooooooo. That's possible. After Lund's comments in the most recent episode, if it's not Zombie Anna that they "woke up," maybe they found some kind of preserved Alaska Native woman in the ice and tried to wake her up. She's what attacked Anna in the cell phone video and the scientists were working on it in secret. Either way, it does seem they are gearing toward some sort of Natives-get-revenge-on-the-colonizers theme.

I'm enjoying the stuff about Alaskan Native culture and issues affecting that community as well as the beautiful/haunting scenery.

I do think the "magic/logic" thing between Navarro and Danvers is going to continue, and it'll probably land where everything can either be explained rationally OR some woo-woo BS

Also, as someone who grew up in a small town (not this small or remote of course) I do appreciate how everyone knows each other to the point of quasi-incestuous relationships

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowmanatee posted:

I explained in the post why it’s bad storytelling. I’ll spell it out some more. I said him arriving at the hospital with the cracked phone undercut the characters as they were presented to us in previous scenes. A) Danvers doesn’t understand technology, but was impressed he was able to unlock the other phone using Face ID. She thinks this phone will be as easy. B) But this is an unrealistic expectation as young millenial detective knows enough about technology to know that’s a ridiculous ask. Someone who knows about Android exploits would not have dialogue saying “this is impossible for me I’m not a hacker.”

So he shows up with the cracked phone anyway. Apparently he handed it off to someone else. Now this young bright detective who we’re led to believe knows what he doesn’t know, an admirable trait, turns out to be able to do anything the plot requires if Danvers simply tells him to do it with the confidence of a grandmother asking you why you don’t just make money by starting a cryptocurrency or something.

This guy has friends for everything apparently. He has a vet friend who comes in to help advance the plot for some reason. He has an offscreen hacker friend who can unlock 7 year old phones. Why do we need 3 more episodes, just call up his private detective friend to solve the case, right? If you can’t see why this is bad storytelling, I don’t know what to say man. It’s not because only you understand how to watch TV.

I don't mind this so much.

On the one hand, the episode is drawing parallels between Dancers and Navarro. They're isolated and cut off from the useful communication channels they should have access to -- Danvers is unable to utilise the police forensics systems because of widespread corruption and politicking and Navarro is dislocated from her community. They're both forced to rely on the men in her life in order to access those networks (Freshman's got cousins and online friends, Navarro's boots buddy has his "telegraph").

On the other, Danver's requests on her ex-step-son are explicitly unreasonable, and he keeps bending over backwards to make them work because they have awkward codependent, possibly Odeipal boundary issues. It's not actually impossible for him to unlock the phone, as we talk about here, but he overstates his case because he's trying and failing to carve out time for the people in his life he's meant to be committed to, like his wife and even his cousin (the latter of whom Danvers almost immediately hard sells on breaking the law). We've already seen how this costs Freshie over the course of the season, and this is just a further escalation of that. Maybe he should learn how to run faster, if just for his psychological welfare.

Compare, again, with Navarro, who's locked up tight and has to be worn down before she opens up even a crack.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 30, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We believe Navarro and Danvers hosed right

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
HBO should have saved that theme song for The Young Pope season 3

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think Danvers and John Hawkes were ever married to one another. The oedipal thing with the young detective is just because he is very devoted to his mentor and everyone thinks they’re loving. Is there textual evidence I’m forgetting?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Feels like Frozen Cavewoman serial killer through the anti freeze powers of ennis water. Very X-Files. Or maybe Clark is scooby dooing everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't see anything oedipal in their relationship necessarily. I think he's just eager to please her because she's his boss and he really wants to be a cop, and she's just a lovely abusive boss who enjoys deliberately making him do poo poo at the most inconvenient times to force him to mess up his relationship with his wife to prove his loyalty to her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t think Danvers and John Hawkes were ever married to one another. The oedipal thing with the young detective is just because he is very devoted to his mentor and everyone thinks they’re loving. Is there textual evidence I’m forgetting?

IMO yeah, it's mostly people reading into things, but when you're giving your hubby a handjob and he runs to pick up the phone instead you can forgive people for getting the wrong idea.

The show's had enough people suggest that something going on (the wife, Navarro, the dad) that the valence is definitely there.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Pete’s wife being so upset that he’s not around was funny to me. It’s not like Ennis is a bustling metropolis brimming with unsolved murders that keep him late at work all the time. He’s probably just been working long hours for the last three days because they have a crazy case on their hands. It’s not like he’s Jimmy McNulty.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

This will be the rift that makes him marry the Night Queen and restore peace between the ice zombies and the humans and end the long night.

It will be a dramatic sacrifice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Just because everyone's in a rush to go with the idea that this time the supernatural stuff is real, my guess is going to be that the poison water is making everyone's brains go bad or something, the mine knows it's killing people and is just hiding it and that research station is actually there doing environmental poo poo or something and they killed whats her face because she found out they were hiding the fact that the mine was basically just killing an entire town of people.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO yeah, it's mostly people reading into things, but when you're giving your hubby a handjob and he runs to pick up the phone instead you can forgive people for getting the wrong idea.

Reading into things? It's explicit when Hawkes Hank calls her Mrs. Robinson (though he's just being a dick; I don't think he's reading into anything real between those characters). But I don't know why people think Danvers and Hawkes Hank were in a relationship or married. She has an adopted kid from another relationship already.

How long has Danvers been in Ennis?

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 30, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Whale Vomit posted:

Reading into things? It's explicit when Hawkes Hank calls her Mrs. Robinson (though he's just being a dick; I don't think he's reading into anything real between those characters).

People *in the show* reading into things.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

HootTheOwl posted:

We believe Navarro and Danvers hosed right

We know Navarro has slept with women in the past.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whale Vomit posted:

How long has Danvers been in Ennis?

Six years, as she arrived near the end of the Annie K investigation.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Would really like to see what Danvers tinder profile looked like.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a plot hole because we're told it's an obstacle but never told how it's overcome. If it was that easy why did he say it wasn't, and if it wasn't then how did he do it so fast

It's not an obstacle. The writers use the phone encryption/lock screen so that they don't have to deal with the information from the phone immediately when the phone is introduced, but when they actually want to and when it would be good for the story. It's one of the most basic storytelling techniques in the world. The goddamn Greeks did it already when Zeus was out of office for the day and Hercules had to come back the next day to speak to him or whatever

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Deadite posted:

Young Pope

This might a tually be my favourite television show, period.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Despera posted:

Would really like to see what Danvers tinder profile looked like.

'60 yo. 175 cm. Let's skip the bullshit about being into art or wanting to travel. I work 90 hours a week and my joints hurt going to the bathroom. I'm not going anywhere.

I'm a single parent but that's not your business and never will be. And I'm getting too old for waiting until the third date, but that doesn't mean we're not having dinner first. I deal with monstrous men every day at my job so you better be a loving gentleman. Letting you know that for your own sake not mine.'

e: Wait nvm she's actually smart so it'll just be 'Hey what's fun in Fairbanks? Tell me or show me'

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 30, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Like come on

Yeah...watched S1 when it first came out. Binged it a few days ago. There is definitely a difference lol.

I will say Ennis County Memorial Hospital seems like a world class large hospital and bustling for the size of the community. Yet they need a vet to look at some corpses.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The vet thing was to set up a guy who would have a reason to be there to look at the corpses saying that they looked scared like animals he deals with. That's why they didn't fly in the CSI guy and so an MD from the hospital also wouldn't have worked.

e: Actually ot would have worked really, really well. Make the doctor aboriginal Alaskan. And after his cursory exam they ask if he/she had seen anything like it. They go that no not in humans but as a child hunting with grandfather...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Like come on

Yeah lol the writing is generally quite bad, which is fine most of the time, but when it tries to be profound it falls very very flat.

Believer vs atheist is so boring and worn out and I hope they throw something novel in there but it's probably way too late for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Have they talked at all about the victims’ families? I can’t remember if it’s explained but it feels really weird that they have five dead guys and no family members have come to see them or are calling constantly for answers.

That and a seemingly total lack of press coverage. You’d think something like this would get out fast and CNN would be there the CNN ext day.

This show seems to have a real casual attitude towards the central mystery