Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For the blackteenth time, it was the exaggerated swagger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao, word round the campfire is they've blown close to half a billion on this thing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah Rocksteady is not going to exist by the end of summer probably

There's a half decent chance WB doesn't exist by the end of the summer

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Opopanax posted:

There's a half decent chance WB doesn't exist by the end of the summer

I highly doubt that WB will be that affected by Suicide Squad's performance. Unless you just mean their games division, and even then they'd probably be able to eat any losses. WB is huge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chaosapiant posted:

I highly doubt that WB will be that affected by Suicide Squad's performance. Unless you just mean their games division, and even then they'd probably be able to eat any losses. WB is huge.

I think they mean it's more about any given chunk of Warner Brothers-Discovery-Yutani being up for sale. Do you want to own Elmer Fudd? And like financially I mean, not in the way he gets owned by Bugs Bunny? Get out your chequebook.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

WB is in real bad shape

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Apparently that 100% completion bug was reported by alpha testers. And they didn't fix it lol

Yeah WB and Paramount merging is the big scuttlebutt. That Discovery merger hosed WB over bigtime.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you see disastrous results for our Q2, warn a brother

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman's death
https://twitter.com/omegamauro1/status/1752012715072102699?t=kUgG1znfwlZzKJaaY-pSgg&s=19

Mr Hootington posted:

Reportedly some skins can cost up to $40

I think someone here at SA coined the phrase "An ugly ______ for stupid people", and I think this game fits. On the surface and by all appearances, it's actually a graphically sound game, at least in cutscenes. But the tone and content here spilled over from grimdark into just straight up ugly. This is some serious Batman Who Laughs vibes all over it. I'm only slightly surprised that they didn't show evidence that Batman killed all the Bat-family

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wrong. I would never play an ugly game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Apparently that 100% completion bug was reported by alpha testers. And they didn't fix it lol

Yeah WB and Paramount merging is the big scuttlebutt. That Discovery merger hosed WB over bigtime.

"Hm! This company has a ton of debt! Surely this will not affect us!" - "Big" Dave Zaslav.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WB: Wow we really got hosed by that big merger. This one will be different though.

Repeat for like 40 years.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I think someone here at SA coined the phrase "An ugly ______ for stupid people", and I think this game fits. On the surface and by all appearances, it's actually a graphically sound game, at least in cutscenes. But the tone and content here spilled over from grimdark into just straight up ugly. This is some serious Batman Who Laughs vibes all over it. I'm only slightly surprised that they didn't show evidence that Batman killed all the Bat-family

I think the thing in your spoiler might end up being true in other scenes.

As to the point, yeah, it's reminded me tonally of stuff like Identity Crisis or Infinite Crisis from the mid 00s where everything just seemed to be reveling in how nasty it can be. "these aren't your dads heroes!" it seems to scream, when tbh, at this point, we're kinda over capacity on jerk heroes or monstrous versions of our heroes.

Edit: Colour me wrong about the "I don't think it'll go on sale quite that quick" thing as well. I assume it's an error but still, that is a sale by any definition.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It was a limited number of codes in the UK only

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know the weird thing is I don't think this would leave people as mad (well, they'd still be mad about all the myriad other problems with the game like the all the DLC and nickel-and-diming) if they didn't go out of their way to specify it's the same Batman/universe as all the Arkham games. Like... why? Were they intentionally trying to start drama? I mean if that was the intent, I guess good job fellas, you're gonna get have now gotten a bunch of people on Twitter real mad. And granted some of those people saying they won't buy it now were never gonna, and some of those people are full of poo poo and will still buy it. But ultimately it was just a dumb move. I guess the idea was that people would definitely buy/preorder the game on the promise of more Arkham-verse content (and I'm sure plenty did), but like, did nobody in the planning stages realize "waiiit a minute, people might not like us killing a beloved version of that character"? Marketing it as being in the same universe as the Arkham games has to be one of the biggest cases of shortsighted planning/marketing I've seen in years.

edit: yeah people would still be big mad about it being Kevin Conroy's final Batman performance but if they were just like "nah this one sounds the same but it's definitely Universe #[insert random number here] and not that one" people would get over it way faster I'm sure.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Luckily online discourse seems to not matter when making consumer choices

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paramount ended the negotiations with WBD and is now in advanced talks to merge with David Ellison's Skydance Productions.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah Rocksteady is not going to exist by the end of summer probably

They've got GTA 6 coming out, that is a cow that makes milk 25/7

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grem posted:

That's Rockstar.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Grem posted:

That's Bebop

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Leaks were 100% right about the story lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

muscles like this! posted:

That's Rockstar.

How am I so loving stupid

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I hear you like the destiny 2 gun grind.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll admit, but the game play looks so boring like every other looter shooter out there but they slapped on DC characters because people will buy it then. Unfortunately, they're right that people will probably buy it based on DC alone.

I'm honestly surprised WBD isn't lovely enough to use Conroy's death as a way to make people buy the game at this point considering how lovely Zaslav has been with IPs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo tier lists called finite crisis. That is just so.....stupid

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you're not gonna get goofy with the guns like Borderlands, Ratchet and Clank or Saints Row, then the least you could do is let us take some piece of the powers of the various heroes to change up everyone's gameplay. Speedforce Kingshark or Green Lantern Harley would be worth 40$.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grem posted:

If it makes you feel any better I made this same mistake when the first Arkham game came out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

One of the leakers is claiming that the jla deaths are a fakeout and it is made clear in the story. they also claim season 2 and 3 will be dealing with that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

One of the leakers is claiming that the jla deaths are a fakeout and it is made clear in the story. they also claim season 2 and 3 will be dealing with that.

so the game's title is a lie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

How? Harley, uh, shoots Batman in the face and unless they had a looooooot of dialogue pre-recorded it doesn't seem like he's coming back.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The game may be a disaster on a technical and release level, but the storyline cut scenes have a charm and humor to them. Too much swearing for punchlines though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grem posted:

Well, you are posting on Something Awful.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ImpAtom posted:

How? Harley, uh, shoots Batman in the face and unless they had a looooooot of dialogue pre-recorded it doesn't seem like he's coming back.

Rubber bullets. Honest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Darkseid, cloning, secrets only the Squad knew.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So there is a story beat about how brainiac has changed the league's genetics so they regenerate or they could be clones. the game makes it ambiguous supposedly. one clue is Flash grows back his fingers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd like another Batman game for sure but I always wondered what Rocksteady could do with Daredevil using that formula. The detective vision is already a good step in the right direction. I can see expanding on that in creative ways. I guess you'd have to tighten up the environment to add more parkour elements since DD can't glide.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Mr Hootington posted:

So there is a story beat about how brainiac has changed the league's genetics so they regenerate or they could be clones. the game makes it ambiguous supposedly. one clue is Flash grows back his fingers.

That doesn't really do anything for all the other heroes that Braniac didn't capture that die, like Wonder Woman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here are the deaths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvDATSLO7U
GL's ring doesn't leave and his body gets zapped away. When wonder woman dies she turns to clay and blows away. She has returned from this before.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 30, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So they bring back everyone then you get to play as Superman and Batman... with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

The game may be a disaster on a technical and release level, but the storyline cut scenes have a charm and humor to them. Too much swearing for punchlines though.

Suicide Squad if Vivziepop wrote it