Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

live with fruit posted:

If Jones was a borderline case it might be an interesting argument but he's not. And who cares if he "stopped trying?" Does every player have to grind themselves into dust for our entertainment?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just put Jones and Utley in

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just put Jones and Utley in

No poo poo.

They were very important figures during their time in Major League Baseball.
I feel like that should be more important than voters stress.

While I'm not quite in the Kevin Goldstein camp of thinking it should just be the "Hall of Famous", I think players should be in the Hall of Fame if they were important to the story of baseball during their "era," with some exceptions (like I wouldn't put the entire '86 Mets in the Hall of Fame because some of them became famous for reasons other than on-the field narratives).

I could make a career out of arguing about the Hall of Fame, (if someone wanted to pay me for my thoughts) though.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 29, 2024

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

If Jones was a borderline case it might be an interesting argument but he's not. And who cares if he "stopped trying?" Does every player have to grind themselves into dust for our entertainment?
low 60's WAR is in fact borderline

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

tadashi posted:

The only reason Jones isn't in the HoF is because a few chuds still think he used PEDs to hit 51 Hr that one season instead of understanding that elite athletes have peak years and going from ~35 HR pear year to peaking at 51 HR isn't that crazy of a leap, relatively speaking.

People should stop looking exclusively at HR and batting average and consider steals when it comes to PEDs, IMO. Anthony Rizzo has a lot of explaining to do about the season he stole 17 bases (about 3x his career average).

I still remember Brady Anderson going off for 51 HR after a previous peak of 20ish. Just seemed like an outlier wunderyear that should've been a career highlight, but then BALCO, etc made a lot of folks just assume he doped.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

low 60's WAR is in fact borderline

67 fWAR.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only year Jones was truly bad was his year in LA, after that he was mediocre/replacement level but also was barely getting paid. After he left LA he signed a minor league contract with the Rangers so the narrative that he was phoning it in for the money doesn't even really make sense.

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 29, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

The only year Jones was truly bad was his year in LA, after that he was mediocre/replacement level but also was barely getting paid. After he left LA he signed a minor league contract with the Rangers so the narrative that he was phoning it in for the money doesn't even really make sense.

He also had two good years at 32-33.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1752045694930583927

Ohtani replacement just dropped!!!!!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Even if Andruw “stopped trying” (which is impossible to say for sure; it’s all vibes, the same poo poo that got Jim Rice and Jack Morris in), it doesn’t affect his good years (i.e., the years that actually make his case) at all

It’s a dumb argument and you should stop making it. You don’t like him because he was bad for your team. That’s fine, but it’s not a real case in the slightest

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is somehow still more than the Marlins have done

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is somehow still more than the Guardians have done

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is somehow still more than the Twins have done

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Who said he was phoning it in for the money? The charge is that he was just plain phoning it in.

live with fruit posted:

He also had two good years at 32-33.
I would not describe 0.3 and 1.9 bWAR (or 0.6 and 1.4 fWAR) as "two good years"

He did manage a 120 OPS+ and the only positive dWAR of his post-ATL career in that White Sox season. For whatever it's worth, Fangraphs has him at negative (below average) defensive value that year.

As has been pointed out, that season seemed to correspond to him getting back in shape somewhat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What would be the purpose of phoning it in for years well getting paid barely above league minimum signing minor league contracts and even going to play in Japan (where he played quite well)?

Ultimately it's a narrative argument and whether that matters is a personal opinion, if you shuffle the dates around and Jones worst seasons are at the beginning of his career we aren't even having this discussion.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

What would be the purpose of phoning it in for years well getting paid barely above league minimum signing minor league contracts and even going to play in Japan (where he played quite well)?

Ultimately it's a narrative argument and whether that matters is a personal opinion, if you shuffle the dates around and Jones worst seasons are at the beginning of his career we aren't even having this discussion.
Yes because a guy who starts bad and then figures it out is showing growth and perseverance to push through his challenges to become a better player. A guy who starts great and then gets out of shape and bad is giving up. These behaviors are the inverse of one another and thus should elicit different reactions.

Baseball players are people, not random number generators producing statistically independent seasons over a period of years.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 29, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Yes because a guy who starts bad and then figures it out is showing growth and perseverance to push through his challenges to become a better player. A guy who starts great and then gets out of shape and bad is giving up. These behaviors are the inverse of one another and thus should elicit different reactions.

Okay boomer

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes baseball players are people and if you buy the narrative that he let himself get out of shape and have a single bad season does that invalidate the rest of his otherwise HoF worthy career? Given that he continued to play even on minor league contracts and for relatively little money seems to show that he cared about playing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It was more than a single bad season

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That was the only season he posted a negative bWAR, he was otherwise mediocre and being picked up as a primarily part time player.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sub-1 WAR seasons are also bad, imo

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This discussion needs to phone it in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

His knees were also some level of hosed from his last season with Atlanta through the end of his career.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > MLB N/V 2023-24 Offseason: The 280-pound Andruw (bWAR?)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What's important here is that some podcasters said I am right.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Seems to have popped off when another player hit Puig

https://twitter.com/lisettecarnet/status/1750383952177856693

This tweet is from his agent so maybe there’s more before who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYMO1MXuDEw

Interrupting Jones-chat to follow up on this, Jomboy did a breakdown and yeah across the two (lol) brawls that erupted in this game Puig was either hanging back or trying to play peacemaker until some guy decided to suckerpunch him resulting in Puig seeing red for a bit. Even after that once he's pulled off the guy who hit him Puig calms down pretty quick and seems to later be making up with players from the other team.

Also it's a story with a happy ending in that the team that instigated both times by being salty about too much celebrating immediately blows it after the second scrum.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

What's important here is that some podcasters said I am right.

I can easily find 237 people that disagree with you though

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

he was worth 1 WAR in 65 games with Baltimore so sure, whatever

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bees x1000 posted:

he was worth 1 WAR in 65 games with Baltimore so sure, whatever

that's almost 3 WAR over a complete season. not bad for league minimum

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Twins traded Jorge Polancoo to Mariners for some minor keaguers

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Twins traded Jorge Polancoo to Mariners for some minor keaguers

Biggest get for the Twins is Gonzalez obviously, physically limited, short corner OF who can hit the poo poo out of the ball but who has some power questions. Could play in '24 for a big league club but probably '25.

Topa's a good mid/high leverage reliever, Descalfani is whatever and Bowen is a lottery ticket with starter upside down the line.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Good move for Seattle imo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/6jays_place/status/1752203902664016260

Sure why not

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'll always have a soft spot for Toronto and the Jays after a bunch of work trips there during my years at a startup. JT is great, hopefully he's got a little left in the tank for them.

He has to keep playing because he's only a few weeks older than me, so I appreciate him persevering so that I don't have to feel too old just yet.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 30, 2024

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
As a Toronto fan I have a soft spot for LA cuz I love
me some Vin Scully.

Not too sure what to think of this signing. Is he gonna be our full time DH or play some third? I was hoping for Soler for the DH spot

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Justin Tuner is how old now, 45?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1752331389884592535

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1752338139018912082

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Not too sure what to think of this signing. Is he gonna be our full time DH or play some third? I was hoping for Soler for the DH spot

I read that he's going to be full-time DH with occasional starts at 1B/3B. I feel like the Jays are going to be mid again this year unless some guys have big bouncebacks.