Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Manoueverable posted:

I do appreciate that this has happened exactly once in most of the major sports, it's like the leagues agreed "okay, now that we have a fun trivia question/answer out of the way, let's never do that again"

There were big time debates about Lebron getting finals MVP on one of those teams that lost to the Warriors.

I wouldn't have complained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

CMC should be MVP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Manoueverable posted:

I do appreciate that this has happened exactly once in most of the major sports, it's like the leagues agreed "okay, now that we have a fun trivia question/answer out of the way, let's never do that again"

It’s happened 4-5 times in the NHL and it’s usually a goalie who looks utterly shell shocked.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fartknocker posted:

It’s happened 4-5 times in the NHL and it’s usually a goalie who looks utterly shell shocked.

JS Guigere winning the Conn Smythe when his Anaheim Ducks lost to the New Jersey Devils is what I'll always remember. Also Scott Stevens knocking out Paul Kariya with an open-ice check.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

JS Guigere winning the Conn Smythe when his Anaheim Ducks lost to the New Jersey Devils is what I'll always remember. Also Scott Stevens knocking out Paul Kariya with an open-ice check.

And then Kariya came back a few minutes later and scored a goal :black101:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Please don't remind me of that series

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

Please don't remind me of that series

Paul Kariya was my favorite player growing up and that series still makes me angry. Also they need to go back to those uniforms.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Paul Kariya was my favorite player growing up and that series still makes me angry. Also they need to go back to those uniforms.

Goddamn right they do.

I'm still salty about the stupid lottery last year

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/erikstrobl/status/1751807683861135522?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

https://x.com/Kameron_Sean/status/1752081095628140570?s=20

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Andy Reid is a good salesman

https://x.com/DTranquill/status/1752126646835097710?s=20

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

fartknocker posted:

He has the most satisfying stat line in hockey history. Exactly a point per game player. 989 games, 989 points.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

CMC should be MVP.

As a compromise he can be Super Bowl MVP

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Heinz Ward and Santonio Holmes are Superbowl MVPs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Heinz Ward and Santonio Holmes are Superbowl MVPs.

Joe Flacco

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

a neat cape posted:

There were big time debates about Lebron getting finals MVP on one of those teams that lost to the Warriors.

I wouldn't have complained

I've been a huge Warriors homer since 1997 or so, and I sure wasn't complaining. LeBron balled the gently caress out that series, he just needed help which he wasn't getting.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

mllaneza posted:

I've been a huge Warriors homer since 1997 or so, and I sure wasn't complaining. LeBron balled the gently caress out that series, he just needed help which he wasn't getting.

Love and Irving were both injured.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lebron was unquestionable and by far the best player in that series and should have gotten mvp

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Vox Nihili posted:

As a compromise he can be Super Bowl MVP

How many times has the SB MVP been on the losing team?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Is it legal if the strongest and biggest offensive lineman of a team just tosses the QB or the ball carrier to the endzone for a TD?

Imagine the fastball special from comics. But instead of Wolverine being thrown, it's someone like Kyler Murray going into the air for 6.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The best SB MVP is Nick Foles because he's the only JAG to win it from the QB position.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

Is it legal if the strongest and biggest offensive lineman of a team just tosses the QB or the ball carrier to the endzone for a TD?

Imagine the fastball special from comics. But instead of Wolverine being thrown, it's someone like Kyler Murray going into the air for 6.

The rules make it a penalty to “pull a runner in any direction”; it’s called assisting the runner. (That’s the NFL rule; the college rule is broader.) In principle that includes things like lifting them, although in practice you do regularly see players pulling runners up to keep them on their feet, and there hasn’t been a flag thrown for this in the NFL for like 30 years. There was a small controversy about this in the Eagles/Falcons game last year, actually:

https://twitter.com/footballzebras/status/1588343932190072839?s=46&t=ElVxy1GAH1plG_5hKKEhUA

That’s clearly supposed to be illegal, and Terry McAulay called it out in the broadcast, but, well, no flag.

Now, to answer your question, it’s unclear whether that rule is even supposed to ban throwing a runner. If you pick them off their feet and sling them, yes. If you “throw” them by just giving them a huge push up and forward? I dunno, and I don’t know if you could distinguish that from what regularly happens when someone tries to jump over the line anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fat Jesus posted:

CMC should be MVP.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Fat Jesus posted:

How many times has the SB MVP been on the losing team?

Only once, linebacker Chuck Howley of the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl V when they lost to the Baltimore Colts. The game was nicknamed the Blunder Bowl because it had like 12 combined turnovers and a ton a penalties and was an all around bad game by both teams, yet somehow ended with a field goal as time expired for the Colts to win.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Lebron was unquestionable and by far the best player in that series and should have gotten mvp

It's the best I've ever seen LeBron look

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

a neat cape posted:

It's the best I've ever seen LeBron look

Which is wild, because in the 2016 Finals, when he beat GSW, he led all players in every statistical category.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Which is wild, because in the 2016 Finals, when he beat GSW, he led all players in every statistical category.

That has to be considered his apex. He dragged those Cavs through a dynasty-level squad to that win. It was superhuman.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://x.com/ScottKacsmar/status/1752095018553082102?s=20

Josh Allen. Wills his team to win, like Mahomes. Elevates performance in offseason. let down by coaching.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean does anyone actually care about Super Bowl MVPs. If you win and are a QB you are MVP regardless

How dare you forget Desmond Howard.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean does anyone actually care about Super Bowl MVPs. If you win and are a QB you are MVP regardless

Sometimes defensive players get it for pantsing the QB live on television

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Pron on VHS posted:

https://x.com/ScottKacsmar/status/1752095018553082102?s=20

Josh Allen. Wills his team to win, like Mahomes. Elevates performance in offseason. let down by coaching.

Definitely would agree with that after several playoff appearances. Watching the Dolphins and, more so, the Ravens I was like “this is the team people thought was really good?” I hadn’t seen the Ravens all year so was just kind of surprised at the product delivered vs the hype. Playoff experience is the ultimate advantage and the more you get of it the more powerful you become, I think. Probably a big part of the Patriots continued success during their dynasty, too.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Spags the god

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Playoff experience is not real. John Harbaugh the Ravens "coach" if you can call him that has loads of that and it didn't stop the Ravens from having a bafflingly terrible gameplan that tried to attack the other team's strength with its own weakness.

A couple weeks ago the Joe Flacco-led browns absolutely melted down against a team with a rookie QB and rookie head coach. Joe Burrow took his team to the SB his very first go and beat the Chiefs in KC on the way there.

I think most of the coaches in this league are just dumb as bricks and the Chiefs are very fortunate to have the best coach of this century along with a generational talent at QB. Until other teams in the AFC get up to that standard it'll be the Chiefs most years.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

John Harbaugh the best coach of this century

:agreed:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Kawalimus posted:

John Harbaugh the Ravens "coach" if you can call him that

You can absolutely call him that considering he's, quite literally, the actual coach of your incredibly successful football team. hth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Black Sunshine posted:

You can absolutely call him that considering he's, quite literally, the actual coach of your incredibly successful football team. hth

I think he’s implying John prefers another title. Commissar

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The worst part of the Ravens losing is that Kawa is going to use it as carte blanche to piss and moan about one of the most successful active coaches in the NFL.

I mean he would have done it anyway but now it’s going to be extra annoying

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Freaquency posted:

The worst part of the Ravens losing is that Kawa is going to use it as carte blanche to piss and moan about one of the most successful active coaches in the NFL.

I mean he would have done it anyway but now it’s going to be extra annoying

If the Ravens had won the Super Bowl he'd be whining about Harbaugh not retiring.

Kawalimus is inevitable

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jim Harbaugh matched up with Justin Herbert will be interesting

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1752388531803050219

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Flikken posted:

If the Ravens had won the Super Bowl he'd be whining about Harbaugh not retiring.

Kawalimus is inevitable

I was considering calling a permanent cease fire against Harbaugh if we won the SB. But no longer.