Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grimnarsson posted:

They sent Germany raw materials in the hope that then Germany couldn't afford to cut off that supply. They gave tours around weapons factories to German military attaches to dissuade them from attacking but instead convinced the Germans that they should attack sooner. Stalin and the USSR did everything they could to make it less likely that Germany would attack them.

No, the Soviets were willing collaborators with the Germans because it suited their own imperialistic interests (such as the partition of poland, occupying the baltic states and a part of Romania, asking the Germans for help to fabricate evidence against their own, and so on). The Soviets gave stuff to the Germans because the Germans agreed to give the Soviets stuff in return, and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

012924_4
Jan 30, 2024

babby wants another middle east war

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Top G posted:

Fascinating article but a small note - They haven’t used cadaver hgh in almost 40 years since it was linked to CJD

It's mentioned in the post you quoted

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Raenir Salazar posted:

No, the Soviets were willing collaborators with the Germans because it suited their own imperialistic interests (such as the partition of poland, occupying the baltic states and a part of Romania, asking the Germans for help to fabricate evidence against their own, and so on). The Soviets gave stuff to the Germans because the Germans agreed to give the Soviets stuff in return, and then some.

No. The Soviets knew full well that Hitler believed that Germany's future lay in conquering the food producing regions of the USSR. Only after it became evident that Britain and France were not interested in an alliance against Germany (for understandable and practible reasons it can be argued) did the USSR seek the next best thing ie a non-aggression pact with Germany.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I guess the Soviet Union was just drafting agreements to join the Axis in 1940 to show how much they hated the nazis

edit: or maybe they were planning to join the Axis and secretly sabotage them from within? It could be anything really.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Grimnarsson posted:

No. The Soviets knew full well that Hitler believed that Germany's future lay in conquering the food producing regions of the USSR. Only after it became evident that Britain and France were not interested in an alliance against Germany (for understandable and practible reasons it can be argued) did the USSR seek the next best thing ie a non-aggression pact with Germany.

How does the Soviets invading Poland factor into this narrative?

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

rkd_ posted:

Even if everything that happened was due to sheer incompetence, Israel is not hiding that they're capitalizing on this opportunity to commit genocide and to expand their controlled territory, including the settlements I referred to.

https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751658912175010010?s=20
https://x.com/OrenZiv_/status/1751684917321257153?s=20

As someone who doesn't put anything past the current Israeli government, making an 'evidence requiring' claim like 'Israel deliberately let Oct 7 happen so they could take more Gaza territory', and as soon as it's challenged (not even with facts but just with an emoji) being like 'well, uh, still, they definitely wanted to take more of Gaza! Can't deny that!' is really goddamned obnoxious. Not because you're being unfair to Netanyahu or whatever, just because it's rhetorically childish.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grimnarsson posted:

What do you mean "no"? Please engage with the points I made about the ways the Soviets voluntarily gave the Germans their full cooperation, and themselves benefited significantly from the Germans that goes well beyond a mere "non-aggression pact" to a de facto alliance of mutual interest and cooperation. Remember (as James Garfield mentions) that the Germans even went so far as to offer the Soviets entry into the Axis and only didn't pursue it when the Soviets insisted on the Balkans being their sphere of influence. It is highly inaccurate to claim that the M-R Pact was merely about placating the Germans and trying to avoid invasion, and additionally the Soviets had been negotiating with the Germans during the negotiations with the British and French. Also, the Soviets line of negotiation with the British and French can hardly be described as "we wanted to contain Germany by they refused!" The Soviets wanted concessions that would've given them a free hand in the Baltic States, Finland, which the British balked at.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Shoring up defences against Germany. Same with invading Finland, taking over the Baltics. Don't get me wrong, Poland was under no obligation to indulge Soviet security concerns by agreeing to an alliance between Britain, France and the USSR. The diplomatic environment of the late 1930s was a huge mess and was not a black and white issue.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Y'all couldn't avoid the bait huh?

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Flying-PCP posted:

As someone who doesn't put anything past the current Israeli government, making an 'evidence requiring' claim like 'Israel deliberately let Oct 7 happen so they could take more Gaza territory', and as soon as it's challenged (not even with facts but just with an emoji) being like 'well, uh, still, they definitely wanted to take more of Gaza! Can't deny that!' is really goddamned obnoxious. Not because you're being unfair to Netanyahu or whatever, just because it's rhetorically childish.

I just said I found it highly improbably that the government, through incompetence, ignored so many warning signs to the point of ignoring even training drills, especially since these events gave certain members of the government the perfect opportunity to do what they have been wanting to do: genocide and displacement of the Palestinian people.

A user called me out for being crazy and stated that it really was just incompetence. I then responded to that saying that, even if it was incompetence, those members of the government still used the results of that incompetence to push the ideals they had before October 7. That is not saying "still, they definitely wanted to take more of Gaza", it's saying that, after everything that happened and knowing what we do now, those members are still capitalizing on the situation to push their settlement plans. It's not just any member either, it's the Minister of National Security, among others. This event where they push for further settlements happened today.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crain posted:

The current rules are to assume good faith.

Grimnarsson posted:

Shoring up defences against Germany. Same with invading Finland, taking over the Baltics. Don't get me wrong, Poland was under no obligation to indulge Soviet security concerns by agreeing to an alliance between Britain, France and the USSR. The diplomatic environment of the late 1930s was a huge mess and was not a black and white issue.

So you think the Soviet Union was justified in invading other nations to satisfy their security concerns?

You don’t think there were other historical reasons they would want invade to Finland, Poland and the Baltics?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The current rules are to assume good faith.

And it is and always has been a stupid loving rule enacted by a wannabe charter school debate team chaperone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rkd_ posted:

I just said I found it highly improbably that the government, through incompetence, ignored so many warning signs to the point of ignoring even training drills, especially since these events gave certain members of the government the perfect opportunity to do what they have been wanting to do: genocide and displacement of the Palestinian people.

A user called me out for being crazy and stated that it really was just incompetence. I then responded to that saying that, even if it was incompetence, those members of the government still used the results of that incompetence to push the ideals they had before October 7. That is not saying "still, they definitely wanted to take more of Gaza", it's saying that, after everything that happened and knowing what we do now, those members are still capitalizing on the situation to push their settlement plans. It's not just any member either, it's the Minister of National Security, among others. This event where they push for further settlements happened today.

Oh, it was definitely incompetence. They thought that the Hamas plans were overambitious wishful thinking that would certainly fail against the mighty Israeli military. It's not an uncommon pitfall for colonial occupations to fall into - it's quite easy for a highly-equipped modern military to underestimate the abilities of an insurgent force.

Ben-Gvir spewing hate against the Palestinians isn't new or unusual, but all it really indicates is that the Israeli populace is racist enough to vote for literal Kahanists, and that Netanyahu is desperate enough that he needs their support to hold onto power. But Ben-Gvir isn't calling any shots anywhere near Gaza, as Netanyahu has intentionally sidelined him on that issue.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

It's mentioned in the post you quoted

This an A and B conversation, so C your way out before D and E come and knock you the F out. :thanks:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The HGH that was injected into the patients that caused the Alzheimer's was harvested from a corpse and most HGH used today is synthetic - so you can keep pumping yourself with HGH without fear of getting Alzheimer's.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crain posted:

Current moderation policy is that we must assume good faith by others and can be probated for not responding to a counterclaim, even if it's in bad faith.

e:f;b

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So you think the Soviet Union was justified in invading other nations to satisfy their security concerns?

You don’t think there were other historical reasons they would want invade to Finland, Poland and the Baltics?

Defense against imperialism, simply. We've got to take finland to tame it, as we hypothesize they could attack at any time, but this creates the new security concern of sharing a border with sweden. Ah, but, more solutions come to mind for satisfying these security concerns, now that I'm putting my mind to it,...

[Many decades later] man what a loving mess we were forced to get into with Ukraine. No choice on that one. Still, no better defense against imperialism that we can think of, at least

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don't think they were justified in terms of being 'morally right'. I think they had geopolitical reasons for invading those countries. I don't think they had other historical reasons for invading Finland other than what they said they wanted, which amounts to security for Leningrad, having a capability for closing off the Gulf of Finland against Germany or Britain.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Top G posted:

This an A and B conversation, so C your way out before D and E come and knock you the F out. :thanks:

I can't tell if you're joking but yes you are proving my point lol. He mentioned that cadaver HGH isn't used anymore and instead it's synthetic and then you just said the same thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Grimnarsson posted:

I don't think they were justified in terms of being 'morally right'. I think they had geopolitical reasons for invading those countries. I don't think they had other historical reasons for invading Finland other than what they said they wanted, which amounts to security for Leningrad, having a capability for closing off the Gulf of Finland against Germany or Britain.

Why don’t you tell us about what happened Finland, Poland and the Baltics during the Russian revolution and aftermath of the first World War and subsequent Russian red / white civil war.

Does Soviet invasion of those countries seem to be purely for “geopolitical security” within the larger historical context?

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

just put people who post bait on your ignore list, if they probe you for not responding to someone on your ignore list it'll probably cause the rules to get changed

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Why don’t you tell us about what happened Finland, Poland and the Baltics during the Russian revolution and aftermath of the first World War and subsequent Russian red / white civil war.

Does Soviet invasion of those countries seem to be purely for “geopolitical security” within the larger historical context?

Well Finland did invade the nascent Soviet Russia, got the Petsamo region in the Peace of Tartu and harbored irredentist desires over Russian territory, but by the late 1930s increasingly less so, I would say. The Baltics, (ruled by their German aristocracy until 1917ish) like Finland were very much autonomous under the Russian Empire.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Grimnarsson posted:

The Baltics, (ruled by their German aristocracy until 1917ish) like Finland were very much autonomous under the Russian Empire.

Now you’re getting at it, these were all holdings of the Imperialist Russian Empire.

You’ve also argued that the Soviets were invading the countries for their own security interests against Germany. This is a state occupying by force previously lost imperial holdings for its own interest.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Now you’re getting at it, these were all holdings of the Imperialist Russian Empire.

You’ve also argued that the Soviets were invading the countries for their own security interests against Germany. This is a state occupying by force previously lost imperial holdings for its own interest.

Yes? That's clearly what happened.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
There was a lot of complexity in European politics at the time, but the Soviet actions of the time can still be boiled down to revanchism. Stalin wanted to have security arrangements with at least some other great powers, but taking another grab for land the empire had lost in the revolution was non-negotiable, and everyone at the time was aware. That is the only real reason why he allied with the "lol race you to Poland" guy instead of the "How about we leave the borders where they are" guys. And even in the context of that he totally dropped the ball in his actual belief in and preparedness for Germany's inevitable betrayal.

The Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union wasn't directly the fault of Stalin or any of his people. It wasn't an inside job, it wasn't a sudden event recognizable only in hindsight, and it in the end happened because Hitler wanted to follow up his successful conquest of Poland and France by wiping out Russia too. At the same time the size and resources of the invading army, and even the success of Hitler's previous consquests, were a shining monument to Stalin's own greed and arrogance.

And yet, as pointed out in these other cases, he still came out on top, not only winning the war by switching alliances, but by taking eastern Europe right through half of Germany as a prize, with the price just being millions of the little pieces on his board. The fact that he turned his darkest hours around into doing what he'd wanted to do in the first place is also not evidence of Barbarossa being an inside job.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/codepink/status/1752008235429572957

Sorry, it was from in October so not something extremely recent. Appears to be resurfacing because of her FBI remarks.
It's resurfacing because somebody thinks deliberately refloating it will cause disruption and strife for Pelosi and the Democrats.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Punchbowl has a source for what the DOJ subpoena of the House records is over.

No details on which member of congress it is supposed to be targeting.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1752088554186957266

Also, the child tax credit expansion/business tax credit extension bill is officially getting a floor vote.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1752113848306356418

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you don't invade Poland most Hitlers will interpret that as aggression. You have to slowly invade Poland with reassuring body langauge until the Hitler is calm enough to send tanks across your border.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

The Artificial Kid posted:

It's resurfacing because somebody thinks deliberately refloating it will cause disruption and strife for Pelosi and the Democrats.

Pelosi herself is causing disruption and strife when she suggested using the FBI to investigate protest organizers based on zero evidence

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theCalamity posted:

Pelosi herself is causing disruption and strife when she suggested using the FBI to investigate protest organizers based on zero evidence

Is that an excuse for posting something from months ago pretending it just happened?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

socialsecurity posted:

Is that an excuse for posting something from months ago pretending it just happened?

"Look, further evidence that Pelosi believes the only possible reason you can be against US foreign policy is because you are paid by a foreign actor shouldn't be used because its 4 months old" is a unique idea.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

"Look, further evidence that Pelosi believes the only possible reason you can be against US foreign policy is because you are paid by a foreign actor shouldn't be used because its 4 months old" is a unique idea.

That's not what I said, I'm against the idea of posting things from months ago and pretending it just happened, this shouldn't be a controversial take.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

That's not what I said, I'm against the idea of posting things from months ago and pretending it just happened, this shouldn't be a controversial take.

I don't think the poster was pretending it just happened, so much as they saw the tweet's claim it just happened and believed it. It's been cleared up that she said it in October, and personally I feel like it's still quite relevant to discuss, considering her current statements.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

socialsecurity posted:

Sure, but once the time line is cleared up it still establishes a pattern of behaviour that, shockingly, proves the utility in it being posted.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

can we stick a camera up a protest's butt to see where its sourced from

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Josef bugman posted:

Sure, but once the time line is cleared up it still establishes a pattern of behaviour that, shockingly, proves the utility in it being posted.

Would that pattern happen to be "calling out a protest organized by a group whose foreign funding is both well-demonstrated and which caused significant change in their directions of activism?" Since that's what it was that time.

And if you want to say that you don't really care if they're a Chinese-backed group that moved toward mostly doing things in Chinese interests, that's fine. It just seems that every time something like that happens we have to go through this whole version of the Narcissist's Prayer from step one where it's absurd to suggest a message has foreign sources, and even if it's plausible there's no evidence, and even if there is it's honest and meant to effect positive change, and even if it isn't it didn't have much effect, and even if it did so what you CIA lover.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

For one, I assume Israel has some sort of legal framework which prevents or otherwise ostensibly restricts the government from infringing on the rights of citizens regarding expression and association, regardless of how distasteful it may be; which I doubt the ICJ has the authority to override a countries constitutional framework regarding. If the ICJ made a similar judgment against the US, given how strongly the US protects the 1A, it would be impossible for the US to enforce such a ruling against its own citizens.

A strange assumption, I wonder how you formed it. They certainly have the power to punish other forms of speech, no surprise what form of speech is found distasteful there and punished though.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...out-gaza-deaths

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Code Pink is a poo poo organisation and Pelosi was loving right in that case.

The only "point" made is that she has a pattern of identifying lovely faux-progressive organisations that believe in nothing but making chaos under the orders of foreign governments.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

Code Pink is a poo poo organisation and Pelosi was loving right in that case.

The only "point" made is that she has a pattern of identifying lovely faux-progressive organisations that believe in nothing but making chaos under the orders of foreign governments.

Which other organizations are you referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Which other organizations are you referring to

Not sure what they're referring to, but

The Uhuru movement was recently indicted
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-citizens-and-russian-intelligence-officers-charged-conspiring-use-us-citizens-illegal

And there was that weird fringe communist group that kept pledging allegiance to Putin or whatever during the start of the Ukraine war. I cannot remember their name and Google is more than useless nowadays without the correct keywords.