Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes crash severity increases as you go faster. No one is disputing that. In that same section it also says that there are far fewer crashes on freeways than other roads, despite the speeds being higher.

They explain why they haven't drawn any conclusions from that fact though.

quote:

A clear understanding of how speed affects safety has also been obscured by the use of different speed-related indicators and a wide range of study methods. Different studies have evaluated the safety effects of speed limits, operating speeds and design speed, with some studies making the unsubstantiated assumption that these characteristics are related to each other. Many of the speed related studies are based on data from high-speed highways. Too often, the results and conclusions of these studies are inappropriately applied to all roads and streets.
You are doing the thing that they specifically say should not be done. The one document you found to support your argument actually does not say what you want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
How are they rating crash severity and is that controlling for safety features in cars? The worst car accident I’ve ever personally seen was at something like 40mph but the completely hammered occupants of the car did like everything possible to subvert the safety features of the car. The overwhelming majority of the highway accidents I went to involved minor injuries even when the car was hosed- the one exception being one with a combo of an unbelted passenger and someone else having their feet up on the dash (do not do this. :gonk:)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

They explain why they haven't drawn any conclusions from that fact though.

You are doing the thing that they specifically say should not be done. The one document you found to support your argument actually does not say what you want it to.

Okay look here. Take a look at the stuff that talks about 85th Percentile Speed. That's where it talks about the speed people actually drive (as established by traffic studies). There's section on how that relates to speed limits:

quote:

Posted speed limits must be reasonable... The (MUTCD) (16) indicates that posted speeds “should be within 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic." ... State or local officials often receive citizen requests for speed limit reductions because of perceived excessive speeds. However, research has repeatedly shown that changes in posted speeds have little effect on operating speeds.

Emphasis mine.

For further explanation, I'ma just quote from the Traffic Engineer thread in Ask/Tell. OP hasn't been active there for a long time, but he did do some write-ups on how speed limits are established:

Cichlidae posted:

Answering this alone because it's important.

In our theories of design, there is one number that shows up again and again. In France, they call it the V15. Here, we call it the 85th percentile speed. This is the speed slower than which 85% of drivers travel. It's usually 5-10 mph above the average speed. (There are two ways to calculate mean speed, but that's a story for another time.)

This 85th %ile speed is supposed to be equal to another number, the elusive design speed. The design speed is the maximum safe speed for the worst design vehicle on dry pavement. For example, if a freeway has a design speed of 75 mph, then a turnpike double (huge tractor-trailer) could safely negotiate its curves at 75 mph on a good day. Most cars, obviously, could safely go much faster, even in adverse conditions.

And then we have the third important speed, the speed limit. This is ALSO theoretically equal to the 85th %ile speed and the design speed. Sounds simple enough, right?

Every road I have a project on will have a speed survey done. They generally show that the 85th %ile speed is pretty close to the design speed. This is the Northeast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little faster; we don't like to waste time. I try to set the speed limit around that point.

Then Granny McGee and her 40 bingo buddies write an angry letter to the mayor, complaining that people are speeding and how unsafe the road is! Next thing I know, I'm putting up a "25 mph" sign on a road that I know can handle 40 with no problem.

Now lowering the speed limit sounds like it would be pretty safe, right? Welp, buddy, that's why I'm the traffic engineer and not you. Turns out, it's not so much the speed that makes accidents, but the speed differential! When Granny McGee's blustering along at 40 mph, trying to keep up with the rest of the cars, nobody's getting rear-ended. But once she slows down to 25 mph, and the guy behind her is trying to go 50, that's a dangerous situation.

What we see when we check speeds on almost any road, is that the 85th %ile speed is generally 10 mph faster than the speed limit. Does that mean that the MAJORITY is speeding? Probably! Does that mean the speed limit should be raised? Probably! Does that mean you can drive as fast as you think is safe? Well, I already answered that one in the OP. You've gotta follow the laws, no matter how dumb they are.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The main time I hate fast drivers are when it’s pretty busy and no lane will let you go too far without coming up behind someone, so they’re frantically trying to change lanes and speed up, only to catch up and move to another lane, never really going much faster than traffic

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Tiggum posted:

"Nothing that currently exists is actually AI."

Yes it is. That's what the term means. No one is using the specific, technical definition you're insisting on. You're not impressing anyone with your "pumpkins are actually fruit!" bullshit.

You of all people taking the descriptivist side of a descriptivist vs prescriptivist language argument feels like it should be accompanied by angels blowing trumpets and pouring bowls out onto the world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Okay look here. Take a look at the stuff that talks about 85th Percentile Speed. That's where it talks about the speed people actually drive (as established by traffic studies). There's section on how that relates to speed limits:

Emphasis mine.
That still doesn't actually say the thing you want it to. Where, in that entire document, does it say anything about speed differences between vehicles being more significant/dangerous than faster speeds? It's not in any of the parts you've quoted.

Silver Falcon posted:

For further explanation, I'ma just quote from the Traffic Engineer thread in Ask/Tell. OP hasn't been active there for a long time, but he did do some write-ups on how speed limits are established:
This is someone saying the same thing you're saying but, again, without any actual evidence.

docbeard posted:

You of all people taking the descriptivist side of a descriptivist vs prescriptivist language argument feels like it should be accompanied by angels blowing trumpets and pouring bowls out onto the world.
When have I ever been a language prescriptivist?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Wait, what people are saying that pumpkins aren't fruit?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tiggum posted:

Did you actually read the document you linked? The first point in their summary is "As speed increases, crash severity increases. The relationship between the probability of a crash and speed is less clear." I didn't read the entire document so I may have missed something, but skimming through it I didn't find any support for your "paraphrase"

It literally is. :shrug:

No it's not. Cops regularly give you about 5 over the limit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Wait, what people are saying that pumpkins aren't fruit?

No one thinks of them that way in a culinary sense, is what he’s getting at.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's their discretion. Technically there's nothing stopping them from pulling you over at 1 mph over the speed limit; that might get tossed due to reasonable uncertainty but if you get ticketed doing 3 over then there's probably not much you can do.

The fact that speed limits are set in such a way that cops have discretion to pull over almost anyone any time they want to boost ticket revenue or just don't like the look of someone is considered a feature rather than a bug, and historically is a bigger factor in the way they're set than safety concerns.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh yeah? Then why do I bake them in a pie with spices?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

If you think "what cops regularly let some people get away with" is the same as "what is legal" OR "what is safe" idk how you live tbh

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Arrath posted:

"Big Iron on his hip" is "that song that played far far too often in F:NV"

Don't @ me.

You're incorrect, because the song that played too much in F: NV was Johnny Guitar.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Oh yeah? Then why do I bake them in a pie with spices?

I bake chicken into pies with spices sometimes and that doesn't make chicken a fruit OR DOES IT

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know of culinary vs botanical, but I've never heard that applied to pumpkins before.

docbeard posted:

I bake chicken into pies with spices sometimes and that doesn't make chicken a fruit OR DOES IT

Chickens are not fruit but fish are basically apples.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

InediblePenguin posted:

If you think "what cops regularly let some people get away with" is the same as "what is legal" OR "what is safe" idk how you live tbh

Cops can theoretically pull you over for anything; that's true and ACAB. But depending on road conditions, if you don't want to be trampled on your average American highway or interstate, you drive 5-6 above the limit. If you think you're about to hit a speed trap or conditions don't warrant that, drive the limit or a little below it. Common sense FTW.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jan 29, 2024

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
When driving in my home state of Minnesota, I drive about 5 to 10 over the limit on freeways, and I'm usually far from the fastest car. It's the flow of traffic.

When visiting my GFs parents in Green Bay, you better believe I'm going exactly the speed limit on the Wisconsin roads in the way there. They love to ticket out of state plates.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Dip Viscous posted:

Chickens are not fruit but fish are basically apples.

Pommes de mer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cops can theoretically pull you over for anything; that's true and ACAB. But depending on road conditions, if you don't want to be trampled on your average American highway or interstate, you drive 5-6 above the limit. If you think you're about to hit a speed trap or conditions don't warrant that, drive the limit or a little below it. Common sense FTW.

So you acknowledge that it is, in fact, illegal to exceed the speed limit.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My last customer of the night misgendered me, which happens a couple of times a week and is no big deal, I know I look like It's Pat or whatever, so as always i used the cheerful customer service voice to say "I'm a man, actually, but thank you!" and the fucker argued with me about it. After she denied me three times and refused to just move on with the transaction i told her if she was going to be weird about this then i could get her a different cashier, and that is indeed what she wanted. I cannot imagine being sufficiently invested in a complete stranger's gender that i would tell them "no you're not" but then i do have some level of manners and human decency

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jan 30, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

If you think you're about to hit a speed trap or conditions don't warrant that, drive the limit or a little below it. Common sense FTW.

No! This causes people to brake very suddenly when they're in "speed trap zone" for reasons that are mysterious to the rest of us. It causes very sudden and strange congestions. Unfortunately, I realize ACAB and they can pull you over for anything, but that's just the gamble you take when you drive. Keep it at least 5 mph above or take a bus. The maybe one or two tickets you arbitrarily will get from this in your entire life is worth it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ok it's time to but a brake to all this speed limit talk :thanks:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

InediblePenguin posted:

My last customer of the night misgendered me, which happens a couple of times a week and is no big deal, I know I look like It's Pat or whatever, so as always i used the cheerful customer service voice to say "I'm a man, actually, but thank you!" and the fucker argued with me about it. After she denied me three times and refused to just move on with the transaction i told her if she was going to be weird about this then i could get her a different cashier, and that is indeed what she wanted. I cannot imagine being sufficiently invested in a complete stranger's gender that i would tell them "no you're not" but then i do have some level of manners and human decency

When I was Christmas shopping last year, I sat down on a bench to wait for the person I was with, and an old man politely asked if he could join me. Of course I said yes, and we exchanged a few pleasantries.
After a couple minutes of silence, he leaned over to me and whispered "It's so hard when you can't tell if they're a boy or a girl."
I was taken aback for a moment, then asked "Why do you need to?"
He said "I don't know, it's fun to guess."
I got up and left, because I literally did not know what else to say, especially considering anything I could say would have no effect on a bigoted mind like that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

InediblePenguin posted:

Oh Jesus that is horrible. I'm not sure I could resist the urge to punch them.

I can't imagine going through life being THAT big of a piece of poo poo. I'm still a piece of poo poo in other ways, don't get me wrong, but at least I don't do that!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edit no more speed chat

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The Mighty Moltres posted:

When I was Christmas shopping last year, I sat down on a bench to wait for the person I was with, and an old man politely asked if he could join me. Of course I said yes, and we exchanged a few pleasantries.
After a couple minutes of silence, he leaned over to me and whispered "It's so hard when you can't tell if they're a boy or a girl."
I got up and left, because I literally did not know what else to say, especially considering anything I could say would have no effect on a bigoted mind like that.

I had similar and also very weird conversation with a real old guy on the bus once. We made small talk about the stuff he bought at the grocery store and then he pulled out a newspaper and showed me an article about a sex convention happening in town to ask me what I thought about it. I said it wasn't my thing but I think it's healthier to be open minded about that kind of thing rather than to repress it. He nodded quietly, pulled out a foreign coin (in one of those coin collecting sleeves) for my troubles, and forgot all his groceries when he got off the bus.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I have to use specific formats in a lot of work emails which includes using gendered pronouns and I've definitely said something like it's hard when you can't tell if their male or female. But it's not fun to guess, it pisses me off to no end. It's not that hard to put your pronouns in your sig but it's a pretty conservative industry full of old fucks, so our new intern is the only person I've talked to in like a week who does it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Every website trying to be everything.

YouTube: i want videos. Not podcasts. Not streams. Not "shorts".
Instagram: just pictures please. No videos or "threads".
Twitter: text. And not too much of it. Not a loving essay.

Stay in your loving lane. Let us have specific places to find particular types of content.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Stay in your loving lane. Let us have specific places to find particular types of content.

YouTube "shorts" are the videos that are frequently just as long as normal videos but are bound to an awful aspect ratio and take away the scrub bar. Fantastic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tiggum posted:

Agreed. And you can't permanently get rid of Shorts (unless there's an add-on for Firefox or Chrome I haven't seen) because Youtube only hides it for 30 days. Obnoxious trend chasing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

youtube shorts at least do still function the same as any other video if you throw the slug into the normal video url format.

/e: a "slug" in this context is the bit of the url that looks like this: dQw4w9WgXcQ

stringless has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Feb 1, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

youtube shorts at least do still function the same as any other video if you throw the slug into the normal video url format.

/e: a "slug" in this context is the bit of the url that looks like this: dQw4w9WgXcQ

Right, it's just a worse version of the same thing in every way!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I got a steel stockpot and there's a tag on it imploring me to use the QR code and register my product online. It's a goddamn pot. You don't get my email.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nameless Pete posted:

I got a steel stockpot and there's a tag on it imploring me to use the QR code and register my product online. It's a goddamn pot. You don't get my email.

but what if you need tech support

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Only realizing there's a rough spot on your toenail after you get into bed. Get up and file it? Deal with it snagging the sheets until you fall asleep? It's gotta be one of the two, there's no third path.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Only realizing there's a rough spot on your toenail after you get into bed. Get up and file it? Deal with it snagging the sheets until you fall asleep? It's gotta be one of the two, there's no third path.

What, you don't have teeth?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Just sleep with your shoes on, like the statesians.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Those 'Prove you're not a robot by selecting all the stairs' things. Pointless busywork that's probably being used to train some stupid """A.I""" toy, and it doesn't conclusively prove that I'm not a robot (:awesomelon:).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Those 'Prove you're not a robot by selecting all the stairs' things. Pointless busywork that's probably being used to train some stupid """A.I""" toy, and it doesn't conclusively prove that I'm not a robot (:awesomelon:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Nameless Pete posted:

I still haven't figured out how to scan QR codes. Everyone says "just point the camera at it" but across three phones that does nothing. I could look up how to do it but that's cheating.