Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

looks normal to me weather man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MightyBigMinus posted:

we're all hosed, but the heatwave rolls from the south up over the course of 30 - 50 years. they're hosed *first*. we get to go to work and watch it on the news for a bit.

lol they excluded the hot models from the ar6 findings because, you know, surely not right

guess which models are verifying

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
but why hot models?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

but why hot models?

too provocative

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Just booked a holiday to Greece in July, posting this in here so I can quote this in 6 months when the islands are on fire again and the pavement is hot enough to melt shoes.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

but why hot models?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao I'm taking a, uh, horse and buggy out to Colorado next week to visit my brother and the highs are in the mid 40's all week, and they're going to be in the low 40's with some rain next week

Normal late January/early February weather for the Rockies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmao I'm taking a, uh, horse and buggy out

Car Hater can tell when you're lying

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Took the thought right out of my brain

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Microplastics posted:

Car Hater can tell when you're lying

Neigh

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Car Hater posted:

It's pure vibesposting but I'm not sure I buy that hype. Every time I go anywhere in the Midwest or upper central states the past couple years it's either too wet or not enough wet, plus or minus a bunch of heat and wildfire smoke

poo poo are be hosed

We had multiple harvests in Europe devastated because of it being too wet in winter then too cold in spring and too hot and dry in summer. I live in the breadbasket of England and before Xmas we had farmers with tractors stuck in fields, with the crops, because of mud you’d only see in Ukraine. Spuds and carrots and other Crimbo dinner veg was rotting where it grew.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Had a nice walk outside yesterday in shorts and a T-shirt. A beautiful 72 degree day at the very end of January. Who says climate change is bad?!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The lows for the next two weeks are roughly double where they should be and the highs are about ten degrees warmer and in the last two days I've had two people tell me that they don't understand why it's so cold.

Between this and COVID I feel like my whole life is just a series of increasingly bright gaslights. I'm getting a head start digging a trench for a new garden fence because it's January and the ground in CT is not frozen at all. It won't matter because the sun will probably cook all our plants this summer anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

we had farmers with tractors stuck in fields, with the crops, because of mud

:pathetic:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
People who want warmer winters have no loving idea how disgustingly muddy everything becomes when the temperature just endlessly hovers around 35-45 and it rains all the time. Two of my neighbors have already done pretty substantial damage to their lawns because they're used to letting guests park on them in the winter. I had to help one neighbor get two cars unstuck on Christmas lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

yes life in the modern world is a series of increasingly bright gaslights. their luminosity will increase faster than expected, and for longer than you can remain solvent

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZpaWOLjWx0

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

just ordered some molokhia seeds the other day, supposed to be a good hot weather vegetable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXa7pL7JCBg

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Car Hater posted:

It's pure vibesposting but I'm not sure I buy that hype. Every time I go anywhere in the Midwest or upper central states the past couple years it's either too wet or not enough wet, plus or minus a bunch of heat and wildfire smoke

poo poo are be hosed

Yeah that might reflect accurate long-term trends but we're still going to get these spikes and domes and they are going to get bigger and more intense and kill everything even while "average" temperatures remain slightly above normal

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

lol they excluded the hot models from the ar6 findings because, you know, surely not right

guess which models are verifying

this is the annoying thing about edgelords, they're too dumb to understand even when you're agreeing with them so they have to blurt out their new favorite jargon as if they'd one upped you.

the 30 in my 30-50 *is* the hot models. the ar6 graph timelines (even ssp5) are the 50.

none of the ECS values change which way is north and which way is south.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

This is the warmest I've ever seen it and nobody is saying anything lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what is there to say? we all know what's happening

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dokapon Findom posted:

This is the warmest I've ever seen it and nobody is saying anything lol

the news was like "well we're outta THE DEEP FREEZE for now" like it's normal to be totally thawed. In normal years "the deep freeze" would be cold enough your pets could die going outside

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
a conversation i had recently

me: man, it's such a warm winter and everything is loving out of whack and nobody is panicking
them: panic? why? that doesn't sound useful
me: "useful" is not the point. the point is that if people really understood the severity of the situation, and how this mild winter is a harbinger of terrible things, there would be widespread panic
them: why isn't "useful" the point? aren't you interested in tangible solutions that will be politically viable?
me: im interested in swerving the car so we can avoid going off the cliff, man
them: oh so you're not being serious about any of this, got it

and then i got accused of turning every conversation about the weather into climate doomerism lol

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
If you have an emotional attachment to the absence of suffering, you're not a serious person.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The only way to really get people to interrogate what's going on is if you premise it with "Do you think it's at all strange that-" or "Do you ever remember-" (unprecedented thing that has never happened before) they won't get it right away but the gears will start turning for them internally

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Dokapon Findom posted:

The only way to really get people to interrogate what's going on is if you premise it with "Do you think it's at all strange that-" or "Do you ever remember-" (unprecedented thing that has never happened before) they won't get it right away but the gears will start turning for them internally

i pointed out that MN is having an extremely warm winter and they said "well 2012 summer was like this too"

i checked and that doesn't seem to be the case, which led me to believe that people will gladly alter their own memories and flat out forget things in order to tell themselves that things aren't actually that bad

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Last week when we hit 80F I made the unfortunate mistake of reading the comments on an article about it from a local paper. Every single one was some boomer or older going "felt great to me, keep 'em coming!"

We're all going to die.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The song Sleeping In was released in 2003 on the album titled Give Up

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

quiggy posted:

Last week when we hit 80F I made the unfortunate mistake of reading the comments on an article about it from a local paper. Every single one was some boomer or older going "felt great to me, keep 'em coming!"

We're all going to die.

well, there is one piece of good news, which is that those boomers and olds will die first

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

well, there is one piece of good news, which is that those boomers and olds will die first

:blessed:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Only tangentially related I finished reading How to Blow Up a Pipeline and hey that's a pretty good book that folks should read if they haven't

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

me: man, it's such a warm winter and everything is loving out of whack and nobody is panicking
them: panic? why? that doesn't sound useful
me: "useful" is not the point. the point is that if people really understood the severity of the situation, and how this mild winter is a harbinger of terrible things, there would be widespread panic
them: why isn't "useful" the point? aren't you interested in tangible solutions that will be politically viable?
me: im interested in swerving the car so we can avoid going off the cliff, man
them: oh so you're not being serious about any of this, got it

and then i got accused of turning every conversation about the weather into climate doomerism lol

When they ask for actionable suggestions you shrug and say :killing:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Never investigated it because why would I ever put something like that in my search history :nallears:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Dokapon Findom posted:

Never investigated it because why would I ever put something like that in my search history :nallears:

You have 10 pages of posts in this thread, you're already on The List

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

love this for you specifically

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

They lived long enough to gently caress everything up but they get to die before things get bad. That's not good news, it's just more proof that there is no justice in this universe.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Car Hater posted:

You have 10 pages of posts in this thread, you're already on The List

I'm already on it for my posts in another thread, but I do love how stupid the idea is of titling your creative work Actionable Crime (And How To Do It) if you aren't a punk band

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

*keynesianishly* in the long run, we are all dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quiggy posted:

We're all going to die.

when it's 120 out and the boomers stop posting for some reason, you can say the same thing