Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I haven't seen it yet, 'cause gently caress Haugtufsa Gro H. Brundtland

Gatas Parlament had a track called "Kloke ord fra Gro Harlem Brundtland" on their first LP Autobahn til Union

... it's 5 minutes of silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Groda posted:

The last good reason to be a member of Unionen disappeared like three years ago when they stopped paying for driver's ed.

My (former) colleague got great help from Unionen when he was, um, "encouraged to quit" I guess. They have at least one lady who does a good job!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Most of the people who work at Unionen have been poached from other fackförbund and a-kassor. I imagine they're trying their best even in the face of Unionen's long-term goals.

I hate their insipid stupid loving ads so much. Class struggles reduced to "Is your boss not letting you have fika three times a day? We can help!" bullshit.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

LO in Norway is mostly reduced to an insurance company these days. A really good insurance company, but still

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Anders posted:

Gatas Parlament had a track called "Kloke ord fra Gro Harlem Brundtland" on their first LP Autobahn til Union

Brilliant!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Between the massive privatization of state owned companies ("part" privatization and "passive ownership") and her "Typisk Norsk å være god" brand of complacent nationalism I'd argue that she has been the worst PM since Jens Hundseid (became a nazi collaborator). Jagland is close, considering he was the main proponent of New Public Management

Don't get me wrong, the others since Willoch has been terrible too - Solberg has been a catastrophe, but after Jagland and Brundtland there wasn't a lot of big things left to destroy

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ministry of Defense sat on classified reports for 13 years that showed Danish bombing missions in Libya killed civilians on behalf of the "defensive alliance" NATO.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2024-01-25-danske-kampflys-aktioner-kaedes-sammen-med-drab-paa-civile-i-libyen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of, I'm watching Makta and it's really good.

i quite like this einar førde interpretation in general but they should've written this guy's lines in nynorsk imo, that was a big part of førde's ~*brand*~ and he's the only major character to have an important part of his background changed so drastically

Anders posted:

Between the massive privatization of state owned companies ("part" privatization and "passive ownership") and her "Typisk Norsk å være god" brand of complacent nationalism I'd argue that she has been the worst PM since Jens Hundseid (became a nazi collaborator). Jagland is close, considering he was the main proponent of New Public Management

Don't get me wrong, the others since Willoch has been terrible too - Solberg has been a catastrophe, but after Jagland and Brundtland there wasn't a lot of big things left to destroy

i have a bit of sympathy for jagland, he really did try to bring labour dirigisme into the new millenium before getting shelved completely by stoltenberg. NPM was so omnipresent in the time that the only way to resist it would've been an armed takeover of power by a revolutionary faction, every single NOU written between ~1995 and ~2010 just accepts NPM as pure gospel and scientific truth

Anders posted:

It's not strange, by the 70s Ap became the party to be in if you wanted to get a head. "Å ha partiboka i orden" was political lingo as late as the 90s with regards to being a party member to get into the circles of power. It not longer mattered what politics you had anymore, just who your political allies were. Arbeiderpartiet, like Senterpartiet and Høyre are "maktparti" where personal alliances and personal favors are more important than anything else

rune slagstad calls the post-war period of politics the "one-party state" for a reason - it was very clear for a long time that labour was where you went if you were an ambitious striver, but until brundtland and her lot they mostly recruited from the broader labour movement with a smattering of sympathetic intellectuals (hello halfdan koht! hello jens christian hauge!). this seems to have really broken down by the eighties, possibly because the generation which were kids during the war had seen most of the "ambitious striver type" cohort go through higher education rather than the movement's own schooling? it's not clear to me

also lol at makta-reiulf steen using the generational experience of the occupation to explain the labour leadership's attitude to NATO and having it accepted when SV was right there

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 25, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anders posted:

It also sums up why Gatas Parlament kinda sucks: They think they're way more clever and funnier than they really are.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So I guess they made one good song, eh?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Alhazred posted:

It also sums up why Gatas Parlament kinda sucks: They think they're way more clever and funnier than they really are.

Gatas were great before they started releasing albums, I agree with you from that point forward unfortunately. Samvirkelaget when they recorded with Hopalong Knut is pretty cool though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/uppsala/stor-polisinsats-oster-om-uppsala-gangkriminell-ska-ha-fritagits

A gangster murderer was out for a walk with the guards, at which point he simply...walked away and jumped into a car, and now they can't find him.

I live in a loving clown country.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

drat, Lillebjørn Nilsen r.i.p.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I'll play Victor Jara/Stadion i Santiago when I'm singing for my son this evening

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark has sent off its frigate Iver Huitfeldt to the Red Sea to back Israel's genocide against Palestinians in Gaza. Fully expecting the government to also follow suit with the rest of the U.S. vassals and suspend funding for UNRWA at the most critical time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Alhazred posted:

drat, Lillebjørn Nilsen r.i.p.

I'll make a toast to his memory.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

SplitSoul posted:

Denmark has sent off its frigate Iver Huitfeldt to the Red Sea to back Israel's genocide against Palestinians in Gaza. Fully expecting the government to also follow suit with the rest of the U.S. vassals and suspend funding for UNRWA at the most critical time.

I know I poo poo on Denmark a lot... but I think they deserve it. Seriously what a regressive country. You used to be too liberal :smith:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.dn.se/direkt/2024-01-30/sverige-fortsatt-ett-av-varldens-minst-korrupta-lander/

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/sverige-allt-mer-korrupt

Least corrupt doesn’t mean not corrupt and I have a feeling that we’re far more corrupt than we’re aware of or openly admit to.

E: lmao and Norway, Finland and Denmark beat us.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

https://www.dn.se/direkt/2024-01-30/sverige-fortsatt-ett-av-varldens-minst-korrupta-lander/

Least corrupt doesn’t mean not corrupt and I have a feeling that we’re far more corrupt than we’re aware of or openly admit to.

E: lmao and Norway, Finland and Denmark beat us.

Third least corrrupt country in Scandinavia! Congrats

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Anders posted:

I know I poo poo on Denmark a lot... but I think they deserve it. Seriously what a regressive country. You used to be too liberal :smith:

scandinavia: i know i poo poo on denmark a lot, but i think they deserve it

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Third least corrrupt country in Scandinavia! Congrats

Not how that list is read. We’re the most. We’re number one!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Anders posted:

Defending unarmed civilian ships against missile attacks in international waters is "regressive"? I have some news about the people launching the missiles if that's your standard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

teen witch posted:

I loving hate the constant misrepresentation of those sources.

It's a Corruption Perception Index.
It does not in fact calculate how corrupt or not corrupt a land is, as media keeps portraying it.
Only how corrupt or not corrupt it seems to be.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

They say no good deed goes unpunished. You attempt to stop an ongoing genocide, and what do you get? Even more bombs dropped on you and inane flack from members of the pharisaic leather-tongued westoid peanut gallery.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

Not how that list is read. We’re the most. We’re number one!

Maybe my english is suffering a stroke.

The least corrupt country (ostensibly) in Scandinavia is Denmark(lol)

The second least corrupt country (ostensibly) in Scandinavia is Norway (mega lol)

The third least corrupt country (aka most corrupt) in Scandinavia is Sweden

Or am I having a brain

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The second least corrupt country (ostensibly) in Scandinavia is Norway (mega lol)

Or am I having a brain

yes

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

They say no good deed goes unpunished. You attempt to stop an ongoing genocide, and what do you get? Even more bombs dropped on you and inane flack from members of the pharisaic leather-tongued westoid peanut gallery.

The Houthi are at this point just attacking random ships with no evident ties to Israel. While I understand this is claimed to be an attempt to shut down Red Sea traffic to pressure third countries to press Israel to stop committing genocide in Gaza, it's also a clear breach of international law so other countries are also absolutely within their rights to try to stop them.

Firing drones and missiles at clearly civilian ships in international waters is either an act of war or piracy. How anyone can be shocked by the fact this provokes a military response is itself difficult to comprehend.

I think Israel is absolutely committing genocide and think Denmark should be blockading Israeli ports. It doesn't make what the Houthi are doing either morally or legally right either. Trying to sink random civilian ships and kill random ship crews isn't justified by what Israel is doing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Or am I having a brain

Exactly, Sweden is number one! Most corrupt in Scandinavia! Heja Sverige!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

teen witch posted:

Exactly, Sweden is number one! Most corrupt in Scandinavia! Heja Sverige!

*Perceived* #1. The other countries could be worse, but dumber and not notice.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

*Perceived* #1. The other countries could be worse, but dumber and not notice.

Let us have this one

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

teen witch posted:

Let us have this one

No, I will fight you. Norway is hilariously, stupidly corrupt. I am a public servant law guy and I will not loving hear it. The only checks and balances we have are checks from developers and the balance of their bank account.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Rust Martialis posted:

The Houthi are at this point just attacking random ships with no evident ties to Israel. While I understand this is claimed to be an attempt to shut down Red Sea traffic to pressure third countries to press Israel to stop committing genocide in Gaza, it's also a clear breach of international law so other countries are also absolutely within their rights to try to stop them.

Firing drones and missiles at clearly civilian ships in international waters is either an act of war or piracy. How anyone can be shocked by the fact this provokes a military response is itself difficult to comprehend.

I think Israel is absolutely committing genocide and think Denmark should be blockading Israeli ports. It doesn't make what the Houthi are doing either morally or legally right either. Trying to sink random civilian ships and kill random ship crews isn't justified by what Israel is doing.

they are not firing at random ships, they started out going after ships heading to or owned by israel, then expanded that to british and american owned ships after the bombings started

other ships are passing through just fine

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Or am I having a brain

A Norwegian and a Swede had a ski race. The day after this was the headline in the Swedish press:

Sweden takes silver! Norway comes in second to last!

No, I will fight you. Norway is hilariously, stupidly corrupt. I am a public servant law guy and I will not loving hear it. The only checks and balances we have are checks from developers and the balance of their bank account.

Oh yes. Might still be one of the least corrupt in the world, but we're catching up as fast as we can!
"Typisk norsk å være god grådig"

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

norway, famously not corrupt says man with no memory of last summer

https://www.nrk.no/norge/anette-trettebergstuen-gar-av-som-kulturminister-1.16457966

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Grimson posted:

norway, famously not corrupt says man with no memory of last summer

https://www.nrk.no/norge/anette-trettebergstuen-gar-av-som-kulturminister-1.16457966

I don't think anyone ITT has said that there isn't any corruption in Norway though...

Grimson posted:

scandinavia: i know i poo poo on denmark a lot, but i think they deserve it

No, giving me a thread title would make me even more obnoxious than I am already (Though I do support a thread title making GBS threads on Denmark, sorry not sorry)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Megamissen posted:

they are not firing at random ships, they started out going after ships heading to or owned by israel, then expanded that to british and american owned ships after the bombings started

other ships are passing through just fine

word?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Who the hell puts bea on pyttipanna :barf:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I actually (not joking, being v serious) in my real life really like Denmark, and Sweden. Like both are genuinely wonderful countries to visit in a kind of uncanny valley for norwegians type thing.

But Norway is the most corrupt country holy gently caress, and it's not at all about money but it's about who you know. Like if you had to recuse yourself because of friendships or potential personal business interests basically zero cases would make it through committee.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Denmark is small-c conservativecorrupt :v:

Also a vassal state at this point, so regardless of whether the justification is valid, sending a ship bugs me a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I actually (not joking, being v serious) in my real life really like Denmark, and Sweden. Like both are genuinely wonderful countries to visit in a kind of uncanny valley for norwegians type thing.

But Norway is the most corrupt country holy gently caress, and it's not at all about money but it's about who you know. Like if you had to recuse yourself because of friendships or potential personal business interests basically zero cases would make it through committee.

:habba:

Sir, this is the "dunk on Denmark" thread

I totally agree with you btw - I work in a small kommune and "face factor" is everywhere, and public officials give preferential treatment to their neighborhoods etc all the time

While you can't bribe local officials to give you a building permit due to it being illegal for them to do so - But if you know the Statsforvalter, it's very likely they'll give you advice how to write a complaint and they'll overturn the decision.

Popular ski star wants to build cabins in a nature reserve? Sure thing, go ahead Golden Boy, we'll bend the rule for you

Salmon farms want to dump waste in the Fjord? Well they did build the new soccer hall so the kids can train year round, so we should show some appreciation

Our corruption is so subtle most of us can't see it, even if we're a part of it, but it is everywhere