Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

Soooo... what are some good ZFS / Backblaze / Plex capable vendors if QNAP isn't reliable and iX Systems boxes are overpriced? QNAP has SEO'd everything to death.

What is it you're actually trying to do here? "Can run ZFS" seems like a very large list. Almost anything can backup to Backblaze. Almost anything can run Plex. I use a Synology NAS with Plex in a Docker container on it. It can backup to Backblaze.

How many drives do you need? Does it have to be of a particular physical size? Do you need a specific amount of memory? Do you need ECC? What is your budget? How much tinkering/janitoring do you want to do? Why do you need ZFS as opposed to anything else? Why is QNAP's SEO a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Twerk from Home posted:

the only options left are consumer or small businesses targeting NASes

What are the options in these spaces, out of curiosity? I'm still running an N54L that's been a trooper, but it's not going to last forever, and every once in a while, it's started to spontaneously power off.

But, I like ZFS (and I've appreciated running XigmaNAS, formerly NAS4Free, as my NAS OS), so I'd prefer whatever I move to be able to still run that and be able to just move my drives over. Problem is, I haven't seen too many cases that are a similar form factor as the old Microservers, or if I do, they're capped at, like, four drives, whereas I reflashed the BIOS to be able to use a fifth drive at full speed in the optical drive bay.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

What is it you're actually trying to do here? "Can run ZFS" seems like a very large list. Almost anything can backup to Backblaze. Almost anything can run Plex. I use a Synology NAS with Plex in a Docker container on it. It can backup to Backblaze.

How many drives do you need? Does it have to be of a particular physical size? Do you need a specific amount of memory? Do you need ECC? What is your budget? How much tinkering/janitoring do you want to do? Why do you need ZFS as opposed to anything else? Why is QNAP's SEO a problem?
re: SEO they dominate the results pages and send me back here feeling like I haven’t done my homework.

Long story short we might be deploying TrueNAS at work and I wouldn’t mind getting ahead of it / up to speed on ZFS on my own time. My budget caps out at around $3000 CAD, and I’d like to fit it next to a couch or under my printer table (as in my condo basically forces me to do that if I want a UPS, and it will still be on the same circuit as my gaming PC). Tinkering budget is unlimited; it’s fun.

I feel like 5 drives would be enough for the foreseeable future, but I’d also bring a tonne of optical backups back onto hot media for the sake of it, and be less stingy than my current 4TB NVMe mandates.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

re: SEO they dominate the results pages and send me back here feeling like I haven’t done my homework.

Long story short we might be deploying TrueNAS at work and I wouldn’t mind getting ahead of it / up to speed on ZFS on my own time. My budget caps out at around $3000 CAD, and I’d like to fit it next to a couch or under my printer table (as in my condo basically forces me to do that if I want a UPS, and it will still be on the same circuit as my gaming PC). Tinkering budget is unlimited; it’s fun.

I feel like 5 drives would be enough for the foreseeable future, but I’d also bring a tonne of optical backups back onto hot media for the sake of it, and be less stingy than my current 4TB NVMe mandates.

If you want to learn TrueNAS, build a TrueNAS box. Also be sure if you're wanting to learn Scale or Core. You can obsess over getting ECC RAM, or you could just throw together something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($116.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H610M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($98.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Exos X18 18 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Exos X18 18 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1590.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-29 23:21 EST-0500

If you want more than the 4 hard disks you'd need to add an HBA. I'd probably cheap out even more and buy these $230 20TB hard disks instead of those $260 18TB disks: https://www.amazon.com/MDD-MDD20TSATA25672E-256MB-Internal-Enterprise/dp/B0BYTYCP14/.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any reason to avoid WD Red? Not opposed to other brands (ASRock sketches me out more than anything).

And thanks for the recommendation; I’m going to be fighting my old habits not to get a Meshify and work with that Node instead since I never build SFF.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 30, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Previous answer covers "build your own."

QNAP and Synology have NAS selectors that help guide you -
https://www.qnap.com/en/selector/nas-selector
https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/nas_selector

For QNAP, it seems to me like the TS-664 would meet your needs. For Synology, I'd look at the DS1522+.

For WD Reds, no, no reason to avoid them at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

Any reason to avoid WD Red? Not opposed to other brands (AsRock sketches me out more than anything).

And thanks for the recommendation; I’m going to be fighting my old habits not to get a Meshify and work with that Node instead since I never build SFF.

That Node 304 is not a particularly nice case, but it's one I've built in twice (more than 8 years ago for the newest one). 6 hard disk bays, small but with room for an ATX PSU. I swear it used to be cheaper, though. I remember it being like $80.

If you aren't as much of a tightwad as I am, look at the Jonsbo N3, with 8 hot-swap bays: https://www.newegg.com/black-jonsbo-n3-mini-itx/p/2AM-006A-000E1

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks everyone; nothing I host on this will go in/out aside from Backblaze so maybe I can tolerate QNAP’s poo poo, but building my own will be a fun prospect too.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Mini PCs with a buttload of network I/O + external SAS port? Sign me up. Just need to get an N100 model.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805844479837.html

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Next build I think I'll 3D print brackets and build in a Meshify compact or something similar.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Shumagorath posted:

Not opposed to other brands (ASRock sketches me out more than anything).
That's funny, I specifically sought out ASRock for my NAS because they actually have ECC support on most of their AM4 boards. You don't really need ECC to maintain the integrity of the data on disk, that's ZFS's job, but it makes the system more resilient to minor memory issues and makes major ones easier to detect so I think it's worth thinking about if you're doing an all-new build with a generous budget. Supermicro is a good Intel alternative if you're willing to look for used boards, or pay the enterprise price for new ones. ASUS has a few models with ECC support here and there. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many Intel boards with ECC also have support for the IGP so that may be a challenge for Plex.

e: Supermicro also often has IPMI, although that may not matter if you plan to store the NAS under your desk.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 30, 2024

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Doesn't DDR5 have some error checking capabilities as a part of the spec?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

doomisland posted:

Doesn't DDR5 have some error checking capabilities as a part of the spec?

It's limited to only errors within the ram module itself and it also doesn't report those errors to the system. The only way you can tell it is having errors is if you routinely run memory benchmarks and notice the scores fluctuating. And that only serves to tell you when it is correcting a gross amount of errors and not just one or two every so often.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I've been looking to build/buy a NAS for my apartment and have been weighing my options between both as my storage hard drive on my workstation eeks closer to 100% capacity.

AMD recently (or will soon) release some new APUs, and one perk they have is hardware support of AV1 encoding, so if I ever want to double it as a Plex server it might prove useful.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new APUs and using them for a NAS?

If you can do a cheap GPU, I obtained an Intel ARC A380 for $100 during the black friday sales for my Unraid build and it pretty much smokes everything else on transcoding/encoding (I had a spare 6700xt in it briefly) and even does AV1. AMD seems to be the worst out of the bunch for encoding and you are better off with the Intel or Nvidia stuff.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I currently have ~20 TB of files I want to backup. I will only ever need to access them again in case of disaster. Is Backblaze still the cheapest option out there for this? It looks like it would cost me $720/yr (first 10TB are free and then $6/TB/month for the next 10TB). If I ever fill my drives close to 80% capacity (29TB), Backblaze will start to cost $1,400/yr and that seems excessive, even if it is cheaper than S3, Azure, and Google Cloud.

e: It would very quickly be cheaper for me to just build a whole new server and stash it at my partner's mom's house and use that as my remote backup solution.

e2: iDrive seems to offer better value but seem people have issues with the service, it seems?

Kibner fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 31, 2024

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Kibner posted:

first 10TB are free and then $6/TB/month for the next 10TB)

Backblaze is still one of the cheapest, but their free cap is 10GB, not 10TB.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kibner posted:

e: It would very quickly be cheaper for me to just build a whole new server and stash it at my partner's mom's house and use that as my remote backup solution.

It's really hard to compete with price against that option, because it really doesn't need to be server class for backup use. An old office PC and couple big harddrives is all you need.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If it's just in the event of a disaster you can put it in an S3 bucket that transitions the storage tier of files to glacier deep after 1 day. That comes down to ~$1/TB/month if I'm remembering pricing right.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kibner posted:

I currently have ~20 TB of files I want to backup. I will only ever need to access them again in case of disaster. Is Backblaze still the cheapest option out there for this? It looks like it would cost me $720/yr (first 10TB are free and then $6/TB/month for the next 10TB). If I ever fill my drives close to 80% capacity (29TB), Backblaze will start to cost $1,400/yr and that seems excessive, even if it is cheaper than S3, Azure, and Google Cloud.

e2: iDrive seems to offer better value but seem people have issues with the service, it seems?
Consider how much of that 29TB can go in a binder full of 50-100TB M-Disc Blurays (store it upright!)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Kibner posted:

Yeah, if you just want something reliable with enough performance to run remote backups then the cost can be very low. Here's one way you could go:
Supermicro X10SLL-F - micro-ATX, LGA1150, 6x SATA - $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285414185179
Xeon E3-1225v3 - LGA1150, quad-core, ECC support - $9: https://www.ebay.com/p/22029759027
DDR3 UDIMMs - 2x8GB, 1600MT/s, ECC - $24: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144059785873

$63 so far. Add an Intel stock cooler or whatever else you have on hand, a suitable case and power supply, and your drives and you should be good.

Of course, if you truly only need to make one backup and you won't even need to update it or add to it, it's almost tempting to eschew the server entirely and just keep an offline HDD offsite. I guess you can't be really certain that it will spin up again or have intact data if you need it after several years sitting there though, and by the time you add a second 20+TB drive to get that certainty you might as well build a server with a 3x12TB RAIDZ1 from a cost perspective. It feels like a great purpose for a tape drive, if only you could borrow one instead of spending a few thousand dollars for it.

e: Fixed the link for the RAM, I messed up when copying my old post.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Even WD MyCloud units used to be able to mirror to one another over the internet, but lol if I’d let one be WAN-facing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Just helped build a OpenMediaVault-based system, and running into a somewhat obnoxious permissions issue.

The system isn't intended to be secure, so everything is set up for Guests Only, but running some apps in Docker containers is also desirable. One of those applications creates files, and we want to be able to modify those files, delete them, or add to the folder it creates. That app creates everything as belonging to a specific user, and thus is read-only to everyone else. I know where to edit the user data, but I can't figure out how to make it belong to "guests" the way every other folder on the array is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

Even WD MyCloud units used to be able to mirror to one another over the internet, but lol if I’d let one be WAN-facing.

If the only use case is backup, there's no need for it to actually be WAN-facing. Run tailscale on both devices.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gnoman posted:

Just helped build a OpenMediaVault-based system, and running into a somewhat obnoxious permissions issue.

The system isn't intended to be secure, so everything is set up for Guests Only, but running some apps in Docker containers is also desirable. One of those applications creates files, and we want to be able to modify those files, delete them, or add to the folder it creates. That app creates everything as belonging to a specific user, and thus is read-only to everyone else. I know where to edit the user data, but I can't figure out how to make it belong to "guests" the way every other folder on the array is.

Most docker containers let you set the uid it runs at via an environmental variable. Usually it’s UID or something like that. Check to see if this one does. Or share what container it is.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The configuration section reads

environment:
- PUID=1000
- PGID=1000
- TZ=Etc/UTC
- WEBUI_PORT=8080

I just can't figure out what to change it to (I'm guessing I need to create a new user and/or group) to make it read/write to everyone.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gnoman posted:

The configuration section reads

environment:
- PUID=1000
- PGID=1000
- TZ=Etc/UTC
- WEBUI_PORT=8080

I just can't figure out what to change it to (I'm guessing I need to create a new user and/or group) to make it read/write to everyone.

you need to find out that information for your server.
the information can be found by going into terminal and using :
code:
id [i]docker user[/i]
uid=1027([i]docker user[/i]) gid=100(users)groups=100(users),65537(dockergroup)
Then change the above to similar :
code:
environment:
      - PUID=1027
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=US/Alaska
      - WEBUI_PORT=8080
This guide shows how to do it for docker on synology, but its nothing too specific other than the gui elements.
https://drfrankenstein.co.uk/step-2-setting-up-a-restricted-docker-user-and-obtaining-ids/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, if you just want something reliable with enough performance to run remote backups then the cost can be very low. Here's one way you could go:
Supermicro X10SLL-F - micro-ATX, LGA1150, 6x SATA - $30: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285414185179
Xeon E3-1225v3 - LGA1150, quad-core, ECC support - $9: https://www.ebay.com/p/22029759027
DDR3 UDIMMs - 2x8GB, 1333MT/s, ECC - $24: https://www.ebay.com/itm/375043324387

$63 so far. Add an Intel stock cooler or whatever else you have on hand, a suitable case and power supply, and your drives and you should be good.

Of course, if you truly only need to make one backup and you won't even need to update it or add to it, it's almost tempting to eschew the server entirely and just keep an offline HDD offsite. I guess you can't be really certain that it will spin up again or have intact data if you need it after several years sitting there though, and by the time you add a second 20+TB drive to get that certainty you might as well build a server with a 3x12TB RAIDZ1 from a cost perspective. It feels like a great purpose for a tape drive, if only you could borrow one instead of spending a few thousand dollars for it.

Hah, a tape drive could be fun, but, yeah, not really cost effective for me. I will probably end up building a cheap second server at my partner's mom's house and just have it pull backups from my main server every so often. Will end up paying for itself after 3 years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Magnetic shelf life is 5-20 years but I emphasize the 5. I have had plenty of drives spin and seek but not be able to serve a file system.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

deong posted:

you need to find out that information for your server.
the information can be found by going into terminal and using :
code:
id [i]docker user[/i]
uid=1027([i]docker user[/i]) gid=100(users)groups=100(users),65537(dockergroup)
Then change the above to similar :
code:
environment:
      - PUID=1027
      - PGID=100
      - TZ=US/Alaska
      - WEBUI_PORT=8080
This guide shows how to do it for docker on synology, but its nothing too specific other than the gui elements.
https://drfrankenstein.co.uk/step-2-setting-up-a-restricted-docker-user-and-obtaining-ids/

That guide appears to be for setting up a restricted user group, which is the complete opposite of what I am asking for. I'm trying to create a user that any random guest will detect as and will never have any restrictions whatsoever.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Gnoman posted:

That guide appears to be for setting up a restricted user group, which is the complete opposite of what I am asking for. I'm trying to create a user that any random guest will detect as and will never have any restrictions whatsoever.

Its explaining how to get the environment values.
I'd guess you should create a group and use that group for access. Then put whatever user into that group so they also give access. It does not look like you changed any of those values.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Very good. You have successfully pointed me to a tutorial explaining all the poo poo I explicitly said I already knew and had absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

What do I name a user so that people connected as "guest" will have read/write access to any files that user owns.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I believe you are looking for UMASK which defines the permissions set on a new file or folder created by an application. How to do this may depend on the image and or application you are using.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
chmod 777

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I checked my config for sonaar and radaar running in docker. I have puid and guid set to the account I'm writing with and then each application has its own UMASK setting within the application to define the permissions for the files and folders it creates. So it depends on the application from what I understand

My goal was similar, guests can read only, not write.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 1, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gnoman posted:

Very good. You have successfully pointed me to a tutorial explaining all the poo poo I explicitly said I already knew and had absolutely nothing to do with what I asked.

What do I name a user so that people connected as "guest" will have read/write access to any files that user owns.

Hey, try not being a dick to people who are attempting to help you.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I was able to solve it as soon as someone elsewhere told npme that the user name I was looking for was "nobody". Flatly refusing to answer the question that was asked is not helping.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No one flatly refused anything and you were being an rear end in a top hat. Glad someone fixed your problem for you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
correction: *still being an rear end in a top hat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gnoman posted:

I was able to solve it as soon as someone elsewhere told npme that the user name I was looking for was "nobody". Flatly refusing to answer the question that was asked is not helping.

Sounds like you going elsewhere is best for all involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Love the strong boomer energy of bursting into a thread demanding help, being an rear end in a top hat to people trying to help them, and then continuing to be an rear end in a top hat after receiving the help they need.

Next they're going to have some guest on their network delete their files and rage post about how it's our fault.