Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

silentsnack posted:

A lot of metal-cutting tools use ceramic grinding wheels or drillbits/sawblades made with metal-ceramic composite like tungsten carbide embedded in high-alloy steel. Or diamond.

Additionally, my wedding ring is tungsten carbide, since I was working in a metal shop at that time. Basically 100% scratch resistant, and if I had the misfortune of catching my finger in a press or something similar it would just shatter, rather than compress and probably sever my finger.

Didn't hurt it was way cheaper than gold/platinum/other fancy, yet soft metals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol whoops

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

The snapped bolt drill-out video has me, a layman, wondering about densities and hardness of metals and their use in tools. I'm sure some of you lot can elucidate how this stuff works. What factors are at play when you have a metal cutting or drilling through another metal, like in that video or any time someone uses a lathe to fabricate something? What kind of metals are the bits made of, how long do they last? What are the hardest metals and how do you fabricate something out of them?

metal very strong compared to wood. bolt metal is wood, bolt remover is metal. removing a wooden bolt from a wooden object with metal tools feels easier than removing metal from metal, but only because the difference between wood and metal is easier to sense than the difference between metal and much harder metal.

in your brain, metal is metal, but to the guy doing that, there's a vast forest of metal to be had. there's a lot of theory involved, but at the end of the day, the guy just out of frame looks at metal differently than you and I do. we can only hope that they pay him well enough that he keeps using his powers for good.

I'm joking and ignorant but I know enough to know that this is the most sense anyone reasonable is going to want to try and make out of what's happening. metal is not, under any circumstances, a crystal. I will scream startlingly hard as soon as anyone says austenite. bismuth will get you a desultory bark. pyrite a screech.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 30, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is it in?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Is it in?

Well, yes. But rather than being in the right hole, or the wrong hole, I’ve gone and done the unthinkable and made a new hole. Anyway, what’s your name?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't park there mate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Impressive penetration power!

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I hate when that happens

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that serious tooling for working with steel will often be made out of tungsten due to its impressive wear resistance, parts that would otherwise be worn down almost immediately can instead last much longer. This had made tungsten an important strategic resource in at least one war.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

its normal to clip like that

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Roundup Ready posted:

Additionally, my wedding ring is tungsten carbide, since I was working in a metal shop at that time. Basically 100% scratch resistant, and if I had the misfortune of catching my finger in a press or something similar it would just shatter, rather than compress and probably sever my finger.

Didn't hurt it was way cheaper than gold/platinum/other fancy, yet soft metals

Extremely OSHA post

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ded posted:

its normal to clip like that

Next time knock first

MuscaDomestica
Apr 27, 2017

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Well, yes. But rather than being in the right hole, or the wrong hole, I’ve gone and done the unthinkable and made a new hole. Anyway, what’s your name?

Don't worry it is normal for bedbugs...

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Fascinating stuff, thanks y'all. I'm gonna do some reading and watchin' about what's going on on an atomic level when you heat/quench/temper metals.

Do you think aliens have harder metals than us? EDIT: I sort of meant this humourously, but on a real level, is there theoretical advancement in metallurgy still yet to be achieved, or have we pretty much figured it out?

This is very tangential, but here's a cool YouTube channel on naval stuff; in this particular video brittle/ductile materials as armor are explained.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

they only do this when they're scared.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

you're welcome

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CainFortea posted:

Can't park there mate.

Are you willing to risk telling them that?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Uthor posted:

Are you willing to risk telling them that?

What's he gonna do? Drive through another brick wall about it?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

The Wizard of As

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Sorry for the tiktok, don’t unmute. Nonetheless,

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8njETAM/

Thread-appropriate update!

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8n4QCDA/

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/JRw3vil.mp4

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I like how he throws his hands up like it was a magic trick.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

UwUnabomber posted:

looks like magic to me :colbert:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

UwUnabomber posted:

It was tho :psyduck:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nah, it's a :science: trick

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Fascinating stuff, thanks y'all. I'm gonna do some reading and watchin' about what's going on on an atomic level when you heat/quench/temper metals.

Do you think aliens have harder metals than us? EDIT: I sort of meant this humourously, but on a real level, is there theoretical advancement in metallurgy still yet to be achieved, or have we pretty much figured it out?

Yes, absolutely.

As other people have mentioned, metallurgy isn't just about harder metals - but hardness is one property that is useful for certain applications. While we have a pretty good understanding of most of the commonly used structural metals (steels, aluminum, etc) there's nearly infinite possibility space in development of novel alloys. This is especially true because it isn't just the mix of materials in your alloy that determines properties, but also heat treatment and processing in general. Titanium, for example, is highly oxygen sensitive during alloying - even tiny amounts of contamination can cause shifts in final properties. High Entropy Alloys are one of the current big things in metallurgy research; those are effectively mixtures of lots of different alloying metals in large quantities, instead of just a few in low quantities (like, for example, steel is mostly iron with a few percent carbon and maybe some molybdenum or other metals, but a HEA would be something like CrMnFeCoNi, or Chromium-Manganese-Iron-Cobalt-Nickle.)

This gets even more complicated when you take into account multiphase materials. "Phase" is another term for the specific crystalline structure (and sorry person earlier in the thread, but almost all metals outside of a few experimental amorphous alloys in academia are indeed crystalline.) Heat treatment and other processing techniques influence properties mostly by influencing grain structure and size, where "grains" are the individual crystals. This is complicated enough for "simple" steels carefully designed with one phase, where all you have to worry about is impurities or improperly treated areas messing up your structure. We have a decent amount of knowledge of how grain structure and composition affects properties, but we're very far from understanding everything, and there's certainly no general theory to design materials from first principals. People are trying to develop something like that, albeit limited to specific cases or applications, but I don't think we're close enough to understanding it yet. I haven't even touched on nanostructured materials yet, which is a whole other structure-property relationship we're just barely starting to move into.

All of this is to say that metallurgical research is still a huge area with lots of open questions to pursue.

And then there's ceramics, polymers, foams, amorphous materials like glass, bio materials...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think crystalline peep was fuckin w us

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

i will not take this slander lying down

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
phase structure is surprisingly related to computational problems. math of second order phase transition in rare earth metal poo poo (the Kondo effect), the stuff that peeps used to prove the universality of the renormalization group, is really related to the math of the difficulty of problems in certain portions of the problem space in np-complete problems. it's this fact that kirkpatrick and khachaturyan and those other peeps used to invent simulated annealing, or one of the only Here's-This-Subject-Matter-We-Know,-Let's-Use-It-To-Do-AI-Stuff things in AI that actually works and that peeps still use occasionally

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

phase structure is surprisingly related to computational problems. math of second order phase transition in rare earth metal poo poo (the Kondo effect), the stuff that peeps used to prove the universality of the renormalization group, is really related to the math of the difficulty of problems in certain portions of the problem space in np-complete problems. it's this fact that kirkpatrick and khachaturyan and those other peeps used to invent simulated annealing, or one of the only Here's-This-Subject-Matter-We-Know,-Let's-Use-It-To-Do-AI-Stuff things in AI that actually works and that peeps still use occasionally

I'm firmly on the experimental side and know nothing about that, please continue. That sounds fascinating.

I have seen some attempts to use deep learning/AI in material discovery. I'm skeptical but willing to let people who know the topic more than I do take their shot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
quantum compute was originally imagined as trying to simulate hamiltonians in high-dimensional space, too, the cryptography stuff was found out from theory-land only in the 90s

deep learning is special inasmuch as peeps will pour money into it, not like, incredibly special algorithmically

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Aliens: "oh wow, you're still using metal? You mean you haven't even discovered slood?"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Look at this guy using slood instead of solidified noble gases.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I'm holding out for the stable transuranics myself. There's gotta be at least one, right? ...Right?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

deep learning is special inasmuch as peeps will pour money into it, not like, incredibly special algorithmically

Yeah, that's why I'm skeptical. I don't really think it's suited to the task. I guess the theory is that giving the algorithm enough info about structure-property relations will let it find patterns humans miss, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Log082 posted:

I'm firmly on the experimental side and know nothing about that, please continue. That sounds fascinating.

I have seen some attempts to use deep learning/AI in material discovery. I'm skeptical but willing to let people who know the topic more than I do take their shot.

Some of those “deep learning/AI” algorithms for investigating lots of
Permutations are that they simply run a simulation, jiggle the inputs a little, and then run the simulation again. Was it better or worse? Ok, pick the better one. That way they can map out a huge input space and simulate a whole lot of different materials but without having to have a human tend to the inputs. And there is an element of random chance as they don’t want to get stuck on a local maximum.

It’s very different from “AI” in which you ask ChatGPT to give you a recipe for the strongest metal and it starts telling you about Mammy Down On The Farm hand picking berries, which it plagiarised from some other website.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Aliens: "oh wow, you're still using metal? You mean you haven't even discovered slood?"

Reminds me of this:
https://www.mit.edu/people/dpolicar/writing/prose/text/thinkingMeat.html

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats what ai meant before 2022 or whereabouts, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Serjeant Snubbin posted:

Some of those “deep learning/AI” algorithms for investigating lots of
Permutations are that they simply run a simulation, jiggle the inputs a little, and then run the simulation again. Was it better or worse? Ok, pick the better one. That way they can map out a huge input space and simulate a whole lot of different materials but without having to have a human tend to the inputs. And there is an element of random chance as they don’t want to get stuck on a local maximum.

It’s very different from “AI” in which you ask ChatGPT to give you a recipe for the strongest metal and it starts telling you about Mammy Down On The Farm hand picking berries, which it plagiarised from some other website.

Oh, I know the difference in AI types, at least at a basic level. It's funny you mention simulations; one of the more successful integrations of deep learning that I've seen has been feeding a model lots of simulation data and then letting it replace the simulation for future permutations. Done correctly it can save a lot of time, as high level material simulations tend to be very costly to run and while training a model takes a lot of time, running it afterwards isn't so bad. I always worry about the answers those return once you outside of the envelope it was trained in, but presumably the people running them know the limits better than me.

What I was talking about earlier was a step beyond that, though. It's not asking chatGPT or whatever, but training new models on experimental and model data to try and get at connections between composition/structure/etc and desired properties. That seems like a huge task to me and I don't know if it will ever work the way they think it will. One neat thing coming out of though is highly automated laboratories, because they need so much training data for these models that even throwing an army of grad students at it won't work. I don't know how useful they'll be in a broader sense in the long run, but it's still very neat to see professors building what are effectively science assembly lines where you put a puck of material in one end and get an automatically uploaded set of material properties out of the other, without any further human intervention.