Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

literally anyone who has seen the movie and then played alpha centauri :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Good thing everyone's income went up commensurately in that time period

mine did. yours did too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my bad, I've seen the error of my ways, housing is more affordable than ever now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my bad, I've seen the error of my ways, housing is more affordable than ever now

thanks for the apology

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Expecting a huge downturn in the housing market isn't going to probably happen to an extent, because it already did, it is just was done by inflation. The longer housing prices stay flat or slightly drop, it is going to keep relative prices not off from 2017-2019 prices and slowly going lower.

There is still a relative wage gap, but really the big issue is mortgage rates.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jan 30, 2024

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah like, the thing I just thought is that they'd just stuff multiple families into a house, but then I realized that conflicts with the atomization of society, some nice they have fought tooth and nail to make no one tolerate not being next door, much less in the same household.

Either they force people to combine or they fail to get revenue from them above their income.

Edit: and it's not like people will suddenly have more money or make more products if they have to rent.

thechosenone has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Jan 30, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thechosenone posted:

Yeah like, the thing I just thought is that they'd just stuff multiple families into a house

in 2024 america? are u high?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

i am harry posted:

(i feel obliged to remind everyone and anyone that this gif is from the movie Baraka and was stolen, in addition to lots of other clips, by Sid Meier for Sid Meiers Alpha Centaur with zero credit given)

Steal everything.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

super sweet best pal posted:

Steal everything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Imo poo poo is so hosed

https://x.com/asheville/status/1752276726791479341?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

what everyone didn’t get a raise in there income by that much or more?!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I agree. See also my series of articles pushed by MSN about why living in a coffin sized apartment for a mere $100 a night is actually a good thing and very liberating & progressive. Possessions are so old school, am I right? In fact owning more than one set of work clothes (or clothes at all) marks you as bourgeoisie and thus eligible for street decapitation by the nearest lynch mob.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1750570546964676786

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s krugmans worst tweet and has had a lot of bangers

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Inflation is still well above its historical average and past the Fed's target, so...it really isn't. Krugman has become the Biden administration's jester.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe he meant the fed interest rate

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

maybe he meant the fed interest rate

The Fed hasn't changed its rates though. Also, while there is relatively high GDP growth, it is unclear how sustainable it is looking at consumer debt and growth inventories. It is true that the country isn't in recession but unemployment and manufacturing are pretty weak and inflation is still above where they want it.

The country isn't on the brink of collapse, but it isn't a goldilocks economy either.

-----

Also you are still seeing higher rents being pushed up because mortgage rates are so high, which means housing is starting to lag behind inflation on one hand, while affordability is getting worse. This is eventually going to cause created issues for consumption.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1751999255189799147?t=OYoelibDcD4zEIR0u5SFyw&s=19
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1752292941849137249?t=ZHrxsl9dThBJxgvzEwNshg&s=19
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1752293673771962571?t=h4GruZf_WBD8ZjVWjY383A&s=19
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1752293160938520984?t=K8qklA9hVRiZNI0Im6wEbg&s=19

Anyway one of the goveners for the ECB talked about rate cuts and when they start the cuts will go slowly. Wouldn't give an exact date. He was just teasing the markets. A little footsie.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Ardennes posted:

Inflation is still well above its historical average and past the Fed's target, so...it really isn't. Krugman has become the Biden administration's jester.

Krugman has always been the Democratic Party stooge, hasn't he? This is nothing new. He carries water during D admins and poses as the enlightened opposition during R admins.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anonumos posted:

Krugman has always been the Democratic Party stooge, hasn't he? This is nothing new. He carries water during D admins and poses as the enlightened opposition during R admins.

Absolutely, it is just now he is in full costume, prancing around, and then making fart noises after falling on the ground.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

what everyone didn’t get a raise in there income by that much or more?!

It’s getting to the point Asheville restaurant workers are going to get bus fare because there’s no affordable housing near downtown.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1751991590523179504

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That would take much lower oil prices to occur. Higher oil prices mean higher relative inflation and rates. Outright war in the Middle East isn't helping things.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not too worried about oil prices these days considering the US has become the global #1 producer. Sucks for Europe tho

RE housing chat, my advice would be not to include your primary residence in your net worth. It might help with end of life care but otherwise you should not include it for retirement planning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shrike82 posted:

I'm not too worried about oil prices these days considering the US has become the global #1 producer. Sucks for Europe tho

RE housing chat, my advice would be not to include your primary residence in your net worth. It might help with end of life care but otherwise you should not include it for retirement planning

im way ahead of you. i dont own my primary residence

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the EIA forcasted the Permian fields will already level off this year and it is showing up in international prices. The fields are only so big and horizontal drilling is only going to go so far if the total rig count is decreasing.

As for net worth and property, I guess in terms of retirement. You just don't want to be stuck in a condo in a larger urban area where you are paying through the nose in HOA fees and taxes while losing versus inflation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Housing will go up when rates start being cut. We saw a bit of a preview when mortgage rates started going down again causing shelter to jump again.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
do not rely on number for end of life care

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Housing will go up when rates start being cut. We saw a bit of a preview when mortgage rates started going down again causing shelter to jump again.

Theoretically it will, but if inflation is being stubborn, so will higher rates. In Q4 2023, there was a drop in oil prices, and mortgage rates followed up now they have leveled but if not are slightly coming back up.

It is why screwing around in the Middle East is such a terrible idea at this point if you are trying to win an election.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

After seeing 200 grindset landlords on social media give this same speech I'm ready for a great depression

Bro just buy houses no matter the interest rate. They are going to double in value in the next 12 months. By 2025 the property you are buying for 600k is going to be worth 3 million. 5 million. Potentially 10 billion dollars. You do not have to worry about finding tenants to pay a $20,000 a month mortgage on a formerly condemned flip.

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Jan 30, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Theoretically it will, but if inflation is being stubborn, so will higher rates. In Q4 2023, there was a drop in oil prices, and mortgage rates followed up now they have leveled but if not are slightly coming back up.

It is why screwing around in the Middle East is such a terrible idea at this point if you are trying to win an election.

Fed and ecb are already being wishy washy on length of "high rates"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Fed and ecb are already being wishy washy on length of "high rates"

They are as wishy washy as the data. If oil prices are pushing prices up, they only have so much leeway. Theoretically, time would "catch up" with prices but if oil fields in the US are under more pressure and there is more instability internationally, it is only going to work against that.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:24 on Jan 30, 2024

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

do not rely on number for end of life care

The trick is to die quickly. Won't need no end of life care then.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJbusiness/status/1752335415988691159

Hell yes love my stronk economy.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
how long will it take for people to learn that you need to phone it in doing the bare minimum, you're gonna get cut regardless when the axe starts to fall. how can we teach the zoomers that working hard benefits your boss not you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s about 2% if it’s workforce for context . which seems pretty substantial

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

how long will it take for people to learn that you need to phone it in doing the bare minimum, you're gonna get cut regardless when the axe starts to fall. how can we teach the zoomers that working hard benefits your boss not you

send them the "ricky gervais principle" article

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MSN/status/1752338518293016934?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

one thing UPS does is take anybody relatively young that has "good performance" and moves them onto the management track. The reason they do this is is two-fold: 1. they don't want Teamsters getting a steady supply of competent, young blood getting pumped into their organization, and 2. it turns those union jobs into non-union employees that can be cut when profits are down, even tho you can still use them for your day to day truck work in a pinch since they know how to do it and are young and stupid enough to just do it without having to be asked twice (even tho you're not supposed to tee hee!)