Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CBJSprague24 posted:

"No admittance without 3 X minimum beyond this point"'

I'd be surprised if anyone working at the white house wasn't mainlining 30mg Adderall XR, regardless of party. Your job as the staff pharmacist is to keep the wheels from coming off, regardless of the heart problems in later life.

Its like the military's special. Got a cold/flu? Too Bad! Here is 1600mg of Ibuprofen/8hr, 1200mg Guaifenesin/12hr, 60mg Dextromethorphan/6hr, and 120mg pseudoephedrine/12 hr! You'll be fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd be surprised if anyone working at the white house wasn't mainlining 30mg Adderall XR, regardless of party. Your job as the staff pharmacist is to keep the wheels from coming off, regardless of the heart problems in later life.

Its like the military's special. Got a cold/flu? Too Bad! Here is 1600mg of Ibuprofen/8hr, 1200mg Guaifenesin/12hr, 60mg Dextromethorphan/6hr, and 120mg pseudoephedrine/12 hr! You'll be fine!

"Don't forget to drink water!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How does that do against cold/flu, incidentally?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Leave posted:

It numbs the pain ideally. Now isn't that an evergreen sentence

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ibuprofen does wonders for flu, broken bones, scrambled brains etc. and we all know this.

But I’m not sure what the rest of that stuff is.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 30, 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

wow. all they ever gave me was 800mg motrin horse pills

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

golden bubble posted:

Silicon valley is an amazing show, and extremely accurate the excesses of peak VC tech startups. There were several times they had to tone things down compared to reality because the actual amounts of money being slung around without a care were too unbelievable for TV. If you want to see what VC tech startups look like in 2014-19 to a person who hasn't drunk the koolaid, you have to watch Silicon Valley.

Oh yeah it’s a delight, I remember it had a Spinal Tap like reception where the creators were contacted by real folk in the industry and asked how they knew about a specific ridiculous incident that was lampooned, and the creators hadn’t even known about a real event & were just making a joke.

One of my favorite little jokes is Big Head lucking into a fortune & buying a Bay Area house with a pool then having the pool moved slightly, then moved back as he was wrong about how he thought it would look better.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Leave posted:

Papers over the symptoms while waiting on the underlying problem to take care of itself.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Ibuprofen does wonders for flu, broken bones, scrambled brains etc. and we all know this.

But I’m not sure what the rest of that stuff is.

A collection of drugs that would’ve been too unbelievable for even Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

wow. all they ever gave me was 800mg motrin horse pills

1600mg of motrin/12 hours is just trying to kill your kidneys.

DXM, Mucinex and real sudafed is probably the best you can do for a cold? If you're really clogged up afrin works wonders for me but as a reminder they are not kidding about the 3 day limit thing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was saving the pain pills from getting my wisdom teeth out for the Crucible :dukedog:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is going to sound weird but I swear to god I thought I read Pelosi died, a couple months ago in this very thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is going to sound weird but I swear to god I thought I read Pelosi died, a couple months ago in this very thread.

Sadly false.

That was probably Feinstein, Pelosi is a spring chicken in comparison fwiw. Still in their early 80's iirc so prime age for government leadership.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

M_Gargantua posted:

Before ruining your kidneys/liver, that amount of nsaid is going to send you straight to ulcer city in a single day, jesus christ.

For anyone curious...Guaifenesin (Mucinex) thins muscus secretions, and according to a medically trained relative of mine, it's impossible to OD. Dextromethorphan (DX in Mucinex DX) is a cough suppressant, and any Sudafed that isn't behind the counter is effectively a sugar pill. Interestingly I've heard some docs recommending Flonase for sinus congestion caused by covid (which should work pretty well for colds too) as it's a very localized steroid and like 80% of congestion is inflammation. And unlike Afrin, you can use it for several weeks without rebound.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Nobody said that was healthy, just very effective at making you work through fever and flu.

The only person I know who maintained that level of Motrin for more than a few days was doing it for migraines before after about three weeks they sent him to squadron to do paperwork instead.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

hobbesmaster posted:

1600mg of motrin/12 hours is just trying to kill your kidneys.

DXM, Mucinex and real sudafed is probably the best you can do for a cold? If you're really clogged up afrin works wonders for me but as a reminder they are not kidding about the 3 day limit thing.

i was coughing directly in my docs face with an obvious cold and poo poo in my lungs and was given motrin with no option for anything else. navy medicine is the best!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pro move is to alternate between doses of acetaminophen and one of ibuprofen/naproxen/aspirin.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Space Opera posted:

Before ruining your kidneys/liver, that amount of nsaid is going to send you straight to ulcer city in a single day, jesus christ.

For anyone curious...Guaifenesin (Mucinex) thins muscus secretions, and according to a medically trained relative of mine, it's impossible to OD. Dextromethorphan (DX in Mucinex DX) is a cough suppressant, and any Sudafed that isn't behind the counter is effectively a sugar pill. Interestingly I've heard some docs recommending Flonase for sinus congestion caused by covid (which should work pretty well for colds too) as it's a very localized steroid and like 80% of congestion is inflammation. And unlike Afrin, you can use it for several weeks without rebound.

Flonase never had any observable benefit for me. It's been about as effective as not sudafed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Works posted:

Sadly false.

That was probably Feinstein, Pelosi is a spring chicken in comparison fwiw. Still in their early 80's iirc so prime age for government leadership.

Nancy Pelosi’s date of birth is closer to the caning of Charles Sumner than to the present day.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Platystemon posted:

The pro move is to alternate between doses of acetaminophen and one of ibuprofen/naproxen/aspirin.

No, the pro move is 800mg ibuprofen and 1000mg acetaminophen every 6 hours to max the "safe" 24h dosing guidelines. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are metabolized completely differently and are sold in a combo formulation. "Light" infantry medic approved.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

That Works posted:

Sadly false.

Oh yeah, it was Feinstein. Whew, that explains it.
I got confused by the existence of multiple ghoulish cryptkeepers at the highest levels of politics and mixed them up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Icon Of Sin posted:

A collection of drugs that would’ve been too unbelievable for even Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

gimme the parody fear and loathing where they just do a shitton of guaifenesin and simeticone

a now defunct canadian research chemical supplier had a weird habit of just throwing up various common OTC pharmaceuticals or even scheduled poo poo alongside the stuff (2C-series phenethylamines, typtamines, and LSD analogs) they were actually selling as some sort of weird screen technique. archives don't have it, but https://web.archive.org/web/20111221020617/http://www.avanztec.com/products/ legit had simeticone listed at some point, cause why not

Space Opera posted:

For anyone curious...Guaifenesin (Mucinex) thins muscus secretions, and according to a medically trained relative of mine, it's impossible to OD. Dextromethorphan (DX in Mucinex DX) is a cough suppressant

guaifenesin is (maybe, we don't really know) a weird drug where it doesn't actually bind to receptors and instead just pisses some parts of your body off in a way that makes them mucus better https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00874#mechanism-of-action

that "maybe has some interaction with NMDA receptors? idk" paper is interesting but there's only like one other on pubmed so w/e way too out in the weeds of novel research

dextromethorphan, comparatively, very much does interact with NMDA receptors and, while IME rather useless for cough suppression (it's a weird not-opioid we started using after shying away from codeine for coughs), is pretty drat good for fear and loathing purposes if you take a large amount of it, hence why you can buy "extra strong" cough medicine that is absolutely not used for its listed purpose

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Flonase never had any observable benefit for me. It's been about as effective as not sudafed.

I remember at one point the doctor going about some medication to me "It's really good, it has 90% effectiveness rate in studies"... which is a very large portion of people it doesn't do anything for, and makes me wonder about stuff that's less good.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Eason the Fifth posted:

Smartest thing I ever did in recruit training was saving the pain pills from getting my wisdom teeth out for the Crucible :dukedog:

They really shouldn't give those out for wisdom teeth. For someone who's never done opiates it's the first "chasing the dragon" experience.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They really shouldn't give those out for wisdom teeth. For someone who's never done opiates it's the first "chasing the dragon" experience.

As I understand it, short-term supervised use of opiates for acute pain is not associated with long-term addiction. Undertreating pain causes its own set of stresses on people, and medically appropriate doses of opiates have fewer risks of serious side effects than NSAIDs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For a lot of people, it would be easier to get heroin* on the street than it would be to get a doc to prescribe opiates for their acute pain.

*Actually fentanyl

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

For a lot of people, it would be easier to get heroin* on the street than it would be to get a doc to prescribe opiates for their acute pain.

*Actually fentanyl

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying getting someone who's been otherwise straightedge to be high off their rear end in bootcamp is not a good idea; they're going to remember it.

The reason you can't get a doc to prescribe opiates now, is because they caused an abuse epidemic by hanging them out like candy in the past two decades.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

That's not what I'm saying, I'm saying getting someone who's been otherwise straightedge to be high off their rear end in bootcamp is not a good idea; they're going to remember it.

The reason you can't get a doc to prescribe opiates now, is because they caused an abuse epidemic by hanging them out like candy in the past two decades.

Treating chronic pain with opiates is problematic, there are serious decisions doctors have to make about more effective drugs that have more abuse and addiction potential (opiates) vs less effective drugs that significantly increase the risk of serious physical conditions (NSAIDs) vs undertreating the pain in a way that reduces quality of life for the patient. Doctors erred on the side of the first option for a long time, and it helped drive the abuse epidemic. But the evidence generally suggests short-term use for acute pain was not a major contributing factor.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 30, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zero VGS posted:

It's fine they dont give you that much. I had mine yanked out 20 years before going to boot so I was nursing all the guys who got theirs ripped out. Nobody was trading or giving away what few pills they had and nobody got extra from medical. Really not that big of deal.

Also the one i time I actually needed them from hemorrhoid surgery they hosed up my script and I didnt get any and once they realized the mistake two days later they just laughed and said "no".
Navy medical. Not even once.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Sherlock Holmes is my Disney role model and a big fan of opiates and hater of women so

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Crab Dad posted:

It's fine they dont give you that much. I had mine yanked out 20 years before going to boot so I was nursing all the guys who got theirs ripped out. Nobody was trading or giving away what few pills they had and nobody got extra from medical. Really not that big of deal.

We literally just had someone say they pocketed some to abuse later :cmon:

I mean good for them but I think the Navy should just give out Vitamin M like they do for everything else.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah it’s a delight, I remember it had a Spinal Tap like reception where the creators were contacted by real folk in the industry and asked how they knew about a specific ridiculous incident that was lampooned, and the creators hadn’t even known about a real event & were just making a joke.

One of my favorite little jokes is Big Head lucking into a fortune & buying a Bay Area house with a pool then having the pool moved slightly, then moved back as he was wrong about how he thought it would look better.

You can move pools? I mean I guess you can move anything with enough money but god drat that's gotta be pricy and a pain

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

gimme the parody fear and loathing where they just do a shitton of guaifenesin and simeticone

a now defunct canadian research chemical supplier had a weird habit of just throwing up various common OTC pharmaceuticals or even scheduled poo poo alongside the stuff (2C-series phenethylamines, typtamines, and LSD analogs) they were actually selling as some sort of weird screen technique. archives don't have it, but https://web.archive.org/web/20111221020617/http://www.avanztec.com/products/ legit had simeticone listed at some point, cause why not

guaifenesin is (maybe, we don't really know) a weird drug where it doesn't actually bind to receptors and instead just pisses some parts of your body off in a way that makes them mucus better https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00874#mechanism-of-action

that "maybe has some interaction with NMDA receptors? idk" paper is interesting but there's only like one other on pubmed so w/e way too out in the weeds of novel research

dextromethorphan, comparatively, very much does interact with NMDA receptors and, while IME rather useless for cough suppression (it's a weird not-opioid we started using after shying away from codeine for coughs), is pretty drat good for fear and loathing purposes if you take a large amount of it, hence why you can buy "extra strong" cough medicine that is absolutely not used for its listed purpose

I'm super surprised DXM manufacturers haven't "harm reductioned" the formula by adding a bunch of acetimenophen to kill high schoolers and 20 somethings prevent abuse

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Treating chronic pain with opiates is problematic, there are serious decisions doctors have to make about more effective drugs that have more abuse and addiction potential (opiates) vs less effective drugs that significantly increase the risk of serious physical conditions (NSAIDs) vs undertreating the pain in a way that reduces quality of life for the patient. Doctors erred on the side of the first option for a long time, and it helped drive the abuse epidemic. But the evidence generally suggests short-term use for acute pain was not a major contributing factor.

purdue pushing the hell out of the things and dismissing any sign of addiction as "actually, they just need more drugs!" didn't really help either. it's rather disappointing to go through the medical system and realize the degree to which doctors very much aren't pharmacologists and are like most white collar professionals in that they'll take sources that should credible at face value. this isn't exactly their fault--you should be able to take more specialized authorities in your broader field at their word--but there are far too many incentives in our society to lie out your rear end until it catches up with you

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm super surprised DXM manufacturers haven't "harm reductioned" the formula by adding a bunch of acetimenophen to kill high schoolers and 20 somethings prevent abuse

recreational drug usage patterns aren't the best-studied things outside the big public health concerns of nicotine, alcohol, opioids, and dopaminergic stimulants. DXM has unpleasant side effects of its own and chronic NMDA antagonist use has historically been uncommon enough to fly under the radar, at least in the US. if you are in that population, there are options that are fairly available and less pharmacologically dirty (and thus usually less unpleasant) than DXM, especially nowadays with the expansion of white market ketamine prescribing. AFAIK recreational DXM use flies well enough under the radar that authorities are only barely aware of it, and it doesn't result in negative events nearly often enough to tighten its scheduling (idk of the legal specifics, but i think opioids requiring a script is why the APAP formulations are even an option--nothing really stops you from selling a high potency formulation of an OTC drug)

comparatively, we're so drat afraid of opioid abuse that the FDA has at least managed to strongarm producers into making most loperamide packaging the most infuriating single-pill blister packs imaginable, to... idk, limit the number of doses someone desperate enough to consume a large quantity of that yet somehow unaware of the existence of knives or scissors. more cynically, the explanation is that it's entirely pointless, some idiot bureaucrat had an idea and ran it to completion to demonstrate their creativity and effectiveness come promotion consideration time

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 30, 2024

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i knew a guy in college who ordered a kilogram of pharmaceutical grade, powder-form DXM from a chemical supply company and proceeded to, uh, use it all in the course of a year. At one point he disappeared for two weeks and we thought he was dead, but then he turned up at brunch one day and said he thought he'd taken a greyhound to berkley and back based on the tickets he found in his backpack, but couldn't actually remember any of it. Once he went through that claimed it cured his schizophrenia. Quit doing drugs, went straightedge and became an aerospace engineer.

Come to think of it, he might be working at Boeing now :laffo:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kesper North posted:

i knew a guy in college who ordered a kilogram of pharmaceutical grade, powder-form DXM from a chemical supply company and proceeded to, uh, use it all in the course of a year. At one point he disappeared for two weeks and we thought he was dead, but then he turned up at brunch one day and said he thought he'd taken a greyhound to berkley and back based on the tickets he found in his backpack, but couldn't actually remember any of it. Once he went through that claimed it cured his schizophrenia. Quit doing drugs, went straightedge and became an aerospace engineer.

Do dxm, become an engineer. God I'm glad I quit doing that poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah you'll be shocked to hear he changed his major from... chemistry

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Engineering, not even once.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ded posted:

i was coughing directly in my docs face with an obvious cold and poo poo in my lungs and was given motrin with no option for anything else. navy medicine is the best!

My first doc would laugh at you and tell you to get the gently caress back to work if you were sick, last doc would say "I only get the good poo poo" and give you enough pseudoephedrine to start a meth lab in nucleonics. Docs are a land of contrasts.

Kesper North posted:

I got a call at 3AM one time, friend of mine was sobbing so hard he could barely speak, telling me his GF was dead, begging me to pick him up from downtown.

I could clearly hear his girlfriend screaming "I'M FINE!" in the background, so it was pretty funny. Put me off ever using DXM for off-label reasons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zero VGS posted:

We literally just had someone say they pocketed some to abuse later :cmon:

I mean good for them but I think the Navy should just give out Vitamin M like they do for everything else.

I’m rereading my post and I’m not sure how you got that the navy was super chill about handing out drugs willy-nilly.
One outlier case a dude saying he palmed some pills for himself later is some real pearl clutching.