Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

other people posted:

I've never noticed anything about pinned apps having a PIN. Let me see if I can find that..

Ah, this: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6118421?hl=en

That is coool but it is the same PIN that unlocks the screen, right? So if I put a PIN on the device he would either have to have the PIN, so be able to unpin tidal, or have to ask us every time he wants to use the phone. ?

You can make tracks and albums offline but you can't get any sort of unencrypted file that you can move somewhere else. Maybe it is like widevine and easy enough to get past but that makes for a pretty clunky experience. Besides, I like that he can search and find new things on Tidal.

Right on! Google also has Family Link where you can administer a device, add screen time settings, restrict applications/browser etc which works pretty well in my experience but likely won't give you exactly what you're looking for.

I think the root solution of what you want is essentially a custom Android OS installation that only has Tidal and whatever system packages are needed to run it by default. Downside is this solution is very deep into the weeds, but you'll be able to achieve exactly what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Sounds like you want the aforementioned kids mode or iPhone screen time. Having used both, Samsung kids mode is obviously more customizable over apples thing

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082342/

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That samsung kids thing sounds like it might do the trick.

I personally do not enjoy samsong's OS so I really do not know very much about them.

There is a nice used electronics store in the area that currently has 96 used sasmung fones to choose from

https://es.webuy.com/search?categoryIds=984&categoryName=Moviles+-+Android&stores=Valencia+Fernando,Valencia+Ruzafa&Fabricante=Samsung

Anything for like €100 should be okay? Something with a headphone jack would be nice, and maybe a fun color...

We have an old samsung, an a3 I think, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have that kids feature and it already has a cracked screen.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
They have a Samsung Galaxy A04 in like a copperpink color for €105. That model is just 18 months old? That could be good...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Other dumb thing about DnD in OneUI other than the lack of calendar scheduling is the inability to modify the DnD behavior defaults based on the schedule.

When I DnD at night, I want my parents to be able to ring through in the case of emergency, but when I DnD while at my martial arts class, I don’t want anything to come through at all.

With Pixels, I can setup my nighttime schedule, then have one schedule based on my martial arts class calendar and I can silence everything (including media) during class time but be a little more lax at bedtime.

In PRACTICE it doesn’t matter as much since I usually leave my phone in vibrate during the day anyways and DnD is just a fallback in case I haven’t during class, but it’s still dumb that I can’t change that behavior.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Other dumb thing about DnD in OneUI other than the lack of calendar scheduling is the inability to modify the DnD behavior defaults based on the schedule.

When I DnD at night, I want my parents to be able to ring through in the case of emergency, but when I DnD while at my martial arts class, I don’t want anything to come through at all.

With Pixels, I can setup my nighttime schedule, then have one schedule based on my martial arts class calendar and I can silence everything (including media) during class time but be a little more lax at bedtime.

In PRACTICE it doesn’t matter as much since I usually leave my phone in vibrate during the day anyways and DnD is just a fallback in case I haven’t during class, but it’s still dumb that I can’t change that behavior.

Not exactly the same, but you can use Routines to silence everything when you're at your class as well as set a nighttime schedule.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been BigPhone for so many years, I decided to see what it was like to have a smaller device again. My last 'actually small' phone was probably my 2nd generation Motorola Moto X from 2014, ever since then they've all been phablets, max size, biggest-available devices. So, for the hell of it I picked up an Amazon refurb Pixel 5 and I can see why so many people loved this phone. It feels truly alien to hold and use something this small again. And it has a fingerprint scanner on the back., I haven't used one of those in at least 5 years. It's wild.

This isn't going to replace my Pixel 8Pro, of course, but it is very neat to have a modern pixel experience in such a small phone. I'm actually kind of bummed it's at the end of its software lifecycle. I am pretty happy with the condition of the Amazon refurb. There is some wear around the USB port, and I can tell it's spent most of its life in a case as there is a hint of wear around the camera module, but the screen is flawless and there are no huge gashes in it. It's the Sage color and still looks and feels really nice for the most part. Even though the phone is almost 4 years old now, it has exceeded my expectations so far and I could probably use it as a daily driver, but I need to test it further to see how worn the battery is.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 30, 2024

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pixel 8 is slightly taller but otherwise very similar to pixel 5

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've been BigPhone for so many years, I decided to see what it was like to have a smaller device again. My last 'actually small' phone was probably my 2nd generation Motorola Moto X from 2014, ever since then they've all been phablets, max size, biggest-available devices. So, for the hell of it I picked up an Amazon refurb Pixel 5 and I can see why so many people loved this phone. It feels truly alien to hold and use something this small again. And it has a fingerprint scanner on the back., I haven't used one of those in at least 5 years. It's wild.

This isn't going to replace my Pixel 8Pro, of course, but it is very neat to have a modern pixel experience in such a small phone. I'm actually kind of bummed it's at the end of its software lifecycle. I am pretty happy with the condition of the Amazon refurb. There is some wear around the USB port, and I can tell it's spent most of its life in a case as there is a hint of wear around the camera module, but the screen is flawless and there are no huge gashes in it. It's the Sage color and still looks and feels really nice for the most part. Even though the phone is almost 4 years old now, it has exceeded my expectations so far and I could probably use it as a daily driver, but I need to test it further to see how worn the battery is.

I would murder my firstborn for that Sage cardboard texture finish again, it was a thing of beauty.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

sourdough posted:

Pixel 8 is slightly taller but otherwise very similar to pixel 5

Yeah, I had to hit up phonearena to see just how closely they compared, and it is very close. If Google would put the Pro phones cameras, and whatever other features they gatekeep behind the Pro, into the smaller phone; I could see myself being a small phone convert.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I would murder my firstborn for that Sage cardboard texture finish again, it was a thing of beauty.

It is an incredibly durable and solid feeling device. I think I might actually like it better than the glass sandwiches of the later devices.

Real shame the phone is EOL for security and OS updates. It feels very snappy and fluid and it feels like a steal for under 200 dollars.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 30, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If Google would put the Pro phones cameras, and whatever other features they gatekeep behind the Pro, into the smaller phone; I could see myself being a small phone convert.

Go take a look at an 8 Pro teardown. There's simply no room to put the exact same camera stack in a smaller chassis. The three sensors take the entire width of the phone.

They MIGHT be able to do a triple camera system with a 3x non-periscope zoom, but I doubt they would be able to do both that and put the 8 Pro's larger ultrawide in as well. I honestly think having the better ultrawide would be the way to go rather than trying to do a full triple camera setup and compromising more.

I suspect what they will end up doing is the same thing they did for the Fold. Tout the cameras of having the same capability, but using smaller sensors to make the packaging work which again I think would be a downgrade to lose the large main sensor.

I guess they going to to all smaller sensors on both phones and go to stacked CMOS to try to make up the difference, but again I don't know if the tradeoff would be worth it.

They absolutely should give it the same amount of RAM and other software features though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Go take a look at an 8 Pro teardown. There's simply no room to put the exact same camera stack in a smaller chassis. The three sensors take the entire width of the phone.

They MIGHT be able to do a triple camera system with a 3x non-periscope zoom, but I doubt they would be able to do both that and put the 8 Pro's larger ultrawide in as well. I honestly think having the better ultrawide would be the way to go rather than trying to do a full triple camera setup and compromising more.

I suspect what they will end up doing is the same thing they did for the Fold. Tout the cameras of having the same capability, but using smaller sensors to make the packaging work which again I think would be a downgrade to lose the large main sensor.

I guess they going to to all smaller sensors on both phones and go to stacked CMOS to try to make up the difference, but again I don't know if the tradeoff would be worth it.

They absolutely should give it the same amount of RAM and other software features though.

No but I demand that they put the same features into a smaller phone for less money! I am not being unreasonable. This is gatekeeping!

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
To their point: front-facing autofocus, manual controls, and whatever the two video features (night sight and video boost) that are uploading stuff for cloud processing are arbitrarily locked to the Pro. Perhaps they fine-tuned the cloud processing for the sensors in the Pro only but it at least feels arbitrarily locked.

My SO received their S24+ today and, even after downloading and setting Google apps (phone, messages, etc.) as default apps, the Samsung launcher will still chastise you to set their apps as default a few times before the option "don't ask again" appears. I also noticed that if you go into Google's phone settings, it will sometimes open the Samsung Phone app's settings anyway. Otherwise, it is a great phone so far.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I get that a periscope zoom might not be feasible in the smaller Pixel, but even Apple offers a telephoto in their smaller 15 Pro model. That's a phone that is both cheaper than its larger variant, and even smaller than a Pixel 8. I'm no iPhone expert, but don't they share the same software suite as well? As the previous poster mentioned, some stuff just seems arbitrarily locked out on the smaller phone. That was all I was getting at.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I get that a periscope zoom might not be feasible in the smaller Pixel, but even Apple offers a telephoto in their smaller 15 Pro model. That's a phone that is both cheaper than its larger variant, and even smaller than a Pixel 8. I'm no iPhone expert, but don't they share the same software suite as well? As the previous poster mentioned, some stuff just seems arbitrarily locked out on the smaller phone. That was all I was getting at.

All of Apple's sensors are smaller than what the Pixel offers, they are arranged completely differently, and the iPhone has a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller battery freeing up internal space that then allows the triangle camera arrangement room.

I already said that they should allow the same software features, but then I suspect that most of the new stuff will move behind a paid Google One subscription. There's hints of that happening with Samsung saying their AI stuff is only going to be free until the end of 2025. I think the big issue with some of the LLMs is the lower ram amount in the normal Pixel and they should have parity across both phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There we go.

Scratches at a level 7, deeper grooves at a level 8.

https://youtu.be/nyxcO2vdcCg?si=4-mUKJA6FI0m2_hG

I think literally the only thing I want from the Pixel 9 at this point is Gorilla Glass Armor. The scratch resistance improvement is real and the anti-reflective treatment makes a big difference.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
What level are car keys?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Car keys haven’t been a threat to phone screens since screens moved to glass from plastic.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 arriving tomorrow! :dance:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dumb Android question: my mom is going to fly out to Europe and stick a random SIM into her Pixel phone. Will there be any security stuff (asking for additional passwords, etc) she (and by extension, I) will have to deal with?

She didn't have a smartphone last time she flew out there. I haven't gone out there in 20 years, so I also didn't have a smartphone at the time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uthor posted:

Dumb Android question: my mom is going to fly out to Europe and stick a random SIM into her Pixel phone. Will there be any security stuff (asking for additional passwords, etc) she (and by extension, I) will have to deal with?

She didn't have a smartphone last time she flew out there. I haven't gone out there in 20 years, so I also didn't have a smartphone at the time.

No. But instead of a physical SIM she should be using an eSIM that you can install on her phone before she leaves. I use the Airalo app

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

No. But instead of a physical SIM she should be using an eSIM that you can install on her phone before she leaves. I use the Airalo app

I will have to learn about eSIMs, I guess. Dang, that's a low price (looking at Airalo)!

I am going to go for a week and was just gonna eat the $10/day Verizon is charging, but, drat...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Airalo is great - I've taught 2 boomers in their mid-70s to use it by themselves, the app is very straightforward. You just gotta make sure that the phone is eSIM-compatible but most phones including Pixels have been for years. Huge money saver for me as I'm from Europe but spend at least a month Stateside every year

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not smartphone related, but she uses Rebtel and calls her sisters for hours and hours for $12/month. When we were growing up, it'd cost dollars per minute. poo poo, we'd pay extra to call California from Illinois when I was a kid.

My dad's sister would have to go to the only phone in the neighborhood (at the post office) to talk with my dad.

Technology!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Circle to search has been rolled out to my Pixel 8 Pro.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

that was easy as hell

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I accidentally triggered it this morning. Seems neat.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

All the feature drop stuff is in app updates this time round

So if anyone's not got it check for any app updates

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it's the Google App update.

Keep in mind too that this is a bonus feature drop, normally they are only once a quarter and the last one was December.

It pretty much works exactly the same way and same speed as the S24U.

Speaking of which, battery life is no joke on this phone. Looks like I could routinely get 9-10 hours of SoT over the course of a full day. It is quite a bit better than the P8P when stressed, but at the same time I've never been able to exhaust the P8P in a day so this is all bonus.

I am generally liking the S24U a lot more than prior ultra phones, but in think it's mostly due to the flat screen and the fact that the fingerprint sensor hasn't made me want to hurl the phone across the room yet for some reason. I don't know if they enhanced the software or the different glass composition is helping here, but for the first time since the S10, ultrasonic sensor is working almost as well as the P8P's optical.

It still occasionally locks me out of biometrics after 5 failed attempts. I'll unlock the phone with pin and then lock and try again and it goes the first time, it's a mystery. I think the touch target is just too small for my thumb as the main issue.

The S24U still makes the P8P feel absolutely compact by comparison. The only difference in performance I've noticed is in the Reddit app which mostly sucks always (and has the same stutters on the OnePlus Open with the SD8 Gen2.) So I don't really know what magic Samsung is doing (it's probably more Reddit is only testing with Samsung devices.)

Camera is tuned a bit more natural than the S23U which I enjoy a lot, they backed off on the sharpening quite a bit. I still prefer Pixel photos and it kinda sucks the only hardware camera enhancement they made was the sensor for the 5x lens. Their ultrawide is in dire need of an upgrade.

Also, Samsung still can't handle motion effectively. So, the phone is good for static shots, but good luck trying to catch kids or pets in motion.

We'll see how long until I get bored or get sick of the size again. I might switch to just a standard Pixel 8 next for maximum size difference.

It still kinda blows my mind that the P8, as cheap as it is, will shoot better pictures most of the time than this $1300 behemoth.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 8 Pro here, all apps updated, no software updates available, no circle to search yet.

Must be a staggered release!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

smoobles posted:

Pixel 8 Pro here, all apps updated, no software updates available, no circle to search yet.

Must be a staggered release!

It just seemed to start working on mine despite having updated all apps yesterday. Was trying all morning to no avail, but now it is suddenly there.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hm... And you use it on any app by holding the home button? That's what I read online but it's not working.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

smoobles posted:

Hm... And you use it on any app by holding the home button? That's what I read online but it's not working.

Haven't tried it in all my apps, but it works in the Awful app at least. Makes the screen all grainy and colorful.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting that the generative AI wallpaper on the S24U doesn't have as many prompt options as the P8 despite being the same thing. It doesn't have "X-Ray", "Texture", or "Volcanic."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

OnePlus 12 arriving tomorrow! :dance:

I was at an office event until midnight lol. Morning thoughts, mostly OP9P vs. OP12:

• feels iterative, but "I can tell" it's much nicer in a lot of ways. I know my old phone was busted, but I'd normally have been at ~70% battery by now after an early wake up. Not that it means much, but 92% currently using it constantly.
  • it's going to take a while to get used to controls being moved around, specifically volume switching to the right side, and the fingerprint sensor moving up an inch. Frankly the volume change is welcome, I have so many accidental screenshots from the old placement.
  • lol haven't had an IR blaster since an S5... might be fun, but my TV & receiver apps for controlling them are functional.
  • glad the camera notch is no longer blocking 'view draw pile' in Slay the Spire
  • big downside of OnePlus is not having the same case options. Stuff currently on Amazon looks pretty lovely. The OP default one is fine. There are a couple I like from US stores (I think I want the rugged Spiggen one before I travel), but shipping to Canada is absurd. It seems they make it to Best Buy or amazon.ca eventually, so I will be patient.
  • the face unlock is startingly fast ... it doesn't even register to me the phone is unlocked half the time. Maybe I should have updated my image on my old phone at some point.
  • the sponsored ads when looking for specific poo poo in Google Play are kinda wild. Like major brands like Microsoft putting their ...unrelated!... apps above. Do I really give a poo poo about Microsoft Defender when I want Okta Verify?? But it's constant.

The battery thing was pretty poo poo. On Tuesday I had to charge my phone twice during the day and was still almost dead by the time I got home. I probably should have factory-reset that phone to see if it helped, but didn't want to bother knowing I had a new one coming soon enough,

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

After dropping and breaking my pixel 4a 5g, and a new screen being as much as a new-to-me phone off swappa, i replaced it with a pixel 6a. It's mostly been okay, but i haaaaate the in-screen fingerprint reader, it's so much more finicky than the back reader in the 4a. Finger too dry? Too wet? Not at the exact perfect angle? Won't recognize. And of course the flashbang effect if you're trying to unlock it in the dark at night.

And weirdness that I'm unsure of whether it's my phone or my carrier or what, but every now and then, my data connection just dies. I go from 5g to the "no data" exclamation point even with full bars. No rhyme or reason, and it always seems to be right as I'm going to my dinner break at work and wanna go watch some YouTube or order something for pickup. Rebooting doesn't fix it, which is why i suspect it's on T-Mobile's side.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

taiyoko posted:

After dropping and breaking my pixel 4a 5g, and a new screen being as much as a new-to-me phone off swappa, i replaced it with a pixel 6a. It's mostly been okay, but i haaaaate the in-screen fingerprint reader, it's so much more finicky than the back reader in the 4a. Finger too dry? Too wet? Not at the exact perfect angle? Won't recognize. And of course the flashbang effect if you're trying to unlock it in the dark at night.

And weirdness that I'm unsure of whether it's my phone or my carrier or what, but every now and then, my data connection just dies. I go from 5g to the "no data" exclamation point even with full bars. No rhyme or reason, and it always seems to be right as I'm going to my dinner break at work and wanna go watch some YouTube or order something for pickup. Rebooting doesn't fix it, which is why i suspect it's on T-Mobile's side.

Have you registered your thumbs twice? My Pixel 6 rarely misses a fingerprint read, and if it does it's usually because my hand is slightly damp or sweaty or whatever. Also make sure you've run any and all updates available - the accuracy of my Pixel 6 sensor definitely improved over time, although it wasn't bad to begin with.

This is with the usual caveat - for various reasons, some individuals get better results with different types of fingerprint readers. The optical in my Pixel 6 outperforms the rear fingerprint reader on my backup Motorola phone for me, but for others that might be reversed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the S24U s-pen have any improvements over the one from the 22U? I kinda hate how holding the pen at a slight angle usually means it's not going to register so I end up having to write very deliberately with the pen at almost a perpendicular angle to the phone. It's really not a big deal but it's always been the one tiny improvement that I wished for while trying to take notes on this thing and I was curious if there were any meaningful changes to the pen itself in between iterations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Strange problem I'm having with my phone where Google Play Games isn't syncing data. The option for it is also missing on my Google Account sync settings oddly.

Lots of articles about it online but nothing seems to be helping. Anyone run into this or any ideas?

Everything is up to date. It signs in, just doesn't sync any data. I know not all games use that feature, but Slay the Spire definitely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As far as I know the pens are pretty much the same.