Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Game would def benefit from an option to scale all pals to your level and another to randomize stats and skills, at least it would extend the late game grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My pals need to stop putting my milk in the feed box.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Mine keep putting wheat into it.
And somehow loving with the order of the box so they eat the raw wheat instead of the hundreds of jam-filled 'buns' or random cooked meats.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They eat from the first slot and as soon as it's empty they fill it up with whatever food they find next.

Keep the last 4 slots full of thousands of junk berries each, and keep the first slot filled with as much of whatever the best food you can currently make without meat. That's the only way I've found to get them to put raw produce into my fridges, which I also put nearer to the farms.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not mine, but cool
https://imgur.com/user/CrochetConi

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Just put 1 honey in every slot but the first in the feed box, since it doesn't expire.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The sword seems about just as good at mining and trees as the Refined tools.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah the sword is like the multi tool I wanted all along for those two chores.
I have seen people say the ancient tech spear also works well for this, but haven't built one myself to verify.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Again the only thing in the raids favor imo is that the dudes drop good stuff like medicine, money, and ammo. Ymmv but I'll take the occasional free delivery of some items to my base. I don't think I've ever had a pal get killed by a raid, just crafting things in the base raises every pal's level enough that they can usually put up a good fight.

They do, assuming it's syndicate, but in the time it takes to grind all my base pals to 50 (since the raids seem to scale to your level) I could instead just... go get gold and buy all the things. No dragging low level chumps along trying to grind them up, no crafting tables getting wrecked, just go bust syndicate heads and catch pals then sell some pals if I want stupid levels of money. When I was level 15 then sure I'd fight the raid and maybe get a new pal or some ammo but if I turned them on now my entire operation would be razed almost instantly.

I'm not advocating for the removal of raids (or cooling, or pal negative statuses) just saying they're off until they're fun and useful instead of just an obstacle where winning nets me a pittance and losing destroys the game.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Mailer posted:

They do, assuming it's syndicate, but in the time it takes to grind all my base pals to 50 (since the raids seem to scale to your level) I could instead just... go get gold and buy all the things. No dragging low level chumps along trying to grind them up, no crafting tables getting wrecked, just go bust syndicate heads and catch pals then sell some pals if I want stupid levels of money. When I was level 15 then sure I'd fight the raid and maybe get a new pal or some ammo but if I turned them on now my entire operation would be razed almost instantly.

I'm not advocating for the removal of raids (or cooling, or pal negative statuses) just saying they're off until they're fun and useful instead of just an obstacle where winning nets me a pittance and losing destroys the game.

Sounds like the raids should be, or have an option to be, scaled to an average of all currently active pals in the base and your own level. Will it make things easier? Probably. Will it be better than just telling people to turn off raids? Probably.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Grounded had raids and it had the same problems.

Either pathing is hosed so things can't reach you or fall into the world. Or they reach the player, but at mismatched power where it's either a steamroll, either for or against the player, either way it's not tuned right and there's not a risk/reward or real strategic defense. It's shooting fish in a barrel or frustrating players who get wrecked and want to turn it off.

I think in devs heads it plays out like a tower defense maps almost, with players building walls to funnel enemies into traps and defenses... But it never works out.

I think for that gameplay to work it needs to be more curated and controlled. Especially when pathfinding struggles with even the default terrain, let alone any player constructions.

Edit: early on I would say Grounded handled raids better, we had occasional ant attacks from a nearby nest and after we provoked then they'd sometimes send raids and attack our outer walls. They'd buzz off or be defeated before wrecking everything and leave us enough left to start repairing and reinforcing with new defenses knowing where to expect their attacks. Our second base and later ones fell into too easy or broken territory.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 30, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's no chance of building RimWorld style kill corridors and such when the build space is limited. You can of course turn detoriation to a minimum but at some point I just turned raids off too. My pals were getting butchered by raiders way higher than their level and it was just a huge mess in general.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If tower defense is intended to be a major gameplay element, maybe the devs could use their newfound wealth to poach some of the folks who worked on Orcs Must Die

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

sushibandit posted:

I have seen people say the ancient tech spear also works well for this, but haven't built one myself to verify.

It works almost as well. For ore the spear takes a number of extra hits compared to refined pick, vs the sword which is the same number of his for an ore pile as the Refined pick.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 30, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do I get more regular technology points? I'm all out and the map bosses & dungeons seem to only give ancient tech? I'd like to make a saddle for the Frostallion, that thing kicks rear end. Try to hit up sanctuaries for tech manuals? Or is there a faster way?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TeaJay posted:

How do I get more regular technology points? I'm all out and the map bosses & dungeons seem to only give ancient tech? I'd like to make a saddle for the Frostallion, that thing kicks rear end. Try to hit up sanctuaries for tech manuals? Or is there a faster way?

Chests in the endgame areas, especially at the end of dungeons and at the wildlife reserve in the top right of the map, regularly drop tech manuals that give you 2-3 tech points. Should probably be the fastest way to farm them.
Other than that you get some every time you level.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Maybe breed and slaughter a bunch of hoocrates pals?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh poo poo, heads up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Palworld/comments/1aeinxj/how_to_transfer_any_weight_resources_without/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

It doesn't hurt that this is basically the only survival crafty game with a playable night. Every other one gets so loving dark it's untouchable.

I thought night was nearly unplayable dark in Palworld till I got a fire pet / hip lantern. It's also not as bad if you've got a flyer and are seeking out the essences, but when I was just starting out night felt so miserably dark I nearly didn't want to play till it was day again.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Somebody complained about it before, but I kinda like the big goofy pals being useless in tight spaces. It ads a shread of realism and makes those mega boss not something you can rely on for everything. It's pretty much the same consideration of taking explosives in shooters.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I tried the aim-while-mounted trick to use my pickaxe while on top of the reptyro to get the mining efficiency bonus, but lo and behold, it's too big and I can't get close enough to a rock to mine it. lol

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Spawn rates on certain pals are pretty bad, no? I reset the northeast reserve probably 50 times last night before a single Felaris spawned. It's gonna be a nightmare to get enough of these to breed/condense.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It works almost as well. For ore the spear takes a number of extra hits compared to refined pick, vs the sword which is the same number of his for an ore pile as the Refined pick.
Good to know, I'll gladly replace 2 items with 1, and I either just unlocked it or it's only 1 level away currently.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Have you already gotten every fast travel point? I know they give one per fast travel unlock.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

So I just got this game and am starting to gently caress around with it. Is there a goon server for it yet?

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
Any tips on how to get pal juice in the early game?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chello De Don posted:

Murder/capture the water type pals on beaches.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Chello De Don posted:

kill a shitload of pengullets or fuacks, depending on where you spawned

incredible

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Amusingly capturing mons gives you their drops so you can double dip by capturing then butchering them, though I find that a bit tedious over just killing them outright.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chello De Don posted:

You can see what Pals drop from the Paldex once you've caught them once. Pals give drops on KO or Capture. If you capture you can also butcher to get the drops again.

Capturing in general is good XP, so just trying to catch 10 of everything you see, especially early on, will land you with a fair amount of pal juice. Alternatively, look for merchants - some of the early ones should sell pal juice. If you need cash, apparently nails are good to sell if you have an okay supply of ingots.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
You’re going to want a lot of captured ones to feed the condenser later so unless you’re palsphere starved capturing is worth the trouble.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sushibandit posted:

Spawn rates on certain pals are pretty bad, no? I reset the northeast reserve probably 50 times last night before a single Felaris spawned. It's gonna be a nightmare to get enough of these to breed/condense.

Good to know, I'll gladly replace 2 items with 1, and I either just unlocked it or it's only 1 level away currently.

Yeah the rare guys on those islands are a pain to wait to catch. You can however start breeding Faeleris long before then using Anubis + Vanwyrm. I just finished 4 starring my Faeleris, he owns. Overall +45% attack from traits too.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How long did it take to 4 star a mon like Faelris lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was level 37 when I started I think, now I'm 45. I was also 4 starring a Shadowbeak and an Ozerk.

Honestly if Pals would reliably stay in breeding pens without any weird glitches or micromanagement or having to fill on rebuild the pen, it would've been pretty easy. But after every adventure I'd have to go to all 3 bases and make sure all the breeding pals were actually working.

Also since Shadowbeak don't need to sleep, I ended up with 2 dozen extra eggs without realizing it since they were the pal I started on last, thought they would be done last but the 24/7 breeding just generates eggs way faster.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The French Army posted:

So I just got this game and am starting to gently caress around with it. Is there a goon server for it yet?

yup there's one for EU one for NA

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052656

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

With regards to raids, they're pretty trivial if you do the following as soon as one's announced:

Go to your pal box. Sort by level. Press q so you're in the last box, hopefully empty. Right click all your worker pals to very quickly put them away. Go back to the first box with your highest level guys. Right click them all.

The raid shows up, and is eviscerated by all the bosses and high level poo poo you captured. Some of them die, but you don't care. Just put them all away, and go back to that box you put all your workers and quickly take them out.

It takes like 5 seconds when you get used to it and you don't need to build any defenses.

I built a breeding/farming base on a completely flat open area where things would hopefully be less difficult for my guys, and with this method I have never had to build any walls or anything.

sushibandit posted:

Just put 1 honey in every slot but the first in the feed box, since it doesn't expire.
This is a really good idea, but then don't they just put wheat and stuff in random chests? I'd love it if they put stuff that can expire in the fridge as zealously as they try to put it in the feed box.

Come to think of it there's basically no reason for them to put stuff in the feed box because they really should never be eating raw food, and they never collect cooked food.

It'd be amazing if there were some slightly more advanced job settings. Even most basically "make x whenever possible" and "take completed items to storage." There's definitely things like ore production you'd want to set up that way as well.

And while I'm dreaming- I want to be able to queue up jobs. Make a few hundred cloth, then a few hundred nails, then a bunch of gunpowder.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah the rare guys on those islands are a pain to wait to catch. You can however start breeding Faeleris long before then using Anubis + Vanwyrm. I just finished 4 starring my Faeleris, he owns. Overall +45% attack from traits too.
Faeleris was such a good tip from earlier. I just hatched my first one and it is an amazing mount. I heard it was fast, but was expecting it to have like low stamina or something to make up for it, but no. You can fly between continents with that thing.

The eggs taking over an hour are crazy though. Anyone know how to actually get a fire egg to be as warm as it actually wants to be? I've surrounded all my incubators with camp fires and heaters and they're still 'a little cold'.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I'm at the musket/handgun age with level 25ish pals, but getting decent pal spheres is kind of a pain and capturing good pals is frustrating with the basic ones.

Should I spend ingots to craft them? It still seems super expensive, even having a mining secondary base with a Digtoise drilling everything at lightspeed. Since you have to be at the base for your pals to do anything it still is pretty slow.

Does it get better later on?

Also, getting endgame pal eggs through breeding and exploring endgame areas is great. I have Jormuntide Ignis and Anubis and they kick rear end.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Here's another way to deal with raids:

Change World Settings -> Custom Settings -> Set Enable Raid Events to OFF

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Washin Tong posted:

I'm at the musket/handgun age with level 25ish pals, but getting decent pal spheres is kind of a pain and capturing good pals is frustrating with the basic ones.

Should I spend ingots to craft them? It still seems super expensive, even having a mining secondary base with a Digtoise drilling everything at lightspeed. Since you have to be at the base for your pals to do anything it still is pretty slow.

Does it get better later on?

Also, getting endgame pal eggs through breeding and exploring endgame areas is great. I have Jormuntide Ignis and Anubis and they kick rear end.
I have ended up with ore being plentiful and ingots being cheap, somehow. Not sure what exactly pushed me over the edge, but back when I was feeling the pinch one thing I'd do was help out the digtoises. Go to your mining camp and just mine all the ore, dumping it in your transport box when you're about to get encumbered, and drag it all back like you normally would when you're done. Automation is nice, but you can also get a lot of ore when you need it if you treat your mining base just like a fast travel point with a box next to it.

Because you really do need the higher level balls. I don't even carry blue or green ones with me anymore. And to get the even higher tier balls you need materials you can't easily farm, so you want to find a merchant to buy the stuff from, and sell nails to. And nails need ore. So overproduce that ore, it'll be the basis of almost everything eventually.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eiba posted:

With regards to raids, they're pretty trivial if you do the following as soon as one's announced:

Go to your pal box. Sort by level. Press q so you're in the last box, hopefully empty. Right click all your worker pals to very quickly put them away. Go back to the first box with your highest level guys. Right click them all.

The raid shows up, and is eviscerated by all the bosses and high level poo poo you captured. Some of them die, but you don't care. Just put them all away, and go back to that box you put all your workers and quickly take them out.

It takes like 5 seconds when you get used to it and you don't need to build any defenses.

I built a breeding/farming base on a completely flat open area where things would hopefully be less difficult for my guys, and with this method I have never had to build any walls or anything.

This is a really good idea, but then don't they just put wheat and stuff in random chests? I'd love it if they put stuff that can expire in the fridge as zealously as they try to put it in the feed box.

Come to think of it there's basically no reason for them to put stuff in the feed box because they really should never be eating raw food, and they never collect cooked food.

It'd be amazing if there were some slightly more advanced job settings. Even most basically "make x whenever possible" and "take completed items to storage." There's definitely things like ore production you'd want to set up that way as well.

And while I'm dreaming- I want to be able to queue up jobs. Make a few hundred cloth, then a few hundred nails, then a bunch of gunpowder.

Faeleris was such a good tip from earlier. I just hatched my first one and it is an amazing mount. I heard it was fast, but was expecting it to have like low stamina or something to make up for it, but no. You can fly between continents with that thing.

The eggs taking over an hour are crazy though. Anyone know how to actually get a fire egg to be as warm as it actually wants to be? I've surrounded all my incubators with camp fires and heaters and they're still 'a little cold'.

Really hoping we get stuff like the ability to direct skill prioritization and some kind of inventory filtration or Pal-commanding to "Take thing X, put it in container Y ONLY, WHY THE gently caress IS THERE ONE REDBERRY SEED IN EVERY SINGLE BOX COME HERE YOU IDIOT I HAVE A BUTCHER KNIFE WITH YOUR NAME ON IT"

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

This also works in Dyson Sphere Program, so no idea why I didn't even try to do it here :doh:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
As important and time consuming to make as cakes are they shouldn’t expire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

As important and time consuming to make as cakes are they shouldn’t expire.
They don't if you store them in the breeding facility!