Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
This isn't the 1800's. A Nation's merchant marine doesn't actually fly their national flag, they fly the flag of some super lax and unregulated country like Liberia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s also not crewed by people of that nation, and the people who own the boat are insured.

So yeah not really seeing the purpose.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

It’s also not crewed by people of that nation, and the people who own the boat are insured.

So yeah not really seeing the purpose.

Look up traffic to Eilat.

It's having a very distinct effect on Israel's economy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Were any of the boats attacked headed to Israel?

Because so far it’s having an impact on traffic comparable to the Ever Given incident, its not so much people avoiding Eilat as they’re avoiding the entire area.

I’d be curious to see if there’s been a corresponding increase in tonnage in Israeli ports on the Mediterranean coast. (This might take a week or so to register)

Edit: Ashdod and Haifa do about 10x the tonnage of Eilat, each in a normal year.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 30, 2024

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Were any of the boats attacked headed to Israel?

Because so far it’s having an impact on traffic comparable to the Ever Given incident, its not so much people avoiding Eilat as they’re avoiding the entire area.

I’d be curious to see if there’s been a corresponding increase in tonnage in Israeli ports on the Mediterranean coast. (This might take a week or so to register)

What does it matter that the entire area is affected? The priority is pressure to end the genocide, and it is undoubtedly applying pressure. The US could end it at any time and so could Israel.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/17/business/red-sea-shipping-attacks/index.html

This is what the insurers think about the situation. They believe there is pretty significant selectivity.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Maybe enough treats won't get to the West and then we'll ask very nicely to stop the genocide.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Don’t worry I’m sure they’ll find someone worse when she croaks

<looks at the current prominent SF democrat field>

yeah, gently caress that noise

rep Breed or Jenkins in a safe for life seat would suck rear end. idk about Wiener or Haney, my vague impression of them from across the bay has been "idk, somewhat ineffectual"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edit - Nevermind

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 30, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

In my eyes attempting to stop a genocide or resist an imperial power is not equivalent with assisting or perpetrating a genocide, unless the means of doing so are so abhorrent that they are worse than the genocide.

Did I miss something, or are you seriously white knighting Russia as someone fighting against imperialism and genocide?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A trolley problem with 10k screaming Palestinian children vs a shipping container full of treats

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

psydude posted:

Did I miss something, or are you seriously white knighting Russia as someone fighting against imperialism and genocide?

Yes you missed something

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes you missed something

In re-reading the preceding posts, I'm not sure that I did.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

gently caress right off out of here.

Just amazing that “violence against the IDF might be justified to stop the slaughter of tens of thousands of innocents” is what provoked this thoughtful response given all the other atrocities to choose from. Good stuff dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey Smegma, the reason I told you to gently caress right off on out of here is I was about 99% certain that you were either a troll, an rear end in a top hat, or a loving moron.

Since you're taking posts from here to CSPAM for lulz - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3842990&pagenumber=2556&perpage=40#post537492329 - I feel pretty secure in telling you your bullshit isn't welcome here.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

In case anyone was in doubt, we don’t do cross forum drama.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Personally, I think the rest of you warmongers all need to take a loving seat and realize that the Houthi movement is the last stand of freedom fighters wiling to stand up and confront Israel with whatever meager means they have. If it weren't for the Partisans of Allah, who else would stand up to the perfidious alliance of Zionists and Crusaders as they seek to move their cargo through the Red Sea?

The treachery of the Zionist-Crusader alliance runs deep. A global cabal of neoconservatives, clearly the ones behind the actual 10/7 attack on plucky lil Israel, have been anticipating this very moment by planting libelous and disgusting stories about the rightly-guided Houthi movement. They've used their pawns in Human Rights Watch in fabricating the Houthi siege on Taiz and enlisted their running dogs in Amnesty International to spin fanciful tales of of torture and civilian displacement in areas under their control. Ignore these lies and instead cast your eyes to the sky, where you might be so fortunate as to catch a glimpse of a Houthi anti-ship missile, something they definitely developed on their own and certainly not because of the spurious, fictitious allegations that they're an Iranian cat's paw, as it streaks toward the Red Sea and the never-ending stream of Zionist cargo ships.

Or, y'know, you do not in fact have to hand it to the loving Houthis and come to the conclusion that "gently caress Israel, gently caress Hamas, gently caress America, gently caress Saudi Arabia, gently caress Iran and gently caress the Houthis" is a perfectly moral and logical perspective in assessing this conflict.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus Christ I thought I was in C-SPAM for nearly this entire page

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Personally, I think the rest of you warmongers all need to take a loving seat and realize that the Houthi movement is the last stand of freedom fighters wiling to stand up and confront Israel with whatever meager means they have. If it weren't for the Partisans of Allah, who else would stand up to the perfidious alliance of Zionists and Crusaders as they seek to move their cargo through the Red Sea?

The treachery of the Zionist-Crusader alliance runs deep. A global cabal of neoconservatives, clearly the ones behind the actual 10/7 attack on plucky lil Israel, have been anticipating this very moment by planting libelous and disgusting stories about the rightly-guided Houthi movement. They've used their pawns in Human Rights Watch in fabricating the Houthi siege on Taiz and enlisted their running dogs in Amnesty International to spin fanciful tales of of torture and civilian displacement in areas under their control. Ignore these lies and instead cast your eyes to the sky, where you might be so fortunate as to catch a glimpse of a Houthi anti-ship missile, something they definitely developed on their own and certainly not because of the spurious, fictitious allegations that they're an Iranian cat's paw, as it streaks toward the Red Sea and the never-ending stream of Zionist cargo ships.

Or, y'know, you do not in fact have to hand it to the loving Houthis and come to the conclusion that "gently caress Israel, gently caress Hamas, gently caress America, gently caress Saudi Arabia, gently caress Iran and gently caress the Houthis" is a perfectly moral and logical perspective in assessing this conflict.

I am having an enormous amount of trouble determining whether or not this is quoted from somewhere really weird

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
If everyone is bad then who do I cheer for?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Your local sports team, if you absolutely must

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Adenoid Dan posted:

Look up traffic to Eilat.

It's having a very distinct effect on Israel's economy.

Eliat isn't actually a significant port. Being in the middle of the siani.

The country that's *actually* getting completely economically hosed is Egypt.

E: further point- the economic impact of the houthi attacks on Israel pales in comparison to the economic impact of mobilization. It's already all priced in when they decide to go to war

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 30, 2024

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ok so what is anyone or any actor supposed to do when the big world baddie backs the genocide perpetrator? Ask nicely or roll over? I don't see any other option besides relying on Mush Brain President asking nicely to stop doing a genocide.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

Ok so what is anyone or any actor supposed to do when the big world baddie backs the genocide perpetrator? Ask nicely or roll over? I don't see any other option besides relying on Mush Brain President asking nicely to stop doing a genocide.

Not pretend that your long-standing piracy/random attacks are justified because you swear it's for a good reason, now.

They ain't on Gaza's side and never have been. If they were, they wouldn't be promising to exempt two of Israel's biggest trade partners/allies from the attacks (due to them also being friends of Iran).

If they actually were intent on helping Gaza, they wouldn't be doing it like they are, because all they are doing is increasing world suffering to help their pocket book,. It's akin to if, say, claiming you're trying to stop Walmart from expanding into a city by shooting randomly at a nearby highway, hijacking random vehicles for other stores, and kidnapping random people (while letting Walmart trucks go through).

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 30, 2024

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ah so genocide is the main course.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The piracy being 'completely indiscriminate no matter what they claim' is pretty laughably easily disproven by China and Russia not lifting a finger about it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The piracy being 'completely indiscriminate no matter what they claim' is pretty laughably easily disproven by China and Russia not lifting a finger about it.

I don't really understand how that disproves that it is indiscriminate? It just means Russia and China would see what's going on as more beneficial to them to let go on instead of dealing with themselves. Russia doesn't use the Red Sea much, and China can just go around and let others suffer instead. Plus, allied with Iran. Russia has all the reason in the world to back the Houthis (especially as they are very friendly with Iran). Though considering the shape of Russia's navy, it could also be a 'can't' instead of won't'.

But even all that aside, you're also wrong. Neither Russia nor China sided with the Houthis in the UN, and China is currently, right now, telling the Houthis to knock it off because it is making them look bad, as they had brokered a deal between Iran and SA to prevent this very sort of thing.

The Aardvark posted:

These attacks have predated the current round of genocide against the Gazans by about a decade, and didn't have such a narrative back then. Weird that the attacks suddenly became for Gaza in words, but still the same old attacks in deed.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 30, 2024

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They both opted against vetoing the UNSC resolution condemning the attacks. Ships with no connection to Israel, the US, or the UK carrying sanctioned Russian oil as well as a Chinese goods have been attacked. Russia wants to stay on Iran's good side to continue receiving military support for their invasion of Ukraine. And Jake Sullivan just met with China's foreign minister to discuss China applying back-room diplomatic pressure on Iran to get them to stop the attacks, because the Suez is a major trade route for EU-bound Chinese goods.

efb

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The Aardvark posted:

Youre giving me a trolley problem and telling me I'm wrong if I choose any course but the one you dictate. I dont feel the need to support a lesser evil.

Just in case you come at me with something about shipping being only a big deal to the US, UK, and Isreal:

The US isn't affected by this outside of apples not getting to the 5th fleet currently. There is next to no Asia-US trade moving through there. They would be attacking US civilians moving cargo of very little military value without having any effect on the US economy outside of garunteeing reprisals.

The UK is a footnote here, the operator of the ML is based in the UK but thats meaningless when it comes to shipping.

Isreal probably isn't greatly affected. I dont really care to look.

The big picture is that 90% of everything moves on water with a decent amount of that passing through the Suez. This can include things like Ukrainian grain for East Africa or goods moving back. In the short term, there's some bumps as supply chains adjust. Insurance costs have gone from like 20k up to 1kk, about the same as fuel costs for the trip around the Cape. Currently this isn't a big deal. Long term, this can disrupt trade in a big way, up to and including creating a global recession. Many of these costs are invisible and won't have any affect on the US but they will definitely start to hit the world's poor as they will notice those price rises.

I have no idea how this will play out if it continues since supply chains are extremely complex. It just won't work out in the way many people assume.

I do support the US ensuring freedom of navigation as that is a cornerstone of liberal democracy. Increased trade is good for the world.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 30, 2024

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
As oppressed as the Houthi’s are, they put their desire to commit genocide right on their flag.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Borscht posted:

As oppressed as the Houthi’s are, they put their desire to commit genocide right on their flag.

huh?

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

from wikipedia

"God is the Greatest
Death to America
Death to Israel
A Curse Upon the Jews
Victory to Islam"

well, carrying a grudge for crimes perpetrated is genocidal in a way, i guess

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

I do support the US ensuring freedom of navigation as that is a cornerstone of liberal democracy. Increased trade is good for the world.

it wasn't all that long ago when US warships were assisting the Saudis in the illegal blockade of north Yemen, you know

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

from wikipedia

"God is the Greatest
Death to America
Death to Israel
A Curse Upon the Jews
Victory to Islam"

well, carrying a grudge for crimes perpetrated is genocidal in a way, i guess

They worked pretty hard to make sure there are no Jews in their country.

Also, are all Jews guilty of Israel's crimes? That seems to be what you're saying.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

Kchama posted:

They worked pretty hard to make sure there are no Jews in their country.

Also, are all Jews guilty of Israel's crimes? That seems to be what you're saying.

Hey man, we can all read whatever we want in each others hidden messages. But no, that isn't what I seem to be saying

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

Like, Israel does kinda lean on the whole "Jewish Nation" concept. Some people hated Germans back when that whole swastika business was a thing

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

Hey man, we can all read whatever we want in each others hidden messages. But no, that isn't what I seem to be saying
It's not just Israel or America they say they hate on their flag. and you just said that they want to genocide their enemies stated on the flag because 'maybe it's just because of a grudge for 'crimes perpetuated in a genocidal way'. So I had to clarify since you seemed to be putting the Jews in there too.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

Kchama posted:

It's not just Israel or America they say they hate on their flag. and you just said that they want to genocide their enemies stated on the flag because 'maybe it's just because of a grudge for 'crimes perpetuated in a genocidal way'. So I had to clarify since you seemed to be putting the Jews in there too.

Well sure, but isn't it kinda completely reasonable to associate Israel with Jews as a people, since uh, Israel kinda does portray itself as THE Jewish Nation? It might not be just, but that's kinda what follows when a state like Israel does crimes against Muslims for half a century...... It's the same with America imo, there's plenty of hatred among Muslims towards your people for quite justifiable reasons. It's not something you can really criticise them for.

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

I have Kuwaiti refugee friend, who tells me used to love America, but now he prefers that Saddam still ruled, because at least he wasn't american... There are consequences to injustices is my point

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat... profound...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Better the Scud you know