Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

credburn posted:

So is the season good or bad? Because everyone is just making GBS threads all over it.

It's fine if you pretend its not under the True Detective banner, which frankly can be said of all of them except S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's just kind of mediocre and very, very dumb, but still entertaining enough and the actors are good. It's only six episodes so I'm sticking with it but my expectations aren't high.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

critics love it and journalists seem to like it but all i read are complaints from people so i assume its bc theyre mad at jodie foster

oh yea and that guy that was upset that the umbilical cord didnt slither around in the correct audio channel

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Worf posted:

critics love it and journalists seem to like it but all i read are complaints from people so i assume its bc theyre mad at jodie foster

oh yea and that guy that was upset that the umbilical cord didnt slither around in the correct audio channel

Why would anyone be mad at jodie foster?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Saganlives posted:

She stood up for Mel Gibson.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Lol ah, I see

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Saganlives posted:

She presumably read the script and still accepted the job :wtc:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

credburn posted:

So is the season good or bad? Because everyone is just making GBS threads all over it.

I think it's been great so far. Best season in years.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Shrugworth

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Ep3 was better than ep2. Interesting that Danver's dead child was in Navarro's hallucination. My guess is theyre each covering up for each other--Nav found D drunk after the accident, and D fudged the police report when Navarro pops that man that murdered his gf in the dome. Unsure which happens first, but I think part of their friction is this M.A.D., and how they each sorta forced each other in that position.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
S2 is high art compared to this steaming pile.
e: S2 wasn't as bad as some of you seem to think.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 31, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Got into it and binged season 1, which was pretty great yeah. Started season 2 and when a drunk Colin Farrel beats up that kids dad and talks a bunch of poo poo to him I lold

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

Got into it and binged season 1, which was pretty great yeah. Started season 2 and when a drunk Colin Farrel beats up that kids dad and talks a bunch of poo poo to him I lold
That scene and Rust talking to the drunk ex-revival preacher are the best scenes in the series.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Cohle telling the lady to kill herself is also loving sick

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The part where he goes back to the bikers and they want to raid a drug house is so good.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The part where he goes back to the bikers and they want to raid a drug house is so good.

The whole raid had my partner on edge and cringing in her seat. I was expecting the confrontation with ledoux to be the high point but it felt more like the raid was

Season 2 is sort of interesting so far but it hasn't been spooky enough to draw me in. Which is to say it hasn't been spooky at all so far

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Season 2 is more like Gangster Cringe. Vaughn is like Michael Scott trying to be hard.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

titty_baby_ posted:

The whole raid had my partner on edge and cringing in her seat. I was expecting the confrontation with ledoux to be the high point but it felt more like the raid was

Season 2 is sort of interesting so far but it hasn't been spooky enough to draw me in. Which is to say it hasn't been spooky at all so far

Season 2 and 3 have zero spookiness

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Season 2 and 3 have zero spookiness

Eh, S3 has those alzheimers sequences that kind of are

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
S1 is great television because it’s weird and ominous and atmospheric as gently caress — the only downside being a lot of extremely misogynistic sub- (and regular-) text.

This season corrects that at least, and attempts to reconjure the bleak-and-spooky sense of place of S1. Sadly it mostly fails at that (though like everyone else, I gotta give props to the Corpseberg), while also failing hard on coherent plotting, compelling characterization, and anything actually suspenseful. Extra points deducted for many elements of the eventual solution being (I’m 99% certain) clumsily telegraphed from the very first episode.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
pretty sure this whole season is a tax write off scheme. watch. they'll write the whole show off as a loss, remove it from streaming and get big fat checks because [...]

it does not seem like anyone was interested in making a good show.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
It’s actually really disappointing because Arctic Noir is a cool genre (possibly invented by John Carpenter??), and the show is very well cast. Foster could definitely pull off the “flawed, prickly genius detective who outwits both the killer and the patriarchy” thing, ala Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect, and Reis has a unique charisma. But the whole thing founders on inept dialog, plotting, and general sloppiness and lack of originality.

Looks great, though.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Finally caught the latest eppie. Anyone catch the "quid pro quo" reffie? :cheeky:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Anyone catch the "quid pro quo" reffie? :cheeky:

Yes. And it was ham-handed as poo poo, much like everything else in this show. Reference is not the indicator of cleverness that people seem to think.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

No reverence for reference in this thread I tell you hwat

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
This show isn't very good. Halfway through and I'm not interested in the mystery, the characters, or their motivations. It feels like a show written by committee, but I don't think it was. I think this was just a bad script, with bad direction, bad SFX, and bad performances. I really like Jody Foster too, I'm pretty disappointed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Yes. And it was ham-handed as poo poo, much like everything else in this show. Reference is not the indicator of cleverness that people seem to think.

It's just a reffie bro

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i was reading it wasnt even supposed to be a true detective script & it got repurposed

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Robobot posted:

This show isn't very good. Halfway through and I'm not interested in the mystery, the characters, or their motivations. It feels like a show written by committee, but I don't think it was. I think this was just a bad script, with bad direction, bad SFX, and bad performances. I really like Jody Foster too, I'm pretty disappointed.

I’m hanging on for the atmosphere and the mystery at this point, and even then just to see if I guessed the ending correctly. I’m not invested in a single character. It feels like the actors are doing their best, but the dialogue is soo clunky. I don’t know how anyone got through the “poo poo bowl” scenes.

I’m giving this season the edge over S2 for now, unless an upcoming episode beats Vince Vaughn’s “blue balls of the heart” speech in terms of sheer awfulness.

Fake edit: remembering this terrible exchange from S2:

“You’re a cop, right? Lady cop?”
“What gave me away, the tits?”

Nic Pazzolatto typed that into a script and NO ONE STOPPED HIM

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

yea thats dumb af considering how eventually all cops regardless of gender end up with massive honkers

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Worf posted:

i was reading it wasnt even supposed to be a true detective script & it got repurposed

HBO: "Nobody is going to watch this poo poo... but hold on, you said there's detectives in it?"

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Worf posted:

all cops regardless of gender end up with massive honkers

new thread title

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Name's Spade. Sam Spade. I've got a .33 in my holster, and double-D's in my boulder-holder. I solve crimes.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Name's Detective, first name True. I'm a detective.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
True Detective Season 4 was originally planned to come out for the 3DS but its poor writing couldn't garner the official NINTENDO SEAL OF QUALITY so HBO scooped it up for fifty bucks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really hope they cancel tomorrow's planned episode and never air the rest of the show and apologize.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

kntfkr posted:

I really hope they cancel tomorrow's planned episode and never air the rest of the show and apologize.

I really hope they don't do that. I'm invested.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

covidstomper58 posted:

I really hope they don't do that. I'm invested.

My uncle works at hbo I’ll tell him not to

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Suggest to him that they could reboot Raised by Wolves or True Blaive if they air the rest of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmao I forgot about blues balls of the heart.