Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

E-flat posted:

Reading the stuff about pests and pest control was really eye opening. I used to work for a food pantry as a warehouse manager, and more than once (though very rarely!) we’d find bugs in our bags of rice. I can’t recall the brand(s) other than we usually got our rice in one pound bags that had a red label, but mahatma and goya are familiar names.

We got most of our food from a local food bank. They gave our other warehouse pantry moths, and frequently would give us stuff past the best-by date. (Granted, those dates aren’t federally regulated or even required, but we still couldn’t give outdated food out.)

As a total rice novice who has been frustrated by gummy fried rice, the other parts of this thread have also been helpful. :chef:

The secret to fried rice is to use rice that has been cooked and cooled, ideally the day before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

VictualSquid posted:

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.
First and last time I had heard of the idea.

Being afraid of white rice has been a thing in low carb circles for a good while, just like they are afraid of pasta and white bread. It's not really anything special about rice in that regard. It's just another type of bad carb to them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

VictualSquid posted:

I remember one of the GWS questions threads had someone who was afraid that white rice will kill him with diabetes if he ate it every day. He was asking for ideas because he moved to some pacific island where everybody eats white rice every day and other starches were comically expensive.

If you eat only white rice, and practically nothing else, then yes, you can suffer certain vitamin deficiencies(thiamine deficiency aka "beriberi" is the classic), but like... if you eat something with the white rice, like just about any kind of sauce, some meat, maybe a vegetable, then no, there's no inherent risk to eating white rice instead of other starches. It's not something you're likely to encounter unless you have a very bizarre diet, or are in a refugee camp or war zone where eating an even slightly varied diet is a challenge.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When my spouse was diagnosed as diabetic, they were told by their doctor that they should avoid all rice and if they had to eat rice it should only ever be brown rice.

... I still eat a lot of white rice. I hate brown rice. No matter how careful we are there's always at least one hard gross hull in there. And it's not as good with an egg on top.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

White people are scared of dirty, indigenous foods. News at 11.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

White people are scared of dirty, indigenous foods. News at 11.
I don't think people wanting to eat whole grains has anything to do with that unless you also think that people think white bread is a dirty indigenous food

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Everett False posted:

When my spouse was diagnosed as diabetic, they were told by their doctor that they should avoid all rice and if they had to eat rice it should only ever be brown rice.

... I still eat a lot of white rice. I hate brown rice. No matter how careful we are there's always at least one hard gross hull in there. And it's not as good with an egg on top.

My son is diabetic and white rice is definitely the lot worse than brown from a GI perspective.

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

My son is diabetic and white rice is definitely the lot worse than brown from a GI perspective.
My impression is that glycemic index is kind of bullshit because it only applies if you're only eating a ton of that individual food with nothing else (which is what it is literally a measure of)

If you eat white rice with other stuff that has protein and fiber it will probably be the same as eating brown rice, and fat slows down digestion of carbs a ton so white rice + fat is going to have a way lower effective glycemic index than brown rice alone.

Not saying you should run out and eat a lot of white rice if you're diabetic and I'm not sure what the current state of the research is or whatever, but I'm not sure the gi index of individual foods actually matters to the degree that has sometimes been suggested.

Obviously if you're diabetic and are using a glucose meter or something you should probably just go by the actual results of that and if your glucose spikes more after white rice then it makes sense to eat brown rice or less rice instead.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 24, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
outside of those who have to manage blood sugar it's entirely a low carb/keto thing. carbs are the devil.

me i love the devil. hail satan.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

therattle posted:

I can’t give an exact amount but it needs more. Maybe 20%? I usually just eyeball it and it’s ok. Brown rice, to me at least, can take a lot of cooking and water, and I think is often served undercooked in a lot of places, which is, I think, why a lot of people don’t like it. It’s not cooked with enough water and it’s too tough. It can bear being cooked with too much water more than too little.

I’d be very curious to see if others agree.

A few days behind but yeah, more water. We eat a shitload of rice (what can I say, I like carbs). So much rice that I one day just gave up and weighed the 6-serving-cups of white rice (turns out to be almost exactly 32 oz) so I just do that by weight now.

We have a no-name brand rice cooker with a stainless steel insert so I can put that part that in the dishwasher. I only mention that in case it has some influence on the results, but I doubt it.

Anyway, when we do have brown rice, I put in 4 of the rice cooker cups but fill the line to 6 water and it comes out perfectly fine. So it's like 50% more water (plus some extra for less rice), but I trial-and-errored it over time and that was the right amount. With that much water in there, it splatters all over the place and makes a giant gluey mess of everything in the vicinity, so I put the whole cooker in the sink for the duration. Then, 40 minutes later or so, it's rice o'clock!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

uber_stoat posted:

outside of those who have to manage blood sugar it's entirely a low carb/keto thing. carbs are the devil.

You aren’t eating brown rice on keto, and it doesn’t have significantly fewer carbs than white rice.

mystes posted:

white rice + fat is going to have a way lower effective glycemic index than brown rice alone.
maybe, but that’s not apples to apples. Brown rice + fat + protein is lower GI than white rice + fat + protein. For bonus points, you can also make it, fridge it, reheat it before eating.

Anyway, brown rice is good and good for you. Fiber is important for everyone, even goons.

Bread Enthusiast posted:

With that much water in there, it splatters all over the place and makes a giant gluey mess of everything in the vicinity
add a tbsp of butter (or other fat) so it doesn’t foam like that

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

wat.... I could have been doing that all this time instead of using the whole sink.... dangit! I will try that next time - thanks, mysterious stranger!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
A tiny dab of butter improves rice in general.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Everett False posted:

I eat rice and I have diabetes, it does like to make the blood sugar spike so I gotta compensate by taking extra insulin. Making the food contain more fat also helps. Fat slows the release of sugars.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I had jaw surgery last week, and I was specifically told "no rice until all the stitches dissolve".

Apparently they've had issues with rice getting into the healing gums.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

I had jaw surgery last week, and I was specifically told "no rice until all the stitches dissolve".

I made that mistake as a teenager, a surprising amount of rice can get stuck. I managed to get it all out but lesson learned, surgeon was happy I got it all out but he did give a more thorough look than otherwise.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah. I forgot that once. Then the dentist pulled out a bloody grain rice from the wound and showed it to me, put me off eating rice for another week. That was before fully dissolving stitches became popular, though.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a big believer in the pasta method cooking for rice, including brown rice. Love white but if I want to be healthier, I'll do 30 minutes in boiling water, drain for a little, then put back in the pan off the heat, covered and let it steam for 5-10 minutes. Best I can do to get the texture palatable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I simply use a rice cooker OP

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I have to say, since using the water marker on the rice cooker bowl my rice has been waaaay nicer. The first time I filled to just below the marker and it was a little underdone, now I'm filling to the top of the marker and it's coming out perfect.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Holy cats this thing blew up in my absence!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I use a rice cooker and do the “first joint first finger” method of making sure I put the right amount of water in (I usually eat sushi rice). I have to switch to brown rice; is there a different technique for how much water I’ll need?

In my opinion, the best way to make brown rice is to soak it in cold water overnight, then add the same exact amount of water as you would for white rice, and throw it in the rice cooker. It'll cook in the same time as white rice.

IF YOU DON'T soak, then use 3 of the rice cooker cups, and fill the water to the 4 cup line, and you should be good to go.

VictualSquid posted:

The thing to understand about pilavs is that it is impossible to make it inauthentic. You can walk from Spain to Japan and have a different locally authentic pilav-style dish every day. Each is also inauthentic to the village you were in yesterday. And then do the same again including Africa or the Americas.
I'm not huge on authenticity policing, because at the end of the day, cooking is about making something that's delicious to you. Cook what you like, and ask for advice if what you're cooking doesn't come out as you like.

therattle posted:

I can’t give an exact amount but it needs more. Maybe 20%? I usually just eyeball it and it’s ok. Brown rice, to me at least, can take a lot of cooking and water, and I think is often served undercooked in a lot of places, which is, I think, why a lot of people don’t like it. It’s not cooked with enough water and it’s too tough. It can bear being cooked with too much water more than too little.

I’d be very curious to see if others agree.
My rice cooker has a separate set of lines for brown rice. :smug: But yeah, it's like an extra 20% or so if you're cooking brown rice direct from the bag. Else, if you soak it (as mentioned above) use the same amount of water as for white. Also, the texture is improved EXPONENTIALLY with an overnight soak.

Stoca Zola posted:

Rice update: the rice was open but a clip was sealing the bag. It’s Daawat Biryani basmati rice, looks yellow and smells nutty. Very long grains, couldn’t see any pests or broken grains. Lots of opaque white grains though, maybe 20%?

The vital statistics though, this is 2017s crop and was packed in 2020. The bag says it expired in October 2022 - two years after packing seems to be a pessimistic opinion of the longevity of this rice!
White rice, when stored properly, has a 30+ year shelf life. You're fine. The reason they put expiry/best by dates is as a reminder to the shop keepers to rotate out old stock. If a bag has been sat there long enough to clear its best by date, the shop's been sitting on it for too long, and they need to move it on out.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! I'll have to see what exactly "white sella" is and how it maps to what's being sold here (not the US) but seems like parboiled basmati would be better than regular one I've used, at least.

What's your opinion on the vermicelli that the Egyptians like to put in the rice? :thunk:
If you have an Indian or Middle Eastern market, you'll see the bags literally say "white sella" on them. Sometimes it'll even say 1121 White Sella Basmati.

1121 is the type preferred by Middle Eastern people, because not only is it super dry (and pilafs need a drier rice), it's also FREAKISHLY long. When cooked, you can get a good 21 mm out of that fucker. The milled white 1121 Basmati is 8 mm, which is a deadass 1 mm improvement over other varieties. And, because Middle Eastern food tends to be rougher on the grains, the parboiled (which produces much stronger grains) is always preferred. The "cheap" Basmati is called Pusa Basmati, is the stuff that you see in most brands as just Basmati Rice. If you want the more premium stuff, look for bags that say "Traditional" or "1121" Basmati. Traditional Basmati is the One True Basmati Omg, and cooks up fluffy and long and beautiful. 1121, as previously mentioned, is a crazy long grain, but isn't as fragrant as Traditional. Pusa is fine, I guess if you're not picky about flavour or aroma. OR FREEDOM. WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM.

But yeah. Be on the lookout at the Middle Eastern or Indian markets for the bags that say "Sella". If it specifies "Golden Sella", you're looking at the stuff that's been parboiled to hell and back. Avoid avoid avoid. That stuff is foul. If it says "creamy sella" or "White sella" or just plain "Sella", you're in good shape.

Also, here is an article about 1121 versus Traditional Basmati: https://thericejournal.springeropen...0Basmati%20370.

It's a real knee slapper.

for fucks sake posted:

Yeah I think it needs more water due to longer cooking time meaning more evaporation. I do most of my rice cooking in a pressure cooker these days, and because there's no evaporation the ratio of rice to water is pretty much always 1:1 regardless of the type of rice.
Please to detail your pressure cooker method.

E-flat posted:

Reading the stuff about pests and pest control was really eye opening. I used to work for a food pantry as a warehouse manager, and more than once (though very rarely!) we’d find bugs in our bags of rice. I can’t recall the brand(s) other than we usually got our rice in one pound bags that had a red label, but mahatma and goya are familiar names.

We got most of our food from a local food bank. They gave our other warehouse pantry moths, and frequently would give us stuff past the best-by date. (Granted, those dates aren’t federally regulated or even required, but we still couldn’t give outdated food out.)

As a total rice novice who has been frustrated by gummy fried rice, the other parts of this thread have also been helpful. :chef:
It's basically because the rice bag would have been breached. If it's airtight still, the chance of bugs growing is very slim.

TheParadigm posted:

I wanted to ask about this because i saw that it didn't get much attention and was just reading the thread

White rice wasn't demonized but msg was in the 90s and 80s. Do you think that had anything to do related food not entering the american staple/ culinary vernacular as hard as it otherwise would have?
Ehhh. I think all carbs got demonised at some point. Hell, people were rabble rousing about potatoes, and those are drat near a perfect food.

PokeJoe posted:

I remember white rice being seen as bad and brown rice being pushed for a few years but everyone immediately realized brown rice tastes like cardboard and takes too long to cook
See above about soaking overnight. The texture is improved dramatically when cooked after soaking. It still tastes like cardboard, but if your option is to eat brown rice or eat no rice at all, give the soaking method a shot. I flat out refuse to keep that crap in my house, but other people are allowed to do their own thing.

therattle posted:

Properly cooked brown rice is actually pretty good in certain uses. Short grain brown is quite delicious; it’s a good GF sub for barley. I use it with Japanese soups, for example, where it works really well.
Yah, short grain brown rice is rather nice.

Switchback posted:

Unless those friends are Malaysian (or Singaporean) Chinese, they can shove it. Uncle Roger is a national hero :colbert:
They are.

Switchback posted:

Seriously though this is a great thread. Thank you for making it. After many years of loving up rice, I finally figured out how to make jasmine rice and it comes out perfect every time. Maybe I can branch out now that I’ve read this thread (no I will not.)

If you've mastered Jasmine, I think you're ready to try Basmati. I believe in you!

Switchback posted:

How bad is this rice? It looks like every grain is broken and 30% are chalky. This is jasmine rice purchased in Australia, so we ain’t getting any higher quality product down here even if maybe it doesn’t have bugs..

Jesus gently caress. Is that rice, or is that some crap they scraped off the ground and shoved in a bag? That stuff is FOUL, my friend. Do not purchase again. Look for Thai Hom Mali rice. The export standards for Hom Mali are much much stricter than just "Jasmine rice". There is a large Thai population in Australia. Hell, there's a pretty healthy Southeast Asian population in general. Ever seen Luke Nguyen's Greater Mekong? Dude has bonus features on the DVD where he cooks up stuff in local peoples' kitchens right in Australia. If you haven't seen it, it's a wonderful series. He also does one on just Vietnam. It's on SBS if I'm not mistaken. Anyways. There will be a shop that carries the good stuff, and you might be able to find it if there's any Asian stores near you. Look for the stuff packed in a white bag of some sort, with elephant(s) on the bag. Then look for the green Hom Mali seal.

PokeJoe posted:

it still takes too long :colbert:
It can be done in 30 if you sooooooak ittttttt.

therattle posted:

Just change your timings! If I’m making brown rice it just becomes the first thing I do.
There you go. Be like TheRattle. He is great. Also, once cooked, brown rice freezes beautifully. Lay it out on a baking tray to cool down, then shove into zip top bags or delitainers, and throw in the freezer.

VictualSquid posted:

Listen. We can't be held responsible for people being dumb on the Internet. That's what the Internet is for.

therattle posted:

The secret to fried rice is to use rice that has been cooked and cooled, ideally the day before.
So I seen some of the premium/swanky Chinese places just use Basmati for their stir fried rice, because of how fluffy and separate it stays. I'm curious if it would work well with freshly cooked parboiled Basmati?

DekeThornton posted:

Being afraid of white rice has been a thing in low carb circles for a good while, just like they are afraid of pasta and white bread. It's not really anything special about rice in that regard. It's just another type of bad carb to them.
Yeah this right here is the thing.

PurpleXVI posted:

If you eat only white rice, and practically nothing else, then yes, you can suffer certain vitamin deficiencies(thiamine deficiency aka "beriberi" is the classic), but like... if you eat something with the white rice, like just about any kind of sauce, some meat, maybe a vegetable, then no, there's no inherent risk to eating white rice instead of other starches. It's not something you're likely to encounter unless you have a very bizarre diet, or are in a refugee camp or war zone where eating an even slightly varied diet is a challenge.
Mmhmm. All of this.

Everett False posted:

I'm with you, Everett.

therattle posted:

Listen to TheRattle. He's an amazing dad, who's had to juggle multiple dietary requirements for ages, and also we love him. So there.

mystes posted:

Obviously if you're diabetic and are using a glucose meter or something you should probably just go by the actual results of that and if your glucose spikes more after white rice then it makes sense to eat brown rice or less rice instead.
Yeah honestly, I'd say follow your doctor's advice, and not a bunch of nerds on the Internet. Of which I am one.

uber_stoat posted:

Hail seitan. Totally love carbs of all stripes. They are all good and valid.

Bread Enthusiast posted:

A few days behind but yeah, more water. We eat a shitload of rice (what can I say, I like carbs). So much rice that I one day just gave up and weighed the 6-serving-cups of white rice (turns out to be almost exactly 32 oz) so I just do that by weight now.

We have a no-name brand rice cooker with a stainless steel insert so I can put that part that in the dishwasher. I only mention that in case it has some influence on the results, but I doubt it.

Anyway, when we do have brown rice, I put in 4 of the rice cooker cups but fill the line to 6 water and it comes out perfectly fine. So it's like 50% more water (plus some extra for less rice), but I trial-and-errored it over time and that was the right amount. With that much water in there, it splatters all over the place and makes a giant gluey mess of everything in the vicinity, so I put the whole cooker in the sink for the duration. Then, 40 minutes later or so, it's rice o'clock!
There you go. Another method to sort out brown rice. I think the weighing of the rice is a freaking brilliant move, because it means you'll be doing it consistently every time.

Anne Whateley posted:

You aren’t eating brown rice on keto, and it doesn’t have significantly fewer carbs than white rice.

maybe, but that’s not apples to apples. Brown rice + fat + protein is lower GI than white rice + fat + protein. For bonus points, you can also make it, fridge it, reheat it before eating.

Anyway, brown rice is good and good for you. Fiber is important for everyone, even goons.

add a tbsp of butter (or other fat) so it doesn’t foam like that
Listen. I don't care if it has fibre. I'll get my fibre from the other million vegetables I'm eating. Let my rice just be rice, dangit.

Bread Enthusiast posted:

wat.... I could have been doing that all this time instead of using the whole sink.... dangit! I will try that next time - thanks, mysterious stranger!
Oil will also work.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I eat rice and I have diabetes, it does like to make the blood sugar spike so I gotta compensate by taking extra insulin. Making the food contain more fat also helps. Fat slows the release of sugars.
Curious. Do you have one of those insulin pump thingies, or do you have to stick yourself with a needle?

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, and they'll dig in and stay there.

Jyrraeth posted:

I made that mistake as a teenager, a surprising amount of rice can get stuck. I managed to get it all out but lesson learned, surgeon was happy I got it all out but he did give a more thorough look than otherwise.
That sounds like a horror story.

VictualSquid posted:

Yeah. I forgot that once. Then the dentist pulled out a bloody grain rice from the wound and showed it to me, put me off eating rice for another week. That was before fully dissolving stitches became popular, though.
I'm never eating again. Thanks.

GordonComstock posted:

I'm a big believer in the pasta method cooking for rice, including brown rice. Love white but if I want to be healthier, I'll do 30 minutes in boiling water, drain for a little, then put back in the pan off the heat, covered and let it steam for 5-10 minutes. Best I can do to get the texture palatable.
Pasta cooking method for rice is pro level stuff. Good on you!

PokeJoe posted:

I simply use a rice cooker OP
Same. They are fabulous.

Hyperlynx posted:

I have to say, since using the water marker on the rice cooker bowl my rice has been waaaay nicer. The first time I filled to just below the marker and it was a little underdone, now I'm filling to the top of the marker and it's coming out perfect.
I seriously don't know why more people don't use the drat marker. It's put there for a good reason! Just use the marker, people!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Love you too, dino.!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am low on basmati, and conveniently I was trying out a new kebab shop, which turned out to be amazing.

I asked the owner what basmati he liked, and he said "Ocean Pearl", as its a bit thinner, or lighter than some of the other basmatis. He did make a good point that sometimes when the rice is too big, you feel like you're eating too much rice, and you get feeling too full. I agree. Anyway, with that in mind, I headed over to the international (middle eastern / halal / Pakistani run, I think) market, where there were over a dozen from which to choose. I asked the shopkeeper what he liked, and he said that Ocean Pearl and Empire were the most popular, with Royal following. Therefore I chose Ocean Pearl based on the advice I'd received minutes earlier.

I get home and see that this thread has activity, so I open it up all excited about my choice driven by my local shop and restaurant crew and see

dino. posted:

But yeah. Be on the lookout at the Middle Eastern or Indian markets for the bags that say "Sella". If it specifies "Golden Sella", you're looking at the stuff that's been parboiled to hell and back. Avoid avoid avoid. That stuff is foul. If it says "creamy sella" or "White sella" or just plain "Sella", you're in good shape.

:smith: Ocean Pearl is Golden Sella. I bought a 10 lb bag (was really the only denomination they had), so its going to take me a while to get through it, but I wouldn't mind knowing what you feel is foul about it.

Tilda isn't available any longer, so I need to find a new good go to basmati. I'll go back and read some more and maybe just get a plain Sella next time.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dino. posted:

I seriously don't know why more people don't use the drat marker. It's put there for a good reason! Just use the marker, people!
I think it was probably because at the time I was finally getting good predictable results out of 1.5 water to 1 rice using the absorption method, having been raised on the pasta style method that was inconsistent and hard to get right, and I was scared of screwing it up. Or, possibly, I was like "but that line isn't 1.5x water, so it can't be right then :colbert:"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Earwicker posted:

its not a special setting or anything, you just turn the rice cooker on and use the heat of the plate to fry the rice in a little bit of butter first (or for fancy rice, butter with onions and cinnamon and curry leaves) and then once its very slightly browned you add the water and just let it do its thing

it should be like a really small amount of butter just enough to very slightly coat all the rice, any more and it will get greasy

edit: oh yeah i forgot sometimes rice cookers won't start heating up without the weight of the rice/water in there but you can just kind of press down on the plate with a spatula or whatever and it works

I haven't read all of the thread, so I'm not sure if this video has already been linked, but here is a cool video on how rice cookers work. Pretty cool actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTNhvDGbYI

I'm going to try the toasting method for rice sometime with butter and herbs. Sounds good. My recommendation is to add a basil leaf when boiling rice, it adds an easy extra flavor.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I was at my Sri Lankan friend’s house yesterday and she measured rice (basmati of course) with the knuckle method and cooked it in a glass dish in the microwave! It came out perfect. Modern life is amazing.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
What's the knuckle method? I searched the thread and couldn't find it

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Planet X posted:

What's the knuckle method? I searched the thread and couldn't find it
https://www.thekitchn.com/cooking-rice-do-you-use-the-first-knuckle-method-176988

It's not a great method but cooking rice is rather forgiving so it works as much as anything else does, mostly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dino. posted:

If you have an Indian or Middle Eastern market, you'll see the bags literally say "white sella" on them. Sometimes it'll even say 1121 White Sella Basmati.

1121 is the type preferred by Middle Eastern people, because not only is it super dry (and pilafs need a drier rice), it's also FREAKISHLY long. When cooked, you can get a good 21 mm out of that fucker. The milled white 1121 Basmati is 8 mm, which is a deadass 1 mm improvement over other varieties. And, because Middle Eastern food tends to be rougher on the grains, the parboiled (which produces much stronger grains) is always preferred. The "cheap" Basmati is called Pusa Basmati, is the stuff that you see in most brands as just Basmati Rice. If you want the more premium stuff, look for bags that say "Traditional" or "1121" Basmati. Traditional Basmati is the One True Basmati Omg, and cooks up fluffy and long and beautiful. 1121, as previously mentioned, is a crazy long grain, but isn't as fragrant as Traditional. Pusa is fine, I guess if you're not picky about flavour or aroma. OR FREEDOM. WHY DO YOU HATE FREEDOM.

Also, here is an article about 1121 versus Traditional Basmati: https://thericejournal.springeropen...0Basmati%20370.

It's a real knee slapper.

Ooof so there are different grades of Basmati rice like stainless steel alloys? Jeez now I have one more topic to get obsessed over, thanks!

But yeah there are Indian shops and probably some Middle-Eastern, certainly easier to find something than Central Asian here.

I use a measuring cup that came with the rice cooker :shrug: maybe using the scales would be even more consistent but this seems to be good enough.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

I use a measuring cup that came with the rice cooker :shrug: maybe using the scales would be even more consistent but this seems to be good enough.

Yeah this is how I’ve always done it. I just add X cups of rice and then add X*1.5 and call it a day. I never use the rice cooker line because I’m almost never cooking a ton of rice at once.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Planet X posted:

I am low on basmati, and conveniently I was trying out a new kebab shop, which turned out to be amazing.

I asked the owner what basmati he liked, and he said "Ocean Pearl", as its a bit thinner, or lighter than some of the other basmatis. He did make a good point that sometimes when the rice is too big, you feel like you're eating too much rice, and you get feeling too full. I agree. Anyway, with that in mind, I headed over to the international (middle eastern / halal / Pakistani run, I think) market, where there were over a dozen from which to choose. I asked the shopkeeper what he liked, and he said that Ocean Pearl and Empire were the most popular, with Royal following. Therefore I chose Ocean Pearl based on the advice I'd received minutes earlier.

I get home and see that this thread has activity, so I open it up all excited about my choice driven by my local shop and restaurant crew and see

:smith: Ocean Pearl is Golden Sella. I bought a 10 lb bag (was really the only denomination they had), so its going to take me a while to get through it, but I wouldn't mind knowing what you feel is foul about it.

Tilda isn't available any longer, so I need to find a new good go to basmati. I'll go back and read some more and maybe just get a plain Sella next time.

Ocean Pearl I've never heard of, but it looks like they're from Pakistan. I can't speak to how Pakistani rice is, because I've not eaten the stuff. The Pakistani folk I knew back in South Florida were buying the Indian Basmati. All the other brands you mentioned are indeed popular, because they're budget brands. Shopkeeper is thinking that you don't know what the good stuff is anyway, or that you'll balk at paying for the good stuff, so he sent you to the basic stuff. IDK why he let you walk out of there with freaking golden sella. That's a choice.

IDK, Golden Sella in my opinion cooks up lovely and long and separate as heck. The rice grains will never stick together. However, they are also a lot bouncier than your raw rice or steam rice. You have to be hella into that sort of thing to get it. However, the good thing is that the golden sella will be the strongest rice you've ever used. A lot of the Persian, Arab, African, Afghani, Pakistani, Bengali, or Caribbean recipes that call for long grain rice will come out perfectly. The grains will be long and perfect in shape, and they won't fall apart when you mix them with the various ingredients that those recipes call for. Whether it's Jollof Rice, or Tahdig, you're always going to have perfect grains. The downside is that it'll be fragrant, but not nearly as fragrant as the aged raw rice, and the grains will be a lot tougher than the softness you'd get from raw rice. It's a recipe versus texture thing.

If you're looking for the more premium stuff, veer on over to like Dunar Elonga (NOT the sella stuff in the jute bag, the white rice in the plastic bag).

mobby_6kl posted:

Ooof so there are different grades of Basmati rice like stainless steel alloys? Jeez now I have one more topic to get obsessed over, thanks!

But yeah there are Indian shops and probably some Middle-Eastern, certainly easier to find something than Central Asian here.

Oh there are several different varieties of Basmati, which is why you can go to an Indian market, and you see 10-lb bags of Basmati retailing for around $10 a bag, and then some that go for around $18 - $25 for the same 10-lb.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A vital question from outside the forums...

...but it does make me genuinely curious: rice grains do vary in size from cultivar to cultivar, what are the biggest and smallest rice?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

PurpleXVI posted:

...but it does make me genuinely curious: rice grains do vary in size from cultivar to cultivar, what are the biggest and smallest rice?

Rice gets polished down quite a bit to get from brown to white rice. So if you polish 70% of your normal rice away you get very small rice spheres. Those are mostly used for high priced sake, afaik.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Rice gets polished down quite a bit to get from brown to white rice. So if you polish 70% of your normal rice away you get very small rice spheres. Those are mostly used for high priced sake, afaik.

https://www.urbansake.com/sake-101/sake-classifications/

Correct. Some Japanese white spirits are made from distilling what could otherwise be sold as Junmai Daiginjo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PurpleXVI posted:

i am no expert but a quick search revealed these big bois to me. i need to get me some.

https://thericejournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s12284-018-0213-6

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

uber_stoat posted:

i am no expert but a quick search revealed these big bois to me. i need to get me some.

https://thericejournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s12284-018-0213-6

More like Pupa Basmati. How long does it take for rice to hatch into a butterfly?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Longest rice is indeed the 1121 Basmati I had mentioned. The shortest would be some type of Japanese short grain. Those grains are so stinking cute. They look like fat little balls of rice.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Switchback posted:

Dino what are your opinions about those pouches of rice you microwave for 90 seconds?

I’m not dino but I hate the plastic waste in those. I’d rather cook a load of rice and freeE portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Why not just eat minute rice if you're in a hurry. I grew up on that stuff.