Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
*presents chart that says maaaaaybe excess deaths hit the baseline for a brief window but have otherwise continued to be elevated* Look! Deaths are over!

e:

Psycho Society posted:

They're not are they? I think the straps are just tighter. I laid all the auras on top of each other once and they seemed the same at least.

I'm lucky they are though cause only the tightest, the 9211+ seems to fit me with confidence, and the other ones fog up my glasses a whole lot, and I don't think its just the valve

Maybe the straps are just making it tighter but it all around feels less comfortable and puts actually painful pressure on my nose if I wear them for durations that I'm fine with a 9205.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

*presents chart that says maaaaaybe excess deaths hit the baseline for a brief window but have otherwise continued to be elevated* Look! Deaths are over!

death is mild possibly even endemic

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Got so entangled in Danish excess deaths the other day, that I completely forgot to post the study prompting me to do a deep dive.
"Excess non-COVID-19 mortality in Norway 2020–2022"

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-023-17515-5 posted:

Abstract
Background
Causes of death other than COVID-19 seem to contribute significantly to the excess mortality observed during the 2020–2022 pandemic. In this study, we explore changes in non-COVID-19 causes of death in Norway during the COVID-19 pandemic from March 2020 to December 2022.

Methods
We performed a population-based cross-sectional study on data from the Norwegian Cause of Death Registry. All recorded deaths from 1st January 2010 to 31st December 2022 were included. The main outcome measures were the number of deaths and age-standardised death rate (ASMR) per 100000 population from the major cause of death groups in 2020, 2021 and 2022. The predicted number of deaths and ASMRs were forecasted with a 95% prediction interval constructed from a general linear regression model based on the corresponding number of deaths and rates from the preceding ten prepandemic years (2010–2019). We also examined whether there were deviations from expected seasonality in the pandemic period based on prepandemic monthly data from 2010–2019. The cumulative number of deaths and ASMR were estimated based on monthly mortality data.

Results
There was significant excess mortality (number of deaths) in 2021 and 2022 for all causes (3.7% and 14.5%), for cardiovascular diseases (14.3% and 22.0%), and for malignant tumours in 2022 (3.5%). In terms of ASMR, there was excess mortality in 2021 and 2022 for all causes (2.9% and 13.7%), and for cardiovascular diseases (16.0% and 25,8%). ASMR was higher than predicted in 2022 for malignant tumours (2.3%). There were fewer deaths than predicted from respiratory diseases (except COVID-19) in 2020 and 2021, and from dementia in 2021 and 2022. From March 2020 to December 2022, there were cumulatively 3754 (ASMR 83.8) more non-COVID-19 deaths than predicted, of which 3453 (ASMR: 79.6) were excess deaths from cardiovascular disease, 509 (ASMR 4.0) from malignant tumours. Mortality was lower than predicted for respiratory diseases (-1889 (ASMR: -44.3)), and dementia (-530 (ASMR -18.5)).

Conclusions
There was considerable excess non-COVID-19 mortality in Norway from March 2020 until December 2022, mainly due to excess cardiovascular deaths. For respiratory diseases and dementia, mortality was lower than predicted.
(..)

(..)

That's ~1/1566 Norwegians dying from excess cardiovascular disease in the period.

The reason for the deep dive was this sentence:

quote:

In neighbouring Sweden and Denmark, there was no increase in cardiovascular mortality in 2020–2022.
With that sentence and my earlier deep dive in mind, it is difficult not to figure that Norway tags an amount of COVID deaths as cardiovascular (while Denmark tags them as "unfinalized" lol).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

They're not are they? I think the straps are just tighter. I laid all the auras on top of each other once and they seemed the same at least.

I'm lucky they are though cause only the tightest, the 9211+ seems to fit me with confidence, and the other ones fog up my glasses a whole lot, and I don't think its just the valve

the 9205, 9210, and 9211+ are each slightly different sizes. They go from large to small in the order I listed them.

am I missing a plus on the 9210? the fabric strap one.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.statnews.com/2024/01/29/covid-misinformation-supreme-court/ posted:

Can the government ask social media sites to take down Covid misinformation? SCOTUS will weigh in

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court will this March hear arguments centered on the government’s role in communicating — and sometimes censoring — pertinent public health information in the midst of a pandemic.

At the core of the lawsuit is whether the federal government’s requests for social media and search giants like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to moderate Covid-19 misinformation violated users’ First Amendment rights.
(..)

:shrug:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I mean that case only exists to setup Alito and Thomas to file their dissenting opinion that social media should be regulated like common carriers to protect "conservative voices" even though apparently the ISP that actually has a monopoly on the cables to your house doesn't count as one. Nobody involved in that case on either side gives even the tiniest poo poo possible about COVID or COVID misinformation.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Shiroc posted:

e:

Maybe the straps are just making it tighter but it all around feels less comfortable and puts actually painful pressure on my nose if I wear them for durations that I'm fine with a 9205.

duckmask supremacy. wear a halyard fluidshield duckmask since it looks like you have an orange bill on and laugh at everyone else in inferior disposable masks

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

We just got discharged. They couldn't find anything wrong with him except for slightly elevated liver enzymes.

He also doesn't have any health insurance at all so I wonder if they just did the most basic stuff and just booted him out asap. We had to use a bed in a hallway and the waiting room was totally packed. Then again it could be an anxiety attack or it's just simply something that isn't detectable with the labs that was done. At least he's now trying to get some health insurance through his work and see if he can find a doctor to take a better look at him (apparently this is the second time since he also felt the same thing Saturday but he didn't tell us)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The wastewater surveillance variant trend graph for Victoria Australia finally got updated for the first time in a month. Last update was December 12, this one is accurate up to January 11 (so it's nearly 3 weeks out of date already).

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/infectious-diseases/victorian-covid-19-surveillance-report

JN.I keeps winning, harder than ever. There's no surprises there

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

So I'm trying to get an updated covid vaccine (Novavax) in preparation for someone visiting from overseas in march and CVS said they won't do it without a prescription since I got one done in september. Trying to figure out a way around that but drat I don't have many ideas right now.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Derek posted:

So I'm trying to get an updated covid vaccine (Novavax) in preparation for someone visiting from overseas in march and CVS said they won't do it without a prescription since I got one done in september. Trying to figure out a way around that but drat I don't have many ideas right now.

lie

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Oracle posted:

anybody seeing an uptick in people complaining about pinkeye? Seen 4 so far, and I wasn’t even the one who told one of them it’s a sign of early Covid infection (they were maaad at this suggestion).

Forgot to mention but adenoviruses can cause pinkeye too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dr. Derek posted:

Oops you forgot your ID, no you don't have insurance, say your doctor told you to get Novavax specifically, if they try and charge you for it ask if they can ring it up as a Pfizer because the billing codes were messed up when I got mine and the pharmacist made an executive decision (your mileage may vary).

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Dr. Derek posted:

I posted this CDC website a bit earlier up thread:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/interim-considerations-us.html#immunocompromised

The relevant quote:

"People can self-attest to their moderately or severely immunocompromised status and receive COVID-19 vaccine doses wherever vaccines are offered. Vaccinators should not deny COVID-19 vaccination to a person due to lack of documentation."

Gatekeeping of any kind is a violation of government guidance. My advise would be to keep trying different pharmacies and refuse to offer any info that might suggest you are not eligible.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.abrome.com/layers-of-protection

This private school has got it going on.

If people even put in a quarter of that effort we'd be in such a better place right now.

seems like a lot of expensive private schools are doing things like this! for some reason!

(i know this because i tried to finagle getting my kid into a school with good ventilation and UV lights and poo poo next fall, but i could not afford $20k per year so lol)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Not getting brain damage is a luxury ok.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

idk, i think about this sometimes.

is it that it's considered a luxury per se, or is it just not something for the rabble--something that your typical wealthy person would expect to be there because that is just your quality of life when you matter?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Historically the wealthy have always insulated themselves away from pestilence. Like in the south during the yellow fever outbreak years, the rich would always retreat to far off estates to avoid being in city when an outbreak started. It was somewhat effective. I assume they view it as a standard of their lives.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

what i enjoy is that the school i'll be sending my kid to in the fall is literally falling apart. it's actually closed right now while, idk, some folks slap some rubber cement on the crumbling ceilings or whatever.

the $40k/year private school a half mile away had UV lighting added to its state of the art ventilation system in december of 2020. lol.

same story at most of the ~nice~ schools around here.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

silicone thrills posted:

You don't want to get brain damage? What makes you so special?? :raise:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i just can't understand where the elite think this is headed. whole generations of kids getting covid 2-4x per year, every year. where's your labor? where are your sycophants? who will maintain your armed robot dogs?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

We just got discharged. They couldn't find anything wrong with him except for slightly elevated liver enzymes.

He also doesn't have any health insurance at all so I wonder if they just did the most basic stuff and just booted him out asap. We had to use a bed in a hallway and the waiting room was totally packed. Then again it could be an anxiety attack or it's just simply something that isn't detectable with the labs that was done. At least he's now trying to get some health insurance through his work and see if he can find a doctor to take a better look at him (apparently this is the second time since he also felt the same thing Saturday but he didn't tell us)

I'm assuming he at least got troponin checked. So most likely he's not actively experiencing heart muscle damage at least. As you say hopefully he can get checked out more soon. Occasional rapid/irregular heartbeat even with some chest pain can be caused by so much random poo poo apparently.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Insanite posted:

i just can't understand where the elite think this is headed. whole generations of kids getting covid 2-4x per year, every year. where's your labor? where are your sycophants? who will maintain your armed robot dogs?

Children are immune, any negative impacts on them are lingering consequences of lockdowns.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm assuming he at least got troponin checked. So most likely he's not actively experiencing heart muscle damage at least. As you say hopefully he can get checked out more soon. Occasional rapid/irregular heartbeat even with some chest pain can be caused by so much random poo poo apparently.

Oh we don't know anything. Like literally the only thing they told us was that, the labs came back all good. We didn't even had a doctor come in and talk to us, it was just a RN before she started to take out the IV line and gave us a print out from Wikipedia and shooed us out to the exit.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
new research shows the epigenetic damage lockdowns left in its ruinous wake!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

.... a print out from Wikipedia and shooed us out to the exit.

Goddamn, lol.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Insanite posted:

ai will take care of it

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pink Mist posted:

ai will take care of it

tbh, wouldn't dismiss this as something that is considered to make up for brain fog productivity loss while ~~someone~~ solves things without disturbing established social order + hierarchy

real climate change vibes :hai:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Insanite posted:

Our elites are braindead morons themselves, multiple generations out from the people who accumulated the money they're still spending. They have never wanted for anything in their lives and have never had to make a difficult decision. Like that one tweet says, their lifestyle is probably the cognitive equivalent of being kicked in the head by a donkey.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Our elites are braindead morons themselves, multiple generations out from the people who accumulated the money they're still spending. They have never wanted for anything in their lives and have never had to make a difficult decision. Like that one tweet says, their lifestyle is probably the cognitive equivalent of being kicked in the head by a donkey.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/about-us/our-international-work/covid-emergency-relief-fund

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NeonPunk posted:

We didn't even had a doctor come in and talk to us, it was just a RN before she started to take out the IV line and gave us a print out from Wikipedia and shooed us out to the exit.

TRUST THE DOCTORS RNS

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Your post reminded me of the one Koch failson who wore the moneybags shirts and now I can't stop laughing.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Insanite posted:

peasants, like many other things, are an infinite resource that can never run out

if somehow the local supply dries up another group will come replace them all on their own

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://x.com/sleepyjim0/status/1752128220617424929?s=46

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Jan 30, 2024

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
One of the more proactive things that the Victorian Department of Education did to improve air quality in the states' schools:

https://www.education.vic.gov.au/PAL/improving-ventilation-for-school-safety-factsheet-parents.pdf

https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/ventilation-air-purification/policy

https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/ventilation-air-purification/guidance/operation-placement-air-purifiers

The placement and air purification guidelines from the second link posted:

Operation and placement of air purifiers

The department has provided schools with Samsung AX7500 (also known as the AX90T) model air purifiers. This advice relates to this specific model of air purifier (device).

Each device contains a user manual, which should be kept in the same room as each unit for reference. A short set-up guide (PDF)

can also be found on the Samsung website.

The air purifiers contain high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters. HEPA filters can help filter airborne viruses, bacteria, and particulate matter from bushfire or hazard reduction burn smoke.

Air purifiers do not eliminate airborne infectious disease transmission but, combined with other interventions in schools – including vaccination, physical distancing, good hygiene, masks and cleaning, they create a safer school environment.

Each air purifier is designed to filter an area of 90 m2. If a space is larger than 90 m2 multiple air purifiers should be used based on the total area of the space (for example, if a space is 150 m2, 2 air purifiers should be used – if a space is 250 m2, 3 air purifiers should be used).

Advice on placing the air purifiers within a room to maximise efficiency:

Air purifiers draw air in from the front, meaning they can be placed near a wall or in a corner.

The air purifiers require at least 20 to 30 cm space around the sides and the back.
Place the devices away from open doors and windows.
Place the devices in areas of low air movement – this is often the opposite side of the room to open windows or doors.
Do not place objects on top of the device.
Place the air purifiers away from audio/visual media as they can be affected by video or audio noise.
Use one air purifier per 90 m2 space. An additional air purifier should be used with each additional 90 m2.

Recommended advice for using the air purifiers:

Turn air purifiers on ‘high’ fan speed throughout the day and ideally 2 hours after a room is occupied.
Use timers to manage daily routines.
Use air purifiers together with open windows.
Continue to promote air movement through available means such as fans and air-conditioners even when the air-purifier is in use.
If noise is affecting learning, turn the air purifier fan down from the high setting.
Ensure the child lock function on the air purifier is activated when students are in the room.
Practice good hand hygiene after touching the device.
Refer to the user manual for all information about the safe operation of the air purifiers.
Do not leave air purifiers operating at schools overnight. This can result in units setting off school alarm systems.

Location of air purifiers within a school

Schools need to consider how air purifiers can support the unique characteristics of their existing infrastructure and school community. Purifiers are portable and can be moved to accommodate operational changes within the school.

Schools have been provided with a sufficient number of air purifiers to cover all classrooms and other high-risk spaces. Room risk ratings can be found at: Room risk rating and management strategies.

Schools should consider placing air purifiers in rooms that:
have limited opportunity for other forms of ventilation (for example, rooms with windows that cannot be opened or rooms where the only openable windows and/or door outside are on one side of the room)
have occupants that are unable to maintain physical distancing easily
will be used for activities that require higher levels of exertion, no mask-wearing, or increased aerosol projection, such as music, singing, sport, or drama
are used by a vulnerable student or staff cohort, including those who are immune compromised or have underlying health conditions, or are not able to utilise other interventions such as masks, physical distancing, and/or vaccination
are required to hold a higher number of people for extended periods.

Safe movement of air purifiers

The air purifiers provided to schools are portable and can be moved by staff.

School staff who physically move or lift air purifiers must take steps to manage the associated OHS risks, including when they are delivered and being moved around the school. These steps must include:

reviewing the guidance for the safe movement of air purifiers by school staff, available in the Movement of air purifiers: safe work procedure (DOCX)
completing the Risk assessment for movement of air purifiers (DOCX)
and tailoring it to the school’s particular context and environment
ensuring those staff members have completed the Manual Handling eLearning module (staff login required) – or complete it as a refresher – on LearnED prior to starting this work.

A Manual handling awareness training presentation (PPTX) is also available to support staff to familiarise themselves with safe manual handling techniques. For more general guidance about manual handling refer to the Movement of air purifiers – training and guidance section of the Resources tab.

School purchase of air purifiers

Schools can purchase additional air purifiers. When choosing the type of air purifier, schools should consider the specifications required for an air purifier to be effective in the intended space, including having capacity sufficient for the room size.

Consider the following factors before purchasing and deploying air purifiers:

Only air purifiers equipped with a HEPA filter are recommended. Air purifiers with a lower grade filter may not be as efficient in removing airborne viral particles or not remove these at all.
The size of the air cleaner device needs to be appropriate to the space it will be used in.
Consider the effectiveness of the device in removing particulates in the air. The clean air delivery rate measurements are based on the space and volume of clean air produced.

Air purifiers that use UV or ionisers are not recommended. UV aerosol disinfection can pose potential health risks and the installation of such devices requires extensive professional consultation.

Additional detail on considerations when purchasing air purifiers can be found in Department of Health guidance: COVID-19: Ventilation principles and strategies to reduce aerosol transmission in community and workplace settings

The Victorian government in Australia had air purifiers bought for all the public schools in the state, and encouraged natural ventilation also when the weather permitted it. Too bad this isn't a Australia wide initiative for all schools and daycare centers, or major public places, but give it time, it's only been a few years into the pandemic.

On another note, how have Aussie goons found accessing Paxlovid or other anti-virals when sick? I ask as I don't know how difficult the process is for people not in their 70s or who don't have a listed "pre-existing" condition, since the anti-virals are firmly gate-kept. A family friend who's in their 70s had Covid a while ago & became significantly unwell from initial symptoms in just a few hours. Most of the PCR testing places near them were shut down, so they couldn't get a definitive confirmation and their spouse didn't think they could handle a car ride. Their GP told them on the phone "You're elderly and therefore high risk, take a RAT right now: if it's positive, I will issue a TeleHealth script immediately, that your spouse can pick up from any pharmacy, take it as soon as you get it and do the full course."

Great news for younger people like me, especially since I had a major neurological event a few years ago, causing me to have permanent memory loss, concentration issues, motor control issues & nausea thanks to the location of the brain blood vessel rupture. I don't want any further brain damage, but then again, I'm not old, so who gives a poo poo what I think?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Livo posted:

On another note, how have Aussie goons found accessing Paxlovid or other anti-virals when sick? I ask as I don't know how difficult the process is for people not in their 70s or who don't have a listed "pre-existing" condition, since the anti-virals are firmly gate-kept. A family friend who's in their 70s had Covid a while ago & became significantly unwell from initial symptoms in just a few hours. Most of the PCR testing places near them were shut down, so they couldn't get a definitive confirmation and their spouse didn't think they could handle a car ride. Their GP told them on the phone "You're elderly and therefore high risk, take a RAT right now: if it's positive, I will issue a TeleHealth script immediately, that your spouse can pick up from any pharmacy, take it as soon as you get it and do the full course."

Great news for younger people like me, especially since I had a major neurological event a few years ago, causing me to have permanent memory loss, concentration issues, motor control issues & nausea thanks to the location of the brain blood vessel rupture. I don't want any further brain damage, but then again, I'm not old, so who gives a poo poo what I think?

I'm under 50 and I don't have any pre-existing conditions and pax wasn't even on the market at all when I caught covid for the first and only time several years ago, but if I caught it again I really don't like my odds of getting a script. I'd still give it a go though, can't hurt to ask.

On the other hand several people I know over 50 but under 70 had absolutely no problem getting pax through their doctors, but I know at least one of them has a looooong history of respiratory issues so they probably had pre-existing conditions locked in

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah you're not getting pax without paying ~$1000 out of pocket here, unless you get really lucky with your GP.

when my father in law got it last year ("on the plane back from fiji"; later he admitted he had symptoms a couple days before leaving fiji [lmao]), his GP set him up with a double course, the fauci special, completely unprompted. so i don't think there's a meaningful shortage or anything.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Steve Yun posted:

Plague Inc is on sale on PlayStation. Recommendable?

I put like a hundred hours into this back in 2015 when I was procrastinating writing grad school applications. Worth it. Great game. The Planet of the Apes scenario is hilarious fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baddog posted:

I think probably the biggest cause of vaccine hesitancy is the antivaxxers vocally blaming every goddamn thing on the vaccine, and since covid is just a cold now, being almost unchallenged. The government can't come out and say these increases in heart attacks and strokes are actually because of the loving virus that we knew from almost day 1 caused clots and worse.

There were ample examples of this on both sides the other day.

/r/Wellthatsucks: “Went to the ER with pins and needles over the entire right side of my body. Neuro thinks I had two Thalamic strokes. I’m 38.”

I’ll quote the “positive” side, but reader, I would like you to know that the zone is flooded with variations on “vaxxed???”

Someone asks

quote:

Hey I’m there with you. 2023 I achieved the best health ever. Had Covid early in 2023, ended the year catch myself having early blood cancer. Did you have Covid by any chance?

OP responds,

quote:

I’ve had Covid a couple of times, despite being vaccinated. That’s a disease that clearly fucks you up in all sorts of ways

Further comments from others:

quote:

Out of curiosity, did you have covid a couple of times or more? If you don't mind answering.

quote:

Had a similar incident at 35 and 3 bouts with Covid. Glad you’re out buddy!

quote:

Unfortunately, covid vaccines prevent the worst in the acute phase but seems to have very little long term protection. Take your health seriously moving forward, you’re definitely high risk now for future covid infections. If you can afford to buy them, get a bunch of masks and avoid it if you can

quote:

This. Several people I know including family member had Covid then got blood cancer but found super early on