Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

egg tats posted:

2 additions:

- The first screen transition in the game has you walk off a screen to the left onto another screen facing to the right. I promise this is the only time in the entire game that it breaks the 180 rule a

:rip: another poster taken from us too soon

egg tats posted:

I wrote the full post into the edit window, I just... didn't save it.

A few Astlibra additions:

- As far as I've been able to find, difficulty only adjusts numbers. I think this includes drop rates but there's no changes to the ending.
- Playing on hard, every single chapter felt like a huge difficulty bump, levelling out by the end. That's normal.
- The fast travel item mentioned above doesn't work while you're inside of a chapter, but any time you can access the scales in your house it will work.
- One of the craftable accessories in chapter 4 gives you another double jump. It's worth grinding to craft this before you start chapter 5.
- It took me like 3 chapters to realize this, but you can attack and move while an item is being used, so if there's an opening there's no reason to stop being aggressive while you heal.
- While you're using a possession skill all enemy attacks are nullified rather than hitting you - it's worth using a possession slot on something that keeps you transformed for a while just for the sake of healing

THIS IS A CHANGELING DO NOT TRUST IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

Anything for God of War Ragnarok? I've played and platinumed the first one but ages ago and barely remember anything about it.

There is a wiki page for it, although if you were searching for "Ragnarok" you may not have found it due to there being an umlaut in the title on the wiki:

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=God_of_War_Ragnar%C3%B6k

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else you would need to know but the tips on here were written before Valhalla came out so that's not covered.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Grandia XTREME:

Copy these settings in the video. If you did it wrong, you may get flashing images.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-3AspWpeE

There is an undub version that has decent VA. I'd pick that.

The game is split into four chapters of increasing difficulty and drops. I wouldn't linger on the three chapters since chapter 4 opens up with so much better stuff and half the game's text.

I may mention save-scumming, but you can get by without doing it at all, but chapter 4 will be very rough with what the game sells to you and randomly gives you.

RNG is used for just about everything except enemy formations. You fight an enemy and that group won't change.

Everything your guys take in their inventory and what they slotted in for magic and skills cannot be undone until you leave the dungeon and talk to an NPC. You can't switch out eggs or skills when you find them. You can throw them away if you want.

There are some places where items can reset by changing screens to manipulate the RNG. It also works on encounters so monsters may have 7 treasure icons with the best chance of getting special equipment or stat seeds.

Titto steals from monsters and his level must be high enough compared to the monster. Usually, anything less than 6 icons is common stuff. The treasure icon determines the tier you could steal or as a drop. Make him steal constantly so you can get skills and items to sell. You will need millions to get the best stuff that Juston has and I wouldn't be cheap about it since his game is tolerable with save-scums.

There is a strategy of farming items from enemies where you steal and then run away. The item will drop out of battle to collect and the encounter will roll another item. You will need Quick Feet and Speed skills on the escaping character to reliably farm. The larger enemies tend to have expensive drops and sometimes caps at 4 treasure icons.

The only way to increase your SP over 100 is with a certain skill or Seed of Moves. I'd give Evann all the Move seeds since he has an AOE and is mandatory.

Your SP resets to 0 when you leave the dungeon, enter town, or travel to other places using a portal.

The character Juston has an awful gambling game that opens up in chapter 4 and is made for abusing save-scumming. He is your money sink and you will need money for the superior weapons you can get for your guys. There is a guide on his prizes. He has the Spirit Ring and Shoes on rotation. The ring grants full immunity to all ailments and resistance to every element, plus a ton of stat ups.

Spirit equipment can be equipped only in chapter 4, where you get Limited Books and the Ultimate Vellum that unlocks Full Armor in the Vortex Corridor. There are some items named spirit, but no one will be able to use the Helmet, Shield, Armor, Shoes, or Ring. Anyone can equip their spirit weapons.

You can only hold 30 different items and some of them stack up to 10 times.

You get 24 Mana Eggs total. Same for Skill Books. You can't give them to everyone and put the rest in storage. The game will stop you from getting books/eggs unless you throw out another.

You can hold 100 skills before you can sell them off to get more. You can put the vellum in storage instead.

Ailment immunity is king in this game. I'd equip anything that protects from paralysis, sleep, and confuse, since those cost turns. Poison is just annoying. Certain spells and attacks will inflict status as a side-effect.

All enemies have a skill point timer. Don't worry about it until you fight bosses or mimics. Those will give you lots of points towards the more annoying skills to level. There are four kinds and the muscle and sword skills are easiest to level.

Have everyone level their Moves when you can to get new ones. Leveled Moves get stronger and act faster. The first skill always cancels attacks when an enemy is in the final phase and that will dominate bosses if you are fast enough and also use critical hits as a free cancel.

Combination attacks are easy to cancel and not useful at all.

You don't need to give everyone magic, but healing spells will always be good when out of battle.

Plan on having your guys specialize in mostly melee or magic. One character with 6 strength upgrades will finish battles much faster than 4 characters with 1-2. Your casters can reduce a boss down to nothing quickly while your melee are canceling its attacks. Cancel/critical the main body of multi-part bosses to affect the whole body. Each part of a boss you destroy besides the core gives additional skill points.

Each dungeon after the first has a mid-point teleport you can get back to, but all of them have a one way teleport to town.

The Tsunami Trough Ocean Cave teleport places you near a giant clam shell that always has something in it. You can farm it for many eggs and books to sell to the skill seller. Each chapter upgrades or changes what comes out of it.

Combining the same Mana Eggs results in less than the total mp value, but might give you upgraded spells and/or eggs with stars on them, which from 1-3 grants additional upgrades to spells for that combined egg. You need another egg with stars to get those upgraded spells. You can scum those upgrades by entering another building and going back, then scum several combinations. I would only bother if you have stars on an egg since the game may give you one upgrade point among six spells, other times you get 9+.

The skill maker sells items for points and you won't be using the Spirit Helmet until chapter 4 and only after doing around a couple dozen floors of Vortex Corridor while collecting Ultimate Vellums. Use those points on buying Soul Eggs and merging them a couple times. You get a powerful heal with 600+mp, which you can also combine with something else and get over 400mp on high level eggs for a few thousand points. Expect to buy a hundred Soul Eggs and nothing else.

You can't steal from bosses the first time they appear in a chapter and boss drops are not good. The atrium behind them will have three very random items you can save scum. The chapter influences the tier of those items, but you can still get useless junk.

The random dungeons may have tiles that light up and open a door. That door may have 1-3 healing items, but it isn't worth it unless you are struggling.

There is an optional super boss in Darkness Ruins.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 28, 2023

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

homewrecker posted:

There is a wiki page for it, although if you were searching for "Ragnarok" you may not have found it due to there being an umlaut in the title on the wiki:

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=God_of_War_Ragnar%C3%B6k

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else you would need to know but the tips on here were written before Valhalla came out so that's not covered.

I've moved the page and left a redirect behind. While I want to respect the nordic peoples, I don't want umlauts to cause problems for non-nordic peoples.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
thänk yöü

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Mediawiki should automatically use utf collations when performing searches, eg. ö is collapsed into o for the purpose of a search.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 28, 2023

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023
Updates for Front Mission especially for Remake / Switch / DS / PC. This is way too many words for a mediocre mobile port, but Front Mission has so much old JRPG "charm" that I was a bit lost on some things.

General

You lose the game if your main character goes down. Early on, focus your main character on Long (missiles) or Short (machine guns). Melee goes last in battle, so you end up taking more damage until you get certain skills. It’s a lot easier to round out your main once you acquire certain Skills.

Front Mission has a lot of classic game quirks. Difficulty spikes, hidden objectives, RNG, and grind. You should choose now whether you like failing and grinding to fix your builds, or using a guide to minimize do-overs.

Many missions in the first campaign don’t use all your characters. Grinding parts for characters past the mission limit is a huge waste of time.

For Legs. Move is almost always better than HP. Long is always short on ammo, so you’re always closing to point-blank range. The first campaign has one desert mission which telegraphs that it could benefit from tread-type legs. Otherwise you can usually stick with normal legs, as they handle unexpected terrain.

Attacking with Long avoids counterattack in campaign battles, so it becomes increasingly necessary on difficult missions. Short and Melee always invite counterattack unless you destroy the enemy’s Arms. Always save some Long (missiles) to soften up tough enemies before charging in. Especially if you can knock off an Arm or two.

Some missions have optional or required hidden items. This requires stopping your Wanzer on an exact, totally unmarked, square. You will see a popup once you End. Consider using a guide on the train mission unless you like the tension of desperate fumbling.

If you’re not used to locked isometric games, I find it helpful to tilt the controller to the side to match the screen until my muscle memory comes back.

First campaign. When you unlock the supply truck, you have to stop directly beside it to get the option to reload or repair. You can also heal very slowly, mostly useful as it can restore an Arm from 0 to 1, and then units can use their own Repair items. Missile boats love trucks.

Second campaign is more difficult, and doesn’t have supply trucks. Instead, you will unlock a character with a Riff backpack which turns them into a supply truck. Additional Riffs are available in stores but are quite expensive, and a huge handicap as they don’t grant much Power (aka Weight allowance). On higher difficulties and harder missions, a couple Riff characters running heals and reloads is mandatory.

New Game+ is mostly higher difficulties and secret items, and doesn’t carry across campaigns. Make sure you save your “Mission Clear” files toward the end of the list, otherwise you may have to scroll past it literally every time you play something else.

Experience

Characters get a small amount of XP for any action they take, including defending or missing a shot. They get a lot more for inflicting damage, and the most for knocking parts such as Arms and Legs off before finishing a Wanzer.

Dodge can only be increased by a set amount on leveling, or by guarding including Shield use. If your main is focused on Long and kept out of danger, you will be at high risk of Game Over in the late game. There will be story missions with limited squad size. Probably equip your main with a Shield and charge him into as much battle as he can handle. Or take some hits in the Arena.

Don't use a handful of your best characters to kill everything. There's a point of diminishing returns for XP. Let your weakest characters finish off disabled Wanzers.

Character skills are totally random. They tend to start rolling late in the game so it worries new players. They are coming. And they are totally unbalanced. Just level up and hope you get the screen to pick a good skill.

The maximum level for skills is MAX, after level 3.

Weapons and Damage

Ignore most Weapon descriptions, they’re fluff. Weapon damage and Range are all that matters. Damage will show multiple projectiles are fired per shot, like 1x20 or 5x4. Short weapons like Rifles with 1x damage are mostly useless until your character acquires the right skills, Duel and/or Switch.

Multiple shot weapons, especially early game, are much more likely to blow off parts or finish damaged parts, meaning more XP. This makes them good for mopping up Wanzers that have taken non-crippling damage to crucial parts.

Arms with integrated weapons are rarely the best choice.

Your Arm part often has better punch damage than the Melee weapons you have access to.

Aside from missiles, the only ranged weapons in the game are some grenade launchers which equip like rifles. They tend to have low hit rates so they are better as secondary weapons on crowded maps.

Until you get some specific skills such as Switch (Short) or Double (Melee), you only attack with one weapon per turn. You only have to worry about what’s equipped in the second Arm if your primary is blown off.

Lost with equipping your Wanzers? Fit the best Shield you can get on a shoulder. Put your best Short or Melee weapon in your Left arm so it’s first in the list. Even if your left Arm is unequipped to get the default punch Melee attack. Tweak things from here. Although Shields technically stack, it’s a very small effect, so you’re probably better off with even a weak Launcher for free Long XP.

You can unlock some Mobile Weapons (aka campaign bosses) by finding hidden items. In the first campaign they’re fairly strong but only for a few missions after you get them. In the second campaign some of them seem much more viable to the end of the (regular-difficulty) campaign. Guide them if you want them.

Arena

Most players do not love the Arena. It exists for grinding money, XP, and a few story beats.

When you bet. The game takes your money, then if you win, multiplies your bet by the odds before handing it back. If odds are 1.01x, a win only generates 1% profit. Only take low odds if you’re grinding for – and getting - good XP.

To digest Arena into one paragraph. The fastest cheese I found (for non-story fights) is to un-equip your main character so he has only one primary weapon (preferably Short). This drives the odds up, even though you can only fire one weapon per turn. You can usually find a (preferably Melee) target with decent odds which you can beat consistently. Be prepared to savescum RNG. Equipping worse parts for your Legs or off-Arm may also slightly raise odds, if you find someone you can beat but the odds aren’t great.

Remember disabling both Arms is a win and extra XP.

The best targets require knowing Wanzer part names. Especially in the endgame there’s always a pilot who has perfect skills but beginner parts.

Prepare for Arena to be grindy. A fight you win 100% of the time for a little cash may be faster than savescumming half the fights.

Note that if you’re grinding for XP, you can bet low, and your losses come with free Dodge XP. You can grind back the money faster than you lost it.

Cheesing the game.

There is no penalty for playing on the lowest difficulty. You can also skip a lot of grind because your squad doesn’t have to be perfectly optimized every mission. If you end up loving the game, you can always up the difficulty for NG+, and the second campaign is way more difficult on some missions anyway.

Guide (Long) and Duel (Short) are the best skills in the game by far, allowing you to target Wanzer parts. Switch (Short) is a close second, allowing you to shoot twice if both Arms have Short weapons. Duel + Switch can disable a Wanzer’s Arms in one turn, leaving no counterattack.

The secret Ziege rifle grants huge XP per shot, even if it misses. You should use it for quickly leveling new characters, or skip it if you like challenge. There is a Melee Arm in NG+ with the same effect. Guide it if you want it.

In missions where the enemy have supply trucks, and you blow off their Arms, they will usually run straight to the truck for repairs. You can allow them to repair, and get XP for blowing off the new arms. Repeatedly.

Tips for Front Mission 1st: Remake and DS.

DS and Remake. Aside from graphical updates. The games are mechanically identical* to the PlayStation version. Basically the only quality of life updates are options to skip movement and/or battle animations. (*Make sure to download updates to fix bugs.)

Remake. For the first campaign you can use the “modern” presentation to swing the camera so movements match the controller. The modern presentation also has remixed music. If you dig the isometric camera, you may prefer classic to hear the closer-to-original DS music. The second campaign only has Classic mode anyway.

Hidden items are on the same tile as they used to be, but the graphics changed. Most guides will say something like “look northeast (controller up-right) of the red truck”. And there is no truck, or it isn’t red anymore. You can figure out the changes by consulting playthroughs of the original game. This is the worst in the train mission, where the train has a different number of cars in the remake graphics, so the hidden item positions make even less sense. The tiles are still 1:1.

There are some additional secret missions with characters reappearing in other Front Mission games. If this is your first Front Mission game, people have made guides to explain the references.

DrBouvenstein posted:

In case someone else starts playing Disco Elysium soon, here's a little thing I didn't know (and no one in this thread told me about when I asked! <:mad:>)

To get more "thought spaces" unlocked, you have to use one of your skill points to open it up.

Thought Cabinet was opaque to me first time I played.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

RevDrMikey posted:

Updates for Front Mission especially for Remake / Switch / DS / PC. This is way too many words for a mediocre mobile port, but Front Mission has so much old JRPG "charm" that I was a bit lost on some things.

How should I create pages for this? e.g. is a single page on the wiki for "Front Mission" enough to handle all of these tips? Or are the original and remake different enough that they should get separate pages, etc.?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We have separate pages for the Resident Evils and their remakes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anything for Pentiment? There's no wiki page and it hasn't come up in the thread before.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Anything for Pentiment? There's no wiki page and it hasn't come up in the thread before.

Mostly I would say Pentiment is a "No, you don't need to know anything in advance."

The closest I would say is, focus more on your story and your answers than 'The Right Answer'.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ultrafilter posted:

Remember that you are just A Guy. And sometimes being just A Guy means you are not going to be a hero or detective who is going to figure everything out. Sometimes being just A Guy means you just have to give it your best and let the cards fall where they may.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Against the Storm:

- If it's not something that you can grow on fertile soil or derived from it, you'll run out of it eventually.
- Demolishing buildings returns 100% of the resources used for the construction.
- Camps can be moved for free. It can cost a bit to move other buildings, but it's instant.
- Poor logistics will kill you. As an example, if your cooks have to trudge across a fourth of the map to grab raw food from storage, they're spending more time walking back and forth than they are cooking. It's no wonder why you're running out of food.
- All warehouses are linked. Plop down small warehouses next your distant camps and farms and the goods put inside are instantly available at your starting warehouse, which you should be surrounding with buildings that refine basic resources into more advanced ones.
- Trade is vital. Not all resources are available on all maps, and some things, like Parts, you can rarely make yourself. You've got to trade to get what you can't produce locally. It's not a bad plan to start looking for a means to make packs of trade or luxury goods as soon as you've got your food and fuel sorted out.
- The larger a happy racial population is, the faster you gain reputation from it. Please your most populous races first, if you can.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 29, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tylana posted:

Mostly I would say Pentiment is a "No, you don't need to know anything in advance."

The closest I would say is, focus more on your story and your answers than 'The Right Answer'.

There are some things I could say, but ultimately I think it’s more satisfying to discover it on your own. The only tip I might give is that it can be worthwhile to do a lap and talk to everyone/visit every area in between major plot beats during the investigation phases just to make sure you don’t miss anything interesting/cool. Other than that though, it’s kind of like disco Elysium where it’s a narrative focused game in which failure is just another path forward, just make the choices that feel right and enjoy the ride imo

And gently caress mueller

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My only advice for Pentiment is that you should play the whole game

That might sound odd but I had to talk myself into not angrily quitting 2/3 of the way through the game, and I am glad I did not!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

My only advice for Pentiment is that you should play the whole game

That might sound odd but I had to talk myself into not angrily quitting 2/3 of the way through the game, and I am glad I did not!

Actually, this might be the best advice. I think I almost stalled out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through and I would have missed a lot of what the game has to say if I had.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Harvestella?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is probably something better suited to its own thread but if anyone fancies giving a quick 101 to the early game in Escape from Tarkov esp wrt what to look for in your first few runs that would be so sick

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Throwing these out there since it's the kind of thing that I always want to know when I see a game has a calendar:

Dave the Diver

- The in-game calendar system is only there for side activities, you can complete the main story at your leisure.

- Side activities will eventually recycle if you don't complete them before the deadline.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is probably something better suited to its own thread but if anyone fancies giving a quick 101 to the early game in Escape from Tarkov esp wrt what to look for in your first few runs that would be so sick

The absolute first thing you should be looking for are good medical supplies to stockpile.

Focus on completing quests first, since they give alot of unlocks and resources.

Early raids, especially in early wipe, you need to focus on surviving. Avoid firefights, (usually) avoid high value loot locations, extract early if you feel overextended. You'll snowball eventually, but not if your start is shaky.

Get some containers asap. They give lots of extra space for your stash.

Prioritize your hideout workbench so you can customize items fully.

An SKS is imo the best early gun to work on building up. Get a kobra mount and some micro sights, a silencer and larger mag.

Lastly, don't play this game, it loving sucks and will make you miserable.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Seriously good advice.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was SO inexplicably stoked for Escape From Tarkov when I first learned about it like what, a decade ago almost probably?

Then since it never hit Steam I completely forgot about it

And then last year I was like "holy poo poo that is still a thing? I should play it! ... wait I hate PVP games, why was I ever interested in this"

It did not, like, have some promise of a campaign once upon a time or anything did it? I just cannot understand why I ever wanted to play it now

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was SO inexplicably stoked for Escape From Tarkov when I first learned about it like what, a decade ago almost probably?

Then since it never hit Steam I completely forgot about it

And then last year I was like "holy poo poo that is still a thing? I should play it! ... wait I hate PVP games, why was I ever interested in this"

It did not, like, have some promise of a campaign once upon a time or anything did it? I just cannot understand why I ever wanted to play it now

Maybe because it was new and different? That's the game that started the "Extraction" / "looter shooter" sub-genre, right?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The absolute first thing you should be looking for are good medical supplies to stockpile.

Focus on completing quests first, since they give alot of unlocks and resources.

Early raids, especially in early wipe, you need to focus on surviving. Avoid firefights, (usually) avoid high value loot locations, extract early if you feel overextended. You'll snowball eventually, but not if your start is shaky.

Get some containers asap. They give lots of extra space for your stash.

Prioritize your hideout workbench so you can customize items fully.

An SKS is imo the best early gun to work on building up. Get a kobra mount and some micro sights, a silencer and larger mag.

Cheers! It's a nice change of pace from the other handful of extraction shooters I've been playing lately; as an aside, what about it makes you miserable? Seems p fun so far

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Cheers! It's a nice change of pace from the other handful of extraction shooters I've been playing lately; as an aside, what about it makes you miserable? Seems p fun so far

Report back when you lose your 10th full kit to a hacker or rat

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I've been playing online PVP games for most of my life at this point so I'll probably be ok 😅 Thanks all the same!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Random Hajile posted:

Against the Storm:

- All warehouses are linked.

They are what?! I've got a dozen or so hours in the game and somehow completely missed this :tipshat: Thanks for the tips!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
More Against the Storm stuff:

- There is no real penalty for losing a game. Don't stress too much.
- While you're never forced to do so, the metagame structure sort of expects you to move up in difficulty as you win more games and get more upgrades. Try bumping the difficulty next game if you're winning comfortably.
- When you're still learning, keep an eye on the Forest Hostility meter and what makes it go up and down. On lower difficulties Hostility is barely a threat and grows much more slowly, so it's easy to forget about it. On higher difficulties it will kill you. Managing Hostility is key to winning on higher difficulties, so learning its ins and outs early on is very helpful.
- It can seem tempting to open the "safe" glades first, but Small Glades are almost never worth the Hostility they generate unless it's super-early or you have an Order to open glades of any type. If you need to expand or are in need of resources, open a Dangerous one.
- Remember that higher Impatience makes Hostility go down. There are times when it can be worthwhile to force-call a trader, or wait to turn in an Order or a Reputation-gaining event, to keep yourself under a Hostility threshold.
- Debuffs for failing to deal with a Dangerous/Forbidden event in time are not permanent unless you see a red ! next to them. However, the events don't end when the clock runs out--they repeat. If you wait too long then those temporary debuffs will start doubling and tripling.
- When you start dealing with Blightrot, you only need one Purging Fire per cyst. For some reason this is never spelled out anywhere.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 7, 2024

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Talos Princple 2 notes:

- You will return to New Jerusalem, so if you want to put off exploring and just start doing puzzles from the off, you can. (But you really should explore to get more out of the story). However you can't go back there whenever you want, so just be aware of that.

- No puzzle requires anything more than is in the room, and everything has a 'simple' solution. If you're trying to get cute with item positioning or jumping around trying to exploit the landscape, you're likely missing something.

- Puzzles can be solved without using all equipment but generally speaking no puzzle outright misdirects you - if there's something in a room it's useful by at least one definition of a solution.

- That said, lots of puzzles can be 'solved' by weird interactions or straight up glitches, and the game doesn't care if that's how you do it. It's hard enough as it is, so take your wins where you can get them.

- The puzzles tied to shrines very clearly say that this is not the case and expect you to be thinking outside the box.

- You only need eight of ten puzzles on each level to proceed, and the two forgotten/hidden puzzles on each level are not necessarily harder than the previous ones (they're essentially just more puzzles). So if you're stuck, take a look at them.

- If you use a terminal inside a puzzle and spend a Prometheus spark, this auto-solves the puzzle. So if you were after a hint or something more gentle, be aware that this isn't that.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Anything for Langrisser (I+II)? (steam release; any differences?)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Major Ryan posted:

Talos Princple 2 notes:
- If you use a terminal inside a puzzle and spend a Prometheus spark, this auto-solves the puzzle. So if you were after a hint or something more gentle, be aware that this isn't that.

Worth noting that there is no achievement, plot point or other extrinsic reward to NOT using Prometheus sparks. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. If you want to redeem a spent spark, you'll need to complete the puzzle you spent it on "for real".

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Besides what's in the BeforeIPlay, anything I should know for Darklands? Finally giving this game a real try after bouncing off of it a few times. I know the initial idea is to be a group of German Batmans and beat up the poor and dispossessed in alleyways to earn cash. I read somewhere to stay off the roads until I get better armor?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Besides what's in the BeforeIPlay, anything I should know for Darklands? Finally giving this game a real try after bouncing off of it a few times. I know the initial idea is to be a group of German Batmans and beat up the poor and dispossessed in alleyways to earn cash. I read somewhere to stay off the roads until I get better armor?

I didn't get far enough in the game at any point to say anything else useful, but I can absolutely say that is good advice.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I think I have a huge bunch of advice saved on the other computer that should totally go in the wiki but hasn't for some reason.

One thing that pops out for now is: do read the manual, especially the keybindings. Darklands has surprisingly good UI for its age, but you're supposed to use the mouse AND the keyboard and the part about no explanations and no tooltips is on par with the times.

Also, don't overdo aging at character creation, or you'll end up with a wizened sage who might know everything but dies to a loud sneeze.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 25, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Pierzak posted:

I think I have a huge bunch of advice saved on the other computer that should totally go in the wiki but hasn't for some reason.

One thing that pops out for now is: do read the manual, especially the keybindings. Darklands has surprisingly good UI for its age, but you're supposed to use the mouse AND the keyboard and the part about no explanations and no tooltips is on par with the times.

Also, don't overdo aging at character creation, or you'll end up with a wizened sage who might know everything but dies to a loud sneeze.

Awesome, if find it let me know! The manual is really, really good; I actually read through the entire thing, even the flavor stuff in the back. Pretty interesting stuff. I knew about the aging thing from a separate attempt, so thankfully I won't be running into that unless all of my studying at the inn and Bat-capades age me terribly

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Curse of the Sea Rats
  • During the end game, fast travel is turned off. So if you want to wrap up side quests and optional bosses, do it before you fight Flora Burn for the first time in the temple.
  • Caveat: there is a way to turn fast travel back on during the end game, but you have to beat 8 specific bosses, talk to a specific character after beating those 8 bosses, and then talk to her again before you fight the "true ending" end boss.
  • There are 4 different endings that depend on specific side quests and optional bosses being completed / not completed. Look a guide up if you want to see them all because it's easy to inadvertently complete something and miss out on an ending.
  • The merchant only ever exists in one spot on the map. It's marked on the map where his current location is.
  • There is a treasure chest that you're more than likely to find towards the end of the game that contains a map of all the buried treasure, so you don't really need to worry about marking the locations on your map. You won't uncover the ability to dig buried treasure until 2/3 of the way through the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Harvestella?

Ok I finished the game and it’s mostly pretty straightforward but I have two:

- it’s a good idea to complete chapter 3 early before spending too much time on side quests. doing the 4 crystal dungeons will unlock fairies, which unlocks new completion objectives in the fairy books. Being able to see what they are early on is convenient for planning to complete them, since they involve growing seasonal crops.

- there’s a well on the south side of your farm. Go take a look at it during quietus.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

More Against the Storm stuff:

- When you start dealing with Blightrot, you only need one Purging Fire per cyst. For some reason this is never spelled out anywhere.
I assumed they worked that way with how the fires/cyst count is displayed at the blight fighting building, though my experience with it has been that you may want to overbuild by a few fires anyway since new cysts can spawn during the storm and then your blight fighters need to spend their limited burning time on manufacturing more.

Some more Against the Storm
  • The firekeeper assigned at your initial hearth gives a bonus based on their race, described when you mouseover their profile after assigning them. Humans slow the queen's impatience build up, beavers reduce hearth fuel consumption, lizards give a small global resolve bonus, harpies increase item carrying capacity and foxes reduce hostility by an amount based on how many glades were opened up. Harpies are the most generically useful, but expect to shuffle firekeepers around mid-game based on situation.
  • Most recipes in this game are flexible with ingredients, but biscuits and pies will specifically need flour. You can't produce flour on your own unless you pick a building that can make it during one of the blueprint choices, so keep that in mind when sorting out food.
  • This is one of those games I would say to never stop poking at the UI, there's a lot of info and stuff going on but not every tool gets explained. Some useful ones:
    • For which resources are on a given map, the overworld map will show it on the Conditions tab for the left side panel. While managing the town, it'll be shown in the Esc. menu and mousing over the little icon next to the portrait when picking blueprints will show it too.
    • Holding ALT will show assigned workers and racial bonuses for every building and let you swap them around more easily. Scroll wheel will change the race being assigned with left click and right-click empties the slot.
    • The book in the upper right is the recipes tab. This'll let you browse recipes you have access to, so you can do things like set global limits on goods you don't need an infinite number of or manage production buildings without having to find the building on the map first.

Pseudoregalia
- A ways into the game, you'll run into a place called Tower Remains with a locked gate and sign saying something about three suns needed to pass. It looks like a final boss door that requires collectable McGuffins to unlock, but the real one is actually a little ways inside the tower. There's a side path to get past the front gate and a mandatory movement upgrade inside to pick up.

yook fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 29, 2024

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Anything for Metal Gear Acid 1 or Metal Gear Acid 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

* Read the first half of the clue book; it's more like a more in-depth manual and goes into really deep detail on all the systems of the game like character creation, combat mechanics, what amenities are available in what towns, etc. The second half covers quests which you can skip if you don't want to get spoiled.

* When creating characters, prioritize Strength and Endurance as that's what keeps you alive. You don't want below 30 in either. Other stats you don't want below 20 or so. You'll want one character with 30+ Charisma as the "face" of your party, another with 35+ Intelligence to be an alchemist, and maybe a character with 25-30 Perception. Agility is great to have but it's kind of a dump stat.

* It's best to spend skill points during character creation on skills that are harder to train in-game. There are some exceptions (e.g. Healing/Artifice) but as a rule of thumb, the further down a skill is on the skill list, the harder it is to train.

* Skill-wise you want one religious character, one healer, one artificer, one "face" (high Charisma/speech skils) and one alchemist. They should all be able to fight, though stat-wise you might have to dump your End/Str a little bit for your Alchemist since they need lots of Int (and ideally, Chr)

* You want only one character with Healing, as only the character with the highest skill level counts.

* The sweet spot for character age is 30-35 to start adventuring. You take some very minor stat penalties for starting at 35 but not overwhelming. You do not take stat penalties for aging once you're out adventuring.

* This is a game where you need to keep notes. There's no quest log so every time you take a quest, take note of who gave you the quest where and what you need to do.

* Similarly, what saints/alchemy recipes/ingredients are available in which towns is randomized each game; take notes as to where they are. It's no fun searching the entire world for one of the two towns that sells Manganes when you need to mix some Sunburst potions.

* As mentioned, the best thing to do early in the game is to run around the back alleys at night and beat up thugs. You'll build weapon skills very quickly this way. Try to run/avoid guards since you're violating the curfew.

* Another good thing to do early in the game is sit around and do odd jobs for money. Raising cash is very difficult at the start of the game and you have plenty of time.

* Stick to your starting town for a while until you have better skills, weapons and armor. You might not be ready to leave for several months but that's OK.

* Once you're sufficiently tough that bandits are no problem, you might want to think about taking on Raubritter quests from merchant houses. When a Raubritter is terrorizing an area you can usually get the quest to kill him from multiple people in multiple towns nearby. To maximize your profit, don't kill him until you've gotten several people willing to pay you for it.

* The #1 way to make money is mixing and selling potions, but you'll need to get fairly established before you can start trying that.

* There is an overarching main quest but it's not immediately obvious how to start it. Keep an ear out for rumors about witches' covens and gatherings of Satanists. Don't attempt the quest until you're really ready though. Same thing applies if you hear about any dragons.